Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 12:43   #556

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Me too.

I have some hope for September if there is no increase in negativity towards tourists and I can figure out a way to work remotely. I'm watching BC's numbers closely and start cringing every time the numbers bump. It's why the topic of Americans in Canada makes me sensitive...anything that impacts my future travel plans is a definite sore spot.
Yep. BC's numbers are spiking. Nova Scotia is the only area that has a handle on it. Be safe!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:43   #557

Putting this issue into perspective, hard numbers.

U.S. travel to Canada is still at dramatically low levels three months into dramatic pandemic restrictions.
From June 15 to 21, which is the most recent data available from Canada Border Services Agency, overall inbound travel at Canada’s international airports was down 96 per cent, compared with the same time period last year. At Canada’s land borders, total travel into Canada was down 86 per cent in the same comparison period.

On Sunday, June 21, for example, there were just 1,193 people arriving on flights from the United States. Last year, a comparable day saw 56,243 people on Canada-bound U.S. flights, a drop of 98 per cent.
On that same day, 6,175 people arrived in Canada from the United States by road, not including commercial truck drivers. Last year, a comparable day saw 216,972 crossings, a drop of 97 per cent. Not a single person arrived by rail.

Even cross-border commercial truck travel is down — by 11 per cent in a recent weekly period — despite commercial shipments facing no unusual border restrictions under COVID-19 protocols.

Of all of the people coming into Canada from the United States from June 15 to June 21, most crossed at a land border point, which is typical in normal times as well.

In total, for the week from June 15 to June 21, there were 170,998 people coming into Canada at a land border crossing, and most of those were commercial truck drivers. The comparable period last year saw 1,217,845 people crossing. Of those land crossings, 104,247 were truck drivers. Under normal circumstances, other travellers outnumber truck drivers 10 to one.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:52   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Are you sure Canada has a handle on Covid?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ection.html#a1

Canada Covid mortality rate is 7.44%.
US mortality rate: 3.19%

Keep up the good work.
The key metric for mortality is deaths per capita, not deaths per case.

USA 509 deaths per million population, which varies drastically be individual State statisitic. E.g., the highest so far is New Jersey at 1,797 per million, the lowest is Hawaii at 24 per milion.

Canada is at 238 deaths per million.

The USA deaths per million of population places as 10th highest in the world and Canada is at 25th.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:57   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The key metric for mortality is deaths per capita, not deaths per case.

USA 509 deaths per million population, which varies drastically be individual State statisitic. E.g., the highest so far is New Jersey at 1,797 per million, the lowest is Hawaii at 24 per milion.

Canada is at 238 deaths per million.

The USA deaths per million of population places as 10th highest in the world and Canada is at 25th.
Canada is at least a month behind the US in the Covid battle. You'll catch up, give it time and look at the graph I posted the link to. Didn't mean to confuse anyone with science and the facts.

The mortality rate speaks to the quality of healthcare.
Old 12-08-2020, 13:14   #560

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Indeed complex and indeed somehow politicized too.
Let’s keep in mind Canada is way smaller country in terms of population than the US, more rural and, in many locations like mine (Alberta), a bit backward compared to cosmopolitan areas. Also Canadians are in general less reactive and tend to peacefully accept political measures than the US with a very strong tradition of individual freedoms and somehow aggressive (in a positive way) individualistic values. Yep, we are different in several points.
Say what??? less than 20% of Canadians live in rural communities, the US is actually about the same......
Old 12-08-2020, 13:19   #561

Death rates per million people

US 509 per million
Canada 238 per million

Don’t know where you get your stats.....just saying
Old 12-08-2020, 13:24   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post

US 509 per million
Canada 238 per million

They are the alternative kind. Just better to add to your ignore list, life is too short.
Old 12-08-2020, 13:24   #563

Quote:
Canada is at least a month behind the US in the Covid battle. You'll catch up, give it time and look at the graph I posted the link to. Didn't mean to confuse anyone with science and the facts.

The mortality rate speaks to the quality of healthcare.
I’m out of here he is just trolling, I think I’ll move over to Van Island side of the Sound, the sockeye are starting a run.....
Old 12-08-2020, 13:24   #564

Quote:

US 509 per million
Canada 238 per million

I gave what I said I gave, mortality rate.

Mortality rate= total deaths by Covid/total Covid infections.
Old 12-08-2020, 14:19   #565

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Say what??? less than 20% of Canadians live in rural communities, the US is actually about the same......

As you can read, I didn’t say more live in rural areas, I said we have less huge urban cities, our mentality is more rural (for lack of better words). Alberta and many other provinces, even with somehow big cities in them, are small and people live in them with the small mindset (compared to absolutely huge urban cities in the US). My reflection is, we have a different mind set in this regard.
You have probably been in huge US cities (I’ve been in Miami, New York, San Francisco, Denver...) we just don’t have this. With huge cities, the mentality is different, the social component changes and the social fabric works differently.
Old 12-08-2020, 14:27   #566

Quote:
As you can read, I didn’t say more live in rural areas, I said we have less huge urban cities, our mentality is more rural (for lack of better words). Alberta and many other provinces, even with somehow big cities in them, are small and people live in them with the small mindset (compared to absolutely huge urban cities in the US). My reflection is, we have a different mind set in this regard.
You have probably been in huge US cities (I’ve been in Miami, New York, San Francisco, Denver...) we just don’t have this. With huge cities, the mentality is different, the social component changes and the social fabric works differently.
Yes it does. I've lived in different parts of the US and each has it's own personality. Different mind sets. There are blue states, red states, purple states.
Old 12-08-2020, 15:03   #567

Quote:
First summer locked in Alberta for two months.... I usually go to BC and catch a sailing class or sailing experience but not this year....
Some schools are open. I was out last week and I am headed out next week. I also have 1 confirmed course in September and maybe two more in the works.
Old 12-08-2020, 15:22   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Some schools are open. I was out last week and I am headed out next week. I also have 1 confirmed course in September and maybe two more in the works.
That's good news. Glad not everyone is putting their lives on the back burner. Lets all hope for an effective vaccine sooner rather than later.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:44   #569

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Getting the infection rate down at all costs is ridiculous. It's not a simple binary problem and cant be dealt with that way. Going too far with the shutdowns could destroy economies for a generation.
Actually evidence is no emerging that countries with stronger shutdown measures are showing much stronger and faster economic recovery. The US and Canada had similar numbers of people getting back to work in July but with the US economy being 10x as large. To me, the best approach seems to be hit it hard as early as you can, get the numbers down as much as possible to a sustainable level and then get back to work with strong masking and social distancing requirements. Ontario (with 14+ million people) has been averaging fewer than 100 new cases a day for a few weeks with 10 or so deaths. The problem with the US approach is that they are experiencing the worst of all worlds - cases and deaths are high, the economy is being ruined and the sacrifices that people are making are being wasted.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:54   #570

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Indeed complex and indeed somehow politicized too.
Let’s keep in mind Canada is way smaller country in terms of population than the US, more rural and, in many locations like mine (Alberta), a bit backward compared to cosmopolitan areas. Also Canadians are in general less reactive and tend to peacefully accept political measures than the US with a very strong tradition of individual freedoms and somehow aggressive (in a positive way) individualistic values. Yep, we are different in several points.
Actually the amount of urbanization in the two countries is almost identical at around 81%. Perhaps it depends on what one sees where they live. The maps here are quite interesting.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...on-visualized/