Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 17:04   #571

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The concluding line is pretty much how I feel:

Until the USA can get their act together to contain the outbreak, I don't see how we have much choice. But that just makes me really sad.

Mike,

Trying to stay out of this argument as much as possible. But some stuff I want to share with you.

First is this article which has some interesting and somewhat hopeful ideas.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...-immunity.html

Second is I have come across more articles mentioning the low death rates across Asia and Africa.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c0e_story.html

I have finally come up with an idea about this. Not saying it’s correct but it’s the only thing that sort of aligns with facts.

We all know corona is made much worse by obesity; apparently a BMI or 35 or greater is not good. Obesity is much higher in the West than in Asia; about 30% in the USA vs. 6% in China. But also I’ve been reading about the connection between cancer and diet, and how fasting MAY have a positive effect, which deals with allowing T-cells to clean up cellular detritus by not loading them with fat cells to lug around. . And now there is this discussion about how T-cells are containing the immunity, but it’s really hard to test for, so we have no idea how strong or prevalent it is.

Sooooo, maybe, in cultures where folks are more trim (Asia) and they typically have fasting periods their T-cells are less burdened by fat management and they have the opportunity to manage the virus. When folks are obese their T-cells response is muted and they are more susceptible to the virus.

I’ve no idea if this is correct, but it does align with the statistics

You can see the Asian low death rates clearly at the worldometer spreadsheet. You can sort by column and also look just at various regions. It’s more obvious if you look at cents asia, less so in the Mideast.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It’s also pretty clear if you look at ourworldindata and compare the obesity level maps with the corona death Rate maps. Excepting South America, that’s something different.

Also google: Covid obesity t-cell
Gets interesting.
Old 12-08-2020, 17:42   #572

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,

Trying to stay out of this argument as much as possible. But some stuff I want to share with you.

First is this article which has some interesting and somewhat hopeful ideas.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...-immunity.html

Second is I have come across more articles mentioning the low death rates across Asia and Africa. I have finally come up with an idea about this. Not saying it’s correct but it’s the only thing that sort of aligns with facts.

We all know corona is made much worse by obesity; apparently a BMI or 35 or greater is not good. Obesity is much higher in the West than in Asia; about 30% in the USA vs. 6% in China. But also I’ve been reading about the connection between cancer and diet, and how fasting MAY have a positive effect, which deals with allowing T-cells to clean up cellular detritus by not loading them with fat cells to lug around. . And now there is this discussion about how T-cells are containing the immunity, but it’s really hard to test for, so we have no idea how strong or prevalent it is.

Sooooo, maybe, in cultures where folks are more trim (Asia) and they typically have fasting periods their T-cells are less burdened by fat management and they have the opportunity to manage the virus. When folks are obese their T-cells response is muted and they are more susceptible to the virus.

You can see the Asian low death rates clearly at the worldometer spreadsheet. You can sort by column and also look just at various regions. It’s more obvious if you look at cents asia, less so in the Mideast.

It’s also pretty clear if you look at ourworldindata and compare the obesity level maps with the corona death Rate maps. Excepting South America, that’s something different.

Gets interesting.
I've kept my distance from this one also.

Covid is still too hot a topic to give any credibility to any "studies" on it. After all, it's an election year. About all you can do is take the steps you feel necessary to protect yourself and go about your life. Remember, it's still the first inning of the Covid fight.

I do agree obesity and Covid is a bad combination.
Old 12-08-2020, 17:51   #573

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I’m out of here he is just trolling, I think I’ll move over to Van Island side of the Sound, the sockeye are starting a run.....

Exactly. Please folks. I know it's hard, but don't feed the troll and he'll scuttle away.
Old 12-08-2020, 18:02   #574

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
...Sooooo, maybe, in cultures where folks are more trim (Asia) and they typically have fasting periods their T-cells are less burdened by fat management and they have the opportunity to manage the virus. When folks are obese their T-cells response is muted and they are more susceptible to the virus.

Gets interesting.
It's an interesting correlation Howard, but I certainly wouldn't jump to causation. We know that health status correlates well with more severe outcomes, and obesity is a market for poor health status, so it could simply be that.

Canadian obesity rates are lower than the USA (is anyone higher?), but they're not much lower. Yet our mortality rates are 1/2 the USA (real mortality rate, not some made up politi-fact)

Asian nations tend to be more collectivist and have higher levels of social capital and trust. My theory has been this will remain a key determinant of societal outcomes.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:19   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's an interesting correlation Howard, but I certainly wouldn't jump to causation. We know that health status correlates well with more severe outcomes, and obesity is a market for poor health status, so it could simply be that.

Canadian obesity rates are lower than the USA (is anyone higher?), but they're not much lower. Yet our mortality rates are 1/2 the USA (real mortality rate, not some made up politi-fact)

Asian nations tend to be more collectivist and have higher levels of social capital and trust. My theory has been this will remain a key determinant of societal outcomes.
Atta boy, don't let the facts stand in your way. I gave you the link, use it!
Old 12-08-2020, 20:25   #576

Canada: 9006 deaths/121000 cases=7.44%

US: 166000 deaths/5210000 cases= 3.19%

Where would you like to be treated for Covid?

By the way, your rate will increase slightly since you lag the US in the Covid outbreak.
Good luck!!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 20:38   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post

By the way, your rate will increase slightly since you lag the US in the Covid outbreak.
Good luck!!!!

Interesting approach.

The American president incorrectly presents testing in his country, and you quote statistics based on cases that are, not even arguably, questionable, if not completely bogus?

Have we ever seen American statistics about recoveries, as is published in Canada?

I'd like to be treated in an UN overwhelmed hospital.

Lag outbreak? Hahahahaha. Outbreaks are created by folks who don't practice the basics.

It's very simple. Too bad so many can't get their heads around caring for their fellow citizens.

wear a mask, wash Your hands, watch your distance

be kind be calm be safe

“Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.”

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 12-08-2020, 20:46   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Interesting approach.

The American president incorrectly presents testing in his country, and you quote statistics based on cases that are, not even arguably, questionable, if not completely bogus?

]
First off, the president doesn't keep the data or collect the data. Secondly the mortality rate is not a function of testing. I agree that most of what we read is bogus. Covid is much worse than we are being led to believe.

Show me your numbers with a link where they came from.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:46   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post

I much prefer the place that works harder at prevention (so there's less chance of me getting it), treats healthcare as a basic human necessity, isn't charging for testing, and I would prefer to avoid the place where approx half the population thinks it's a hoax, or simply DGAF. Thanks for asking, though.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:47   #580

This all may all be mute. Russia claims to have a vaccine. Lets hope its more effective than the ones being tested in the US.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:51   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I much prefer the place that works harder at prevention (so there's less chance of me getting it), treats healthcare as a basic human necessity, isn't charging for testing, and I would prefer to avoid the place where approx half the population thinks it's a hoax, or simply DGAF. Thanks for asking, though.
You think half the population of the US thinks it's a hoax? That's hilarious!!!!!!Talk about brainwashed.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:58   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I'd like to be treated in an UN overwhelmed hospital.
If I'm not mistaken didn't the US drastically cut funding to the UN?
Old 13-08-2020, 04:43   #583

So now Biden's VP and Senior advisor both went to school equally ranked 104th in the country. My school in Australia is about a hundred places in front if they are even on the world rankings.

I don't need you to have a good education to be my friend but i'd like the people running the most powerful country in the world to at least have one.
Old 13-08-2020, 04:49   #584

Please, can we get this thread back to Canada?
Old 13-08-2020, 04:52   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
So now Biden's VP and Senior advisor both went to school equally ranked 104th in the country. My school in Australia is about a hundred places in front if they are even on the world rankings.

I don't need you to have a good education to be my friend but i'd like the people running the most powerful country in the world to at least have one.
Don't worry. The military runs this country, the Pres is just the face man.