Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 04:13   #721
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Health Canada's evolving recall list now (Oct 13) includes more than 100 products that may pose health risks.

“Recall of certain hand sanitizers that may pose health risks”
Starting date: June 17, 2020 ➛ Posting date: October 13, 2020
https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73385a-eng.php

The COVID-19 pandemic created high demand for hand sanitizers. Health Canada said in June that it permitted the temporary use of technical grade ethanol — if manufacturers chose an authorized supplier and obtained Health Canada's permission first.
Technical grade ethanol contains more impurities that pharmaceutical or food grade ethanol, so it requires a warning that the products are only for adults, not for those pregnant or breastfeeding and shouldn't be inhaled or used on damaged skin.
Some of the products also used unauthorized denaturants, like methanol, which are added to ethanol to make it taste bad and discourage someone from intentionally or unintentionally ingesting hand sanitizer. Reactions to frequent use of a hand sanitizer containing methanol could cause dermatitis, eye irritation, upper respiratory system irritation and headaches.
When washing hands with soap and water isn't an option, Health Canada suggests checking its list of alcohol-based hand sanitizers that have been authorized for sale in Canada.
“Hard-surface disinfectants and hand sanitizers (COVID-19): List of hand sanitizers authorized by Health Canada”
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...sanitizer.html

Old 14-10-2020, 08:16   #722

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Yup. If there is an important reason for public safety. (Would be difficult to argue that banning travel OUT of Canada would harm health of Canadians.)

Interprovincial travel bans recently upheld in a lower court (re Newfoundland and Labrador ban) but time will see if it goes as far as, Supreme Court.
I was going to say, the NFLD ban is in the process of being challenged in the courts. It was upheld at the provincial Supreme Court level, but could be appealed to the Federal Supreme Court. I haven't heard if that is going to happen yet ... anyone?

And Canada can apparently restrict foreign travel as well. It was done around Canadians traveling to ISIS-controlled territories for the purpose of joining the caliphate. I assume this was done under some sort of national security guise.

The question remains; why with an apparent joint agreement, is the USA only restricting land travel, but not air? The agreement seems clear that ALL discretionary (non-essential) travel should be eliminated.

Again, it's no skin of Canada's brow. In fact, it's great for our citizens. It just seems odd the USA would enter into this joint agreement, then not follow through on it.

Perhaps they look at Canada's Covid-19 numbers in general, and have decided air travel, which is dominated by higher-income people that are less likely to get infected, is a reasonable risk.
Old 14-10-2020, 09:37   #723

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Yup. If there is an important reason for public safety. (Would be difficult to argue that banning travel OUT of Canada would harm health of Canadians.)

Interprovincial travel bans recently upheld in a lower court (re Newfoundland and Labrador ban) but time will see if it goes as far as, Supreme Court.
I disagree. If the reason that US citizens can not travel to Canada (even with testing and quarantine) is because the US is not a safe place to be, then it is logically consistent that travel out of Canada to the US would not be safe for those doing the traveling. The mere act of traveling to the US could harm the health of those Canadians. Yet, from the Canadian government perspective, they are perfectly allowed to do it. That is what is a bit perplexing, but no one has ever said that government must always make sense.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 14-10-2020, 10:32   #724

Boat: Hunter 386

I get that these threads have been a bit contentious at times but could we consider removing Moderator approval for this one since we've been good for a while?

The weird delay makes for some pretty awkward communication.

Just asking...
Old 14-10-2020, 13:05   #725

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Mac Blaze,

I've reported your post, above, and asked one of the administrator moderators if the requirement can be removed. The issue will be discussed and if the answer is yes, things will be easier for you guys soon. At the time the restriction went on, it was after a number of off topic/political deletions. The requirement has at least kept them out. Either way, it is extra work for the moderators, and I don't know how the decision will go, and I'm not eveb sure it CAN be removed.

Ann
Old 14-10-2020, 17:26   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I get that these threads have been a bit contentious at times but could we consider removing Moderator approval for this one since we've been good for a while?

The weird delay makes for some pretty awkward communication.

Just asking...

I was going to request the same.
Old 18-10-2020, 03:48   #727
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Trudeau and Trump are worlds apart on the Canada-U.S. border closure
Trudeau: “We keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders,"
Trump: "We're looking at the border with Canada — Canada would like it open,"
"So we're gonna be opening the borders pretty soon.... We want to get back to normal business."

More https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tru...sure-1.5765323

Old 19-10-2020, 09:39   #728

Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, announced Monday the non-essential travel restrictions between the Canada-U.S. border will remain until at least Nov. 21.

“Our decisions will continue to be based on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair’s tweet reads.
Old 19-10-2020, 13:19   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, announced Monday the non-essential travel restrictions between the Canada-U.S. border will remain until at least Nov. 21.

“Our decisions will continue to be based on the best public health advice available to keep Canadians safe,” Blair’s tweet reads.
Agreed, although as I mentioned in that other thread, I'm not clear what criteria they are using.

Is it the overall infection number in the USA? Is it the number of people being infected by each new case (the R0 value). Is it the positivity rate of testing? Is it the lack of vaccine? Is it the proportion of the population demonstrating good pandemic practices (physical distancing, mask wearing, etc.) Or is it a change of leadership?

What's the criteria by which these month-to-month border decisions are being made?
Old 20-10-2020, 12:07   #730

N.L.'s COVID-19 travel ban decision to be appealed, Canadian Civil Liberties Association says

I guess this thread remains condemned to purgatory. Clearly it's not needed anymore. Since this is the only one dedicated to Canadian Covid-19 news, I find this rather disappointing.
Old 20-10-2020, 19:18   #731
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

All my family are in Canada Mike, so I follow with intrest.

My brother in Edmonton tells me that even though most Albertans are careful in crowds, the number.of positive tests are increasing

It does make sense for Canada to wait until after the elections before deciding on changing US border issues.
Old 21-10-2020, 10:43   #732
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

EU removes Canadians from list of approved travellers because of COVID-19
In July, the EU set up a so-called white list of countries whose citizens would be allowed access for non-essential travel. Canada had been on the approved ‘white’ list from Day 1, along with 14 other countries. According to Reuters, Bloomberg and other reports, they have decided to remove three countries — Canada, Tunisia and Georgia — while adding Singapore to the approved travel list.
After the changes, the white list consists of nine countries: Australia, China, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Uruguay.
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/business/eu-...nada-1.5770782

Note to Moderators: Thanks for releasing this thread from 'quarantine'.

Old 21-10-2020, 12:50   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
All my family are in Canada Mike, so I follow with intrest.

My brother in Edmonton tells me that even though most Albertans are careful in crowds, the number.of positive tests are increasing

It does make sense for Canada to wait until after the elections before deciding on changing US border issues.
Yes indeed. Our numbers are surging, just like almost everywhere else. I think Alberta is hitting record numbers of new cases now -- worse than in the Spring. So too with Ontario and Quebec.

Our numbers are still pretty low compared to most of the USA. Our worst province (Quebec) comes in 35th on a high-to-low ranking of states and provinces. But all the trends are looking bad.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033

And now we this latest move by the EU (as posted by Gord):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
EU removes Canadians from list of approved travellers because of COVID-19
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/business/eu-...nada-1.5770782
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Note to Moderators: Thanks for releasing this thread from 'quarantine'.

When I hit reply I still get the warning that this thread is under direct moderator control. It's still in the "COVID-19 | Containment Area", but I can see it in the the "Today's posts" section. Not sure if this means it shows up for most people.
Old 21-10-2020, 15:09   #734

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys, I have reported the issue to an administrator, again. I do not know if it is possible to remove the post moderation requirement once issued. I actually had thought it had been removed, but I guess not.

I know it wasn't all of you who messed up, but at the time, it was either put on the control or close the thread. And we thought it was a good idea to have a Canadian thread if you wanted it. Someone checks the posts each day, sometimes more than once a day. Sorry for the inconvenience...but it is inconvenient for us, as well.

Ann
Old 21-10-2020, 17:05   #735
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Curious to know which is the best Tracking App....that shows by country and province, the number of Tests per capita and the results?