Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 18:17   #736
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes indeed. Our numbers are surging, just like almost everywhere else. I think Alberta is hitting record numbers of new cases now -- worse than in the Spring. So too with Ontario and Quebec.

Our numbers are still pretty low compared to most of the USA. Our worst province (Quebec) comes in 35th on a high-to-low ranking of states and provinces. But all the trends are looking bad.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033

And now we this latest move by the EU (as posted by Gord):

When I hit reply I still get the warning that this thread is under direct moderator control. It's still in the "COVID-19 | Containment Area", but I can see it in the the "Today's posts" section. Not sure if this means it shows up for most people.
It still has a delay.....
...in this case my last post has still not been put up after more than an hour .
Maybe that delay is not reversible and we should start a new Canada Specific thread on Covid related developments
I know Canadian expats would appreciate updates from our Canadian members who are back home.
Old 22-10-2020, 09:22   #737

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It still has a delay.....
...in this case my last post has still not been put up after more than an hour .
Shocking isn't it, what are all those unpaid volunteer moderators doing exactly

Perhaps they have gone sailing or working on their boats
Old 22-10-2020, 09:26   #738

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Mac Blaze,

I've reported your post, above, and asked one of the administrator moderators if the requirement can be removed. The issue will be discussed and if the answer is yes, things will be easier for you guys soon. At the time the restriction went on, it was after a number of off topic/political deletions. The requirement has at least kept them out. Either way, it is extra work for the moderators, and I don't know how the decision will go, and I'm not even sure it CAN be removed.

Ann
I have taken the moderation off the thread because everyone promised to behave.

Pete
Old 22-10-2020, 09:31   #739

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have taken the moderation off the thread because everyone promised to behave.

Pete
Just testing... and Thanks!
Old 22-10-2020, 09:37   #740

So confusing...I got a promotion email from Air Canada vacations saying Grenada flights for vacations are going to be available and there is no quarantine as long as you present a test. Yaaay. I want to go for a 1 week Catamaran sailing course and trip in Grenada to learn to bareboat charter and there is a course available in November.
Then I look at the website of countries with no quarantine and Canada isn't on the list...so as per the website it's 3 days quarantine - no bueno! I sent an email to my travel agent but for now this sucks. I don't know how people will book any kind of training with things in flux like this day to day
https://covid19.gov.gd/low-risk/

It's as good as winter so there's no sailing or training here...this sucks
Old 22-10-2020, 09:45   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
So confusing...I got a promotion email from Air Canada vacations saying Grenada flights for vacations are going to be available and there is no quarantine as long as you present a test. Yaaay. I want to go for a 1 week Catamaran sailing course and trip in Grenada to learn to bareboat charter and there is a course available in November.
Then I look at the website of countries with no quarantine and Canada isn't on the list...so as per the website it's 3 days quarantine - no bueno! I sent an email to my travel agent but for now this sucks. I don't know how people will book any kind of training with things in flux like this day to day
https://covid19.gov.gd/low-risk/

It's winter so there's no sailing or training here...this sucks
I've been ignoring the Air Canada notifications - your travel agent is probably more up on the details than they are... too busy trying to stay afloat ...

Come out to BC. Great sailing in the winter, just not bikini weather Seriously though, you could have great course, some good experience and they all have heaters. And its a cat... no claustrophobia. Although given our current trends there are no guarantees in Canada either.
Old 22-10-2020, 09:59   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I've been ignoring the Air Canada notifications - your travel agent is probably more up on the details than they are... too busy trying to stay afloat ...

Come out to BC. Great sailing in the winter, just not bikini weather Seriously though, you could have great course, some good experience and they all have heaters. And its a cat... no claustrophobia. Although given our current trends there are no guarantees in Canada either.
I'd be down to doing a 7 day Cansail bareboat course in BC, since I've done Cansail Basic cruising. I did email Nanaimo and Simply sailing but only got a response from Simply that they can't help me until i do Basic Coastal Navigation. That's why I was looking at Grenada as their course is a complete package - ASA103, 104 and 114.

If you can refer me to anyone else in BC I'd love to cruise BC too.
Old 22-10-2020, 10:04   #743

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Curious to know which is the best Tracking App....that shows by country and province, the number of Tests per capita and the results?
perhaps
https://www.covid-19canada.com/

and there is
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 22-10-2020, 10:05   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
I'd be down to doing a 7 day Cansail bareboat course in BC, since I've done Cansail Basic cruising. I did email Nanaimo and Simply sailing but only got a response from Simply that they can't help me until i do Basic Coastal Navigation. That's why I was looking at Grenada as their course is a complete package - ASA103, 104 and 114.

If you can refer me to anyone else in BC I'd love to cruise BC too.
Ah. You're going to have to do the Coastal Navigation for BC Waters. Wicked tidal rapids and currents so they mostly insist on it. It's self study and not that hard and well worth it for any sailor.

I'd suggest Nanaimo as they have two almost new Lagoon 42s. Although I am a bit prejudiced but give them a call. I believe they are teaching IYT now but it makes very little difference imho. DM me if you need any details.
Old 22-10-2020, 10:48   #745

Boat: Rafiki 37

Here's an interesting development:

Alberta to pilot COVID-19 testing at border that would shorten quarantine time
Old 22-10-2020, 13:55   #746

Quote:
Quote:
It will be available for foreign essential workers — truckers, health-care workers and other workers who are exempt from the current federal travel ban — and any Canadian citizens returning to the country through Alberta.
So mostly a business decision. Be interesting to see if it spreads a) to other provinces or b) to other categories of travellers.
Old 22-10-2020, 17:32   #747
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
My brother mentioned something about the US wanting to build a tanker railway along with pipeline thru Alberta, which I guess would be a big boost to their economy
No Politics Please!
Old 23-10-2020, 08:58   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Ah. You're going to have to do the Coastal Navigation for BC Waters. Wicked tidal rapids and currents so they mostly insist on it. It's self study and not that hard and well worth it for any sailor.

I'd suggest Nanaimo as they have two almost new Lagoon 42s. Although I am a bit prejudiced but give them a call. I believe they are teaching IYT now but it makes very little difference imho. DM me if you need any details.
gymrat

I do some teaching for Nanaimo - both CRYA and IYT. I might also be able to help with any questions.

I will PM you.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:16   #749

Boat: Rafiki 37

Here's an interesting CBC story:

Police issued 77 fines, charged 7 people for breaking Canada's COVID-19 quarantine rules

The headline is accurate, but misleading. When you add in the subhead:

Quote:
More than a million people have been required to quarantine upon entering Canada
That means there have only been 77 charges against a pool of more than one million. That is a tiny proportion.

The story goes on to explain that this doesn't include other provincial or municipal enforcement actions, and it adds right near the bottom: "RCMP responded to more than 9,500 incidents between March and June where people violated provincial or territorial COVID-19-related regulations."

But even if you assume the charge rate is lower by a factor or even two, it still means the vast, vast majority of people are following the rules and behaving responsibly (at least around the quarantine requirement).
Old 26-10-2020, 04:19   #750
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Canada's transport regulator hasn't settled a single COVID-19 flight cancellation complaint
The Canadian Transportation Agency says it's in the process of reviewing (about 17,300) complaints, received during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The delay is partially due to a two-year backlog of complaints the CTA received before the pandemic struck. The backlog is tied to a significant influx of complaints received after new air passenger protection regulations came into effect in December 2019.
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...ints-1.5776622