Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 12:30   #781
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

The Canadian government is reviewing a proposal from the NBA and the Raptors to play in Toronto, amid the pandemic.
The NBA season is set to open Dec. 22, with training camps beginning in about two weeks. Time is running out for the Raptors.
The Blue Jays failed to persuade the federal government to grant exemptions, and played home games in Buffalo this year.
Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Nashville have been reported as potential US destinations, for the Raptors.

Old 18-11-2020, 12:53   #782

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Humph! You clearly haven't visited Lewisporte, you could die of thirst there. One kinda sorts is maybe a bar.

As my sister says “Damn Pentacostals.”

LOL, makes no matter to me anymore, gout has put an end to my drinking.

Damn gout!

Damn shame, it is! Allopurinol. Works for me.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 18-11-2020, 13:38   #783

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Damn shame indeed! No one told me about Lewisporte. I just arrived there (two seasons ago now). Had I known about the lack good pubs I might have pressed on .
Old 18-11-2020, 13:55   #784

B.C. premier calls for 'pan-Canadian approach' to non-essential travel, Ontario weighs lockdown in hot spots

Quote:
British Columbia Premier John Horgan is calling on the federal government to implement a "pan-Canadian approach" to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, as infections continue to surge in many parts of Canada.

Horgan said people should not be travelling in and out of B.C. unless on essential business.

"I'm asking the federal government to work with us and other provinces to get the message out that if you do not need to travel between jurisdictions, you shouldn't do that," he said.
This would be another serious kick to me. I've got a winter house sit that depends on recreational travel to BC (not mine ... the house owners).
Old 18-11-2020, 15:52   #785

COVID-19 in Canada:

B.C. premier wants Canada-wide travel rules

British Columbia Premier John Horgan is calling on the federal government to work on a pan-Canadian approach to travel.

“We need to make sure that those who want to come to British Columbia must only do so if it is essential for their business or their well-being,” Horgan said at a press conference on Wednesday. “Beyond that, we need to stay in our tight social circles.”

“I’m not requesting the federal government to impose anything on any other jurisdiction in Canada. I’m asking the federal government to work with us and other provinces to get the message out that if you do not have to travel between jurisdiction, you shouldn’t do so.”

The premier went on to say that he is “confident” that prime minister will take the opportunity to broadly tell all Canadians to stay where they live and reduce social interactions.

Horgan stated that non-essential travel is prohibited and British Columbia and it will remain that way for “at least” the next two weeks.

Ontario to announce more COVID-19 measures on Friday

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said that the public should “be prepared” for Friday when the provincial government is expected to announce new, more restrictive measures.

And he went on to respond to reports of people “harassing” the chief medical officer of the Niagara region after opponents of the restrictions posting his phone number online, when more restrictive measures were added to restaurants in the area.

“I’ve got to ask the people that are harassing the chief medical officer, would you be harassing your own doctor if he said you should follow these protocols?” Ford said. “You think this is great, to give out his phone number and start harassing a [doctor] that’s been working [his] back off? It’s ridiculous.”

“I’m getting so tired of these anti-maskers, the world is fine, everyone just go out there. Yeah it’s OK for some people, if they get it god willing they get through it. How about their parents? How about their grandparents? My prayers and thoughts go out to the teacher that lost her life over COVID, how about other people?”

“Do not have birthday parties, do not have sleepovers, it’s dangerous,” Ford said. “It has to stop. We’re looking at lockdown if this continues in Peel and Toronto and York.”
Old 18-11-2020, 15:55   #786

U.S., Canada, Mexico to extend border travel restrictions until at least Dec. 21.

U.S. land borders with Canada and Mexico are expected to remain closed to non-essential travel until Dec. 21 at the earliest amid a rising number of U.S. coronavirus cases, officials in Washington and Ottawa told Reuters.

The current restrictions expire on Saturday and the three countries are expected to approve another 30-day extension, the official said on Wednesday. The United States leads the world in COVID-19 cases and deaths.

The restrictions were first put in place in March to control the spread of COVID-19 and have been extended on a monthly basis ever since.

The restrictions are particularly painful for U.S. and Canadian towns along the border that are tightly intertwined.

Statistics Canada said earlier that U.S. visits to Canada by automobile had plummeted by more than 95% in August from August 2019.
Old 18-11-2020, 17:04   #787

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I have ONE medicine allergy.

Yup, thats it! #%^*!!!!!
Old 19-11-2020, 07:32   #788
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

150 COVID-19 patients now in Ontario ICUs, hitting key threshold to impact other procedures
Provincial modelling, released in September by the Ministry of Health, noted that with under 150 COVID-19 patients in ICUs, Ontario would be able to maintain non-COVID capacity and all scheduled surgeries.
Above 150 it becomes harder to support non-COVID care needs, and above 350 it becomes impossible.
More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...d-19-1.5807361

Old 19-11-2020, 18:11   #789

Sign for our times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antimaskers.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	227267  
Old 19-11-2020, 19:05   #790

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Sign for our times.
+1
Old 20-11-2020, 11:42   #791

A dark winter.

Canada’s top health officials have stated that stricter measures need to be implemented to slow the spread of COVID-19. If the existing restrictions are maintained, with no additional measures put in place, the latest modelling data shows that the country will see more than 20,000 COVID-19 cases a day by the end of the year. If Canadians increase their contacts, cases could surge to 60,000 per day.

“This will require combined effort of individual Canadians and public health authorities in order to sufficiently reduce the current number of people we come into contact with each day,” Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer said at a press conference on Friday.

“Keep to your household. Household doesn’t mean your university student son who’s living somewhere else. Household means the people that you’ve been living with in the last 14 days, keep to those right now because that is going to reduce the contact rate substantially.”

Dr. Tam said it’s going to be a “very different Christmas” and Canadians need to have a stern but difficult talk to their family members about public health measures that will have to be followed over the holidays.

“Having the talk takes on a different meaning right now,” she said. “You have to plan ahead.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid19-c...161543186.html
Old 20-11-2020, 13:08   #792
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Raptors denied request to play home games in Toronto, will begin season in Tampa
The Toronto Raptors will begin the 20/21 season playing in Tampa, Fla., after their request to play home games in Toronto was denied by the federal government.

"Ultimately, the current public health situation facing Canadians, combined with the urgent need to determine where we will play means that we will begin our 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida. We want to thank all levels of government and their public health officials for their dedication to this process, and for looking after the health of Canadians."

The Raptors will play out of 20,500-seat Amalie Arena, home to the Tampa Bay Lightning, the 2020 Stanley Cup champs. The season is scheduled to begin on Dec. 22.

The 2020-21 Toronto Raptors schedule consists of playing each opponent twice at home, and twice away, in their own division, for a total of 16 games. Toronto will play 10 conference opponents, outside their own division, for a total of 36 games. The Raptors will also play each opponent of the opposite conference twice, with one game at home and one game away, for a total of 30 games.

Old 20-11-2020, 13:12   #793

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have not had the chance to do so.
I have sailed in a lot of places and Newfoundland is the most interesting. If only it was a bit warmer, but if it was it would be ruined by visitors.
Old 20-11-2020, 13:20   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I have sailed in a lot of places and Newfoundland is the most interesting. If only it was a bit warmer, but if it was it would be ruined by visitors.

I still want to make it to BC though, but not until we spend a few more years sailing The Rock. And who knows, maybe by then the NW Passage will be a normal thing.
Old 20-11-2020, 13:35   #795
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ontario moving Toronto, Peel Region into lockdown starting Monday
The government says that means no indoor organized public events or social gatherings except with members of the same household.
The lockdown will limit non-essential retailers to curbside pickup, ban indoor dining at restaurants, close personal care services, and shutter indoor sports facilities.
Grocery stores, pharmacies and big box retailers will be deemed essential and remain open, with capacity limits.
Schools and child care centres will remain open.
The lockdown will last a minimum of 28 days and the province says it will fine people $750 for violating public health rules.
More ➥ https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...jRt?li=AAggNb9