Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 16:24   #871

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
In my prior post I used the term "social cohesion". I did so advisedly because it's the accepted euphemism for "solidarity".
"Social cohesion" is "solidarity", except that with solidarity there's more marching and raised fists, I think.

I'm also not as afraid as Mike of majority governments, IF I voted for'em but more importantly if they campaigned on a serious program/agenda that is best implemented sooner rather than later. A minority government is a minefield, and the other parties can hold the government hostage, or trigger an election any time. Not great for starting and launching important initiatives.

And I too am grateful that most of Canada's senior leaders seem to be on the ball with managing the crisis. Even our Doug Ford... mostly.

(and thanks for the great post)
Old 26-11-2020, 16:39   #872

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hey TP, I think we completely agree with the details. The perceptions depend on where one stands, I suppose. I'm still old fashion enough to be embarrassed by overt hypocrisy, which is probably why my political career was short and not-so sweet. When Horgan told everyone with an absolute straight face that he would not call an early election ... and then he did, well, what can anyone say.

You're absolutely right about the politics of BC. The "Liberals" are not. They are some hodgepodge of right-of-right conservatives; inheritors of the old socred dynasty.

I was a political reporter many moons ago at a BC newspaper (a small one, nothing exciting). When I moved away I soon learned to miss the whacky world of BC politics. Everywhere else seems rather tame.
Old 26-11-2020, 16:48   #873

Boat: Sceptre 41

How wondrously refreshing to read such viewpoints on BC politics here on CF, of all places! [emoji106]

I, for one, sleep a little better with Uncles John and Adrian and, especially Auntie Bonnie, at the helm here in BC!
Old 27-11-2020, 12:59   #874

Boat: Rafiki 37

So, keeping with the BC theme; everyone see this?

Man arrested after assault of Walmart employee who asked him to wear face mask, B.C. RCMP say

Just shows there are idiots everywhere.
Old 27-11-2020, 13:26   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So, keeping with the BC theme; everyone see this?

Man arrested after assault of Walmart employee who asked him to wear face mask, B.C. RCMP say

Just shows there are idiots everywhere.
Is Dawson Creek really in BC?... [emoji6]

But yes, idiots here in BC too!
Old 27-11-2020, 13:31   #876

Oh, yes! How could we have missed it? But DC always WAS a dangerous place. To wit:

To Dawson Town came Percy Brown from London on the Thames.
A pane of glass was in his eye, and stockings on his stems.
Upon the shoulder of his coat a leather pad he wore,
To rest his deadly rifle when it wasn't seeking gore;
The which it must have often been, for Major Percy Brown,
According to his story was a hunter of renown,
Who in the Murrumbidgee wilds had stalked the kangaroo
And killed the cassowary on the plains of Timbuctoo.
And now the Arctic fox he meant to follow to its lair,
And it was also his intent to beard the Artic hare...
Which facts concerning Major Brown I merely tell because
I fain would have you know him for the Nimrod that he was.

TP
Old 27-11-2020, 13:40   #877

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Oh, yes! How could we have missed it? But DC always WAS a dangerous place. To wit:

To Dawson Town came Percy Brown ...
A classic indeed, but not about Dawson Creek.
Old 27-11-2020, 13:49   #878

Good catch Kelkara. 'Ere I thot I'd snuck it by by writing "DC"! I'm sure that few of our cousins to the south would know the difference :-).

TP
Old 27-11-2020, 15:36   #879
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
A classic indeed, but not about Dawson Creek.
I can’t imagine that Robert Service, “the Bard of the Yukon”, set “The Ballad of the Ice-worm Cocktail” in anywhere but Dawson City, Yukon.

Oops! Took me more than a moment to catch TP's sneaky reference to the District.

Old 28-11-2020, 05:10   #880
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Canada sets another daily record with nearly 6,000 new coronavirus cases
Canada reported 5,963 new cases of coronavirus infections Friday, setting another daily record, and brought the national total to 358,741. Of those, 286,500 patients are now considered to have recovered from the virus.
Officials also reported another 96 deaths over the past 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 11,894. Another 2,350 patients are receiving care for COVID-19 in hospital, as the country inches closer to the peak of over 3,000 hospitalizations seen in early May.

Ontario set a new daily record Friday, after reporting 1,855 new cases, along with 20 new deaths.

Northwestern Ontario served has moved from green to yellow, in the province's COVID-19 response framework. The Northwestern Health Unit reported four new positive COVID-19 test results, in its catchment area Friday – three in the Kenora region, and one in the Sioux Lookout region.

The Thunder Bay District Health Unit reported 10 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, bringing the total number of cases in the district to date to 264. Nine of the 10 cases are in Thunder Bay, Ont., and the surrounding areas, the health unit said. The other is in Fort William First Nation. There are currently 68 active cases of COVID-19 in the district, two people are hospitalized with the virus. However, neither are in intensive care.
Two people in the district have died of the disease since the start of the pandemic. 194 cases are considered resolved.

Quebec reported 1,269 more infections and another 38 deaths. The province's death toll, already the highest in the country, is approaching 7,000.
Saskatchewan and Manitoba reported 329 and 344 new cases, respectively. Both provinces also saw new deaths: Saskatchewan reported that four more people had died, while another 14 deaths occurred in Manitoba.
Alberta added another 1,227 new cases and nine more deaths. The province has more active cases than any other jurisdiction in Canada and has the highest seven-day infection rate in the country, according to federal data, with 209 cases per 100,000 people.
British Columbia also set a new record with 911 new cases, while 11 more deaths were also reported. Hospitalizations also topped 300 for the first time ever.
In Atlantic Canada, three provinces reported a combined 25 new cases, though no new deaths were reported. Prince Edward Island did not release new testing data Friday.our more cases were reported in Nunavut and another three were added in Yukon, while the Northwest Territories did not report any new infections. That territory is the only jurisdiction in Canada with no active cases.

The United States continues to lead the world in both cases and deaths, both of which have grown at alarming rates this month. The country surpassed 13 million cases on Friday, while over 264,000 people have died to date.

The global death toll has surpassed 1.44 million.

Old 28-11-2020, 12:48   #881

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Negative Covid tests still prove nothing & other news. / Len

Second Opinion: What Canadians need to know about COVID-19 before gathering over the holidays
Old 29-11-2020, 17:22   #882

Boat: Hunter 386

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2890XG

It seems the US has a bit of an "in" for entering Canada. At least compared to the rest of the world.
Old 30-11-2020, 07:55   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2890XG

It seems the US has a bit of an "in" for entering Canada. At least compared to the rest of the world.
Not sure what you mean by a "bit of an in"?

The date for other-than-USA foreign nationals was changed so that it will align with the "21st" date for USA nationals. Pretty certain that come mid December, the USA-Canada border closure will be extended to Jan 21. (Thus making Jan 21st the date for all foreign nationals.)

Or were you referring to some amateur sports?
Old 30-11-2020, 08:10   #884

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "bit of an in"?

The date for other-than-USA foreign nationals was changed so that it will align with the "21st" date for USA nationals. Pretty certain that come mid December, the USA-Canada border closure will be extended to Jan 21. (Thus making Jan 21st the date for all foreign nationals.)

Or were you referring to some amateur sports?
I might be mistaken but I was under the impression that the border was open to American under extremely limited circumstances but that this article implied that even this was closed to the rest of the world.

But your explanation makes more sense.
Old 30-11-2020, 08:34   #885

Indeed correct that there are exceptions under "extremely limited circumstances".

Certainly for USA nationals.

But now I am uncertain if the same "extremely limited circumstances" actually apply to all foreign nationals. Hmm....