Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 11:01   #886
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Thunder Bay Update:
The following information describes confirmed positive COVID-19 cases in the area served by TBDHU - Last updated: Dec 1, 2020 at 11:35am
Cumulative Confirmed Cases =320
Active Cases = 100
Resolved Cases = 216
Deceased = 4
Hospitalized = 3
In ICU = 1
https://www.tbdhu.com/coviddata

Of the 320 total COVID-19 cases during the pandemic, 215 were announced since start of November, including a single-day high 33 on Sunday.
The medical officer of health for the Thunder Bay District acknowledges the region could move into the next stage (Orange - Restrict) of the province's pandemic response framework this week.
The Thunder Bay District, is currently in the yellow, or protect, level of the government's colour-coded system, after being moved from the lowest zone a few weeks ago. There were 12 new cases of COVID-19 reported on Tuesday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...ec-1-1.5823474
The five levels of public health measures ➥ https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19...-safe-and-open

Old 01-12-2020, 11:09   #887

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Thunder Bay Update:
The following information describes confirmed positive COVID-19 cases in the area served by TBDHU - Last updated: Dec 1, 2020 at 11:35am
Cumulative Confirmed Cases =320
Active Cases = 100
Resolved Cases = 216
Deceased = 4
Hospitalized = 3
In ICU = 1
https://www.tbdhu.com/coviddata
Thanks Gord ... I think.

I'm currently in the region, self-isolating at a friend's semi-remote camp. We're going to linger here till we're sure we're symptom free (so far, so good), before heading south to Ottawa.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:14   #888

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Gord ... I think.

I'm currently in the region, self-isolating at a friend's semi-remote camp. We're going to linger here till we're sure we're symptom free (so far, so good), before heading south to Ottawa.
Did your friend fly on the plane with you?
Old 03-12-2020, 18:25   #889

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hundreds of people have broken quarantine rules in Canada - and some paid a hefty price
Old 03-12-2020, 20:12   #890

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
So, the US-Canadian border is open, only to Canadians traveling by air. That's been very clear for months, but now with news of Canadian provinces applying to Hawaii's entry testing program it's becoming even more formalized. Does anyone know if Canadians can enter freely via marine entry too or is it just air that's allowed?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...d-19-1.5754763
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/t...rrival-2896429

I find it amazing they're just going to continue letting this unspoken fact be the world's worst kept secret. I guess if they announced the double standard it would sound horrible. They blocked us from summer plans and continue to block Americans but Canadians can travel freely to the US for their winter vacations. (as long as they quarantine upon return, which we were willing to do just the same)

Border reciprocity is done and gone - it's a full-fledged 1-way asymmetrical border now.

Exactly!
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 04-12-2020, 08:28   #891

Boat: Hunter 386

I just wish we lived in a society where when an authority figure threatens $750,000 fine that just once they hand the bloody thing out. It always smacks of my mom's "don't make me get the wooden spoon" threats that I ignored just as easily.

These days $1000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the "vacation" they might have curtailed if they followed the rules.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:09   #892

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

If you like fines to be handed out, you'll likely enjoy this one from greater Victoria;
https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/ne...st-shore-rcmp/
Healthy doses of belligerence in both cases, unfortunately becoming more common.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:19   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
If you like fines to be handed out, you'll likely enjoy this one from greater Victoria;
https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/ne...st-shore-rcmp/
Healthy doses of belligerence in both cases, unfortunately becoming more common.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of fines...they punish the poor and are disregarded by the rich. But if you are going to have a penalty, then why not one that hurts. Your quoted incident is a perfect example of the idiocy around being "reasonable."

I've always thought if they wanted to stop speeding on the roads they should dump the speeding tickets and just hook spike belts up to radar guns. Speed and then buy 4 new tires. It wouldn't take long for people to learn

Here in Alberta we are having huge arguments about personal rights vs personal responsibility. And unfortunately for my view of of how society should work, responsibility seems to be lacking in a big way. My pub, half a block away from where I sit, had this sh8t happen a few days ago...

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/server-t...ylaw-1.5214695

Because not wearing a masks is worth potentially ending up in jail because you put a server's eye out with broken glass. People are so... sigh

Covid is like ice in a crack. Society isn't doing well at this very moment.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:43   #894
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I just wish we lived in a society where when an authority figure threatens $750,000 fine that just once they hand the bloody thing out. It always smacks of my mom's "don't make me get the wooden spoon" threats that I ignored just as easily...
My Mom practiced 'open carry' with her wooden spoon. She didn't have to 'get it', to use it, which she did, with frequency.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:53   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
My Mom practiced 'open carry' with her wooden spoon. She didn't have to 'get it', to use it, which she did, with frequency.
You know I bet we could date people by a wooden spoon scale:

Generation 1: Spoon used with frequency
Generation 2: Spoon used infrequently
Generation 3: Spoon threatened frequently—maybe used once for effect
Generation 4: Spoon threatened infrequently—never used
Generation 5: Spoon?
Generation 6: Child Abuse!

Of course I could never bring myself to whack my kid so my kid must be solidly Gen 6
Old 04-12-2020, 10:26   #896

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of fines...they punish the poor and are disregarded by the rich. But if you are going to have a penalty, then why not one that hurts. Your quoted incident is a perfect example of the idiocy around being "reasonable."

I've always thought if they wanted to stop speeding on the roads they should dump the speeding tickets and just hook spike belts up to radar guns. Speed and then buy 4 new tires. It wouldn't take long for people to learn

Here in Alberta we are having huge arguments about personal rights vs personal responsibility. And unfortunately for my view of of how society should work, responsibility seems to be lacking in a big way. My pub, half a block away from where I sit, had this sh8t happen a few days ago...

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/server-t...ylaw-1.5214695

Because not wearing a masks is worth potentially ending up in jail because you put a server's eye out with broken glass. People are so... sigh

Covid is like ice in a crack. Society isn't doing well at this very moment.
From the Edmonton article:

“She stood on her tippy toes and got right in my face and I pushed her back and I said, ‘Please do not touch me. You need to leave. Have a good night. You are not welcome,'” recounted Shaw.

In the US I look closely to see who made physical contact first. The actual pub video would help here.

Admittedly, I don’t know how Canada does things.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:28   #897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post

In the US I look closely to see who made physical contact first.

Admittedly, I don’t know how Canada does things.
In Canada we don't hit people in the face with a glass regardless. But apparently now we do...
Old 04-12-2020, 10:54   #898

Quote:
In Canada we don't hit people in the face with a glass regardless. But apparently now we do...
Like I said, I don’t know how Canada does things.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:15   #899

Quote: "In the US I look closely to see who made physical contact first"

Ah! Okay, I get it. In the US it is acceptable, then, for the person who TOOK the first blow, to devastate the assailant, is it?

Well, that won't wash in this 'ere colony. We cleave to a very old-fashioned concept
called "Law'n'Order". We even employ professionals to get between the combatants and haul them off for the duly constituted Courts of Law to deal with. We call those people "peace officers" or, more colloquially, "cops".

So there. Now you DO know how we do things in Canada. Except maybe in "the oil patch" which is a very special case due to the unusually high foreign influence that obtains there. :-)

Cheers

TP
Old 04-12-2020, 11:19   #900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "In the US I look closely to see who made physical contact first"

Ah! Okay, I get it. In the US it is acceptable, then, for the person who TOOK the first blow, to devastate the assailant, is it?
TP
Yes. Pretty much it isn’t a good idea to assault someone in the US.