Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 14:03   #961

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
[Did I include enough contractions above?]
No. Try harder.

Old 09-12-2020, 15:23   #962

Quote:
Here in BC, it is more "shouldn't" or "PLEASE don't" rather than "can't" or "mustn't". Most, though not all (and perhaps not enough) seem to be following our BC style of "lockdown" (which it isn't).

t'aint right, t'aint fair, t'aint fit, t'aint proper.

N'ever, Never, Not Ever, enough contractions in any given sentence.

By way of example, a sextouple contraction, which can make logical sense in a sentence. The contraction is y'all'll'nt've'd's, which means "You all will not have had us".

"Y'all'll'nt've'd's scared to death if you didn't jump off that bridge!".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contractions-contractions-everywhere.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	228367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contractions.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	228368  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Contractions2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	228369  
Old 10-12-2020, 05:46   #963
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Here in BC, it is more "shouldn't" or "PLEASE don't" rather than "can't" or "mustn't". Most, though not all (and perhaps not enough) seem to be following our BC style of "lockdown" (which it isn't).

Actually BC stands for British Columbia, not bull****, lol. The new regulations are VERY restrictive and mandatory, through January (and likely to be extended), as my close BC friends are complaining.

Quote:
"Masks are now mandatory for everyone in indoor retail and public spaces. That includes malls, grocery stores, liquor stores, community centres, municipal buildings, libraries, common areas in hotels and restaurants and bars when not seated at a table.

They're also required in shared areas of workplaces including elevators and break rooms, and in any places where physical distances cannot be maintained, like meeting rooms with more than four people.

All social gatherings with anyone outside of your household or "core bubble" are banned — that includes play dates, dinner parties, backyard barbecues and get-togethers at a restaurant or bar."
You really "shouldn't" publish such misleading notions. "PLEASE don't....
Old 10-12-2020, 07:53   #964

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
Actually BC stands for British Columbia, not bull****, lol. The new regulations are VERY restrictive and mandatory, through January (and likely to be extended), as my close BC friends are complaining.

Jimbo, guess you did not catch my somewhat joking tone.

WE know they are mandatory and act as such.

Unfortunately, some do not.

Inter/intraprovincial travel, on the other hand, while clearly and strongly discouraged by Bonnie Henry, is not explicitly forbidden (never has been, except for Alert Bay and Haida Gwaii).

We live in Whistler, and visitors, though down in numbers, are indeed arriving from elsewhere (Alberta, Ontario, Vancouver, Victoria).
Old 10-12-2020, 09:28   #965

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Some positive outcome from the holiday restrictions and the start of vaccinations in BC gives us all some hope that there might be an open 2021 cruising season here on the wet coast. IMO that may be a bit optimistic. The success or failure of the extended restrictions won't be known until mid-January or later. But it seems clear that the vaccination roll out will take time and could easily extend through the summer.

Unfortunately the virus has already spread to a number of aboriginal communities especially along the west coast of Vancouver Island. I suspect that First Nations everywhere will be reluctant to re-open their territories until there is some proof that the vaccination program has been successful. This may limit cruising opportunities north of the Salish Sea in particular.

The travel restrictions suck - we're already planning a Zoom/FaceTime Xmas with our kids and grandkids after a summer/fall of distanced outside visits only. It was recently announced that our provincial ICU's were approx 85% occupied and that covid patients were being transferred to larger Victoria hospitals to take the immediate pressure off smaller less well-equipped hospitals. We may not be talking about field hospitals yet, unlike some other provinces, but there's clearly a lot of pressure on our provincial healthcare system. That may make many smaller communities less welcoming to cruisers than they otherwise would be.

On a more positive note for other land-locked Canadian cruisers, there seems to be much less reported anger about out of province license plates in the media. Two months of restricted travel within the province combined with escalating covid caseloads in neighbouring provinces could change that though. Whether border restrictions are eased is all conjecture at this point imo.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:56   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Some positive outcome from the holiday restrictions and the start of vaccinations in BC gives us all some hope...

The travel restrictions suck - we're already planning a Zoom/FaceTime Xmas with our kids and grandkids after a summer/fall of distanced outside visits only. It was recently announced that our provincial ICU's were approx 85% occupied ....

Positive outcomes are GOOD.

Restrictions are necessary to save everyone's health.

It is ONE blinkin' Xmas. Let's all get over it, for our own sake and own health and that of all of our neighbors. We have determined that the health of the country and its citizens is much more important than one blinkin' day of the year.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:19   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

It is ONE blinkin' Xmas. Let's all get over it, for our own sake and own health and that of all of our neighbors. We have determined that the health of the country and its citizens is much more important than one blinkin' day of the year.

Touchy.

I would say for some (many?) of us we are at that point in life where this Xmas might well be the last xmas we spend with various members of our family. Couple that with a lot of restrictions that aren't necessarily "necessary to save everyone's health" but rather more necessary to keep the idiots from being idiots and there is a bit of an excuse to be semi-gloomy.

Still, I admonished my parents to last a few more months at a minimum and they promised to do so. So it should all be well...

They did however go out and get the new(ish) pneumonia vaccine which I find very proactive and Mom reminded me that not all vaccines are free here in Canada.

She also pointed out that the Pfizer vaccine needs facilities that will make it next to impossible for people in rural areas to get timely vaccinations. Just food for thought.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:38   #968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Touchy.

I would say for some (many?) of us we are at that point in life where this Xmas might well be the last xmas we spend with various members of our family. Couple that with a lot of restrictions that aren't necessarily "necessary to save everyone's health" but rather more necessary to keep the idiots from being idiots and there is a bit of an excuse to be semi-gloomy.

Touchy? Either no, not at all, or you betcha!

Look folks, there is NOTHING that has changed in the last freaking YEAR.

The ONLY partial safety we have from this contagious virus is to mask, practice social distancing and wash our hands regularly.

That is IT!

The last "important, oh no, I can't "miss" Thanksgiving, gave the US a big surge. Couple that with the US States that did diddly squat about it, and guess what you got?!?

The same surge we saw here in Canada when the stupids pulled the same stunts for our Thanksgiving back in October.

And the same stupids who keep going into bars and restaurants.

Concerned about not having another Xmas?

Then don't freak around with THIS one.

Stay safe out there, your life and your neighbors' depend on it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:40   #969

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Stu
My comments reflect disappointment not defiance. When you live in a different community, Xmas is a time to get together and it is the same for many families. We know we can't this year and accept that
Old 10-12-2020, 18:33   #970

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post

Actually BC stands for columbia.html" target="_blank">British-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Columbia, not bull****, lol. The new regulations are VERY restrictive and mandatory, through January (and likely to be extended), as my close BC friends are complaining.

Neither of the above.
BC stands for Bring Cash - Lots of Cash.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:25   #971
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Canada's death toll, from the novel coronavirus pandemic, has now surpassed 13,000, according to updated public health data, released on Thursday.
In a press conference*, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that his government would be footing the bill over the costs of the coronavirus vaccine, including the costs of supplies to administer them.
Trudeau also announced a new "pan-Canadian" program to address any injuries from the vaccine, but stressed that the Health-Canada approved Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was safe and effective.
* Morehttps://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releas...g-covid-19-and

Old 11-12-2020, 14:39   #972

I know over on that other thread that I have been so assiduously avoiding getting caught up in there has been discussion of mandatory vaccinations. This article is interesting as it provides an indication of how people and businesses are starting to think. It will be interesting if any of it is legally enforceable, at least here in Canada...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/man...port-1.5836153
Old 11-12-2020, 16:15   #973

Quote:
I know over on that other thread that I have been so assiduously avoiding getting caught up in there has been discussion of mandatory vaccinations. This article is interesting as it provides an indication of how people and businesses are starting to think. It will be interesting if any of it is legally enforceable, at least here in Canada...

I read that the CEO of Quantus airline has had discussions with many CEOs of other major airlines and that the expectation is that proof of vaccination will become mandated to be allowed to board a flight. That will be the rule of the airline, desiring to protect their personnel from the danger of having to share a plane ride with a contagious person and to protect the other passengers.

An employer in the USA can mandate vaccinations with limited exceptions:

As COVID-19 vaccines become available, many employers will have a strong case for requiring employee vaccinations, so long as their vaccination policies have certain exceptions, are job-related and consistent with business necessity, legal experts say.

"Employers may require vaccines before employees return to the worksite if the failure to be vaccinated constitutes a direct threat to other employees in the workplace because the virus is rampant and easily transmitted in the workplace," said Robin Samuel, an attorney with Baker McKenzie in Los Angeles.

Exceptions must be made for employees who cannot be vaccinated because of disabilities or due to sincerely held religious beliefs, he added. Employers do not have to accommodate secular or medical beliefs about vaccines.

I recall vaccinations being mandated for specific employees at the biotechnology company that I worked at for seven years because of their exposure in the laboratories. If one was not vaccinated for a host of viruses then one was not allowed to enter certain parts of the laboratory.
Old 11-12-2020, 19:13   #974

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

This is the kind of thing I've been predicting will likely happen, especially in the face of significant anti-vax action. I don't expect a legal mandate, but I do expect institutions and private businesses to act in their own best interest by demanding people be vaccinated before accessing their service or product.

Quote:
In the United Kingdom, where health authorities started vaccinating people on Tuesday, some bars, cinemas, restaurants and concert venues already have signalled plans to demand proof of vaccination from patrons once the shot becomes more widely available. In Canada, there is talk of a "vaccine passport" — a digital wallet that would store immunization records.
Ontario's Immunization of School Pupils Act could serve as a template. The province requires students to be vaccinated against certain diseases, with some exceptions.

Ontario and New Brunswick require immunization for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps and rubella for all students, while Manitoba requires a measles vaccination.
I don't think it's a positive outcome, but it may be necessary when faced with a seemingly increasing level or irresponsible people.
Old 12-12-2020, 21:13   #975
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Something that has never been quite clear to me is:

What is the accepted criteria for a CAUSE of Death to be recorded medically as "COVID-19"?

Has Canada established accepted standards?

A friend of mine here in Subic, died of a sudden heart attack.... No question about it, but the local hospital tested him posthumously 4 hours later for the virus...
Test showed Positive so they listed Covid as the cause of death and made life hell for his grieving family.

This now is the First and only Death listed in Subic .

I am sure Canada has far better standards , but what are they?