Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 02:29   #991
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Thunder Bay police warn of COVID-19 payment scam
Police have received complaints about the scam, which involves suspicious emails purporting to be sent from banks.
The emails contain instructions that indicate the recipient is eligible for COVID-19 relief funds.
However, police said the emails are part of a scam, and advise anyone who receives one of the emails not to click any links it contains. The scam is an attempt collect banking information, or other personal information, police said.
In one instance, a person received an email that appeared to come from the Royal Bank of Canada, and claimed the recipient was entitled to a $1,200 "COVID-10 TREAS FUND" payment, police said in a media release, along with links that purportedly contained instructions on how to receive the payment.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...-bay-1.5854696

Old 25-12-2020, 08:35   #992

"We can't be choosers': Why Canada 'made it's bed' and could never be first in line for a COVID-19 vaccine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-p...204304881.html

"The people who were willing to move early on with even less proof of the efficacy have assured the amount of supply they were willing to sign up for,"
Old 26-12-2020, 06:41   #993

Boat: Rafiki 37

Provinces that acted faster had more success limiting spread of COVID-19, data shows
Old 26-12-2020, 13:58   #994
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Yes, true, thanks for the link.

The Public Health Perspective:

1. There are several indices that track from more than 15 categories, average four levels of stringency, plus other other factors/interventions, and that finally result in a response score of from 0 to 100.

2. No two countries scores are the same, especially with millions of possible combinations and scores.

3. Still, it DOES appear that two factors seem to jump out in the trajectory record of successful countries.

Yes they did start early, in some case even before the very first cases were found. Second they did not increase interventions slowly; rather they immediately went to a high level of interventions, scores over 60 and last, tended to keep them there.

I would also observe that these countries also took TTQ (test, trace, quarantine) very seriously, with tons of immediate tests and follow up when even a small breakout was found.

Once the virus is out of control (eg US) it's game over unless an emergency, wartime effort is made.

CJ
Public Health, 30 years
Old 26-12-2020, 14:15   #995

Boat: Hunter 386

Jeez Mike, it's gotta burn your butt that NFLD was right to keep you locked out... The world is a strange and ironic place.

In other news look what I got for Xmas: maybe I will be heading down that way after all (but probably not for years and years)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7017.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	229426  
Old 26-12-2020, 14:48   #996

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Jeez Mike, it's gotta burn your butt that NFLD was right to keep you locked out... The world is a strange and ironic place.

In other news look what I got for Xmas: maybe I will be heading down that way after all (but probably not for years and years)...
Cool. Got that one on board .

It's been hard being told to stay away, but I've always acknowledged that it made sense, even though it has caused me no end of problems. I'm just wondering if 2021 is going to be any different than 2020. All depends on how fast we can get our vaccinations levels up I suppose.

Given my demographic, I my turn for the jab probably won't come till near the end. Trudeau has names September as the timeframe for when we can all expect to get vaccinated. This will again be too late for my season, so maybe 2022.

Mac... wanna swap boats this year ?
Old 26-12-2020, 15:29   #997

Ontario Confirms First Cases of COVID-19 UK Variant in Ontario

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/5...ant-in-ontario
Old 30-12-2020, 11:21   #998

Additional Travel ban for Canadians.

The Philippines has included Canada on list of countries prohibited from inbound travel.
Reference:
https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/d...-Secretary.pdf

Canadians are no longer able to travel to the Philippines, after the Philippine government announced a list 19 countries that will be prohibited from entry.

The countries that are prohibited from travel to the Philippines as Dec. 30 to Jan. 15 is as follows:

Canada
Denmark
Ireland
Japan
Australia
Israel
The Netherlands
Hong Kong
Switzerland
France
Germany
Iceland
Italy
Lebanon
Singapore
Sweden
South Korea
South Africa
Spain

Montanan's note: Why isn't the USA included in this travel ban list????? Go figure. Perhaps because the Phiilipines were once a USA territory.

This change comes after the Philippine government suspended flights from the U.K. after the new variant of COVID-19 was detected, which suspension has been extended until Jan. 15.

Any foreign travellers who have transited through these jurisdictions within the last 14 days will also not be granted entry into the Philippines. Passengers who are in transit to arrive in the Philippines from these countries, including Filipino citizens, will be required to “undergo an absolute facility-based 14-day quarantine period notwithstanding a negative RT-PCR result,”
Old 30-12-2020, 11:29   #999

Travellers to Canada will require a negative COVID-19 test before arriving to the country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/traveller...175343672.html

The federal government announced Wednesday that Canada will implement a requirement for a negative PCR COVID-19 test three days before arriving in the country.

Bill Blair, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, identified that the “greatest concern” is international travellers arriving at Canada’s airports. He said the federal government is working with provincial authorities on options to introduce testing regimes at land border crossings as well.

“This is not an alternative to [the existing 14 day] quarantine, it’s an additional level of protection,”

Additional details are expected to be available by the Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau, in the near future.
Old 30-12-2020, 12:06   #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Travellers to Canada will require a negative COVID-19 test before arriving to the country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/traveller...175343672.html

The federal government announced Wednesday that Canada will implement a requirement for a negative PCR COVID-19 test three days before arriving in the country.

Bill Blair, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, identified that the “greatest concern” is international travellers arriving at Canada’s airports. He said the federal government is working with provincial authorities on options to introduce testing regimes at land border crossings as well.

“This is not an alternative to [the existing 14 day] quarantine, it’s an additional level of protection,”

Additional details are expected to be available by the Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau, in the near future.
Meanwhile: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...d-19-1.5856551
"Ontario finance minister says he's returning home as news of Caribbean vacation sparks anger"

And https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cand-1.5856889
"Despite premier's calls for Quebecers to stay home, Liberal MNA Pierre Arcand vacations in Barbados"

Goes to show stupidity and obliviousness isn't limited to one party or another
Old 30-12-2020, 12:09   #1001

Quote:
Meanwhile: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...d-19-1.5856551
"Ontario finance minister says he's returning home as news of Caribbean vacation sparks anger"

And https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cand-1.5856889
"Despite premier's calls for Quebecers to stay home, Liberal MNA Pierre Arcand vacations in Barbados"

Goes to show stupidity and obliviousness isn't limited to one party or another
Yes, and the part that gets me about this is the premier claims he had no idea the finance minister was doing that. Even though both claimed they were in contact daily "working".

If you want to break the rules at least have the backbone to admit it and don't claim ignorance when an underling does it.
Old 30-12-2020, 12:24   #1002

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

An internet connection is an internet connection, no swaying palm trees in the background, how do you know where anyone is?
Old 30-12-2020, 12:37   #1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
An internet connection is an internet connection, no swaying palm trees in the background, how do you know where anyone is?
You haven't been following the Ontario story? Some great hoist-on-your-own-petard stuff. He apparently filmed a xmas message, spent a day doing photo ops ahead of time and then sent out tweets with pics of himself implying he was there in real time. And got caught, because frankly he's not as savvy as he thinks he is :-)

I just wonder if he has to scramble to find a place that will test him within 72 hours of his departure on a small Caribbean island before we let him back.
Old 30-12-2020, 12:41   #1004

Quote:
You haven't been following the Ontario story? Some great hoist-on-your-own-petard stuff. He apparently filmed a xmas message, spent a day doing photo ops ahead of time and then sent out tweets with pics of himself implying he was there in real time. And got caught, because frankly he's not as savvy as he thinks he is :-)

I just wonder if he has to scramble to find a place that will test him within 72 hours of his departure on a small Caribbean island before we let him back.
Posted to Twitter between Dec. 21-24
Lol, at least change your clothes dude...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EqdJ1SXXMAAnIJZ.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	229661  
Old 30-12-2020, 12:42   #1005

Quote:

I don't think this has been implemented yet even though the feds said it would happen soon.

But, like with everything else, there will be exceptions and I'm sure playing the prov. minister card will buy him some leeway. After all, his job is very important you know...