Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 13:54   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

I have mostly decided to just shut up in this Covid topic.

I am flabbergasted by how much contradictory advice is being thrown around and how little we seem to difiniatively know. No one I know seems to trust any of the data. Yet almost everyone has some strong opinion on what is right and wrong.

I see some truly amazing trends in this outbreak but can’t seem to find Hardly anyone else who thinks these trends are odd. In large part because everyone seems to be looking at this disease through parochial eyes. I find when I review world data this very odd and strange trend. But i can’t get others to look from the same vantage point.

The only thing I know is I don’t know much and that there is some extremely odd stuff going on. NOT pushing a conspiracy theory, just silly flabbergasted.

I don’t know my plans for next month let alone next season or next year. I simply try to go with the flow and keep my eyes open in case something sensical is ever said.

With slight modification I can get behind Defund the Police.

Defund the PC POLICE I say.

I’m very sad that our world has come to this state. Yet the silver lining is the economic slowdown MAY buy us a couple of years by slowing our growth. Very odd times.
Old 09-07-2020, 18:52   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am flabbergasted by how much contradictory advice is being thrown around and how little we seem to difiniatively know. No one I know seems to trust any of the data. Yet almost everyone has some strong opinion on what is right and wrong.
Nature abhors a vacuum. Anxious people abhor a leadership or information vacuum.

Quote:
I see some truly amazing trends in this outbreak but can’t seem to find Hardly anyone else who thinks these trends are odd. In large part because everyone seems to be looking at this disease through parochial eyes. I find when I review world data this very odd and strange trend. But i can’t get others to look from the same vantage point.

The only thing I know is I don’t know much and that there is some extremely odd stuff going on.

Defund the PC POLICE I say.

Spit it out. What's odd and why? (besides the fact that it's ALL odd to everyone, unless you were also around for the Spanish flu )
Old 09-07-2020, 18:53   #93

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I don't see how "PC" affects this discussion at all. Canadians have largely accepted a science-based approach (and an evolving one) espoused by our medical health officers. In our province (BC) Dr Bonnie Henry is overwhelmingly popular and people have followed her advice overwhelmingly. We have a total of less than 200 deaths, new cases range between 10-30 per day, and large parts of our economy have continued to operate. Our population is approx 5 million people.
We look south of our border in horror- seeing huge rising death tolls, rapidly rising infection totals and an ongoing culture war. It pains me to see such suffering and discord among our close neighbors. And while it lasts, I want to see our border with the USA remain closed to recreational travellers because of it.
I'm on my boat now in Desolation Sound, my 4th trip of the year to the Sound. There were some early park/anchorage closures but they lasted for less than a month. It is my local cruising ground and I've made a decision to stay local this year and to isolate on our boat at anchor. I'm happy that BC has done well enough that travel within the province is now officially encouraged - as long as we minimize contacts with other people. However, we're still cautioned to avoid many small coastal and aboriginal communities because of their lack of resources.
It's a matter of respect imo, respect for other people while I'm enjoying myself. There's nothing "PC" about that at all, nor about preferring science to conspiracy theories and partisan political bickering.
Old 09-07-2020, 19:01   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I don't see how "PC" affects this discussion at all. Canadians have largely accepted a science-based approach (and an evolving one) espoused by our medical health officers. In our province (BC) Dr Bonnie Henry is overwhelmingly popular and people have followed her advice overwhelmingly. We have a total of less than 200 deaths, new cases range between 10-30 per day, and large parts of our economy have continued to operate. Our population is approx 5 million people.
We look south of our border in horror- seeing huge rising death tolls, rapidly rising infection totals and an ongoing culture war. It pains me to see such suffering and discord among our close neighbors. And while it lasts, I want to see our border with the USA remain closed to recreational travellers because of it.
I'm on my boat now in Desolation Sound, my 4th trip of the year to the Sound. There were some early park/anchorage closures but they lasted for less than a month. It is my local cruising ground and I've made a decision to stay local this year and to isolate on our boat at anchor. I'm happy that BC has done well enough that travel within the province is now officially encouraged - as long as we minimize contacts with other people. However, we're still cautioned to avoid many small coastal and aboriginal communities because of their lack of resources.
It's a matter of respect imo, respect for other people while I'm enjoying myself. There's nothing "PC" about that at all, nor about preferring science to conspiracy theories and partisan political bickering.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:14   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Lake Effect,

Deaths/Million sorted highest to lowest for Europe and Asia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE4A2886-1FEA-4A3A-98A2-522127C39DD2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	219059   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E9F3A69-B60D-4D9B-8DF4-C5EEAB43BF34.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	219060  

Old 10-07-2020, 04:30   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Lake Effect,

the list needs re-arranging by countries where mask wearing in public is mandatory and those countries were masks are a personal choice and use not wide spread
Old 10-07-2020, 05:37   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Can/US land border is set to reopen on July 21st unless further action is taken. A recent poll indicates that most Canadians want it to remain closed:

Most Canadians Want The U.S. Border To Stay Closed Longer During Coronavirus Pandemic: Survey

There appears to be some growing pressure to open the border coming from some Congress people and border states:

Legislators tell US and Canada government: Make a plan to open the border now
Old 10-07-2020, 05:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The Can/US land border is set to reopen on July 21st unless further action is taken. A recent poll indicates that most Canadians want it to remain closed:

Most Canadians Want The U.S. Border To Stay Closed Longer During Coronavirus Pandemic: Survey

There appears to be some growing pressure to open the border coming from some Congress people and border states:

Legislators tell US and Canada government: Make a plan to open the border now

Why should we risk re-opening our borders to the south in the midst of a pandemic where the numbers there are climbing to new records almost daily?

We have mostly got a handle on smashing the curve here and it is something that was done by the vast majority of us. Opening the border before our southern neighbours have a handle on their situation would be pure folly.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:01   #99

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Why should we risk re-opening our borders to the south in the midst of a pandemic where the numbers there are climbing to new records almost daily?

We have mostly got a handle on smashing the curve here and it is something that was done by the vast majority of us. Opening the border before our southern neighbours have a handle on their situation would be pure folly.
What (s)he said.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:36   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post

I agree, but there is a real cost to be paid. Our economies are so tied together, and there are many cross-border social connections. I think this right choice, but it is still a hard choice.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:42   #101

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

For our Canadian friends please realize the Corona is the media and politically enhanced election year flu in the US. That in reality has affected less than 1% of the population. It will disappear like magic after Nov 3, just like it did last month for rioting, looting and setting stuff on fire.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:48   #102

Quote:
Lake Effect,

An interesting observation, but several factors have to be examined before leaping to conclusions.

For me the main difference would be the coronavirus's preference for the old and health-compromised, and how national/regional differences play into that.

The old:
  • proportion of population
  • health and fitness, particularly obesity and related conditions
  • how the old are taken care of - eg with families vs retirement "homes"

The health-compromised
  • again, health and fitness, particularly obesity and related conditions

There's also:
  • location and climate
  • did the coronovirus get a good foothold before measures were taken?
  • percentage of population believed infected
  • geographic isolation, ability to control entry/exit
  • culture of mask use (as already mentioned)
  • leadership
  • trust in and obedience to authority

There does seem to be a genetic component too... including blood-type. But this could be down in the weeds compared to most of the above. We simply don't know enough yet... though by now there should be enough statistical data available to start answering some of these questions.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:52   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
For our Canadian friends please realize the Corona is the media and politically enhanced election year flu in the US. That in reality has affected less than 1% of the population. It will disappear like magic after Nov 3, just like it did last month for rioting, looting and setting stuff on fire.

It appears that politics have greatly exacerbated the pandemic in the USA. But there is no evidence I'm aware of that indicates it's going to disappear after your election.

The virus isn't political, even if the reaction to it has been in the USA (and a few other countries). If current trends continue, it will be magnitudes worse by November.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:58   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post

Another concurrence to this wonderfully stated post.

I have yet to understand the concept (reasoning? ) of "economy OR health." Usually with economy first and only, health de damned.

It should be health first and foremost, the economy will come along with it.

No health, no economy.

Period.

And other countries have proven that this works.

And even in the USA, certain states have done so. The growing number of cases in those US states that have ignored science is breath taking. I used to think it was just stupidity or politics. Now I just find it heartbreaking.

It's not like the "Who could have seen this coming?" nonsense. It is now far too late for that kinda "reasoning?"

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-07-2020, 07:07   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post

I would rather not wade into political discussions but the raw numbers should be enough to allow anyone to make an educated decision. Your country is free to do what they feel is best but on the flip side this is also what our country will do.

You may be fine with 135,000 American casualties but I am not fine with 8,749 Canadian casualties. Not even accounting for those who suffer from horrible symptoms.