Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 07:37   #1141

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ottawa’s latest extension of the ban on cruise ships in Canadian waters [1] (through February 28, 2022) angered three Alaska politicians to the point that they released a terse statement Friday [2]. Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan and Representative Don Young expressed strong disapproval of the move, over concern for their affected constituents in the state.

[1] “Government of Canada announces one-year ban for pleasure craft and cruise vessels”
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...e-vessels.html

[2] “Canada Decision to Ban Cruise Ships in Canadian Waters is Unacceptable: Alaska Congressional Delegation”
https://www.sullivan.senate.gov/news...nal-delegation
I have to say one of the most interesting things to come out of Covid is the issue of the perception of sovereignty — both at a public level and at a political level. Somewhere in the last 100 years we (Canadians, Americans etc.) seem to have adopted some sort of an 18th century British view of other nations (including each other) where their sovereignty is defined by our (obviously more important) needs and desires. This includes all of the silliness surrounding vaccine exports, the NWP, our "right" to visit Florida/Alaska etc.

I believe it's just another way in which the world has changed irrevocably and we will see rumblings as a result for a long time into the future.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:02   #1142

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ottawa’s latest extension of the ban on cruise ships in Canadian waters [1] (through February 28, 2022) angered three Alaska politicians to the point that they released a terse statement Friday [2]. Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan and Representative Don Young expressed strong disapproval of the move, over concern for their affected constituents in the state.

[1] “Government of Canada announces one-year ban for pleasure craft and cruise vessels”
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...e-vessels.html

[2] “Canada Decision to Ban Cruise Ships in Canadian Waters is Unacceptable: Alaska Congressional Delegation”
https://www.sullivan.senate.gov/news...nal-delegation

It's in the US's power to change this if they choose to do so. All they have to do is repeal or temporarily suspend the Jones Act (barring foreign flagged or foreign crewed vessels from transporting passengers or goods between two US ports). Then cruise ships could travel non-stop between Seattle and Alaska - which they have wanted permission to do for a long time.

Another solution would be to do what several of them have been doing for some time: Embark their passengers in Seattle, steam non-stop to Prince Rupert and stop there offshore (without anchoring or berthing). A CBS agent or two come out on the pilot boat (the cruise ship has to drop the Canadian pilot and pick up an Alaskan one there anyway) and clears everyone on board into Canada and out again - without anyone from the ship actually going ashore. This has been used by some cruise ships for years - much to the dismay of tourist businesses in Prince Rupert.

However, this latter solution would require the co-operation of the Canadian government and that is unlikely to happen as it would likely cause a permanent shift of the cruise ship industry from Vancouver to Seattle.

If you REALLY want cruise ships coming into Alaska, suspend the Jones Act.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:07   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
It's in the US's power to change this if they choose to do so. All they have to do is repeal or temporarily suspend the Jones Act (barring foreign flagged or foreign crewed vessels from transporting passengers or goods between two US ports). Then cruise ships could travel non-stop between Seattle and Alaska - which they have wanted permission to do for a long time.

Another solution would be to do what several of them have been doing for some time: Embark their passengers in Seattle, steam non-stop to Prince Rupert and stop there offshore (without anchoring or berthing). A CBS agent or two come out on the pilot boat (the cruise ship has to drop the Canadian pilot and pick up an Alaskan one there anyway) and clears everyone on board into Canada and out again - without anyone from the ship actually going ashore. This has been used by some cruise ships for years - much to the dismay of tourist businesses in Prince Rupert.

However, this latter solution would require the co-operation of the Canadian government and that is unlikely to happen as it would likely cause a permanent shift of the cruise ship industry from Vancouver to Seattle.

If you REALLY want cruise ships coming into Alaska, suspend the Jones Act.
I agree, although I am not sure it's that simple. Would they have to travel 200nm offshore of Vancouver Island? The ban is for Canadian waters, not Canadian ports? What about Haida Gwaii? Is Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait off limits?
Old 09-02-2021, 10:11   #1144

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I agree, although I am not sure it's that simple. Would they have to travel 200nm offshore of Vancouver Island? The ban is for Canadian waters, not Canadian ports? What about Haida Gwaii? Is Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait off limits?

Vessels have right of free passage through the Inside Passage - providing they don't berth or anchor. That right is currently being used regularly by the Alaska State Ferries and various tugs and barges taking supplies, etc. from the lower 48 to Alaska. We encounter them all the time, during the pandemic or not. I think the cruise ships would have every right to invoke "right of free passage" providing they didn't stop or otherwise "enter Canada". If Canada charged them with breaking our Covid health orders, the case would probably take years to get through the courts. I doubt Canada would press the issue. It would be a legal labyrinth.
Old 12-02-2021, 14:43   #1145

Air travelers to Canada will quarantine in a hotel starting on Feb. 22 as they await the result of a coronavirus test.

Government officials confirmed that — with limited exceptions — nonessential air travelers will be required to reserve a three-night stay in a government-authorized hotel at their own expense before they depart for Canada.
Those who cross the U.S. border by land won't have to isolate at a hotel, but will have to show a negative test taken within three days before arrival and be tested on arrival as well as toward the end of a 14-day quarantine at home or elsewhere. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said less than 5% of those who cross the land border are nonessential, one reason why the hotel stay is not required for those who enter by land.

The measures especially affect Canadian “snowbirds” who winter abroad and return home in the spring. Health Minister Patty Hajdu said vaccinated Canadians will not be exempt because research is still not clear on whether those vaccinated can still transmit the virus to others. Some Canadian “snowbirds” are getting vaccinated in Florida and Arizona.

Trudeau said it could take up to three days for test results to be available and he previously said the cost of a hotel stay for air travelers could be $2,000 Canadian (US$1,576.). The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for security, food and measures hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe. Travelers would then isolate at home or elsewhere if the test is negative. Canada already requires those entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days and bans nonessential travel to the country.

The Canadian Snowbird Association has said cost of the hotel stay poses financial hardship for many and travelers who test negative should be able to quarantine in their homes. Some snowbirds are flying back before a hotel stay is mandatory, cutting short their winter getaway.
Old 12-02-2021, 14:51   #1146

So if Canada is banning cruise ship until February 2022, how do you perceive the likelihood of private vessels being able to cross the USA / Canadian border in 2021.

Seems likely that the border will remain closed if the policy is to deter tourists from arriving until this time next year.

Is February 2022 the perceived date when essentially all Canadians that want to be vaccinated will be vaccinated?

And seems I recall hearing that this whole virus thing was going to be gone by Easter 2020, so perhaps Easter 2022.
Old 12-02-2021, 15:21   #1147

Decreased SARS-CoV-2 viral load following vaccination

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....06.21251283v1

Abstract
Beyond their substantial protection of individual vaccines, it is hoped that the COVID-19 vaccines would reduce viral load in breakthrough infections thereby further suppress onward transmission. Here, analyzing positive SARS-CoV-2 test results following inoculation with the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine [Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine], we find that the viral load is reduced 4-fold for infections occurring 12-28 days after the first dose of vaccine. These reduced viral loads hint to lower infectiousness, further contributing to vaccine impact on virus spread.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is about 95% efficient in preventing disease after 7 days from the second dose, and also provides some early protection starting 12 days after the first dose.
Old 12-02-2021, 15:54   #1148

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
So if Canada is banning cruise ship until February 2022, how do you perceive the likelihood of private vessels being able to cross the USA / Canadian border in 2021.

Seems likely that the border will remain closed if the policy is to deter tourists from arriving until this time next year.
Trudeau is still claiming everyone who wants a vaccine will have received one by September 2021. I think it's unlikely the international border* will open up for recreational travel before that time, which essentially means another lost season of cruising folks like us.

My best guess right now is we might see things open in the Fall -- at the earliest. But if these variants plunge us into a third wave, then all bets are off.

*I'm still waiting for the Newfoundland border to open to fellow Canadians ... which I also think is increasingly unlikely until late Fall.
Old 12-02-2021, 17:39   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Trudeau is still claiming everyone who wants a vaccine will have received one by September 2021. I think it's unlikely the international border* will open up for recreational travel before that time, which essentially means another lost season of cruising folks like us.

My best guess right now is we might see things open in the Fall -- at the earliest. But if these variants plunge us into a third wave, then all bets are off.

*I'm still waiting for the Newfoundland border to open to fellow Canadians ... which I also think is increasingly unlikely until late Fall.
This is going to sound horribly selfish but a part of me want the the border to stay closed because I didn't get to experience Desolation Sound last year sans American crowds and (so far) its looking like we might be able to squeeze in a month or so...

But any boating will be better than last years' complete lack thereof
Old 12-02-2021, 18:42   #1150

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Hey there, I know I'm late to this thread, but we decided to hunker down in Guatemala. Unfortunately we can't get our Visa renewed a third time so we are leaving shortly to sail to Mexico. We absolutely refuse to fly anywhere.

Not sure what the rules are for sailing back to Canada, but to be honest, I don't have the income to live back home, so the boating life is still my future.
Old 12-02-2021, 18:54   #1151

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Your post gave me a mild heart attack as a full time cruiser! Lol. The ban for pleasure craft is for Arctic waters. Whew!

I am saddened by the behavior of a minority of fellow cruisers down here in Guatemala. Whimsical mask wearing and no let up for parties and get togethers. A new mindset needs to be taught, although I haven't got a clue how to go about getting that to happen.

We just keep wearing a mask, wash and disinfect continuously. Oh, and practice social distancing. It is what it is.
Old 12-02-2021, 20:58   #1152

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
This is going to sound horribly selfish but a part of me want the the border to stay closed because I didn't get to experience Desolation Sound last year sans American crowds and (so far) its looking like we might be able to squeeze in a month or so...

But any boating will be better than last years' complete lack thereof
Well, Desolation in 2020 was very quiet in May and June, but became very crowded by late July, even without US boats. I think there were a lot of new-to-boating Canadians.
Old 13-02-2021, 01:36   #1153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, Canada’s supply of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccines will come from the United States, not India.
Canada has an agreement with AstraZeneca to buy 20 million doses of its vaccine, which is still awaiting approval from Health Canada.
Procurement Minister Anita Anand said the advance purchase agreement the government has with AstraZeneca “has the doses coming from the United States.”
She specified at a press conference that the doses will arrive in the second and third quarter of the year, from a facility approved by Health Canada.
“We are negotiating the precise weekly delivery schedule with the supplier at this time,” Anand said.
She added that the vaccines Canada will receive separately, from its participation in the international vaccine-sharing initiative COVAX, will come from South Korea.

Old 13-02-2021, 05:44   #1154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am a dual USA/Canadian citizen in the USA.

I have wonder what would happen it we sailed to St Johns, having received a vaccination, and having negative PCR tests. Sail straight from Norfolk, 2+ week passage.
Old 13-02-2021, 06:01   #1155

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am a dual USA/Canadian citizen in the USA.

I have wonder what would happen it we sailed to St Johns, having received a vaccination, and having negative PCR tests. Sail straight from Norfolk, 2+ week passage.

Need crew ...? ...