Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 06:29   #1156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Need crew ...? ...
Sure, we are in Edenton, NC. Jump the next flight. LOL

What a fricking mess.
Old 13-02-2021, 07:37   #1157

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am a dual USA/Canadian citizen in the USA.

I have wonder what would happen it we sailed to St Johns, having received a vaccination, and having negative PCR tests. Sail straight from Norfolk, 2+ week passage.
Interesting question. Do you have documented citizenship or 'implicit' citizenship? Either way, I think Newfoundland has their own rules. Did any Canadians just show up in Newfoundland by boat last summer?

Still, the approach you show makes perfect sense and population would be safe from you. You would probably be one of the most safe people on the island at that point. Still, by the middle of last summer, a negative PCR test plus quarantine would have made any sailor wanting to enter Canada equally as safe, but as we saw, the border was still locked up for sailors.

My wife was born in Canada but, outside of her birth certificate, all her documentation is US. If we get jabbed this summer in time for some sort of Nova Scotia trip, we might start calling around to see what we are allowed to do.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 13-02-2021, 07:44   #1158

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=hpeer;3341976]I am a dual USA/Canadian citizen in the USA.

I have wonder what would happen it we sailed to St Johns, having received a vaccination, and having negative PCR tests. Sail straight from Norfolk, 2+ week

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://bing.com/covid/local/usvirginislands

https://bing.com/covid/local/bahamas

https://bing.com/covid/local/bermuda

https://bing.com/covid/local/puertorico
Old 13-02-2021, 08:35   #1159

Boat: Rafiki 37

Newfoundland remains locked down for all but actual residents. Perhaps with a local address and citizenship one might be able to get in, but I still can't go, and I'm a Canadian.

And it's a bad time to ask right now. The island is suffering its worst upsurge since the whole thing began. Somehow a variant got in, and it's running rampant.

How N.L.'s unprecedented election suspension is a caution about coronavirus variants
Old 13-02-2021, 09:30   #1160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Argyle,

I have a citizenship card and a passport.

Canada has some interesting citizenship rules, and they keep changing them.

My Mom was a born Newfoundlander, cum Canadian, the hi moved to the USA but never got USA citizenship. After she passed I gathered up all the required documents and submitted them to authorities and duly received my passport and card.

AT THAT TIME Canada recognized a maternal link, but not a fraternal link. I needed to show proof of her Canadian citizenship, her immigration to the USA, and that she never received USA citizenship.

The rules may have changed since that time some 20 years ago.
Old 13-02-2021, 09:36   #1161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike,

Damn little in that article about the virus. The only fact I could pick up is the picked up 184 cases to 600 historical and that is is so far limited to the Avalon. One well placed road block on the TCH would do a lot.
Old 13-02-2021, 10:23   #1162

Quote:
Newfoundland remains locked down for all but actual residents. Perhaps with a local address and citizenship one might be able to get in, but I still can't go, and I'm a Canadian.

And it's a bad time to ask right now. The island is suffering its worst upsurge since the whole thing began. Somehow a variant got in, and it's running rampant.

How N.L.'s unprecedented election suspension is a caution about coronavirus variants

So they might as well let people in (with testing and quarantine of course)!
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 13-02-2021, 10:24   #1163

Quote:
Mike,

Damn little in that article about the virus. The only fact I could pick up is the picked up 184 cases to 600 historical and that is is so far limited to the Avalon. One well placed road block on the TCH would do a lot.
True. It might come to that.

I've been looking for info on the contact tracing. Surely they can identify how it got in. The initial outbreak seems almost exclusively centred on a school, and most of the infections are school-aged kids, which is interesting in itself.

What's got everyone spooked is that it seems to be 100% of one of the new variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I wish...
Old 13-02-2021, 10:48   #1164

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
My first reaction was a bit (albeit just a teensy-weensy bit) of sympathy with those who are anti-lockdown. A long time ago I made a off-the-cuff remark in the gym locker room after overhearing a couple of people wondering what the fuss was. I said it wasn't the severity, it was the virulence. I am really starting to think unless we are New Zealand — and this means geographically, culturally and politically — there is no way to keep this out. There are just too many cracks in the system that we as Canadians are able to maintain. Not saying we shouldn't focus on prevention (I am down with personal distancing and self-isolation) but travel bans seem to be next to useless given the current climate (pun intended.)
Old 13-02-2021, 11:37   #1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
My first reaction was a bit (albeit just a teensy-weensy bit) of sympathy with those who are anti-lockdown. A long time ago I made a off-the-cuff remark in the gym locker room after overhearing a couple of people wondering what the fuss was. I said it wasn't the severity, it was the virulence. I am really starting to think unless we are New Zealand — and this means geographically, culturally and politically — there is no way to keep this out. There are just too many cracks in the system that we as Canadians are able to maintain. Not saying we shouldn't focus on prevention (I am down with personal distancing and self-isolation) but travel bans seem to be next to useless given the current climate (pun intended.)
I couldn't agree more. And early on, when we weren't sure how bad this thing was, I was totally on board with border closures. My thought was along the lines of 'well, sucks for me but at least the Canadian government is taking this seriously. Maybe if more countries do that things won't spiral out of control.' That thought certainly didn't age well. But things have changed. There are 99.9% (internet statistic, rock solid) safe ways to allow people in. And, as we've seen, partial border closures are nearly useless. If you want it to work it has to be 100%, no essential worker exceptions, no allowing your own citizens leave and come back, not one single person crosses the border.

I wonder how the bug got free in Newfoundland. Essential workers or locals returning from abroad I would guess.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 13-02-2021, 14:32   #1166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lots of Newfoundlanders work in the tar sands. Once upon a time there was a chartered flight just to shuttle them back and forth.
Old 13-02-2021, 15:02   #1167

Quote:
Lots of Newfoundlanders work in the tar sands. Once upon a time there was a chartered flight just to shuttle them back and forth.
Yes, and now a lot of 'come-from-aways' now work in the oil and gas industry on the island. Lots of coming and going despite the border lockdown.

It sure would be interesting to know how the variant got on the island, and why did it show up first at a specific school. I bet they know, but maybe wise not to broadcast it to everyone .
Old 25-02-2021, 11:33   #1168

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

We've been in the Bahamas and Caribbean the whole winter, not a single problem going where we want to go, or finding nice anchorages. Unfortunately, our friends in Ontario that were supposed to be here with us just got done going thru another lockdown. My advice, if you are stuck in one of these countries where all they know how to do is push big red panic lockdown button, get out while the gettin' is good. Go someplace where people don't live in fear and got more common sense, and don't go back.
Old 25-02-2021, 12:09   #1169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, and now a lot of 'come-from-aways' now work in the oil and gas industry on the island. Lots of coming and going despite the border lockdown.

It sure would be interesting to know how the variant got on the island, and why did it show up first at a specific school. I bet they know, but maybe wise not to broadcast it to everyone .
Talking to my Sis in Gander, she heard someone brought it to the island hut then their teenage mid gave a big party so it spread through a HS.

That was a week or so aho, the story may be different now.

My 96 yo Aunt has an efficiency apt. But now none of the family can come and visit.

This borders on solitary confinement.
Old 25-02-2021, 12:26   #1170
cruiser

The current hotel quarantine for people flying in is a farce and just an election gimmick. Keep an open mind and consider:

Everyone flying in has to have a COVID test prior to arrival. That is good

On arrival, everyone has another covid test. Also good.

So we know everyone flying in is clean (or super high likelihood, unless they picked it up on the plane or airport). Yet we go make them stay in a hotel for three days at $2000.

Now, if you are in Canada and test for Covid, and are positive, you are sent home to isolate with your family! And the family does not have to quarantine.

End result - when we have testing that shows you are negative, you go stay in a hotel. But when it shows you are positive, you go stay with other people.

What is the purpose of this approach? It does nothing but optics

And don’t even get me going on banning Canadian airlines from Mexico and the Caribbean and still allowing other companies from other countries to serve those routes. Banning Canadian carriers from doing that just cedes market share to American companies. Supposedly it’s all about stopping the variants, but no companies are banned from flying where the variants started. Hmmmmm. This whole thing stinks