Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 05:58   #1201

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
I was kind of surprised at how slow the rollout was going in Canada, 4.7 doses per 100. This is compared to 7.4 for the entire EU, 22.5 for the US and 30.8 for the UK. I thought they secured deals with the manufacturers while the FDA was still dragging their feet to approve the vaccine?
Our government did, but as NaClyDog says, we were still not at front of the line because we have no significant local production. We used to be world leaders in vaccine development and production, but thanks to the mantra of "the private sector can do it better" we sold off our vaccine capacity back in the Mulroney days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You clearly need a second boat.
I'm beginning to seriously consider this. My eyes have begun to meander over Yachtworld.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:56   #1202

Boat: Sceptre 41

Interesting article on CBC...

The "O" Factor:
"The next graph attempts to do that by dividing each nation's total number of vaccines administered, week over week, by the number of new cases it recorded in the same week, to give an overall score — call it the "O Factor" — that may offer a clearer picture of how much progress each country has made so far in 2021.

The O Factor penalizes countries for failing to control infections in the present, but gives credit for the future caseload reductions they can expect to achieve by getting needles in arms now."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pan...928099?cmp=rssClick image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210302-075414_Firefox.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	233689
Old 04-03-2021, 16:54   #1203
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just talked to my sister in Vancouver and apparently the reason Canada was delayed in vaccine rollout was that their initial contracted order was redirected to USA who had put pressure on the manufacturer .

Is this being reported ?
Old 04-03-2021, 17:14   #1204

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just talked to my sister in Vancouver and apparently the reason Canada was delayed in vaccine rollout was that their initial contracted order was redirected to USA who had put pressure on the manufacturer .

Is this being reported ?
No, but the main reason was the upgrade of the production facilities for both approved vaccines, now with the 3rd one in hand and 500k doses expiring first week of April and it’s not approved for 65 plus, younger types with get vaccinated early.....also BC then most other Provinces have moved to the one shot then 3-4 months later the booster......most should have their first shot before September, maybe the new normal will be sooner than expected.....it appears the UK is quickly dropping its hospitalization rate very quickly with the first shot......

As an aside BC has fully inoculated its seniors in care and all hospital front line workers, it was then moving to a straight forward age based schedule.....boy the lobbying by every special interest group from teachers to bus drivers has been ignored, good on you Dr. Bonnie......

The new twist with some early vaccine for sub 65 year olds will be interesting to watch.......
Old 04-03-2021, 18:05   #1205

Quote: "Just talked to my sister in Vancouver and apparently the reason Canada was delayed in vaccine rollout was that their initial contracted order was redirected to USA who had put pressure on the manufacturer ."

Yes, It's been faithfully reported by good old Auntie CBC, and has surprised no-one save the naïve :-)!

Quote: "As an aside BC has fully inoculated its seniors in care and all hospital front line workers, it was then moving to a straight forward age based schedule.....boy the lobbying by every special interest group from teachers to bus drivers has been ignored, good on you Dr. Bonnie......"

Indeed! Three cheers for Auntie Bonnie - and for Unca Adrien (the "beastly" provincial Minster of Health, Adrian Dix). Every time I watch those two, I regain a little of my faith that there could be - there just COULD be - politicians and functionaries who do not dissemble and prevaricate.

The answer for all of us, as I've said before, is to avoid breathing air that's already been through someone else lungs. I have no doubt that I can continue to manage that, and although I'll be in the early group of "civilians" scheduled for vaccination, I'd happily give up my dose - of whichever vaccine may be on offer - to a healthcare worker in whatever capacity he might be serving.

TP
Old 04-03-2021, 23:35   #1206

I hope we will get rid of this virus soon. Life will be normal and we will have such a good time.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58   #1207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Sixty-one new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in the Thunder Bay district on Thursday, the district's highest single-day total since the outbreak began about a year ago.

The Thunder Bay District Health Unit (TBDHU) said 30 of the cases are due to close contact, seven have no known exposure, and one is at the Thunder Bay District Jail.
The cause of 23 of the cases remains under investigation.
One more death associated with the virus was also reported by the TBDHU on Thursday, but no further details were provided. Fifty-two cases were reported as being resolved.
Fifty-two of Thursday's cases are in Thunder Bay and surrounding areas, five are in Indigenous communities, and four in district communities.

As of Thursday, there were 397 active confirmed cases of the virus in the district, the TBDHU said.

Prior to Thursday, the daily record for confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Thunder Bay district was 60.

The City of Thunder Bay is currently in Grey "Lockdown" (maximum measures), of the Province's COVID-19 Response Framework.

Morehttps://www.tbdhu.com/coviddata

Old 05-03-2021, 04:41   #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Looks like I won't see my jab until August at the earliest. Ah well... at least it's coming.
The most recent thinking in Canada is to aim for everyone getting their first shot ASAP, even if it delays the second shot. This should result in everyone getting their first before the end of June. Mike, you WILL be seeing your boat this season. I should have put money on it.

RE the folks grousing upthread about Canada's response to COVID-19... I suspect that's mostly partisan, cos their party of choice isn't in. No country has got it exactly right. I would much rather the country overreacts a little, than underreacts.

The worst Canadian restrictions will be over by summer at the latest.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:43   #1209

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The most recent thinking in Canada is to aim for everyone getting their first shot ASAP, even if it delays the second shot. This should result in everyone getting their first before the end of June. Mike, you WILL be seeing your boat this season. I should have put money on it.

RE the folks grousing upthread about Canada's response to COVID-19... I suspect that's mostly partisan, cos their party of choice isn't in. No country has got it exactly right. I would much rather the country overreacts a little, than underreacts.

Here in Ontario us under 60's aren't even scheduled to be getting jabs until August, which I'm betting will end up being closer to Sept in reality. Though I'd love to be wrong bout this one!

https://files.ontario.ca/moh-covid-1...2021-02-19.pdf
Old 05-03-2021, 04:51   #1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Here in Ontario us under 60's aren't even scheduled to be getting jabs until August, which I'm betting will end up being closer to Sept in reality. Though I'd love to be wrong bout this one!
My elderly mom gets her 1st shot on Monday (London ON). They have the clinics set up and the online bookings filled up quickly, but the system withstood the load. This is sort of what I've been anticipating - a slow start (ok, slower than I expected), then it will be fast and furious. With the new announcement, I totally expect that you, Mike and I will get our first in June at the latest.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:55   #1211

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
My elderly mom gets her 1st shot on Monday (London ON). They have the clinics set up and the online bookings filled up quickly, but the system withstood the load. This is sort of what I've been anticipating - a slow start (ok, slower than I expected), then it will be fast and furious. With the new announcement, I totally expect that you, Mike and I will get our first in June at the latest.
Yes, some regions are already up and running. According to the City of Toronto website they aren't starting to vaccinate until April, which makes no sense. Both my parents are in the 80 age group and are calling around to try to find information on getting their jab!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32   #1212

Quote:

I hope you're right, but I'm not counting on it -- yet. There's still a lot of "ifs" in the above reference. If Ontario adopts the extended gap approach (which is hasn't -- yet); If jurisdictions like Newfoundland (as a random example ) accept that this lowers the risk sufficiently; THEN MAYBE... but so far Ontario has not altered its plans, and I see no positive signs from The Rock.

The other consideration is that If we extend the duration between first and second shot what impact, if any, does this have on immunity. As far as I've heard the vaccine creators' researchers are standing by their requirements to have the booster shot delivered within weeks, not months. They don't know what the full impact of extending the gaps will be. Obviously they are being conservative in their approach, but we need to acknowledge that extending the time between shots comes with some unknown consequences.

Ottawa (where I technically reside) is moving a little faster than the province. Community clinics are opening as of today (March 5) here in Ottawa to start vaccinating 80+ folk who live in higher risk areas of the city. According to the schedule I'm still looking at August, but if the extended gap between shots is adopted here, that would likely mean we'd all get that first shot by June.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:15   #1213

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

My questions are similar but from a different perspective.

I have had my 2 shots and the Wife will have here by the end of the month.

How will that effect our ability to get into Canada (should not be an issue as I am a Citizen) and then into Newfoundland. We will have to transit B, NS, and then NL borders, unless we sail up.

For comparison, looking at some Caribbean countries, their entry protocols do not even consider the possibility of a vaccine shot. Maybe they will and are just trying to figure out how to validate it or they just don't trust it. AFAIK Trinidad is still shut tight.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25   #1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I hope you're right, but I'm not counting on it -- yet. There's still a lot of "ifs" in the above reference. If Ontario adopts the extended gap approach (which is hasn't -- yet)

...but if the extended gap between shots is adopted here, that would likely mean we'd all get that first shot by June
Actually, Ontario has signed on to the extended gap thing (I heard on the CBC radio news today). It isn't yet reflected in the current scheduling. Also, the J&J vaccine (conventional single-dose) is now approved for use in Canada.

Gonna happen, Mike.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:39   #1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,

My questions are similar but from a different perspective.

I have had my 2 shots and the Wife will have here by the end of the month.

How will that effect our ability to get into Canada (should not be an issue as I am a Citizen) and then into Newfoundland. We will have to transit B, NS, and then NL borders, unless we sail up.

For comparison, looking at some Caribbean countries, their entry protocols do not even consider the possibility of a vaccine shot. Maybe they will and are just trying to figure out how to validate it or they just don't trust it. AFAIK Trinidad is still shut tight.
Seems to me the great barrier remains Newfoundland. You already can come to Canada, although you have to go through all the necessary testing, etc. But I don't think you can go to Newfoundland. Not without getting an explicit exemption.

This will have to change eventually, but as you and I painfully know, Newfoundland has taken the hardest line of any jurisdiction in North America on this. I don't see any signs they plan to relax early.

Quote:
Actually, Ontario has signed on to the extended gap thing (I heard on the CBC radio news today). It isn't yet reflected in the current scheduling. Also, the J&J vaccine (conventional single-dose) is now approved for use in Canada.

Gonna happen, Mike.
Cool . You may be right about getting the jab by June. Still need the friendliest province to open its doors, but I'd happily lose this bet (had we made one). Heck, if we can start travelling again I might drive down to the big smoke to buy you a beer .