Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 09:16   #1231

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Yahoo! But I would love to hear any sense of what the provincial re-opening plans are. So far, I've heard nadda, nothing.

I see there is a Premier’s Advisory Council on Tourism which is scheduled to release recommendations around reopening in May. Hopefully that will start the ball rolling to opening the doors for us.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:53   #1232
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization [NACI] says, if second doses are stretched to four months across the country starting this month, close to 80 per cent of Canadians over 16 could get at least one shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, by the end of June.

In clinical trials, Pfizer couldn't accurately determine the efficacy of a single shot, because participants had already received their second dose after three weeks, and there was no comparative one-dose study done.
Pfizer reported an efficacy of 52 per cent for one shot, compared to the more commonly cited 95 per cent after the second.

But Danuta Skowronski [epidemiology lead at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control] realized the company had included in its analysis the two-week time period immediately after vaccination — before the body's immune response typically kicks in.
She/they found that they were underestimating the efficacy of the first dose, and rather than the efficacy being 52 per cent, it was actually 92 per cent.
The finding led the NACI to change the recommended time between doses of COVID-19 vaccines from three weeks, to an unprecedented four months. [2]

No other country in the world has delayed second doses up to four months.

The decision may not be based on evidence, so much, as on an extrapolation of the evidence.
Canada's chief science adviser, Mona Nemer, says the decision to delay doses amounted to a "population level experiment."[3]

[1] “Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine” ~ by Danuta M. Skowronski, M.D. et al
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2036242

[2] “NACI rapid response: Extended dose intervals for COVID-19 vaccines to optimize early vaccine rollout and population protection in Canada” ~ NACI
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...rotection.html

[3] Canada's chief science adviser issues warning about B.C.'s 'experiment' with vaccine timing
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nem...ment-1.5932714

Old 08-03-2021, 08:19   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization [NACI] says, if second doses are stretched to four months across the country starting this month, close to 80 per cent of Canadians over 16 could get at least one shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, by the end of June.

The decision may not be based on evidence, so much, as on an extrapolation of the evidence.
Don't ya love being the world's guinea pigs?

Hey... if it gets me to Newfoundland this season, I'm all for it .
Old 08-03-2021, 08:27   #1234

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

In clinical trials, Pfizer couldn't accurately determine the efficacy of a single shot, because participants had already received their second dose after three weeks, and there was no comparative one-dose study done.
Pfizer reported an efficacy of 52 per cent for one shot, compared to the more commonly cited 95 per cent after the second.

But Danuta Skowronski [epidemiology lead at the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control] realized the company had included in its analysis the two-week time period immediately after vaccination — before the body's immune response typically kicks in.
She/they found that they were underestimating the efficacy of the first dose, and rather than the efficacy being 52 per cent, it was actually 92 per cent.
The finding led the NACI to change the recommended time between doses of COVID-19 vaccines from three weeks, to an unprecedented four months. [2]

Canada's chief science adviser, Mona Nemer, says the decision to delay doses amounted to a "population level experiment."[3]

[1] “Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine” ~ by Danuta M. Skowronski, M.D. et al
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2036242

[2] “NACI rapid response: Extended dose intervals for COVID-19 vaccines to optimize early vaccine rollout and population protection in Canada” ~ NACI
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...rotection.html

[3] Canada's chief science adviser issues warning about B.C.'s 'experiment' with vaccine timing
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nem...ment-1.5932714
No idea if it's national standard, but my aunt in the UK got her first dose in January and second dose scheduled for April 17. So 3 months, not 4, but WAAAAAAAAY beyond the 3 weeks as tested.
Old 10-03-2021, 13:41   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Dr. Fauci's remarks:

Even after you get vaccinated and are protected from getting sick, you may still be able to play a devastating role in the spread of the virus. “I mean, the numbers are interesting because we know now that the end point or the vaccine efficacy primary endpoint for the vaccine trials are prevention of clinically recognizable disease. However, what we don't know yet, which we will get this information in the next few months, is that it is entirely conceivable that a vaccinated person could be protected against symptomatic disease, but still could be infected and potentially pass the virus on to someone else,”. “What we're doing studies now is to determine two things, the level of virus in the nasopharynx of people who have vaccinated, but who have breakthrough infections; and whether or not they can transmit it to other people, the latter will be very important information that we will find out from a number of studies.”

Fauci’s fundamentals: No matter where you live—wear a face mask that fits snugly and is double layered, don’t travel, social distance, avoid large crowds, don't go indoors with people you're not sheltering with (especially in bars and restaurants), practice good hand hygiene, get vaccinated when it becomes available to you, so as to protect your life and the lives of others.

The facts are slowly becoming available....which suggest that these vaccines may be of use mainly to those most vulnerable to severe illness, rather that preventing the spread of Covid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...home-1.5941508
Old 10-03-2021, 14:10   #1236

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Dr Fauci is obviously the one to be listened to here but the attached article is also saying that prevention of transmission is unlikely after vaccination:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ilemma/618149/
In addition, there is an outbreak at 2 BC care homes where everyone has been already vaccinated, albeit within the last three weeks or so, perhaps before the effective date:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ch-9-1.5943167
Old 13-03-2021, 08:26   #1237

Boat: Sceptre 41

Amazon warehouse in Brampton ordered to close for 2 weeks due to COVID-19. 5000 workers required to self-isolate.

More than 10% of its workers have tested positive since October.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...id19-1.5947898

Might be a problem for us in Canada considering orders from Amazon.
Old 13-03-2021, 08:54   #1238

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Greeting from south of the border - sorry to bust into your thread, but we are literally about 100 yards south of the border so your issues are my issues.

Assuming that a US registered boat carrying card carrying vaccinated sailors wanted to transit Canadian waters to AK, and were able to carry enough fuel (1100G) water (600G) and provisions to make the trip (say 700nm divided by 5 knots = 140 hours divided by 10 hour days = 14 days).

Also assuming (yes, I know about assuming but just bear with me) that in case of a breakdown we would order the part and have it delivered to a dock with no contact and install the part ourselves. And proceed north.

No cheating, no mysteriously wake up in Desolation Sound, none of the crap some US idiots pulled last year. Willing to check in by radio or phone with the Canadian Coast Guard or whoever to report our position each day.

Has anyone heard that, with restrictions, US vessels might transit Canadian waters this year? Our commercial fishing fleet this year reported that they were allowed to get to SE AK with these caveats last June and I know we could make it following the same rules. As always, thanks.
Old 13-03-2021, 09:04   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Has anyone heard that, with restrictions, US vessels might transit Canadian waters this year?

Answering a slightly different question: if vaccination in both Canada and the US continues to go well or even accelerate, we might possibly see our mutual borders open to the fully vaccinated early this summer.

Just a guess, but it seems more than possible, and our tourism businesses certainly need it.
Old 13-03-2021, 09:56   #1240

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Greeting from south of the border - sorry to bust into your thread, but we are literally about 100 yards south of the border so your issues are my issues.

Assuming that a US registered boat carrying card carrying vaccinated sailors wanted to transit Canadian waters to AK, and were able to carry enough fuel (1100G) water (600G) and provisions to make the trip (say 700nm divided by 5 knots = 140 hours divided by 10 hour days = 14 days).

Also assuming (yes, I know about assuming but just bear with me) that in case of a breakdown we would order the part and have it delivered to a dock with no contact and install the part ourselves. And proceed north.

No cheating, no mysteriously wake up in Desolation Sound, none of the crap some US idiots pulled last year. Willing to check in by radio or phone with the Canadian Coast Guard or whoever to report our position each day.

Has anyone heard that, with restrictions, US vessels might transit Canadian waters this year? Our commercial fishing fleet this year reported that they were allowed to get to SE AK with these caveats last June and I know we could make it following the same rules. As always, thanks.
You are not going to hear anything here but rumours. But all the rumours I hear is that it is a distinct possibility—certainly a bunch of acquaintances are counting on it. But its going to be a waiting game with a distinct risk of the rug being pulled out at the last minute.
Old 13-03-2021, 10:00   #1241

Hey neighbour
It appears the answer is yes, Redhead, but I thought transit was always allowed. The problem might be in smaller communities if you need to refuel. Some First Nations had closed their territories las year but I don't know what is the current situation. BC has prioritized first nations communities and are vaccinating everyone at one time in smaller, remote communities for efficiency reasons rather than doing the age cohort vaccinations that they do in bigger centres. In fact they are doing the entire City of Prince Rupert at one time. The attached says that you can anchor when "navigation unsafe" and can land to refuel, but just have to report to CBSA when you do so.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-cdn-water
Old 13-03-2021, 10:10   #1242

May have to modify that response - read up the page some more - says Non-discretionary" travel only
Old 13-03-2021, 11:25   #1243

I thought, just as there is the land-based "Alaskan loophole" that allows Americans to drive through Canada to reach Alaska (or vice versa), that there was the equivalent nautical version for west coast travellers. No?
Old 13-03-2021, 12:18   #1244

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I thought, just as there is the land-based "Alaskan loophole" that allows Americans to drive through Canada to reach Alaska (or vice versa), that there was the equivalent nautical version for west coast travellers. No?
Unfortunately, last summer too many of my compatriots told Canadian authorities they were transiting your waters and then, OOOPS, they wound up in BC's beauty spots and anchored, oh for a week or two, thereby wearing out our welcome.
Old 13-03-2021, 12:35   #1245

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Theoretically "going to aAlaska for a holiday" wasn't a good enough reason to invoke the loophole. Much easier to adjudicate given that they were pleasure boaters seeking transit.