Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 12:39   #1246

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I believe the microchips are embedded with your second inoculation. No need for cards, or "vaccination passport", just wand scanners.

Was it behind your left ear or the right one?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 13-03-2021, 13:14   #1247

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Unfortunately, last summer too many of my compatriots told Canadian authorities they were transiting your waters and then, OOOPS, they wound up in BC's beauty spots and anchored, oh for a week or two, thereby wearing out our welcome.

Always the few that spoil it for the many .
Old 13-03-2021, 14:33   #1248

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

If you read the link complete posted - as I should have done before posting - the requirements are specific. Going north, you need proof of Alaska residency or an Alaskan job you are going to have to be able to transit, whether by road or by water. The enforcement was tightened because some of the high profile abuses.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...to-alaska.html
So now I'd call it an exception rather than a loophole.
Old 13-03-2021, 19:03   #1249

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
If you read the link complete posted - as I should have done before posting - the requirements are specific. Going north, you need proof of Alaska residency or an Alaskan job you are going to have to be able to transit, whether by road or by water. The enforcement was tightened because some of the high profile abuses.
So now I'd call it an exception rather than a loophole.
Not surprising. And the commercial fishermen that went up to AK in 2020 had to stow all fishing gear under lock and key, that seems to be in keeping with having an "Alaskan job".

Thanks for the info, hopefully they will revisit their decision as both countries get more vaccinations.
Old 15-03-2021, 12:09   #1250

Boat: Nonsuch 30

An interesting wrinkle for vaccinations in Ontario. Astra-Zeneca is only being given to 60-64 year olds in Ontario at pharmacies. When the announcement was made you could sign up for the waiting list online. Kingston was one of the health units doing it which was odd since that area is in the green zone and has had one death in total. Anyway ... I signed my wife up (I am too mature for this program) and today got an email which allowed us to book at appointment today or tomorrow. We are on for tomorrow afternoon.
Old 15-03-2021, 13:30   #1251

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I thought, just as there is the land-based "Alaskan loophole" that allows Americans to drive through Canada to reach Alaska (or vice versa), that there was the equivalent nautical version for west coast travellers. No?
There is a nautical version, still valid. Check Canada's website to understand how to travel (fairly directly, but not necessarily non-stop) from WA to SE AK if the border remains closed to the extent it is presently. This is how I and some cruising friends plan to go north in May.

Here's the link - read the section Transit through Canadian waters, and make sure you expand the bullets on mandatory masks, anchoring etc.:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr.../border#waters

My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, spoke on 2/10/2021 with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC waters to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example.

Some additional items CBSA mentioned on the phone:

If you plan to transit to through BC waters to SE AK, make a written plan for your trip, including where you plan to anchor each night, where you will stop for fuel, and how you will stay isolated while in BC. CBSA assumes a six-knot boat to estimate how many days it would take, so there's no need to be in a great hurry.

Bring enough food/supplies (things that are allowed into BC - only so much alcohol, etc) to make it though BC to Ketchikan. Or, make arrangements with one of your fuel stops like Port McNeill to go shopping for you and deliver supplies to you at the fuel dock. You may not stay at a marina, or go shopping yourself. Don't stop at any small native communities like Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

Check into Canada in person at a CBSA office (Sidney, Victoria, Nanaimo, for examples) and provide them your written plan. After checking in, you do not need to call in to stop for fuel or to anchor.

Anchoring each night, follow your plan, as weather etc permits, until you cross into SE AK. Then call CBSA to check out of BC.

I think I have represented it fairly well, but I may have forgotten or mis-stated something. You certainly will have to check the rules for yourself.
Old 15-03-2021, 13:44   #1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
There is a nautical version, still valid. Check Canada's website to understand how to travel (fairly directly, but not necessarily non-stop) from WA to SE AK if the border remains closed to the extent it is presently. This is how I and some cruising friends plan to go north in May.

Here's the link - read the section Transit through Canadian waters, and make sure you expand the bullets on mandatory masks, anchoring etc.:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr.../border#waters

My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, spoke on 2/10/2021 with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC waters to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example.

Some additional items CBSA mentioned on the phone:

If you plan to transit to through BC waters to SE AK, make a written plan for your trip, including where you plan to anchor each night, where you will stop for fuel, and how you will stay isolated while in BC. CBSA assumes a six-knot boat to estimate how many days it would take, so there's no need to be in a great hurry.

Bring enough food/supplies (things that are allowed into BC - only so much alcohol, etc) to make it though BC to Ketchikan. Or, make arrangements with one of your fuel stops like Port McNeill to go shopping for you and deliver supplies to you at the fuel dock. You may not stay at a marina, or go shopping yourself. Don't stop at any small native communities like Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

Check into Canada in person at a CBSA office (Sidney, Victoria, Nanaimo, for examples) and provide them your written plan. After checking in, you do not need to call in to stop for fuel or to anchor.

Anchoring each night, follow your plan, as weather etc permits, until you cross into SE AK. Then call CBSA to check out of BC.

I think I have represented it fairly well, but I may have forgotten or mis-stated something. You certainly will have to check the rules for yourself.

You need to read a little more closely. As posted earlier, the requirements are more specific, ie, you have to either have a job in Alaska that you're going to, or you have to be a resident of Alaska. And you have to have documents to prove such at the border or you won't get across. You are correct IF you can establish that you meet the requirements.
Old 15-03-2021, 13:58   #1253

Hi Desodave,

I think you may be mistaken. Like several other sections of the Canada website, if we read only them, it's easy to get the impression that what they say applies to every form of entering Canada from the US.

As we have verified speaking with CBSA, there is a different set of rules for those who simply want to go from one part of the US to another part of the US, through Canadian waters. Keeping within the restrictions laid out in the link I supplied, we can do so.
Old 15-03-2021, 14:16   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Hi Desodave,

I think you may be mistaken. Like several other sections of the Canada website, if we read only them, it's easy to get the impression that what they say applies to every form of entering Canada from the US.

As we have verified speaking with CBSA, there is a different set of rules for those who simply want to go from one part of the US to another part of the US, through Canadian waters. Keeping within the restrictions laid out in the link I supplied, we can do so.

Sorry - but I don't think you're reading everything. The border is not open to US citizens who just want to come through here. You are on the correct page, but read Transit between Alaska and the Rest of the States - it says

"You will need to have proof your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:
  • proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
  • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south"
You need to establish that before you can even cross the border. I made the same mistake originally in going to the rules regarding a transit, and then read up the page. Recreation has to be defined as optional.
Old 15-03-2021, 14:18   #1255

This was the change made in July of last year;
Old 15-03-2021, 15:37   #1256

I see that, and have read all the other stuff too. In Transit between Alaska and the rest of the United States the web site appears to be describing entering Canada by road. Its wording seems to conflict with the statement in Transit through Canadian waters that we may still navigate through Canadian waters, from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada - WA to SE AK, for instance.

Here's the quote:

You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:
  • direct
  • continuous/uninterrupted
  • by the most reasonable route

So we called CBSA to discuss. They said yes, Transit through Canadian waters is correct, we may transit as described in that section. Nothing about having to be an Alaska resident or have employment in Alaska.
Old 15-03-2021, 15:49   #1257

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

I'm in Quebec and booked for shot #1 this weekend.

If I wander too far south on Lake Ontario am I going to get arrested?
Is there a special COVID flag that I can fly?
Old 18-03-2021, 15:04   #1258

Biden administration finalizing plans to share Covid vaccine doses with Mexico and Canada
Old 18-03-2021, 19:59   #1259

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Atlantic Bubble to re-open. NB,NS,PEI,NL

https://subscriptions.cbc.ca/newslet...ef/2021-03-18/
Old 18-03-2021, 20:04   #1260

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Temporary loan of vaccine,I understand. Nice gesture!!

/ Len

https://globalnews.ca/news/7704507/c..._campaign=2021