Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 05:09   #1321
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

From Mike's linked news report:
"... The latest work by the COVID-19 Modelling Collaborative — a group of scientists and physicians from the University of Toronto, University Health Network and Sunnybrook Hospital — projects the number in ICU to rise to 700 by mid-April and to 800 by the third week of the month ..."

Old 01-04-2021, 06:47   #1322
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

‘Hit the hardest’: Why COVID-19 cases are rising among young Canadians
As more seniors get vaccinated for COVID-19, Canada is seeing a shift in the coronavirus spread with an increasing number of cases among the younger population.
While infections have declined in Canadians aged 80 and older since January, cases are now highest among young adults aged 20 to 39, according to the latest national public health modelling released March 26.
Morehttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...DKt?li=AAggNb9

Old 01-04-2021, 06:58   #1323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

“Human rights tribunal puts anti-maskers on notice, saying complaints require proof of disability” ~ BY Bethany Lindsay
the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal has made it clear that anyone thinking of filing a complaint because they were told to wear a mask in a store will actually have to prove they have a disability that prevents them from doing so ...
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...unal-1.5972326

Old 01-04-2021, 08:46   #1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As more seniors get vaccinated for COVID-19, Canada is seeing a shift in the coronavirus spread with an increasing number of cases among the younger population.
While infections have declined in Canadians aged 80 and older since January, cases are now highest among young adults aged 20 to 39, according to the latest national public health modelling released March 26.
The teenage daughter of one of my wife's co-workers became ill over the weekend, the classic symptoms including loss of taste and smell, and a test has confirmed COVID. The mother isn't currently ill; she has been tested but results not yet given. Hoping my wife and the rest of her co-workers haven't been infected.

Ontario is going into another 4 week lockdown, but not quite as tight as before.

Dang. This dents even my optimism.

Update: Advisors call for a stay-at-home order.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:26   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ford to impose lockdown restrictions across Ontario as 3rd wave of COVID-19 hits hard

And this on the heels of BC going into a lockdown, and infection rates on the rise across the country.

This pandemic will not be over until a very high percentage of the population has been fully vaccinated.

The grass is greening here in Montaña, literally and figuratively, because of the significant percentage of the population having received inoculations, particularly as to the older persons and those with underlying medical conditions that are co-morbidities. As of today, all Montañans over the age 16 are allowed to be vaccinated, all the highest priority categories have been largely resolved. Our new governor foolishly discontinued prematurely the mask mandate a few weeks ago, [yes you can guess what his party affiliation is] and the local county health department waived the mask mandate this past week, so seeing fewer masks when grocery shopping. I am fully vaccinated, two jabs of the Moderna, but still wear my mask when out in public. "A mask is not a big ask, nor a hard task." I will continue to wear such until I perceive that everyone has had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated and thus to have had the opportunity to protect themselves [and also by diminishing their infectiousness also reducing the potential of being contagious and endangering others]. My wearing of a mask is now primarily a recognition that I value the safety of health and well being of others since my risk of COVID-19 is minimal.

It is just going to take longer for Canada due to the slower access to abundant supply, but hopefully there will not be considerable vaccine hesitancy such that there is an inadequate percentage of the population that remain unvaccinated and due to such the virus remains in community spread mode. By the end of summer 2022, I suspect that things will be at a new normal; the new normal being that SARS-CoV-2 and variants will be endemic and that not everyone will have established immunity protection and that minority of non-immunized population will be a continuing hinderance to all and to our economies and societies. Not dissimilar to the few antivaxxers that don't get their kids immunized for the highly contagious and dangerous childhood diseases, measles in particular.

The last week of March is typically the time of a vast return migration of many Canadian Snowbirders. The interstate freeways and state highways of western Montaña are ordinarily full of Canadians pulling trailers and driving R.V.s back to Alberta. Very noticeable in the absence.

Looking forward to see y'all again here in The Last Best Place.

Recalling this time last year where the expression was "We shelter in place today, so that when we get back together again, no one is missing." We have to keep sheltering in-place for yet a few more months so that when we can get back together yet again, we all can celebrate our reunion.

Stay safe, stay healthy. All the best.

Dan
Old 01-04-2021, 09:34   #1326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
This pandemic will not be over until a very high percentage of the population has been fully vaccinated.
Indeed.
None of us is safe, until all of us are safe [fits a lot of situations].

Old 01-04-2021, 09:35   #1327

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
By the end of summer 2022, I suspect that things will be at a new normal; the new normal being that SARS-CoV-2 and variants will be endemic and that not everyone will have established immunity protection and that minority of non-immunized population will be a continuing hinderance to all and to our economies and societies.
Not criticizing (although slightly disagreeing) but you'd think we'd have had this kind of prognosticating beaten out of us by now
Old 01-04-2021, 10:44   #1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The new variants, e.g. the British variant is stated to be: "not more contagious to children than adults, but as contagious to children as in adults." Which has lead to recent spikes in children attending school in close and lengthy periods of social contact and then to increased community spread back to their families and friends.

But there is hope in this regard:

"Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and German biotechnology company BioNTech say their coronavirus vaccine is highly effective in adolescents. A clinical trial found, among 2,260 children 12 to 15 years old, no symptomatic infections and no serious side effects. There were 18 cases of COVID-19 in the placebo group. The data have not yet been published or peer reviewed. The companies plan to submit the data to regulators to extend emergency use approval for the jab, “with the hope of starting to vaccinate this age group before the start of the next school year”. New York Times report.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:55   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Not criticizing (although slightly disagreeing) but you'd think we'd have had this kind of prognosticating beaten out of us by now
Yeah, basically the same prognosticating for the last year as to time evolution of the pandemic and its continuance. Although, I perceive the variants to be a real wildcard issue.

If say one third of American's don't get a jab even though such is readily available, it will be hard to drive down community spread and social endangerment, especially from asymptomatic infected persons. Covid Chucks, and Covid Carols will be a lagging matter. This could go into extra innings and overtime, the virus does not tire or quit.

As to my companies, vaccination will be required for continuance of employment and as to face to face engagements with customers, suppliers, consultants, etc. No vaccination, no entry to the facilities. Not willing to allow an environment with a known hazard that can be mitigated. This last year has taught us that in most business situations, one's personal presence or travel are non-essential or can be provided for with preventive protocols.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:34   #1330

Just asking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4321.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	235652  
Old 01-04-2021, 14:01   #1331

The Ontario government announced Thursday that a province-wide, four-week "emergency brake" lockdown will go into effect Saturday, April 3. But is not a stay at home order.

All 34 public health regions will move into shutdown for a period of four weeks,”

https://news.yahoo.com/ontario-lockd...180041931.html

"Friends, we’re facing a very, very serious situation," Ontario Premier Doug Ford said on Thursday. "We’re now fighting a new enemy, the new variants are far more dangerous than before. They spread faster and they do more hard than the virus we were fighting last year."

This comes as the province has 433 people with COVID-19 in its ICUs, the highest ever throughout the pandemic.

Here’s the list of third-wave shutdown restrictions in Ontario

https://nowtoronto.com/news/heres-th...own-in-ontario

And with that reality, well it is reasonable to say the USA / Canadian border will not be opening to non-essential travel anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2021, 14:57   #1332

New Ontario shut down starting April 3 rd to last 4 weeks

Closed - indoor /outdoor restaurants ( take out only ) - gyms- Barber/salon -- business customer numbers reduced --- strange thing is schools will stay open .......

Time to crawl back under the bed .....
Old 01-04-2021, 15:11   #1333

I guess I now qualify as one of those old geezers, but those yung 'un whippersnappers sure are not behaving as if there is any epidemic, check the largest age groups for outbreaks.

20-29 is the highest in BC.

Stop partying already!!! [sound of old geezer banging his cane!!!]
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-04-2021, 16:35   #1334

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I guess I now qualify as one of those old geezers, but those yung 'un whippersnappers sure are not behaving as if there is any epidemic, check the largest age groups for outbreaks.

20-29 is the highest in BC.

Stop partying already!!! [sound of old geezer banging his cane!!!]
I hear you Stu, just going down for my first jab, in a few minutes.😱
Old 02-04-2021, 08:01   #1335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
I hear you Stu, just going down for my first jab, in a few minutes.😱

Good luck. Ours is on the 6th, at 1830, then we get to come back for sundowners.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)