Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 21:03   #121

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If this is your belief then you have a poor understanding of science, and how it actually works.

It's not Canada that is becoming isolated. Sadly, it is the USA.

Countries that refuse to follow the best science and take rational steps to control Covid-19 within their borders will find themselves increasingly isolated. As an example, Canadians can now travel to the EU. Americans can not.

This is why I suggest you have a Plan B for your cruising. If the USA continues on its current trajectory few countries will remain open to you.

The writer had a great line about Trump succeeding in building his wall...to keep people inside.

Quote:
ALL THE PLACES YOU CAN GO
1. Albania | 15. Lebanon
2. Antigua and Barbuda | 16. Maldives
3. Aruba | 17. Mexico
4. The Bahamas | 18. North Macedonia
5. Barbados | 19. St. Lucia
6. Belize | 20. St. Maarten
7. Bermuda | 21. St. Vincent &
8. Croatia | 22. Serbia
9. Dominican Republic | 23. Tanzania
10. Ecuador* | 24. Turkey
11. French Polynesia | 25. Turks &
12. Ireland* | 26. Ukraine
13. Jamaica | 27. UAE*
14. Kosovo | 28. UK*
*14 day quarantine required, not included in map.
From https://medium.com/@indica/the-plagu...a-53b20678a80e
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_ddImUOx1j0smBVcsVeqbPg.png
Views:	101
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	219119  
Old 10-07-2020, 21:55   #122

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
This is why I suggest you have a Plan B for your cruising. If the USA continues on its current trajectory few countries will remain open to you.
Not true. Some of our cruising friends got stuck in the Virgin Islands when the first wave of panic set in. But each country now has its own requirements, depending on where you are coming from or going to. The USA has nothing to do with it, since we won't have been in the USA for 21 days after we leave here and are three weeks gone.

At present most are requiring a medical certificate, or a simple PCR test, no matter where you came from. And the requirements for that are not even the same, varying from 72 hours to 7 days, depending on the country.

Like I said, we're not even remotely worried about it. We have friends cruising right now and we keep in contact with them weekly. We have about two months of refits left on our boat, sea trials to complete, then we'll finalize our departure arrangements from the country. We're meeting our friends at Isla Mujeres in Oct.
Old 11-07-2020, 00:40   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

man plans,God laugh's
Old 11-07-2020, 05:16   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

There is lots to discuss on the many facets of this topic. My most frequent observation is “I don’t know.” That itself is troubling because we have been dealing with this thing for 6 months and it seems new, often contradictory, statements are being made daily.

There are a few things I do know.

It is wildly political in the USA because EVERYTHING is wildly political in the USA.

NY and the surrounding area has a HUGE corona problem, with Deaths/M at over 1,200/M in the broad area and approaching 2,000/M in NYC.

The balance of the country has a death rate of UNDER 260/M. I do think there are observable reasons for this difference in the local leadership.

I “know” this because the basic stats for NY by county are published and I can divide (with a calculator anyway LOL.)

Deaths/M throughout Asia, including China, are UNDER 30/M. Deaths in Western Europe are ranging about 300/M and there is no satisfying answer to that. There is little in common between India/Bangladesh and Vietnam, Indonesia and Japan. That the ENTIRE region, without exception, is so uniformly different from the EU, without exception is remarkable. An order of magnitude is a huge difference.

I know the infection rate in Wuhan is far below our infection rate and I find that extremely interesting that the first country hit had such a high success rate. Yet NO European country did.

I am not supporting any conspiracy theory, but I find these facts very interesting and baffling. And I think the USA, outside of the NYC cluster is getting a very bad rap. Not without exception but in general.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:41   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
... Yet NO European country did.
Hubei province 72/mio

Hungary 62/mio
Finland 59/mio
Estonia 52/mio
Norway 46/mio
Poland 41/mio
Bulgaria 38/mio
Iceland 29/mio
Greece 19/mio

perspective
Taiwan 0.3/mio
S. Korea 6/mio
Kiwi 4/mio
Oz 4/mio
Macau 0
Singapore 1/mio

North East aside
Louisiana 728/mio
Where Michiganders live 629/mio
Indiana 408/mio
etc

Quote:
I am not supporting any conspiracy theory, but I find these facts very interesting and baffling. And I think the USA, outside of the NYC cluster is getting a very bad rap. Not without exception but in general
Bad rap?
Old 11-07-2020, 05:42   #126

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Even in Italy, which had some of the strictest lockdowns in the world, didn't stop it. And neither did China.
According to Worldometer, Italy had 276 new cases yesterday and the US had almost 72,000. Canada went up a bit to 321. If you can believe the numbers, China had 4 cases. At this point I tend to believe it knowing something about the incredibly tight controls they are using. At the centre of this effort is a mandatory cell phone app that alerts you if you have been in contact with an infected person. If you have not been, your phone shows you are green. Otherwise you are yellow and must go into isolation for 14 days. You must show your phone to go into a store or buy a ticket for subway, etc. so it is pretty effective.

You can't stop this thing but effective public health measures and political measures can control it. Sadly the patchwork approach and politicization of the virus in the US has not worked except for a few exceptions, eg Connecticut had 58 cases yesterday while Florida and Texas were both over 10,000. All of the G7 nations are doing much better than the US.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:52   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Hubei province 72/mio

Hungary 62/mio
Finland 59/mio
Estonia 52/mio
Norway 46/mio
Poland 41/mio
Bulgaria 38/mio
Iceland 29/mio
Greece 19/mio

perspective
Taiwan 0.3/mio
S. Korea 6/mio
Kiwi 4/mio
Oz 4/mio
Macau 0
Singapore 1/mio

North East aside
Louisiana 728/mio
Indiana 408/mio
etc

Bad rap?

The issue is alternative facts seems to carry more weight than the actual facts in some places. People are set in their beliefs and nothing can be said or done to fix that problem (they don't see a problem).

As long as Canada keeps the border closed to places who don't have their house in order, I'm quite happy to let them all do as they please.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:25   #128

Boat: Rafiki 37

Howard (Hpeer), we both agree there is still so more that we don't know about this virus. The huge range of death rates across various nations and regions have stood out to me as something very odd. We are learning every day that this virus is not simply a bad flu.

With regard to numbers, I completely agree that different US states and regions are much worse, or better, than others. This is also true in Canada where the vast majority of our cases (by many factors) have come in two provinces: Ontario and Quebec. And even here, one can get far more granular.

Unfortunately, international actions tend to operate at the nation-to-nation level. And at that scale the USA looks very bad and is getting worse. Most other nations have either gotten the infection rates under control, or are making progress towards doing so. Again, the USA is increasingly an outlier in this regard, and sadly the reason seems to be social/political -- mostly self-inflicted.

I don't say any of this with any relish. This fact will have a huge impact on my own country's ability to deal with this pandemic, and to get back to whatever normal looks like in the end.

The American response to this pandemic is not good for anyone.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:11   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Hubei province 72/mio

Hungary 62/mio
Finland 59/mio
Estonia 52/mio
Norway 46/mio
Poland 41/mio
Bulgaria 38/mio
Iceland 29/mio
Greece 19/mio

perspective
Taiwan 0.3/mio
S. Korea 6/mio
Kiwi 4/mio
Oz 4/mio
Macau 0
Singapore 1/mio

North East aside
Louisiana 728/mio
Indiana 408/mio
etc

Bad rap?
When I said European meant Western European or in the EU. And what you report is exactly correct. As you remove from the center of the EU it falls off to lower rates. All those countries you cite rates for are on the outside edge of the high zone.

So your are supporting what I stated. You see the same through the mid-East which is loosely classified as “Asia” in worldometers chart.

No surprises there.

Don’t have a clue as to the meaning of the rest of your post.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:23   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Howard (Hpeer), we both agree there is still so more that we don't know about this virus. The huge range of death rates across various nations and regions have stood out to me as something very odd. We are learning every day that this virus is not simply a bad flu.

With regard to numbers, I completely agree that different US states and regions are much worse, or better, than others. This is also true in Canada where the vast majority of our cases (by many factors) have come in two provinces: Ontario and Quebec. And even here, one can get far more granular.

Unfortunately, international actions tend to operate at the nation-to-nation level. And at that scale the USA looks very bad and is getting worse. Most other nations have either gotten the infection rates under control, or are making progress towards doing so. Again, the USA is increasingly an outlier in this regard, and sadly the reason seems to be social/political -- mostly self-inflicted.

I don't say any of this with any relish. This fact will have a huge impact on my own country's ability to deal with this pandemic, and to get back to whatever normal looks like in the end.

Mike,

I agree that when you look at the totals it doesn’t look good and I understand your point about viewing this on a national level, not “granular.”

OTOH please recall that the “granularity” when viewing the USA is very different from almost any other country. Canadian data is 10x more granular because you have 1/10 the population we do. In fact we are roughly equal in population to the entire EU, but no one suggests we look at the EU as a single unit.

I get what you are saying about the optics, how it “looks” bad TIG the outside. Not much I can do to change that. However thinking people should think and be capable of understanding the differences.

Optics aside, the FACT is NY and surrounding areas are a not indicative of the USA as a whole. Some other areas are also struggling, as did Italy and Spain.

The other part to this is that by not going granular and highlighting the horrible situation in NY those in charge are not being adequately called to task for their extremely poor performance. It’s a way of shielding Como and deBlasio form the consequences of their actions. I know of no where I thought he World with even moderately similar populations that had even a third the death rate of that area.

So my comment is two edged: do not confuse the USA with NYC by letting NYC stats make the USA look bad but also don’t let the NYC buggers hide by diluting their statistics.

We have a barrel with a bad apple, that needs to be recognized and realty with.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:37   #131

CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
When I said European meant Western European or in the EU. And what you report is exactly correct. As you remove from the center of the EU it falls off to lower rates. All those countries you cite rates for are on the outside edge of the high zone.

So your are supporting what I stated. You see the same through the mid-East which is loosely classified as “Asia” in worldometers chart.

No surprises there.

Don’t have a clue as to the meaning of the rest of your post.

You’re cherry picking data to support your case. The rest of the post is to show how bad the US is as a country, right up there with Spain and Italy. And it’s probably going to get worse before it gets better unlike Spain and Italy.

The bad rap is unequivocally deserved is my point. Can’t see how we can polish this turd.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:46   #132

Quote:
Mike,
So my comment is two edged: do not confuse the USA with NYC by letting NYC stats make the USA look bad but also don’t let the NYC buggers hide by diluting their statistics.

We have a barrel with a bad apple, that needs to be recognized and realty with.

hpeer, my preference would be not to take a Canadian thread off it's rails but I think you need to look into the statement above.

"The surge in coronavirus cases in the United States has been driven largely by states that were among the first to ease virus restrictions as they moved to reopen their economies.Florida has seen its average new daily cases increase more than tenfold since it began reopening in early May. Cases in Arizona have jumped by 858 percent since beginning to reopen May 8. Cases in Texas have risen by 680 percent since the state began to reopen May 1."

Now, can we take this back to Canadian Covid-19 news?
Old 11-07-2020, 10:04   #133

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
First of all, on the Federal level there is limited authority that can be imposed on the states. Each state has its own supreme ruler called a governor and they set their own rules. One state can implement a rule. Another state says we're not going to do that rule. The Federal level has no authority over this.

That's why it's called the "United States" - 50 states each doing their own thing, but united under one flag for invading other countries to take over their oil, talk smart at UN meetings, whatever. And if a state gets into trouble they can run to Big Daddy and say, "can we have some money please? We blew all our cash and we're kinda broke."

So when it comes to Corona it's the individual states that run their own pandemic system. All the Federal level does is get on TV and talk smart (or stupid, which ever way you want to look at it), and make senseless statements that don't actually mean crap. The Federal level can close the border to the entire outfit, but they can't tell the states what to do.

So in our state here they've had the National Guard and Public Health running drive-thru corona testing sites. Anybody that goes into the hospital or clinic for anything gets tested. They get a positive test and they go, "Whoa! We got a hot one!" So then Public Health does what they call "contact tracing" to find more. This is how my wife and I got caught up in this scam. We were identified thru "contract tracing" as being potential corona infectees.

So then Public Health contacts us and says we either should self-quarantine for 14 days or get tested. So we get tested. Our viral tests were negative. So then, do you want to take the serum test for anti-bodies? Sure, why not - you people are a bunch of blood suckers anyway. So our anti-body tests were positive.

So then we're told, just because you have anti-bodies doesn't mean you're immune to corona. Oh. Really? How do you plan on making your vaccine then? Or is that all smoke and mirrors?

In the end it is evident WAY more people have already been exposed to it, or are immune to it, than their numbers show. They are counting people like us as "cases" thru their contact tracing, even though we never had corona (some states have been forced to revise this due to the states getting so much per head from the Federal Disaster Aid fund). And the highly-touted "science" is not even remotely accurate, more like a giant Fudge Factor. They are merely out collecting data, but the mainstream media makes definitive "statements" based on incomplete or inaccurate data.

Meanwhile, on the Federal level, CDC compiles what the states gather. And they release stuff like this. But this is not what the mainstream media likes to report because it's not dramatic enough for good ratings and edge-of-the-chair excitement.

Edit:
That screenshot clip came from the CDC's website
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ceamlfkhghocaled.png
Views:	94
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	219146  
Old 11-07-2020, 11:13   #134

Did someone say Canadian Covid Meme?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canadian-coronavirus-poster-71569666.png
Views:	110
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	219148   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_5c8MUOo4tcxzI9yOvUBSqQ.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	219149  

Old 11-07-2020, 11:42   #135

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hah! That Netflix one is funny.

A couple of years ago we were house sitting for our friends up on the Sunshine Coast in BC. I settled in to watch TV and found three curling channels!! No joke.

But I have to say it's an acquired taste, after a couple of weeks we were both watching to see who would win the women's championship.