Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 05:14   #1411

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
The first variants, started showing, I believe in the UK in late August, early September, with air travel, they where already in Canada. At the time one lady , on another forum, posted to shut down travel to Canada completely. I stated that it was already in Canada, as presently reduced air travel, it had probably been around the world three times, before the pandemic, probably more than ten. The variant arrival in Canada was announced just days later.

So testing came far too late.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:34   #1412

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So testing came far too late.
Pretty much.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:36   #1413

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

For testing, the best are the Danes, followed by UK, we are down, way down that list.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:42   #1414

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
For testing, the best are the Danes, followed by UK, we are down, way down that list.
I've never understood the mania about testing. Seems to me without a lot of other precautions (of which there are too little in Canada) testing is mostly just about closing the gate after the horses have got out. Speaking only slightly sarcastically, the money would be better spent on education and enforcement (carrot and stick). This is a game of odds— but it only takes one and all the testing the world is for naught: we should have put the Vegas kingpins and insurance boffins in charge from the very beginning.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:47   #1415

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Mike, as a journalist you have been at the bleeding edge of the news so I trust your perspective, but my impression was that it was a change in the patent protection for drug makers that prompted the exodus. That along with price protection (protecting perceived price gouging) has led to the exodus of drug companies.
I think that there is a more general problem and that is that Canadians start companies, make them successful and then get them taken over by big, international companies because they are attractive assets. A former student of mine is the CEO of a small pharmaceutical company in Mississauga (apparently $5 million in sales is considered 'small' in the Pharma world). The company was started by two guys with the specific intention to be taken over. In fact, this is the third such company they have started after selling the first two for multiple billion dollars. Judy has a share of the company vested next year. After COVID she is taking me out to dinner. Perhaps we need legislation in Pharma as we do in industries like cable and phone to keep companies Canadian.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:34   #1416

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, although that doesn't explain how the variants first came into the country. This has to be from people coming from outside the country.

Canada instituted mandatory prearrival Covid-19 testing for returning travellers on Feb. 22. This was likely months too late since the first variants showed up in December 2020. I bet that was how things got it, and then the national travellers further spread the wild and variant forms across the country.
You are correct but I was implying that it was a returning Canadian. If I remember correctly the first diagnosed Brazilian variant case in BC was someone who had not traveled. I believe that major ski resorts like Whistler historically have depended on a worldwide sourced crew of workers but covid may have changed that to some extent.
BC has emphasized contact tracing over testing imo in its attempt to corral the virus. It appeared to be working at one point, not so much now. They did indicate recently that the number of contacts had doubled for each known covid case. Dr Henry has stated on many occasions that the spread has been largely from indoor social gatherings and workplaces.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:49   #1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Is Canada considering Covid Vaccine Passports, or is it simply too early on in the vaccination process for such discussions??

Today's news south of the border:

The U.S. federal government won’t require COVID-19 vaccine passports, Dr. Anthony Fauci says. But Americans may still need them in some circumstances.

Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said he doubts the federal government would be the “main mover” of vaccine passports but that “individual entities” — such as businesses or schools — could require them.

A political hot potato subject.

I got my first shot last week. They gave me a little card to stick in my wallet, date, type, name, place.

BFD BFD BFD

This nonsense about passports is just that, nonsense. Most of the yokels who rail against "passports" aren't wearing asks either, 'cuz freedumb.

Sheez, the stupidity is frightening.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:00   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I've never understood the mania about testing. Seems to me without a lot of other precautions (of which there are too little in Canada) testing is mostly just about closing the gate after the horses have got out.

No - testing is your eyeballs! In most of the countries where COVID took off, testing was too little and/or too late. In the countries that did better, most implemented effective test & trace systems early on, which enabled them to quickly stomp on the first cases, and reduce or eliminate community transmission. Countries that did so were less likely to impose the blanket Hail-Mary lockdowns that we have ended up needing..
Old 12-04-2021, 10:54   #1419

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
No - testing is your eyeballs! In most of the countries where COVID took off, testing was too little and/or too late. In the countries that did better, most implemented effective test & trace systems early on, which enabled them to quickly stomp on the first cases, and reduce or eliminate community transmission. Countries that did so were less likely to impose the blanket Hail-Mary lockdowns that we have ended up needing..
Well I don't think we have reliable rapid tests even last fall. I believe the first one was approved in Jan 2021.

We should have mandatory quarantine at a hotel last fall already and the government should have used the notwithstanding clause to do it. As of right now no one has to go to a quarantine hotel if they don't want to. Given what shambles the booking system is, why would you?

Regardless, there is only so much the feds can do. They can not prevent people from leaving or returning as part of the Charter. They can supply money and vaccines. The provinces control all aspects of delivery of all things medical and health related.

Ontario is a mess right now and it is only going to get much much worse. Our lockdowns have been jokes with almost nothing closed. Down in Eastern Ontario 20 beds ICU at Kingston General are filled with people from the GTA. Every day we hear a helicopter or 2 go over the house and its usually orange.

We are a long way from the end of this. We were planning to go up to the North Channel this year but I am not sure that is going to happen.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:24   #1420

My rate of breathing when at rest is about 22 breaths a minute. Should I pick up a load of virus - which I haven't because I'm careful that I don't breathe air that's been through somebody else's lungs - I could, unknowingly, spread an awful lot of virus in the coupla days it takes to get tested and get the results back! And in the time it takes for symptoms to show.

Testing and tracing is CLEARLY an essential part of gathering the data necessary to understand the nature of this/these virus(s), but it cannot be part of the prophylactic measures required to put paid to the pandemic. Herd immunity through vaccination is clearly no more than a fantasm.

Even here in BC, where the politicians have really been very good about staying out of Dr. Henry's way, and the way of the entire public health establishment, Auntie Bonnie is loosing ground because she cannot possibly stand against the political pressures that come her way via provincial politicians that, obviously, cannot afford to ignore changes in public mood deriving from the observed acts of extra-provincial politicians.

Some of you will already know this: The premier dropped his bottle by enjoining the "young people" not to "blow it for the rest of us" by attending bars and parties. A number of "journalists", a little short on both medical and political nous, raked him over the coals for that. It's "young people" that butter the bread of those particular "journalists" who will now carry their personal hostility to the Premier into the next provincial election with predictable results: Self-interest is King! Fortunately, the next test of popular will is a good three years away.

I understand that Mike O'Reilly has some journalism in his background. He may be able to parse these particular circumstances for us :-)!

AS Auntie sez: "Be calm; be kind, be safe"

TrentePieds
Old 12-04-2021, 12:09   #1421

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
We should have mandatory quarantine at a hotel last fall already and the government should have used the notwithstanding clause to do it. As of right now no one has to go to a quarantine hotel if they don't want to. Given what shambles the booking system is, why would you?
This is sort of what I meant. I have people quoting testing figures at me all day long and damning or praising the exact same figures. But are the quarantine and lockdown procedures being effectively implemented? Well, certainly not here in Alberta.

I am not sure how much I really want the gov't to clamp down, but whatever clamping they decide on they should surely do effectively.

Watched the Sailing Nahoa video about their trip back to Thailand in Jan. Now there is an efficient system of quarantine...
Old 12-04-2021, 12:31   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Ontario is a mess right now and it is only going to get much much worse. Our lockdowns have been jokes with almost nothing closed. Down in Eastern Ontario 20 beds ICU at Kingston General are filled with people from the GTA. Every day we hear a helicopter or 2 go over the house and its usually orange.

We are a long way from the end of this. We were planning to go up to the North Channel this year but I am not sure that is going to happen.
I'm really disappointed to see the magnitude of the current surge in Ontario. And having driven to London and back this weekend (hey, we're allowed to travel to take care of my elderly Mom)... the traffic...

Nonetheless, I'm still hoping that the combination of ramped-up vaccination and the stay-at-home orders will cause a corresponding drop in cases and hospitalizations - as happened with other shutdowns - by early May. And July is still 2.5 months away. So maybe your North Channel trip will still be possible. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-04-2021, 17:38   #1423

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
On Wednesday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention launched a stark warning that even fully vaccinated Americans should avoid travel to Canada. And if they do go for essential purposes, they should be tested three to five days upon return.

Don't see the border reopening anytime soon.
This makes no sense whatsoever. In the USA I can travel to any state, some of whom have higher rates than Canada. Hell, some parts of Canada have almost no covid.

If the above warning made sense then it would make even more sense to restrict travel between various states within the USA.
Old 12-04-2021, 17:55   #1424

Quote:
On Wednesday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention launched a stark warning that even fully vaccinated Americans should avoid travel to Canada. And if they do go for essential purposes, they should be tested three to five days upon return.

Don't see the border reopening anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
This makes no sense whatsoever. In the USA I can travel to any state, some of whom have higher rates than Canada. Hell, some parts of Canada have almost no covid.

If the above warning made sense then it would make even more sense to restrict travel between various states within the USA.
The CDC also warns against traveling to any area that has high levels of community spread. Not just Canada but also other countries and States of the USA.

The US Federal Government does not have border blocking powers between the States but does have control over the international borders. Some States did impose restrictions as to travel from other States and some still do.

Maybe we could give Michigan to Canada to care for the next couple of months, y'all send her back home when their pandemic breaks.
Old 12-04-2021, 18:00   #1425

Meme time, Eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canada covid meme.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	236428