Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 12:38   #136

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID part-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
One of things making me crazy is here in Alberta both sides want to view it as "convoy-caused." One side to say "yea Freedom!" and the other to blame Kenney for caving.

I just wish we could have a little more reality in the world and a little less spin.

Can I get an AMEN Brother!
Old 09-02-2022, 13:13   #137

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
(I hope Billy Proctor is still doing well) before carrying on north.
Billy was alive, indeed well and feisty July 2021. A pleasure to talk with. (FYI, we found nearby Shoal Hbr a good anchorage to visit with him.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20220209-131227_OpenCPN.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	252694
Old 09-02-2022, 13:25   #138

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Billy was alive, indeed well and feisty July 2021. A pleasure to talk with. (FYI, we found nearby Shoal Hbr a good anchorage to visit with him.)

Attachment 252694

Yes, we visited with him last summer too. I seem to get there most summers. And yes, I anchor in Shoal Harbour too - but as I row my dinghy (I won't have gasoline aboard) I usually tie to his dock to visit him. It's never been a problem although I've been rafted to a couple of times. Being steel it doesn't bother me.
Old 09-02-2022, 15:48   #139

Does anyone else find it painfully amusing that the initial trucker protest began over the claim that the mandates would hurt our supply chain by taking so many truckers off the road.

Of course, that didn't happen. The truck companies, and all the data, showed almost no impact. No surprise since the vast majority of truckers, like the vast majority of Canadians, are fully vaxxed.

So now that their prediction didn't come true, the protestors are closing border crossings. In doing so, are causing the very problem they claimed was the reason for their protest in the first place.
Old 09-02-2022, 16:15   #140
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Definitely the word is that freedom is on the move

Old 09-02-2022, 16:22   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Poilievre's leadership campaign is on the move. That's all.
Old 09-02-2022, 18:23   #142

My cardiologist has told me that the heart institute has been exceptionally busy during the last year and he expects that they will be overwhelmed by patients who will have major heart issues as a result of having had Covid and recovered, even for patients that had mild Covid, not requiring hospitalization.

The data reported by the US Veterans Administration, the largest healthcare provider in the USA certainly confirms that Covid is bad news for heart health.

Risk of new heart problems much higher after COVID recovery
Long after recovery from COVID-19, people face significantly higher risks for new heart problems.

Researchers at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs compared rates of new cardiovascular problems in 153,760 individuals infected with the coronavirus before vaccines were available, 5.6 million people who did not catch the virus, and another 5.9 million people whose data was collected before the pandemic.

An average of one year after their recovery from the acute phase of the infection, the COVID-19 survivors had a 63% higher risk for heart attack, a 69% higher risk for problematic irregular heart rhythm, a 52% higher risk of stroke, a 72% higher risk of heart failure, and a nearly three times higher risk of a potentially fatal blood clot in the lungs compared with the other two groups, according to a report published on Monday in Nature Medicine.

The elevated risks among former COVID-19 patients were evident in young and old, Blacks and whites, males and females, people with and without diabetes and with and without kidney disease, as well as smokers and nonsmokers, said Ziyad Al-Aly of the VA St. Louis Health Care System and Washington University in St. Louis. The risks were high even in people who had mild COVID-19 and did not need to be hospitalized for it, "It really spared no one,"

"People with COVID-19 should pay attention to their health and seek medical care if they experience symptoms like chest pain, chest pressure, palpitation, swelling in the legs, etc."

No joy.
Old 09-02-2022, 18:46   #143

An unvaccinated truck driver died from Covid-19. His mom has a message for protesting Canadian truckers

"It's a horrible thing to watch somebody die of this disease," Makins, who lives in a small Ontario town, told CNN on Tuesday. "I'm hoping (these truckers) can hear what I have to say and how bad Covid can be and maybe save somebody in their family or even themselves."

. . .

Mitchell never got vaccinated, but it wasn't because he was against the vaccine, according to his mother.
"My son was not an anti-vaxxer, he just claimed he didn't have the time -- and if he was here, he would be sorry, wouldn't he," Makins said. "He knew that he should get it, but he just didn't get around to doing it."

. . .

Mrs. Makins said she does not understand why some truckers are refusing the vaccine. The situation is starting to "anger" her.
"They're shutting down the economy of our country and (the United States)," Makins said. "It is really disruptive. All kinds of people, nobody can go to work or use those roads. Trucks can't get through with their cargoes, so it's time they went home."

She added: "Freedoms are privileges."

Makins comes from a long line of truckers. Her father owned a trucking transport company. Her brothers and both her sons were all truckers, she said.

She hopes her message can save others' lives and spare families from this pain.
"You don't ever deal with it, you just learn to cope," Makins said of her loss. "I would just like to spare other mothers, other families and other friends" from the grief.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/ameri...rnd/index.html
Old 09-02-2022, 18:54   #144

Boat: Allied Seawind II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
As sailors, we should all appreciate "being the authors of our own story once again!"
Old 09-02-2022, 19:00   #145

Measures that should be exceptional and limited in time are becoming normalized. It's becoming harder and harder to know where public health ends and politics begins.

Old 09-02-2022, 19:13   #146

Stop with the politics.
Old 09-02-2022, 19:22   #147

Old 09-02-2022, 19:25   #148
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvmille View Post
Measures that should be exceptional and limited in time are becoming normalized. It's becoming harder and harder to know where public health ends and politics begins.
relax , Skynet will tell you soon enough
Old 09-02-2022, 20:20   #149

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Two posts have been removed for rudeness, some for being political without sufficient reference to cruising and sailing, and some for possible trolling.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:39   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Zello conversations reveal gulf between convoy supporters and their critics
Protesting truckers and their supporters have been using a walkie-talkie app called Zello to communicate, and those conversations reveal a wide gulf between how they see themselves and how critics view them.
Video [5:52] https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2001523779620/