Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 05:00   #151

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Canadian COVID part-2

Don't forget the discussion between Drs Tam, Njoo and Deeks about vaccines, lockdowns, mask mandates and Covid 19 tomorrow, Friday February 11th at 1300 EST in the Marriott Ottawa York Room.

Drs. Bridle, Alexander and Hodkinson declare the following: """"""""""We are calling upon all Governments of Canada to publicly declare an end to the health emergency, and an end to all COVID-19 mandates both provincially and federally, as the evidence is clear that there is no health emergency, and the mandates cannot be supported scientifically"""""""""""

https://viralimmunologist.substack.c...utm_medium=web

Link contains the formal invitations to Drs Tam, Njoo and Deeks. And may i remind Drs Tam, Njoo and Deeks that failure to show either in person or by Zoom is a tacit admission of your inability to defend your decisions.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 10-02-2022, 05:26   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Snowball effect’: Canada’s trucker convoy sparks anti-mandate protests globally
The so-called “Freedom Convoy” protest movement against COVID-19 vaccine mandates that has paralyzed the Canadian capital and spilled over to key Canada-U.S. border crossings has gained global momentum, with similar demonstrations popping up in other parts of the world.

Inspired by the Canadian truckers, French protesters set out from southern France on Wednesday in what they call a “freedom convoy” that will converge on Paris and Brussels — headquarters of the European Union — to demand an end to COVID-19 restrictions.

In the Australian capital, the “Convoy to Canberra” rally against mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations has attracted protesters from across the country. Over the past week, hundreds of cars and trucks have blocked roads and targeted businesses in the city.

Meanwhile, in Wellington, New Zealand, more than 1,000 people driving cars and trucks from around the country converged on Parliament Tuesday to protest against COVID-19 mandates.

Across the border in the United States, an American version of Canada’s trucker convoy is planning a similar demonstration against COVID-19 mandates. Organizers of the “The People’s Convoy” plan to kickstart their protest from Coachella Valley in Indio, Cali., on Mar. 4 and head towards Washington, D.C.

More ➥ https://globalnews.ca/news/8608477/f...ovid-protests/

Misinformation fuels copycats as Ottawa convoy gains international support

With the occupying protests in Ottawa gaining international support, similar movements hoping to protest COVID-19 mandates are underway in other countries, especially the United States. Jackson Proskow looks at the false information and right-wing media fuelling much of that support.
https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/83022...5/?jwsource=em

Daily Affirmation:
"I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia."

Old 10-02-2022, 05:41   #153

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

organizing an International (Canada included), day of protest against hurricanes, acne, and rainy days.
anybody care to join?

Freedom Fighter
Old 10-02-2022, 05:56   #154

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Sorry Ann
if you remove my recent posting for been off-topic unrelated to thread tittle is fine,just could not help myself .
Old 10-02-2022, 06:32   #155

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
organizing an International (Canada included), day of protest against hurricanes, acne, and rainy days.
anybody care to join?

Freedom Fighter
Ha ha. I'm in!
Old 10-02-2022, 06:47   #156

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
anybody care to join?

Freedom Fighter

Yes, it's pathetic and childish, but none of us should be bamboozled (the way these protest supporters are) that this is really about "mandates". It is part of long-standing effort by a few to build a political movement that seeks to delegitimize and destroy the institutions of our democracies. These protestors are being used.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:28   #157

Fantasy scenario for the next few days:
  • protesters provide a single detailed manifesto or whatever listing all their demands (... have they done so? Besides their demand for an end to all the COVID restrictions and mandates, about the only other visible demand they've made is to "F*CK TRUDEAU"... and I would think that this requires his voluntary participation. They haven't yet even offered to buy him a nice dinner first)
  • a national broadcast is scheduled.
    • if available, protest spokespersons present their demands and a brief case for them. Could be live, or a submitted video.
    • the Prime Minister, and every provincial Premier take turns to speak about their COVID measures, their successes, and their current criteria and plans for easing them. It might be a useful conciliatory gesture to acknowledge the national fatigue and that the provincial premiers have met to coordinate and perhaps speed up Canada's efforts to open up.
    • maybe a short preproduced segment on how successful Canada has done during the pandemic. Particularly when compared to, um, other countries.
    • The PM wraps up, hitting on the following points:
      • thanking Canadians for their patience and cooperation
      • acknowledging the desire to get back to normal
      • stressing that the end to the pandemic is near
      • the protest, if prolonged, can only be regarded now as a siege or occupation from a tiny minority, and fueled by extremist and outside influences. It is not democratic.
      • the siege is likely to cause more economic and social damage than the pandemic restrictions
      • the spectre of Canadian-on-Canadian violence is horrifying, but that's the most likely outcome if the occupations and blockades don't voluntarily end soon.
      • charges will soon be laid heavily, and any remaining vehicles will be seized. Organizers (the recipients of donations) will be sued into the ground.
      • some sort of carrot in terms of most charges being dropped (or more charges not laid) if the occupations end peacefully
      • set a deadline for leaving, repeat the timetable for COVID restriction removals
      • Trudeau politely declines the offer of coitus
      • Good Night
Oh, and also that Canada wins the most medals in the Olympics, and that nuclear fusion finally proves viable. And a pony. Thx.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:41   #158

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Link contains the formal invitations to Drs Tam, Njoo and Deeks. And may i remind Drs Tam, Njoo and Deeks that failure to show either in person or by Zoom is a tacit admission of your inability to defend your decisions.

jon
ROTFLMAO.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:46   #159

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Two posts have been removed for rudeness, some for being political without sufficient reference to cruising and sailing, and some for possible trolling.
Another cannon ball across the bow folks. There was a post like this before the last Canadian Covid thread was closed.

If you find someone annoying in their inflexibility and inability to substantiate claims with peer reviewed articles/evidence (trolls) put them on ignore.

You'll never change their minds and only pour fuel on their irrelevant participation in this thread, which usually has really good content.

Spirited debate is fine, responding to trolls is futile.

My ignore list climbed to 5 this morning.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:49   #160

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Two posts have been removed for rudeness, some for being political without sufficient reference to cruising and sailing, and some for possible trolling.
As a member of this community, you have my unqualified support for removing rude posts and indeed suspending those who write rude posts.

Having said that, Covid related discussions are obviously very interesting to many in the community, even when they are not directly related to cruising. In my case I respect and appreciate the thoughtfulness given the topic by most of the posters and indeed the balanced discussion by many.

My plea would be to continue to allow non-cruising related discussion of Covid and to avoid censorship of content as long as the post falls within the boundaries of civil discourse.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:07   #161

Boat: J/88

I listened to the Mayor of Mississauga this morning give her Covid update. Their hospital, Trillium I think, was presented as the busiest hospital in the country with respect to Covid cases. The recent peak was 300 Covid related cases and 30 in ICU but this week they are at 100 cases and 10 in ICU.

Good news full of optimism, let's hope it continues on this path.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:27   #162

Nice to see that the Canadian Conservative Party has finally figured out how to throw a saddle onto the protest. Let's see how far they can ride it.

(seriously, this could help lead to a peaceful end)
Old 10-02-2022, 14:55   #163

ust read this in the Daily Mail comments:
"I have never been prouder to be Canadian. Those who oppose the protest are consumers of toxic MSM. The streets are spotless, crime has dropped by 90% in downtown Ottawa, homeless are clothed and fed, hockey games for locals, flowers laid daily at memorials and statues, free food on every corner and even a mini food bank for residents, no honking now, saunas and hot tubs, bouncy castles and kid's play areas, over 110 signed affidavits from residents applauding the convoy. This weekend: free 'flatten the fear' pancake breakfast for the whole city and memorial service for lives lost during pandemic and a medical debate with all levels of government invited to talk to doctors who say science supports the truckers. THIS is my Canada."
Old 10-02-2022, 15:17   #164

Boat: Rafiki 37

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-bridge-closed
  • Downtown bus detours and closures continued Thursday as the protest entered its 14th day in the capital. Ottawans are still advised to avoid non-essential travel, especially downtown.
  • Hundreds of business and services remain shuttered because of the threats from the protestors. Thousands of workers are losing income. Businesses are going under.
  • Police said: “We are aware of a concerted effort to flood our 911 and non-emergency policing reporting line”
  • Ottawa police said they’ve made 25 arrests and issued 1,775 tickets since protests started late last month
  • Shelter officials described their behaviour as “mob-like.” Earlier, a man who lives in the shelter was assaulted outdoors by protesters who then hurled racial slurs at a security guard who went to assist him, said the shelter’s president and CEO Deirdre Freiheit.
  • Businesses and homes displaying Pride flags have been attacked.
  • And the honking only slowed down (has not stopped) after court injunction was granted. This was not a voluntary move by the protestors.
Yeah, so much to be proud of

BTW, I am currently living in Ottawa. There is nothing friendly or encouraging about this action. This is completely unCanadian, and an embarrassment for the world.
Old 10-02-2022, 15:53   #165

Oh look, the protest organizers are starting to walk their government-toppling manifesto back.
...on Tuesday, organizing group Canada Unity issued a statement to withdraw the MOU that demanded Gov. Gen. Mary Simon and the Senate join with the protesters to force federal and provincial governments to lift all COVID-19 restrictions, including vaccine mandates. The MOU was taken down from the Canada Unity website.
Oh well, I guess this is all part of building to a peaceful exit.

(Click me for an archived capture of the MOU before it was taken down.)

According to my PDF reader, the above final version of the MOU was created on Nov 25 of last year. They have been cooking this up for a while! I guess Omicron, and its fast rise and fall, caught them by surprise too.