Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 09:24   #196

re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Montanan,

Remember, the reason half the French patients in intensive care are *not* elderly is triage. That will be universally true.

If a doctor has the choice of putting a 45-year-old with breathing difficulty on a ventalator versus an 80-plus person (who would likely die anyway) they are putting the younger, more-likely-to-survive person. There are a limited number of ventalators in any healthcare system. One town in Italy has 12 per 100,000.

That is also why there is such a high percentage of the elderly dying in Europe generally. Not only do the demographics of Europe, overall, skew disproportionately towards older/elderly people, there also are just not enough ventalators - so the death numbers are higher.

This is also the reason for the extreme measures we are seeing. If we can lengthen out (slow it, I mean) the rate of infection, those who will need a ventalator might have a chance of actually getting one.

Best wishes to you - stay safe!
LittleWing77
A bring your own ventilator moment. Yes equipment and beds can be a constraint and you sure as heck can't share a ventilator.

By way of example, as of two days ago, there were only 4 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the State of Montana, population of just over 1 million. There were at that date 400 open surgical/medical beds available in all of the healthcare facilities, although there are some additional non surgical / medical beds that could be pressed into use at hospitals to supplement the 400 then available beds. If 1% of the population becomes ill and needing hospital treatment that would be more than 2 times the available beds to place them in. Going to be very challenging and all the more reason to have a shelter in place lockdown so as to flatten the curve to not over tax the capacity of the health facilities.

Simple, guidance: Act as if you are the vector and stay away from others.
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 09:25   #197

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

If local authorities shutdown or go into lockdown like the six California counties there will be no movement of recreational boats. Just as there is no movement of recreational cars there either. Who knows how long that may last or if state borders will be closed at some point: if you need to be somewhere you need to get there soon.

This could very likely directly impact boaters and RVers equally, at this point these very similar groups are being overlooked for now. But if things get ramped up it will effect us just like those ashore. I suggest finding a marina with walking access to food and medical services if at all possible. Don’t count on being able to take a cab or Uber to the market or ER!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 09:43   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmurray View Post
I want to sail my boat home to Canada. I'm in Cuba right now, and want to head up the coast of USA. Anyone have any info on any bans on Canadians trying to get home via a private vessel. Hope the ports stay open, Erie canal stays open, and Canada welcomes me home.
There is a really big difference between a want and a need, especially when the world is imposing essential travel only mandates. There being nothing essential about a yacht.

Government of Canada:

Official Global Travel Advisory

Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.

To limit the spread of COVID-19, many countries have put in place travel or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines. Airlines have cancelled flights. New restrictions may be imposed with little warning. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted and you may be forced to remain outside of Canada longer than expected.

Contact your airline or tour operator to determine options for cancelling or postponing your trip.

If you are still considering travelling or are already outside of Canada:

Check your destination’s Safety and security, Entry/exit requirements and Health sections.
Get the Government of Canada’s latest updates on COVID-19.
Check the Pandemic COVID-19 travel health notice.
Find out what commercial options are still available to return to Canada. Consider returning to Canada earlier than planned if these options are becoming more limited.
Ensure that you have sufficient finances and necessities, including medication, in case your travels are disrupted.
Check with your travel insurance provider to know more about their policies related to COVID-19. Find out if you are covered for medical treatment if you become infected with COVID-19 as well as for extended stays outside of Canada.
This advisory overrides all other risk levels, with the exception of areas for which we advise to avoid all travel (including regional advisories). The avoid all travel advisories remain valid.
Old 17-03-2020, 10:04   #199

UK update. Flattening the curve. [No that doesn't mean your body measurements].

More than 37,000 people have been tested in the UK, of whom 1,553 have come back positive. Fifty-five patients have died.

UK officials have reportedly used the Imperial team’s predictions to guide them in combatting the coronavirus.

The UK is aiming to “suppress” the outbreak, “reducing case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely”, rather than “mitigating” it.

Mitigation focuses on “slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread” by protecting the elderly and already ill, who are most at-risk.

The suppressing approach is thought to save more lives, but reduces hopes the public will build up herd immunity.

The Imperial scientists based the above chart on a simulation model “developed to support pandemic influenza planning”.

If Britons did not change their behaviour, allowing the coronavirus to spread readily in the community, the chart shows around 275 beds would be occupied for every 100,000 people in the UK come mid-May.

This could result in the critical care bed capacity being “exceeded as early as the second week in April”, the scientists wrote.

The peak out of the outbreak could then result in a demand for beds that is “over 30 times greater than the maximum supply” in both the UK and US.

Interventions are being put in place to prevent this happening, known as “flattening the curve”.

These may help reduce case numbers and therefore deaths, with timing seemingly being everything.

“Introducing such interventions too early risks allowing transmission to return once they are lifted; it is therefore necessary to balance the timing of introduction with the scale of disruption imposed and the likely period over which the interventions can be maintained”, the scientists wrote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ukflatteningthecurve.PNG
Views:	143
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	210750  
Old 17-03-2020, 10:12   #200

March 17th,

"Enjoy your home. Stay," says @POTUS when asked if people should travel to place that aren't host spots, such as Caribbean islands
Old 17-03-2020, 10:33   #201

Quote:
I want to sail my boat home to Canada. I'm in Cuba right now, and want to head up the coast of USA. Anyone have any info on any bans on Canadians trying to get home via a private vessel. Hope the ports stay open, Erie canal stays open, and Canada welcomes me home.
Trudeau also said Canadians who want to return home or who will have to wait in a foreign country were eligible for a $5,000 emergency loan.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/ca...rgency/1769530
Old 17-03-2020, 11:35   #202

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43.3

Thanks for all feedback. I have a USA cursing permit for my Canadian registered boat already, so I may roll the dice and attempt a landing in Florida. Quarantine or not, I would prefer to get my boat out of Cuba. There was some wise points raised here, and I expect it will not be clear sailing or ICW motoring. Still too cold in Canada anyway. Thanks
toddmurray is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 11:43   #203
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dear montanan. nurses in icu in italy have developed a manner of sharing ventilators so fewer people are turned away from critical care during their illness. yes i donot like it but it seems to be working. as both patients would be suffering same illness i gather they deem this practice emergently life saving and do able for this emergency.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 11:47   #204

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
. I have a USA cursing permit
I didn't realise it was required.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 11:55   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
nurses in icu in italy have developed a manner of sharing ventilators so fewer people are turned away from critical care during their illness. yes i donot like it but it seems to be working. as both patients would be suffering same illness i gather they deem this practice emergently life saving and do able for this emergency.
.. sounds like a reasonable strategy.

As well, there are some lower-cost ventilation possibilities; not every patient will require the complex support of the few $50k units.

Ideas are also coming in from other quarters. Like this. Or here.

I expect there are new ideas coming up about how to keep all available ventilators in service.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 12:19   #206

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Argentina suspends internal travel for 5 days...

'Transport Minister Mario Meoni says Argentina will suspend domestic flights and long-distance coach, bus and train services for five days over long weekend. Only seated passengers on public transport until March 31.'

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/arge...-weekend.phtml
Old 17-03-2020, 12:24   #207

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
.. sounds like a reasonable strategy.

As well, there are some lower-cost ventilation possibilities; not every patient will require the complex support of the few $50k units.

Ideas are also coming in from other quarters. Like this. Or here.

I expect there are new ideas coming up about how to keep all available ventilators in service.
A few days ago the uk gov sent the plans for a respirator out to a number of industrial manufacturers (for example rolls and airbus) to see if they could reproduce them.
Olly75 is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 12:49   #208

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Thanks for all feedback. I have a USA cursing permit for my Canadian registered boat already, so I may roll the dice and attempt a landing in Florida. Quarantine or not, I would prefer to get my boat out of Cuba. There was some wise points raised here, and I expect it will not be clear sailing or ICW motoring. Still too cold in Canada anyway. Thanks

First contact our embassy in Havana, if it is still open, then if you figure you CAN.

Second, call your desired point of landfall in the US before leaving.

Worst case you will be in Cuba for months, the way things are shaking out, I think it could be quite a while. YMMV.

My thoughts, feel free to disregard.

Cheers from the frosty North
Old 17-03-2020, 13:02   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
My understanding is Canada will welcome you but may impose a quarantine period.

You have one certain method of getting home, which is to just sail there. We are on the cusp of a rather favorable season for the trip. A bit latter would be better.

I have sailed single handed from DELAWARE to Shelbourne, Nova Scotia without incident in a 44’ boat, mid May. Your trip is about double that. But I’ve met others who do it. Some stop at Bermuda enroute but that may not be an option.

If you need crew this gentleman may be able to help.

https://www.sailopo.com/h1.aspx?rd=1
hpeer is offline   Reply
Old 17-03-2020, 14:40   #210
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Today we saw a big truck hauling US Border Patrol water scooters on I95 South in Florida. I bet they are for enforcing a closure of harbors soon.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply