Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2020, 16:50   #241

re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

The Foreign Office (FCO) is advising UK nationals against all but essential international travel. Border closures and other travel restrictions are increasing globally. The FCO advice takes effect immediately from 17 March, for an initial period of 30 days.

This article is being updated daily. It was last updated at 9pm, 18 March

In a statement, the FCO said the advice is in response to the increasingly unpredictable situation in terms of restrictions being imposed:

“Often there is little or no notice when countries take these steps and restrictions are also being imposed in areas where no cases of coronavirus have yet been reported. They are therefore very difficult to predict.

“British people who decide that they still need to travel abroad should be fully aware of the increased risks of doing so. That includes the risk that they may not be able to get home, if travel restrictions are put in place. Anyone still considering travel to be realistic about the level of disruption they are willing and able to endure, and to make decisions in light of the unprecedented conditions we face.”

The FCO is not advising UK nationals to immediately return to the UK, but says that people should “keep in mind that flights may be cancelled at short notice or other travel restrictions may be put in place by foreign governments” and “take account of the fast moving situation and plan accordingly, while flights remain available in many places
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 18-03-2020, 16:59   #242

Boat: Westerly Sealord
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Life on the ground in Panama
From Cruising Anarchy One-way plane tickets - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums post 26

'TheDragon
Super Anarchist

Just an update. I had no problems flying to Panama on Saturday on my one-way ticket. The American Airline agents at Indianapolis did not question it. I had my boat papers and PPJ documentation and the email from the Panama Embassy just in case. But then as I got to Panama everything shut down. Shelter Bay marina was closed on Sunday (I had planned to sail there to prep for the canal), then all destinations were closed, like the San Blas Islands, and all neighboring countries. And then all restaurants were ordered closed and a national emergency announcement on Monday led to panic buying at supermarkets. No rental cars may be hired. Finally, when I tried to check into a cruising permit extension or a zarpe, I was informed all those offices are closed and no documents are being issued, so one cannot leave the country by boat. My agent still thought I could transit, but I need a couple more weeks to work on the boat. New rules are you need to be in the flats for 14 days quarantine on your boat, then on the other side you cannot leave your boat at all, so you cannot provision. Plus French Polynesia has now said you can arrive but have to stay on the island you arrive at, so what's the point. Given the possibility of not being able to leave (locals were closing roads to stop people moving around, like the Pan-American highway to Costa Rica), I decided to bail and flew back back to Illinois yesterday. Which sucks, because not only did I sell my local boat on Friday, they closed our local lake to all activities. Can't even go to Cape Hatteras for kitesurfing, might just go north to Canada border for some skiing. I have no idea when I might be able to get back to my boat in Panama, and will have to defer the PPJ till next year.'
Old 18-03-2020, 17:25   #243

Boat: DownEaster 38

What's the situation in Martinique? I have Norwegian friends on a Norwegian sailing vessel anchored there. I assume they can get on shore for supplies.
Sailing and all other recreational boating in France has been prohibited. Is the same being applied in their territories?
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply
Old 18-03-2020, 17:33   #244

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

You can go ashore for groceries, etc but you are supposed to carry a paper that you fill out each time. Very quiet (nice) here for now. Clearing in is still possible at St Anne's , as of today anyway. The Facebook group for Martinique cruisers is a good source of current information.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply
Old 18-03-2020, 18:08   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Life on the ground in Panama
From Cruising Anarchy One-way plane tickets - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums post 26

'TheDragon
Super Anarchist

Just an update. I had no problems flying to Panama on Saturday on my one-way ticket. The American Airline agents at Indianapolis did not question it. I had my boat papers and PPJ documentation and the email from the Panama Embassy just in case. But then as I got to Panama everything shut down. Shelter Bay marina was closed on Sunday (I had planned to sail there to prep for the canal), then all destinations were closed, like the San Blas Islands, and all neighboring countries. And then all restaurants were ordered closed and a national emergency announcement on Monday led to panic buying at supermarkets. No rental cars may be hired. Finally, when I tried to check into a cruising permit extension or a zarpe, I was informed all those offices are closed and no documents are being issued, so one cannot leave the country by boat. My agent still thought I could transit, but I need a couple more weeks to work on the boat. New rules are you need to be in the flats for 14 days quarantine on your boat, then on the other side you cannot leave your boat at all, so you cannot provision. Plus French Polynesia has now said you can arrive but have to stay on the island you arrive at, so what's the point. Given the possibility of not being able to leave (locals were closing roads to stop people moving around, like the Pan-American highway to Costa Rica), I decided to bail and flew back back to Illinois yesterday. Which sucks, because not only did I sell my local boat on Friday, they closed our local lake to all activities. Can't even go to Cape Hatteras for kitesurfing, might just go north to Canada border for some skiing. I have no idea when I might be able to get back to my boat in Panama, and will have to defer the PPJ till next year.'
Note that the Canadian USA border is closed to recreational and tourist travel. Only essential travel will be permitted across the border. And I suspect that the ski resort will likely be closed. Glad you made it home, truthfully you should have not left the country for non-essential travel given the pandemic.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:23   #246

One of those you can't get there from here anymore situations.

Stay at home.

Australian airline Qantas and its subsidiary Jetstar will suspend scheduled international flights from late March until at least the end of May due to the coronavirus crisis.

In a statement posted on its website Thursday, Qantas Group announced that 60% of its domestic flights would also be cut,
and two-thirds of its 30,000 employees would be temporarily stood down.

There's the possibility of ad-hoc international flights, the group said in its statement.

Here's the group's statement:

Earlier this week, cuts to 90 per cent of international flying and about 60 per cent of domestic flying were announced by Qantas and Jetstar. With the Federal Government now recommending against all overseas travel from Australia, regularly scheduled international flights will continue until late March to assist with repatriation and will then be suspended until at least the end of May 2020. As the national carrier, Qantas is in ongoing discussions with the Federal Government about continuation of some strategic links.
More than 150 aircraft will be temporarily grounded, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787-9s and Jetstar’s B787-8s. Discussions are progressing with airports and government about parking for these aircraft.
Essential domestic, regional and freight connections will be maintained as much as possible.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:27   #247

More you can't get there from here.

Air Canada will gradually suspend majority of international and US trans-border flights

Air Canada announced Wednesday that it will gradually suspend the majority of its international and US trans-border flights by March 31.

The move come after the US and Canada decided to close its borders and restrict flights as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the airline said in a statement.

The airline said it intends to maintain a small number of international and US trans-border destinations from select Canadian cities after April 1.

According to the statement, the airline will also continue serving all provinces and territories of Canada after that date.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:32   #248

The low-cost airline Ryanair said it expects that "most if not all" its flights will be grounded by March 24, except for "a very few" essential operations mainly between the UK and Ireland.

The company said it will "cut flight schedules" from 8 p.m. ET on March 18 until March 24 by 80%.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:34   #249

Israel bars all foreign nationals from entering country

Israel has announced that it will immediately start barring all foreign nationals from entering the country, even if they have the ability to self-quarantine upon arrival.

The decision was announced by the Population and Immigration Authority on Wednesday with the backing of the Ministry of Health.

“Following two weeks of restricting entry to travelers who are neither citizens nor residents of the State of Israel, the Ministry of Health has recommended stricter entry prevention measures in order to halt the spread of the Coronavirus. In light of the foregoing and pursuant to the recommendations from the Ministry of Health, it has been decided that, effective today, foreign nationals who are neither citizens nor residents of Israel will not be permitted to enter the State of Israel,” a statement from the Authority said, noting that exceptions will be made for “those whose lives are based in Israel.”
The directive impacts all international crossings, so the border crossings with Jordan and Egypt are now closed to foreign nationals, as is Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion international airport.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:42   #250

On average, COVID-19 fatalities in Italy are happening "eight days" after patients show first symptoms, according to a report by the Italian government. The findings are based on data up to March 17 and only on the outbreak in Italy.

The document published by the Italian National Health Institute details that, on average, it takes four days from when patients show first symptoms until they are hospitalized and four more days until they die.

The median average age of Italian deceased is 80.5 years old, while the median average for those infected is 63, the report says.

Women only make up 30% of the total dead and their median average age at the time of death is higher than men, at 83.6 years old.

The government also found that most people had two or three existing pathologies prior to being infected with the coronavirus. Among those, high blood pressure was the most common, followed by heart problems and diabetes.

As for the most common complications developed because of the virus, respiratory failure was the leading one, happening in 97.2% of the cases. Liver and heart failure were the second and third most common complications.
Old 18-03-2020, 18:48   #251

New Hampshire governor issues emergency orders, including temporary authorization for take-out beer

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu issued several emergency orders in response to the COVID-19 pandemic on Wednesday.

The orders include the temporary authorization for take-out or delivery beer or wine; the temporary modification of data and privacy governance plans, which will give school districts greater flexibility developing remote learning tools; and the temporary expansion of access to Telehealth Services to protect the public and health care providers, according to a release from Sununu’s offic
Old 18-03-2020, 19:09   #252

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
What's the situation in Martinique? I have Norwegian friends on a Norwegian sailing vessel anchored there. I assume they can get on shore for supplies.
Sailing and all other recreational boating in France has been prohibited. Is the same being applied in their territories?
My source for this is a friend of ours who is anchored in Martinique. She reported about 200 vessels at anchor. They are allowed to go ashore for food and medical. She has been wearing her boat working gloves ashore, and using a scarf for a reminder to not touch her face. There are a couple of South African single handers expected in; it is not known at this point how they will be handled. Our friend also reports, no take out food, no music. A very quiet town.

Ann
Old 18-03-2020, 20:33   #253

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
New Hampshire governor issues emergency orders, including temporary authorization for take-out beer

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu issued several emergency orders in response to the COVID-19 pandemic on Wednesday.

The orders include the temporary authorization for take-out or delivery beer or wine; the temporary modification of data and privacy governance plans, which will give school districts greater flexibility developing remote learning tools; and the temporary expansion of access to Telehealth Services to protect the public and health care providers, according to a release from Sununu’s offic
Panama by contrast has curtailed all alcohol sales.
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 18-03-2020, 22:18   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Panama by contrast has curtailed all alcohol sales.
Well when you close the bars and restaurants and liquors stores whose income is primarily derived from sell beer and wine you have to find creative ways to help them financially survive the crisis and what better way then to have booze delivered when you are in lockdown. Keeps up the moral.
Old 18-03-2020, 23:19   #255
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Tasmania is applying a 14 day quarantine period for all but essential travellers beginning at midnight Friday 20 March. Essential travellers include medical staff, people with associated with trade goods and some people requiring regular medical services on the mainland.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply