Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2020, 00:50   #256

Boat: Westerly Sealord
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Note that the Canadian USA border is closed to recreational and tourist travel. Only essential travel will be permitted across the border. And I suspect that the ski resort will likely be closed. Glad you made it home, truthfully you should have not left the country for non-essential travel given the pandemic.

Not me.... that is a repost from CA explaining the situation in Panama.
I was flying back to Ecuador next weekend... they shut the country up as tight as a crab's bum at 40 fathoms at the begining of the week... to foreigners and Ecuadorians

Friends with a boat in Ecuador were in Peru when the door slammed shut... now stuck in a rather nice - and remote - high country lodge at $30 a night for the duration... jammy barstewards
Old 19-03-2020, 00:53   #257

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
The Philippines lifted a deadline for thousands of foreign travelers to leave the northern third of the country, including the capital, after quarantining the region due to an increase in coronavirus infections, officials said Wednesday.

The monthlong quarantine declared by President Rodrigo Duterte requires people to stay mostly at home and restricts land, air and sea travel on Luzon, the main island in the archipelago of more than 100 million people.
The restrictions caused confusion and traffic jams, and the suspension of public transport stranded many health workers and emergency personnel.

Philippine officials initially asked foreign travelers, including tourists, to leave Luzon within 72 hours because all flights from the region would eventually be suspended. An inter-agency group dealing with the health crisis, however, said the deadline had been lifted and foreigners could leave Luzon anytime.

“We don’t want to give them pressure because it’ll be more difficult for them, so we opened up,” Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles told a late-evening news conference.

Foreign travelers in Luzon may face limited options for staying as mass transportation is suspended and more businesses decide to close. Some airlines have canceled international flights, complicating the problems of outbound travelers.
Can you supply a link for this information?
I’m in the Philippines and don’t see this in any of the news.
delmarrey is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2020, 00:53   #258
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Australia is closing it's borders to everyone except Australian citizens and permanent residence holders.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2020, 00:53   #259

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Tasmania is applying a 14 day quarantine period for all but essential travellers beginning at midnight Friday 20 March. Essential travellers include medical staff, people with associated with trade goods and some people requiring regular medical services on the mainland.
What would they be? Beads, guns and firewater?

Tas is way ahead of the federal government who are still in faffing around mode.
Old 19-03-2020, 01:06   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What would they be? Beads, guns and firewater?
Haha... we are good for the firewater, two breweries, plenty of micro distillers; no more guns needed and most beads come from China anyway.

More seriously, the Spirit of Tasmania is expected to have much more space for freight and in a rare spirit of unity, most business leaders, most Tasmanians and all state political parties supported the move.

I note the federal government is catching up fast though!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-03-2020, 03:16   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Canadian Outbreak At-A-Glance
Reported Data Includes Presumed & Confirmed Cases, Last Updated 3/19/2020, 6:01:00 AM
Total Cases 727
Recovered 11
Deaths 9
Tests Performed 50,977
https://resources-covid19canada.hub.arcgis.com/

Epidemiological Data from the COVID-19 Outbreak in Canada
Interactive Dashboard (visual analytics) ➥ https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/
Line Dataset ➥ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=942958991

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University
The dashboard, first shared publicly on January 22, illustrates the location and number of confirmed COVID-19 cases, deaths and recoveries for all affected countries. It was developed to provide researchers, public health authorities and the general public with a user-friendly tool to track the outbreak as it unfolds. The dashboard reports cases at the province level in China, city level in the US, Australia and Canada, and at the country level otherwise.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2020, 03:19   #262

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

a question ; is anybody aware of ANYBODY, ANYWHERE in the world, dying of corvin19 who was not already in a high risk group ie with impaired immune system, co-morbidity, chronic illnesses etc etc

i believe the answer is NO, however will be happy to be corrected

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2020, 03:40   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
a question ; is anybody aware of ANYBODY, ANYWHERE in the world, dying of corvin19 who was not already in a high risk group ie with impaired immune system, co-morbidity, chronic illnesses etc etc

cheers,
This suggests there are some.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/
Old 19-03-2020, 03:58   #264
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So far there have been zero fatal infections in children under 10 reported, and one death reported in a teen, a 14-year-old boy in China, according to a study published this week.

Chinese researchers set out to look at the impact of the disease on children younger than 18 years, so they analyzed data from Jan. 16 to Feb. 8 on 2,143 children in China. The team reported its findings on March 16, 2020.
About 4% of children were asymptomatic, 51% had mild illness and 39% had moderate illness. About 6% had severe or critical illness, compared to 18.5% of adults. And in an unexplained finding, nearly 11% of the Covid-19 cases in infants were severe or critical, though no babies died. An important caveat, however, is that some of what doctors believed to be Covid-19 might have been another respiratory disease, including respiratory syncytial virus, which is known to cause severe illness in children.
One child, a 14-year-old boy, died.
“Epidemiology of COVID-19 Among Children in China” ~ by Dong Y, et al. (Pediatrics, March 16, 2020)
https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...-0702.full.pdf

Old 19-03-2020, 04:16   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
cheers,
How would the accuracy of that statement be relevant?
Were it true, that there is NO mortal danger to low-risk groups; would it change your behavior, in any material way? I, certainly, hope not.

Old 19-03-2020, 04:25   #266

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

All this talk about washing hands and wearing masks along with not touching door knobs, handrails and other high traffic items. But there has been no mention of the handling of cash money.

Money is one of the most trafficked items on the planet. Here in P.I. I’m constantly washing my hands when out and about, traveling & buying stuff. The money here sometimes looks like it came out of a garbage can. And I’ve seen stuff in the US that wasn’t much better.

I seen some gal at a 7-11 licking her fingers as she was counting the bundle of bills. 🤮 I mentioned it but got a dirty look. Oh well!

BTW I wonder if the COVID19 can be spread by farts. If you can smell them, then why can’t you get the bacteria too?
Old 19-03-2020, 04:33   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
All this talk about washing hands and wearing masks along with not touching door knobs, handrails and other high traffic items. But there has been no mention of the handling of cash money.
Money is one of the most trafficked items on the planet. Here in P.I. I’m constantly washing my hands when out and about, traveling & buying stuff. The money here sometimes looks like it came out of a garbage can. And I’ve seen stuff in the US that wasn’t much better ...
Indeed!
The World Health Organization recently declared that hard currency could be carrying COVID-19, and encouraged people to use contactless payments when possible.
China's central bank, the People's Bank of China, announced it would be cleaning thousands of bank notes, by using ultraviolet light, or high temperatures, to cut off the spread of infection through money exchanges.

Old 19-03-2020, 05:00   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Money is one of the most trafficked items on the planet. Here in P.I. I’m constantly washing my hands when out and about, traveling & buying stuff. The money here sometimes looks like it came out of a garbage can. And I’ve seen stuff in the US that wasn’t much better.

I seen some gal at a 7-11 licking her fingers as she was counting the bundle of bills. 🤮 I mentioned it but got a dirty look. Oh well!

BTW I wonder if the COVID19 can be spread by farts. If you can smell them, then why can’t you get the bacteria too?
Daughter works for Pizza company. They just went pickup and delivery only. No one inside store. Credit card only, no touching costumers , No costumers inside store. This is in coastal city in Florida.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:15   #269

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Well when you close the bars and restaurants and liquors stores whose income is primarily derived from sell beer and wine you have to find creative ways to help them financially survive the crisis and what better way then to have booze delivered when you are in lockdown. Keeps up the moral.
Nope, no sales of alcohol period in our province anyway (correction: I think its by province, not entire coutnry ).

In our case in Chiriqui/Tierras Altas, there are lots of indigenous agro workers. Normally they work in the fields 6 days a week and then get roaring drunk on Sunday...literally fighting in the street outside bars (the municipality has closed several of these bars as a result...removing a source of Sunday entertainment).

I think the concern is that we might have roaring drunk agro workers 7 days a week.
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2020, 06:16   #270

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not me.... that is a repost from CA explaining the situation in Panama.

I was flying back to Ecuador next weekend... they shut the country up as tight as a crab's bum at 40 fathoms at the begining of the week... to foreigners and Ecuadorians

Friends with a boat in Ecuador were in Peru when the door slammed shut... now stuck in a rather nice - and remote - high country lodge at $30 a night for the duration... jammy barstewards
Yeah, Ive got friends trapped in Ecuador now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply