Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 10:17   #451

re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Canada announced Wednesday it is imposing mandatory self-isolation for those returning to Canada under the Quarantine Act.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu said on Twitter that the government is making it mandatory to better protect Canada's most vulnerable.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said it will begin at midnight Wednesday and the requirement will be for 14 days.
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 10:19   #452
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... I would like to see the same calculation based on more recent data, and from multiple sources, especially Germany, who apparently are seeing a lower mortality rate...
Germany, which has the world’s fifth-highest number of Covid-19 cases, has so far experienced far fewer deaths (±0.52%*) from the disease, than other countries, partly because the outbreak started among younger people, who tend to experience milder symptoms and rarely die. In Italy, 74% of those who’ve tested positive are over 50. In Germany, 82% of cases are people under 60.
Germany has also been aggressively testing its population from the outset. Aggressive testing likely will identify persons otherwise too well to come to medical attention, thereby diluting the tested pool with a large set of infected but otherwise well people who are likely to remain so

* Germany (as of March 25, 2020, 17:07 GMT)
Coronavirus Cases: 35,740 ~ Deaths: 186 ~ Recovered: 3,540
More ➥ https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/germany/
And ➥ https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 10:24   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
To all who wrote that I was wrong that 80% of covid-19 patients that require mechanical ventilation die: I looked it up, it was 81% in Wuhan and other data even much higher (30/31 died etc.) Here is the data (there are many links when you search) https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...633-4/fulltext

Some wrote that it is about the 20% that survive. Maybe they would have survived without mechanical ventilation as well and could have avoided organ failure? I saw anecdotes that indicate that lung exercise may be a better option than a ventilator
FWIW: My previous comments about the ~futility if CPAP/BiPAP are based on the WHO treatment guidelines here (screenshot below to relevant section; NIV=CPAP/BiPAP). Consider saving the link to this document; individual doctors likely don't follow the instructions here to a "T" but the document will be updated as WHO sees fit if/when pertinent studies suggest updating is needed.

Perhaps 'lung exercise' could be related to the instructions in this paper?

I'd assume that the early super-high mortality rate from the China study was related to a combination of factors (as L.E. alluded to) but it is interesting to note that the average age was ~56 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	niv.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	211246  
Singularity is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 11:53   #454

Now it always easier if you only try to look out of your own eyes. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND! OK I am OLD and DUMB I am currently existing in Vancouver and Have pre existing medical conditions that make my life expectancy here Very very Limited I am 87 and suffer from damaged lungs and COPD. So it seems from where I am the best thing I could do is find a boat I could start a voyage to the Philippines on that would not do more than say 150 miles a day
So even Hawaii would be no less than two weeks away and the Hawaiians should welcome me as a CLEAN PERSON FROM THE OCEAN no weird BUGS viruses etc I could see old friends and then leave for Majuro Marshall islands
2,300 nm and be welcomed there. Now I find these ports are closed to my pre cleaned 18 to 20 day very lonely cleansed person. WHY Viruses do not swim or move in the ionosphere. Very strange !! It aint no cruise ship out there some days you wish you could get a twenty minute break between in- voluntary hand washing Not to mention the other parts!
To me it is a mystery Mike Pope Help me understand !!
Michael Pope is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 13:29   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
To all who wrote that I was wrong that 80% of covid-19 patients that require mechanical ventilation die: I looked it up, it was 81% in Wuhan and other data even much higher (30/31 died etc.) Here is the data (there are many links when you search) https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article...
I read a report from a doctor in the heart of the Corona area. I can't find the exact article I first read but I found a similar one. The doctor was talking about ventilators and triaging patients. The doctor said he would NOT put his 84 year old father on a ventilator. What I can't tell, is if the doctor that was quoted in both articles.

They are triaging patients patients to put on the ventilators. Those with the best chance of surviving are hooked up. Others are just put on pain meds and nature takes it's course.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 15:17   #456
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
My understanding of how Chinese society operates at present makes having a mobile phone, and a consistent mobile phone number, a high priority in China, and not something that many Chinese would haphazardly give up.

It certainly is an interesting coincidence, to say the very least.
Perhaps some are believing the rumor about new 5g towers causing a breakdown in immunity fighting the virus
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 15:45   #457
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

On lung exercise and avoiding mechanical ventilation, I recommend you watch this story from a victim aboard that cruise ship in Japan:
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply
Old 25-03-2020, 16:40   #458

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Washington State

The stay at home order for Washington State is pretty watered down because there are all these businesses deemed "essential". Pet shops, office supply companies, auto parts, auto repair, bicycle repair shops, etc. I went to the grocery store yesterday and it was quiet and well stocked except for toilet paper and we all know the Ozzies have it all.
Mariners(?), ship and vessel operators, and marina workers are also deemed essential so I guess we will have business as usual.
https://coronavirus.wa.gov/whats-ope...ntial-business
Old 26-03-2020, 03:04   #459

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Am I the only person having serious doubts about the information being fed to the public? Read an article stating entire *town* population was tested in Iceland, 75% of those testing positive had absolutely 0 symptoms.
Are they contagious?
U.S. will not allow me to be tested, will not allow me to stop working (without losing my job and insurance) and even if I want to try being tested, $120 cash up front (being told no guarantee of test pending symptoms).
Nobody wants to talk about symptoms until *AFTER* $120 is paid.
Hmm....
What am I missing? I have the top 2 preexisting conditions that basically ensure death if I *get it*, but am forced to remain exposed with no testing allowed.
Makes me wonder what the actual goals are here.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 03:25   #460

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yeah, this is really essential....... 😎

“ Workers supporting cannabis retail and dietary supplement retail.”
delmarrey is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 03:38   #461

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Am I the only person having serious doubts about the information being fed to the public? Read an article stating entire *town* population was tested in Iceland, 75% of those testing positive had absolutely 0 symptoms.
Are they contagious?
U.S. will not allow me to be tested, will not allow me to stop working (without losing my job and insurance) and even if I want to try being tested, $120 cash up front (being told no guarantee of test pending symptoms).
Nobody wants to talk about symptoms until *AFTER* $120 is paid.
Hmm....
What am I missing? I have the top 2 preexisting conditions that basically ensure death if I *get it*, but am forced to remain exposed with no testing allowed.
Makes me wonder what the actual goals are here.
I can understand your frustration. Large scale testing seems to be the way to pull contagous people out of the herd.

As far as getting yourself tested. Can't see where that is going to change your outcome at all. If you test negative, then that is just a point in time. If you test positive, then there's no treatment until you have advanced symptoms.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 03:45   #462

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I can understand your frustration. Large scale testing seems to be the way to pull contagous people out of the herd.

As far as getting yourself tested. Can't see where that is going to change your outcome at all. If you test negative, then that is just a point in time. If you test positive, then there's no treatment until you have advanced symptoms.
Stress affects health. Not knowing is stressful.
Old 26-03-2020, 03:45   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah, this is really essential....... ��

“ Workers supporting cannabis retail and dietary supplement retail.”
It is for the state. Do you how much tax revenue the state is getting from pot shops? And from liquor sales as well. Our governor now want to allow beer and wine sales with the take out food.

And this new study from Oxford perhaps sheds some light on the situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oxford-st...221100162.html
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 04:10   #464

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Stress affects health. Not knowing is stressful.
Sure, but you will still be stressed if you canot do anything about a positive or negative test.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 04:16   #465
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

An interesting, and informative article:
The coronavirus crisis is in large part a testing crisis. We are reading about tests. Arguing about tests. And, in many cases, struggling mightily to obtain tests for ourselves. But while test shortages are making headlines, there’s a lot about the technology behind these tests that isn’t as clear to the public ...
... So let’s get a little more acquainted with the tests we can’t stop talking about. At the very least, learning a little more about the tests for COVID-19 will help you understand why it’s so hard to get one when you need it ...”

“How Coronavirus Tests Actually Work”
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...=pocket-newtab

GordMay is online now   Reply