Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 04:28   #466

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

But...if most people are Positive already...kinda calls in to question just how dangerous it really is..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Sure, but you will still be stressed if you canot do anything about a positive or negative test.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 04:35   #467

Boat: Outbound 44
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
But...if most people are Positive already...kinda calls in to question just how dangerous it really is..
Not really. We already know that in the order of 80% of the people who get it will have mild to no symptoms and not require hospitalization. The point of testing is to get the carriers off the street so the ones who would get it from them and then require hospitalization don't overwhelm the health care system.
You can't look at northern Italy or New York City and think this is a minor problem.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 04:39   #468

Quote:
Not really. We already know that in the order of 80% of the people who get it will have mild to no symptoms and not require hospitalization. The point of testing is to get the carriers off the street so the ones who would get it from them and then require hospitalization don't overwhelm the health care system.
You can't look at northern Italy or New York City and think this is a minor problem.
You just contradicted yourself, if the whole point of testing is to get carriers off the street, and majority of carriers have no symptoms, only testing those showing 4+ symptoms is a contradiction.
Old 26-03-2020, 04:47   #469

Quote:
You just contradicted yourself, if the whole point of testing is to get carriers off the street, and majority of carriers have no symptoms, only testing those showing 4+ symptoms is a contradiction.
It's not my contradiction. S Korea did not do testing this way. I believe we are limiting the testing subjects because we have not stockpiled the resources to do extensive testing as other countries have. S Korea stockpiled them after the MERs scare, for example..
Old 26-03-2020, 05:06   #470

Of course you are correct, it is not your contradiction, but it is the major contradiction in the whole story. For your safety we must remove carriers and isolate them. However we cannot identify carriers if we only test those in respiratory distress... cough into your elbow, dont shake hands, just bump elbows (you just coughed into) makes sense...
Quote:
It's not my contradiction. S Korea did not do testing this way. I believe we are limiting the testing subjects because we have not stockpiled the resources to do extensive testing as other countries have. S Korea stockpiled them after the MERs scare, for example..
Old 26-03-2020, 05:30   #471
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting March 25, 2020 Videoconference

Statement of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (March 24, 2020)
Statement of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm955

Remarks to the Media by Mike Pompeo, U.S. Secretary of State (March 25, 2020)
Remarks to the Media by U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo Following G7 Foreign Ministers' Meeting
https://www.state.gov/secretary-mich...vailability-3/

See also:
Statement by UK foreign secretary Dominic Raab, March 25, 2020
Déclaration de Jean-Yves Le Drian, ministre de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères de la République française, 25 mars, 2020
Readout from Canadian Foreign Minister François-Philippe Champagne's office, March 25, 2020
Statement by Josep Borrell, European Union High Representative, March 25, 2020
Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs report on G7 foreign ministers' videoconference, March 25, 2020 [PDF in Japanese]
Linked HereRoad to the 2020 G7 U.S. Summit

Evidently, any hope of G7 foreign ministers releasing a joint statement on the fight against COVID-19 was killed, after the U.S. insisted the document refer to it as the "Wuhan virus."
Asked why including the term was so important in the global context of the pandemic, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed China for not spreading the word globally fast enough, about just how dangerous the virus is.
The Trump administration's insistence on naming it the "Chinese virus," or the "Wuhan" virus, contravenes international guidelines. The World Health Organization says viruses shouldn't be named after cities and countries. That advice is meant to avoid international finger-pointing, in a crisis, and avoid repeats of taxonomic debates, as occurred a century ago, with the so-called Spanish flu, which did not originate in Spain. The coronavirus, however, is believed to have originated near Wuhan.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pom...it-wuhan-virus
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21C2N9

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 05:34   #472

Lovely, WHO is sacrificing the truth on the altar of political correctness. Why am I not surprised?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 05:52   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Lovely, WHO is sacrificing the truth on the altar of political correctness. Why am I not surprised?
Read up on how the Spanish Flu of 1918 got its name. Why the US administration is trying to change the name of the virus now instead of trying to solve the current problems in conjunction with other countries -- kinda reminds me of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Old 26-03-2020, 06:31   #474
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Lovely, WHO is sacrificing the truth on the altar of political correctness...
I disagree with that assessment. It seems (to me) that our (western world) initial response was (in retrospect) slow, tepid, and inadequate.
However, that's just my opinion.

Here's Some Facts:

In the case of COVID-19, the World Health Organization, as well as the public, were informed on December 31, 2019, about the new disease.

On January 5, Chinese officials ruled out the possibility that this was a recurrence of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) virus, an illness that originated in China and killed more than 770 people worldwide in 2002-2003.
On January 7, officials announced they had identified a new virus, and its genetic sequence had been shared globally. The novel virus was named 2019-nCoV, and was identified as belonging to the coronavirus family, which includes SARS and the common cold.
Both of these moves were essential for an effective global response to the disease.
Importantly, all the world's countries were aware of the disease, before the first travellers brought it to their shores.
On January 13, the WHO reported a case in Thailand, the first outside of China, in a woman who had arrived from Wuhan.
On January 21, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms the first coronavirus case, in the United States ➥ https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...avel-case.html

When Wuhan began experiencing infections, in December, the various government took only illogical, inadequate actions to stop the virus’s spread:
Trhe U.S. banned foreigners from entering from China, but inconsistently monitored Americans returning from the country.

The president laughed off the virus, and the Democrats’ response, to it, calling it their “new hoax”.
The top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep. Michael McCaul, has accused China of carrying out "one of the worst cover-ups in human history", over the novel coronavirus outbreak, and inflicting a pandemic and economic calamity on the world.

A study*, pre-published in March, indicated, that if Chinese authorities had acted three weeks earlier than they did, the number of coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 95%, and its geographic spread limited.
The study estimates that, by the end of February 2020, there was a total of 114, 325 COVID-19 cases in China.

It shows that without non-pharmaceutical interventions – such as early detection, isolation of cases, travel restrictions and cordon sanitaire – the number of infected people would have been 67 times larger than that which actually occurred.
The research also found that if interventions in the country could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent and 95 percent respectively – significantly limiting the geographical spread of the disease.

However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.

The research also found that improved disease detection, isolation of cases and social distancing (for example, the cancelling of large public events, working from home and school closures), are likely to have had a far greater positive impact on containment, than travel restrictions. The authors suggest social distancing should be continued for the next few months, in China, to prevent case numbers increasing again, after the lifting of travel restrictions in late February.

“Effect of non-pharmaceutical interventions for containing the COVID-19 outbreak in China” ~ by Shengjie Lai, et al.
* ➥ https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....03.20029843v3

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 06:39   #475

As for the U.S. response, it's more important to treat the known cases than prevent the spread. Alabama officially stated they refuse unemployment for anyone who self quarantines without testing positive. And you cannot be tested if you are not showing life threatening symptoms beforehand.
Smart, I think they are not....
Old 26-03-2020, 06:44   #476

Quote:
U.S. will not allow me to be tested, will not allow me to stop working (without losing my job and insurance) and even if I want to try being tested, $120 cash up front (being told no guarantee of test pending symptoms).
Nobody wants to talk about symptoms until *AFTER* $120 is paid.
Hmm....
What am I missing? I have the top 2 preexisting conditions that basically ensure death if I *get it*, but am forced to remain exposed with no testing allowed.
It was a big f-up ( ) or an unfortunate oversight (-shrug- won't matter, get over it) depending on the tribe of who you ask about it. This essay is harsh, but describes a worst-case outcome. It's not useful to dwell too much about initial missteps from any country right now, while we're in the thick of it, but if I was an American, I'd want a Nuremburg-sized inquiry afterwards into how the ball was dropped, who dropped it, and what to do to be ready for the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time 025
Let's rephrase that a little: who has killed a joint communique from the G7 for the sake of a cheap political jab and some pre-election point-scoring?

Quote:
The Trump administration's insistence on naming it the "Chinese virus," or the "Wuhan" virus, contravenes international guidelines. The World Health Organization says viruses shouldn't be named after cities and countries.

That advice is meant to avoid international finger-pointing in a crisis, and avoid repeats of taxonomic debates as occurred a century ago with the so-called Spanish flu, which did not originate in Spain. The coronavirus, however, is believed to have originated near Wuhan.
EVERYONE knows where it came from. It helps no-one except one person's re-election campaign to be shouting it in every reference.

Embarassing. But not out of character.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 07:02   #477

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

A big THANK YOU Lake-Effect, that had to be stated plainly, if we are to move forward as a society. If people take umbrage, I feel sorry for them and wish them God's mercy.

Stay safe
Old 26-03-2020, 07:39   #478

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Probably haven't read every post but it seems like the thread was quite informative and relatively clean of partisanship . . . until now. (as opposed to others which have been closed).

But now that the usual suspects have gotten their digs in, and others have predictably responded with either scorn or applause, maybe we can get back to the current and ongoing public health challenges that the thread had been doing quite well with . . . until now.

Sound reasonable?
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 26-03-2020, 08:39   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It was a big f-up ( ) or an unfortunate oversight (-shrug- won't matter, get over it) depending on the tribe of who you ask about it. This essay is harsh, but describes a worst-case outcome. It's not useful to dwell too much about initial missteps from any country right now, while we're in the thick of it, but if I was an American, I'd want a Nuremburg-sized inquiry afterwards into how the ball was dropped, who dropped it, and what to do to be ready for the next one.

Let's rephrase that a little: who has killed a joint communique from the G7 for the sake of a cheap political jab and some pre-election point-scoring?

EVERYONE knows where it came from. It helps no-one except one person's re-election campaign to be shouting it in every reference.

Embarassing. But not out of character.
Not sure why I was quoted, but I believe you are missing my point. There is no shutdown, business as usual except bars, restaurants, and beaches. We are not allowed to self quarantine unless we voluntarily quit our jobs/benefits. Governor on TV stating the state will not shut down. Mayer stating the same for city. Only testing allowed is for those already showing life threatening symptoms. Asymptomatic and partial symptoms are completely ignored. You can have EVERY symptom except fever and you are ignored in the testing. Those out of work treat this like vacation and most are still working daily. It's like a bad joke
Old 26-03-2020, 08:39   #480

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Probably haven't read every post but it seems like the thread was quite informative and relatively clean of partisanship . . . until now. (as opposed to others which have been closed).

But now that the usual suspects have gotten their digs in, and others have predictably responded with either scorn or applause, maybe we can get back to the current and ongoing public health challenges that the thread had been doing quite well with . . . until now.

Sound reasonable?
Reasonable and desirable.

I want to know what to do tomorrow, I’ll leave the blame game to the historians.
hpeer is offline   Reply