Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 19:05   #1216

Boat: Westerly Sealord
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
This isn't 'from Australia'. It's from Rupert Murdoch, via his henchmen.

Rupert is an American citizen, by the way.
Murdoch, Jones, and Credlin..... struth ... what an evil combo ....
Old 21-04-2020, 19:13   #1217

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
This isn't 'from Australia'. It's from Rupert Murdoch, via his henchmen.

Rupert is an American citizen, by the way.
Rupert Murdoch may be an American citizen but he is an Australian. He's also quite conservative (owner of Fox news). Fox is an Australian based network.

What happens when his sons take over is up to speculation. Meanwhile, his conservative views will taint his opinions.
Old 21-04-2020, 19:17   #1218

Meanwhile Argentina and Chile - fearing that the US may seize their cargoes of ventilators and PPE -continue to route aircraft flying to Shanghai through Auckland...

Second Argentine flight passed through Auckland in the small hours of this morning.

According to the Bat Times....
https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/arge...supplies.phtml

And news re flights operated by Latin America's largest carrier...

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...s-in-may.phtml
Old 21-04-2020, 19:30   #1219
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Murdoch, Jones, and Credlin..... struth ... what an evil combo ....

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Rupert Murdoch may be an American citizen but he is an Australian. He's also quite conservative (owner of Fox news). Fox is an Australian based network.

What happens when his sons take over is up to speculation. Meanwhile, his conservative views will taint his opinions.

Nah, he's not Australian. He rescinded his citizenship to become American. America is welcome to him!
tp12 is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2020, 19:55   #1220

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I’ll probably be checking out before this all comes to a head. Good luck with your future.

Apparently, once a war starts, it never finishes.
delmarrey is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2020, 19:57   #1221

Fox News = Fox Corporation... not very Australian at all...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Corporation

We don't want Rupert back.....
Old 22-04-2020, 00:01   #1222
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Coronavirus: Vaccines 'are long shots', warns UK's chief scientific adviser

Emily Cleary
Yahoo News UK April 20, 2020

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...084640389.html

I've been cautioning everyone that I know that the development of a safe and effective vaccine is a challenge and very much an uncertainty and that if could be a long, long time before such is accomplished. Been seeing a lot of what I consider optimism in this regard that just isn't warranted based on past development history.

[...]
Good. I'm glad they plan to take their time testing vaccines.

There is a real danger of a "half baked" vaccine being foisted on the public as a consequence of political pressure.

When the researchers say "safe vaccine," they mean one that won't kill you when you are later exposed. The vaccines that were tested before could make you sicker if you were later infected with the virus: Immunization with SARS coronavirus vaccines leads to pulmonary immunopathology on challenge with the SARS virus.

Because of the nature of corona viruses, don't bet the farm on our ever having a vaccine. Our best bet is effective anti-viral treatments.
Waveguide is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 00:22   #1223
cruiser

Lest we forget: there was an outbreak of a SARS corona virus in 2004. Here was the cause: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC403836/.

That time, it got stomped out in a hurry. Maybe sometimes, fate barks once before it bites.

Regardless of how the COVID virus emerged, Lab Nerds shouldn't be allowed to play with deadly viruses. We don't yet know how to do that with total safety. The picture that comes to my mind is one of handing a chimpanzee a loaded revolver. Nothing good is going to come of that.
Waveguide is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 01:34   #1224

Boat: Tayana 47

There’s been a lot of emphasis on various areas having reached the peak of new cases, and that’s certainly better than the curve continuing to get steeper. But the curve has only flattened due to all our social distancing and when social distancing fatigue sets in or large numbers of people start going back to work, why won’t the curve tend to once again curve upward, but more steeply than it did initially because there are many more infected people than back in February?

I’m not advocating for or against reopening economies on any particular timeline and I suspect that when this is all over the death rate will be lower than some have predicted, but until there’s an effective treatment or vaccine, I don’t understand how the risk of catching it will be any lower than it has been for anyone who stops social distancing.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 02:01   #1225

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

That's really interesting

German state media: known to be serious and unbiased as CNN, BBC and WaPo [emoji12]

https://www.tagesschau.de/investigat...rbeit-101.html

It is in German, use Google translate...
Old 22-04-2020, 02:36   #1226
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I can see ya all’s kissing up to China’s ass. I’ll probably be checking out before this all comes to a head. Good luck with your future.

Apparently, once a war starts, it never finishes.

Only because it's too profitable
UFO is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 02:38   #1227

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Boston homeless shelter , 137 positive tests 100 percent of these positive tests showed no symptoms

100 percent ! Incredible

Many things that we don’t know about this virus

Very dangerous to cheat on social distancing and personal protective gear
Well. That certainly boosts my 'theory' that the fatality rate is directly proportional to vitamin D deficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
https://apple.news/AQMpfmkEvQ-KJr6AC6GAu8Q

...73% of inmates at one Ohio prison test positive for novel corona virus infection. These are reported as confirmed cases, most with no symptoms and zero deaths so far reported in the prison. The test results added about 20% to the states total case load.

This was apparently a well controlled test where 100% of the population and the staff were tested. Many of the staff were also found to have been infected.

Those attempting to “debunk” the higher than reported infection rate have a new data point to consider. This virus seems to be very highly transmissible but with a much lower infection fatality rate (IFR) than originally thought. A few weeks ago most experts thought that IFR was close to 1%. But that appears to be incorrect in the few datasets seen so far. I predict there will be more studies to better understand the fatality rate. It is the presumed IFR that frightened the experts and caused us to shelter in place...
And this boosts my 'theory' that those who live sheltered lives are more at risk for negative responses to infection.

We'll let y'all decide how serious, or not, I'm being...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 03:35   #1228

Just a note about testing, it is based on testing for antibodies that are generated by the immune system when fighting a desease. There is still a lot of discussion about the effectiveness of the many different tests, also it appears that it may not be possible to differentiate between antibodues ti the Covid strain and the many other corinaviruses that have been circulating for the past two decades
MrChris is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 04:06   #1229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

COVID-19: Life and death moments in an ICU
Markham Stouffville Hospital, just northeast of Toronto, hopes a look inside its ICU will give pause to those urging end to social distancing.
Over three days, they shared hours of video from inside the hospital and opened up about the emotional toll it's taking as they're not only saving lives, but also filling in for family members who aren't allowed to visit even when a loved one is dying. (6:27 min. video)
https://www.msh.on.ca/

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 22-04-2020, 04:39   #1230

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

In the USA, to date 4/22, 1/4th of 1% has caught the virus. (.0025)

And of those in the USA with the virus 5.5% have died.

In Canada 1% has caught the virus.

And of those 4.9 has died.

In Australia .025% (.00025) has caught the virus.

And of those 1% has died.

🤷