Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 11:34   #1441

Re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

A two-week quarantine period for anyone arriving in the UK will be enforced from Monday, June 8th.

What are the new quarantine rules?
Passengers arriving in the UK by plane, ferry or train - including UK nationals - will be asked to provide an address where they will self-isolate for 14 days. Travellers can be fined £100 for failing to fill in a form with these details.

Surprise visits will be used to check they are following the rules. Those in England could be fined up to £1,000 if they fail to self-isolate.

Passengers should drive their own car to their destination, where possible. If they don't provide an address, the government will arrange accommodation at the traveller's expense.

Once at their destination they must not use public transport or taxis. They must not go to work, school, or public areas, or have visitors except for essential support.

They are also not allowed to go out to buy food, or other essentials, where they can rely on others.

Employers should agree future working arrangements with staff before they travel overseas.

Employees who can't work from home are eligible for statutory sick pay if they meet the required conditions.

Is anywhere exempt from quarantine?
Anyone arriving from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man does not have to enter quarantine.

The government has also said it is looking into ''international travel corridors'' between the UK and countries with low infection rates and strong healthcare systems. It hopes this could avoid the need for quarantine for travellers between the two.
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2020, 14:02   #1442

Boat: Westerly Sealord
French Polynesia

French Polynesia is opening up again from the start of July .....

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...sm-in-mid-july

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...ervice-in-july

I know where I would like my boat to be just now....
Old 11-06-2020, 13:48   #1443

Re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

The European Union should gradually reopen its borders to non-EU travellers from July and draw up a list of countries outside the bloc for which restrictions can be removed, the European Commission said on Thursday.
The EU executive said the list of countries with access should be based on three criteria: countries should have COVID-19 under at least as much control as the EU average, have containment measures during travel and also be willing to let in EU visitors.
EU Home Affairs Commissioner Ylva Johansson said decisions on borders were for individual countries to take but she hoped the Commission could help ensure a coordinated approach, something she believed member states themselves also wanted.
The Commission proposed allowing entry from the outset for travellers from the western Balkans countries of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia.
Johansson declined to name any other country.
"This has to be done step by step. So I think this list will grow, maybe not from day to day but at least maybe from week to week," she told a video news conference.

Under the Commission proposal, travellers would be allowed in based on their place of residence, not nationality, and they would not have to go into quarantine on arrival.
It also recommended on Thursday that the countries of the Schengen area, which normally have no border checks, lift controls put in place to the control the spread of the coronavirus by June 15.
However, some countries such as Portugal and Spain have indicated they will not do so by Monday.
The EU executive also proposed that a ban on non-essential visitors from outside the area be extended until June 30.
The Schengen area comprises 22 EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. EU members Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania, which are not yet part of Schengen, have also applied the ban on entry from outside the zone.
The travel ban has not applied to Ireland, which is not part of the Schengen area, and former EU member Britain.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-draw-s...131250453.html
Old 11-06-2020, 13:57   #1444

Boat: Costco boogie board
Re: French Polynesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
French Polynesia is opening up again from the start of July .....

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...sm-in-mid-july

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...ervice-in-july

I know where I would like my boat to be just now....
Well our Governor just extended our 14 day quarantine to the end of July. So if you sail to Hawaii, you get to spend 14 days of not getting off of your boat. After that, it's great. There's hardly anyone here.

No traffic. Bright thin layers of new coral on all of the old dead coral heads. Spoiler - it's the sunblock and oils and detergents in the clothing, possibly ammonia in the pee that kill them.

Went snorkeling yesterday and could not believe the colors in former dead zones. Gorgeous. All over Hawaii, nature is making a comeback.

In other news, our economy will be devastated when the fun money runs out and 50% of the businesses have shut down for good by August.

You win some you loose some.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui

"I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" - Darth Vader
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply
Old 11-06-2020, 14:37   #1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Well our Governor just extended our 14 day quarantine to the end of July. So if you sail to Hawaii, you get to spend 14 days of not getting off of your boat. After that, it's great. There's hardly anyone here.

No traffic. Bright thin layers of new coral on all of the old dead coral heads. Spoiler - it's the sunblock and oils and detergents in the clothing, possibly ammonia in the pee that kill them.

Went snorkeling yesterday and could not believe the colors in former dead zones. Gorgeous. All over Hawaii, nature is making a comeback.

In other news, our economy will be devastated when the fun money runs out and 50% of the businesses have shut down for good by August.

You win some you loose some.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui

"I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" - Darth Vader
Glad to hear the renewing of the coral, definitely shows the adversity of human pollution.

FYI:

From NOAA:
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/s...en-corals.html

Effects of the Sunscreen UV Filter, Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)

In a 2016 study, a team of international scientists found that a common chemical in many sunscreen lotions and cosmetics is highly toxic to juvenile corals and other marine life. Oxybenzone, or BP-3, is found in more than 3,500 skin care products worldwide for protection against the sun's harmful effects. The compound has been found entering the environment both through wastewater effluent and directly from swimmers wearing sunscreens.

The study, published in the journal Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, showed four major toxic effects in early, developing coral: increased susceptibility to bleaching; DNA damage (genotoxicity); abnormal skeleton growth (via endocrine disruption); and gross deformities of baby coral.

The authors of the study conclude that nontoxic oxybenzone alternatives are critical for protecting reefs and the exacerbating effects posed by climate change and bleaching.

Effects of the Skincare UV filter, Benzophenone-2

In a 2013 study, NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science researchers and their partners discovered that a sunscreen chemical commonly used in many soaps, cosmetics, and body fragrances is highly toxic to corals. The team's data show that even very low concentrations of benzophenone-2, or BP-2, can quickly kill juvenile corals. BP-2 is an additive used in personal-care products since the 1960s to protect against the damaging effects of ultraviolet light.

The team also found that BP-2 causes colorful corals to bleach, and can potentially induce or increase the frequency of mutation in corals by causing damage to their DNA. BP-2 is not removed from most municipal wastewater treatment facilities. This discharge is often directly released in coastal waters of the Caribbean and the Indo-Pacific, threatening near-shore coral reefs.

Although pollution is a major cause of coral reef degradation and is the easiest factor to mitigate, BP-2 as a pollutant has largely been ignored, according to C.A. Downs, lead author of the study.

"In the case of BP-2 pollution, there are a range of options that can be considered for reducing its impact to reefs—from working with manufacturers and innovating more environmentally sustainable products to educating consumers regarding product selection and product disposal," he said.

The study was published in the December 2013 issue of Ecotoxicology.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunscreen.PNG
Views:	92
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	217153  
Old 11-06-2020, 14:57   #1446

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Glad to hear the renewing of the coral, definitely shows the adversity of human pollution.

FYI:

From NOAA:
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/s...en-corals.html

Effects of the Sunscreen UV Filter, Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3)

In a 2016 study, a team of international scientists found that a common chemical in many sunscreen lotions and cosmetics is highly toxic to juvenile corals and other marine life. Oxybenzone, or BP-3, is found in more than 3,500 skin care products worldwide for protection against the sun's harmful effects. The compound has been found entering the environment both through wastewater effluent and directly from swimmers wearing sunscreens.

The study, published in the journal Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, showed four major toxic effects in early, developing coral: increased susceptibility to bleaching; DNA damage (genotoxicity); abnormal skeleton growth (via endocrine disruption); and gross deformities of baby coral.

The authors of the study conclude that nontoxic oxybenzone alternatives are critical for protecting reefs and the exacerbating effects posed by climate change and bleaching.

Effects of the Skincare UV filter, Benzophenone-2

In a 2013 study, NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science researchers and their partners discovered that a sunscreen chemical commonly used in many soaps, cosmetics, and body fragrances is highly toxic to corals. The team's data show that even very low concentrations of benzophenone-2, or BP-2, can quickly kill juvenile corals. BP-2 is an additive used in personal-care products since the 1960s to protect against the damaging effects of ultraviolet light.

The team also found that BP-2 causes colorful corals to bleach, and can potentially induce or increase the frequency of mutation in corals by causing damage to their DNA. BP-2 is not removed from most municipal wastewater treatment facilities. This discharge is often directly released in coastal waters of the Caribbean and the Indo-Pacific, threatening near-shore coral reefs.

Although pollution is a major cause of coral reef degradation and is the easiest factor to mitigate, BP-2 as a pollutant has largely been ignored, according to C.A. Downs, lead author of the study.

"In the case of BP-2 pollution, there are a range of options that can be considered for reducing its impact to reefs—from working with manufacturers and innovating more environmentally sustainable products to educating consumers regarding product selection and product disposal," he said.

The study was published in the December 2013 issue of Ecotoxicology.

Yes that stuff is BAD and it's not outlawed here. All of the spray sunblocks have it. Tourists just spray like crazy, right next to you, gag, and then jump right into the water. It's an oil slick. It's not just those couple of chemicals, it's the soup of crap humans put on their bodies (makeup, hairspray, perfume, deodorant, gels, lotions, etc.) and the detergents in their clothing, modes of travel, etc.

Coral is extremely sensitive as proven by it's rapid resilience once the oblivious murderers are removed from the equation. I'd love to believe it was JUST those couple of chemicals, then the solution would be simple and easy. It's not.

Hell for all we know it's spent jet fuel exhausts floating down or rental car emissions. So many toxins have been removed from the scene. Maybe it's a combination of all of it. Guess what it isn't......GLOBAL WARMING.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui

I am altering the deal. Pray, I don’t alter it any further - Darth Vader
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2020, 13:39   #1447

Spain will open its borders to members of the EU’s Schengen Zone and the UK on June 21. The border was originally due to remain closed until July 1.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced the decision today during a conference call with regional leaders, as reported by Spanish newspaper El Pais.

The Portuguese border will remain shut until July 1 on the request of Portuguese PM Antonio Costa.

Travellers from other, non-Schengen countries will be allowed into the country without the need to self-quarantine from July 1 onwards, if there is a reciprocal agreement on travel.

After recording its first cases of Covid-19, Spain introduced one if Europe’s strictest lockdowns. Borders were closed on March 14 and a ‘state of alarm’ has restricted Spanish citizens from moving freely throughout the country – something that will also end on June 21.

Unlike the rest of Spain, the Balearics will welcome visitors as of tomorrow as part of a pilot reopening plan.
Old 14-06-2020, 17:30   #1448

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Spain will open its borders to members of the EU’s Schengen Zone and the UK on June 21. The border was originally due to remain closed until July 1.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced the decision today during a conference call with regional leaders, as reported by Spanish newspaper El Pais.

The Portuguese border will remain shut until July 1 on the request of Portuguese PM Antonio Costa.

Travellers from other, non-Schengen countries will be allowed into the country without the need to self-quarantine from July 1 onwards, if there is a reciprocal agreement on travel.

After recording its first cases of Covid-19, Spain introduced one if Europe’s strictest lockdowns. Borders were closed on March 14 and a ‘state of alarm’ has restricted Spanish citizens from moving freely throughout the country – something that will also end on June 21.

Unlike the rest of Spain, the Balearics will welcome visitors as of tomorrow as part of a pilot reopening plan.
I'm sure this is simple, but I haven't been able to "Google" myself an answer: If I'm a US passport holder, but I've been in the UK for the past 5 months, am I allowed in to Spain on June 21st? The wording of these statements has me worried that my passport/residency is the determining factor not where I've just departed.

Matt
Old 15-06-2020, 07:35   #1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'm sure this is simple, but I haven't been able to "Google" myself an answer: If I'm a US passport holder, but I've been in the UK for the past 5 months, am I allowed in to Spain on June 21st? The wording of these statements has me worried that my passport/residency is the determining factor not where I've just departed.

Matt
Matt:

It appears that for the EU / Schengen countries travel under Covid-19 restrictions will be allowed based on residency not nationality, and Spain is adding in allowances for those countries that have reciprocal agreements as to travel.

You state you have "been in the UK for the past 5 months". Do you have residency in the UK, or are you "in the UK" under some sort of an extended visa/residency permit? If under an extended visa, is it nearing its termination date which would make Schengen travel difficult. A further issue is that the UK is Brexiting and has imposed the 14 day self-isolation upon entry which mucks up travel and results in adversity intercountry relationships, e.g., France imposed a tit for tat 14 day quarantine for arrivers from the UK.

Under ordinary Schengen rules a USA passport holder is allowed to be in the countries for no more than 90 days in any 180 day period. Your five months indicates that perhaps either you have either overstayed your visitation, or you have an extended visa or residency permit for the UK. It could be that you need to depart the UK and an overstay can make reentry in the future problematic and / or subject to penalties upon exit.

Reference as to Schengen travel which has been turned topsy turvy do to establishment of internal border controls and country specific differences as to allowance of external travellers:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/spa...l%20to%20Spain.

"Who needs a visa to travel to Spain from the UK?
Although UK citizens who hold either a full UK passport or a BOTC, BOC, BPP or BS passport can travel freely to Spain, UK residents of many specific nationalities are required to get a Spanish Schengen visa to travel to Spain; nationals of the USA do not ordinarily require a visa to enter Spain from the UK.

Reference Schengen visa types:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/

I suggest you call the Spanish immigration / border control agency to find out if you are eligible to enter and under what form and procedure of visa such entry would be permitted and for how long a visa will be granted.

And then if it is your intention to return to the UK from Spain, you need to ascertain under what visa program your reentry would be allowed and any quarantine provisions upon reentry to the UK

Fundamentally it is not a great time to be traveling anywhere. And rules can change very rapidly. There being no new normal established while the virus is running its game. Like all travel these day, consider if the travel is truly essential in nature.
Old 15-06-2020, 08:05   #1450

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

News for Greece, odd. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200615-165541.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	217390
Old 15-06-2020, 08:46   #1451

Yikes. I thought that zinc oxide and titanium oxide were inert sunblockers. Does anyone know of a genuinely coral-friendly sunblock?

When we snorkelled in the Caribbean last year, I was always in a long-sleeved sailing shirt, but there may still have been residual amounts of sunscreen on my face, arms, legs, from applications earlier in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Guess what it isn't......GLOBAL WARMING
Same root cause, though: human activity. Like with the snorkellers and coral recovery, many places have had much better air during the lockdowns due to less auto traffic. This unplanned reduction of air pollution has had immediate effect.

We live near some nice urban parks, and use of the parks (most of it respecting social distancing) is way up. Bikes, walkers and joggers, birdwatchers, family picnics... I heard a news report that bike shops can't keep up with demand and that there are waiting lists.

Hopefully some of these new habits will stick, and we won't immediately return to the same level of auto use. We can still have strong economies without burning every last gob of dead dinosaurs as quickly as possible. /derail
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 15-06-2020, 09:45   #1452

Americans sailing north to Alaska causing waves of worry around Vancouver Island.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ncouver-island

Marinetraffic shows US pleasure craft in the Gulf Islands. One is in Montague Harbour.

There are also US fishing boats making a passage. That is not a problem.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 15-06-2020, 14:14   #1453

A group of 21 travelers arrested on suspicion of violating Hawaii's coronavirus quarantine order have agreed to leave the state because of threats from residents, a member of the group said Monday.

Kendra Carter said some of the harassment involved death threats.

“People started rolling up to our house calling us all types of names. Telling us to starve and a whole bunch of stuff. We’ve been getting death threats in our inboxes,” Carter said. “People telling us to get the (expletive) off the island.”

the group didn’t realize that Hawaii’s mandatory 14-day quarantine on all people arriving tn the state would be strictly enforced.

Court documents say members of the group were seen at a beach park on June 8. A video posted on YouTube showed their leader, Eligio Bishop, petting a sea turtle, police said in the documents.

Bishop's attorney, Evans Smith, couldn't immediately be reached for comment Monday.

Members of the group, known as Carbon Nation, which Carter described as a nature-loving family, were so excited to experience Hawaii that they they decided to stop at the beach before going to their Big Island rental home, she said.

The quarantine doesn't allow travelers to leave a residence or hotel room for any reason except medical emergencies.

“We apologized for it and we’re still apologizing for it,” Carter said.

Bishop's court file includes a copy of an “Order for Self-Quarantine” that arriving travelers receive at the airport. It shows what appear to be his initials and signature verifying that he would abide by the quarantine, including going straight to the residence from the airport.

The quarantine has helped Hawaii maintain relatively low infection rates compared to other parts of the U.S. As of Sunday, a total 728 people have tested positive since the outbreak began. There have been 17 deaths.

Even after their arrests, the group had planned to remain in Hawaii, Carter said. But the threats led to their decision to leave, she said.
Jessica Lani Rich, president of Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii, which provides help to tourists, said Monday her organization had been prepared Friday to get them flights out of Hawaii, but they wanted to stay. She said she's ready to resume the effort if that's what they want.
Old 15-06-2020, 15:47   #1454

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post

Matt
https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-in...2C%20and%20sea.

(UPDATED June 11, 2020)
Country-Specific Information:
Spain’s nationwide State of Alarm will remain in effect until June 21. The Spanish government is gradually relaxing confinement measures in phases over the next several weeks. Confinement measures will vary from region to region within Spain. U.S. citizens should monitor Spanish government social media and local press reports for more information. Remember to follow the instructions of local authorities; not doing so could result in fines or arrest.

Entry and Exit Requirements:

Spain: Transportation options and border restrictions continue to change throughout Europe. U.S. citizens are allowed to depart the European Schengen area, including Spain. However, only citizens or legal residents of the European Schengen zone are allowed to enter the European Schengen zone. Spain’s air, land and sea borders remain closed for entry with limited exceptions. This includes the land borders with Portugal, France, and Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla) and the sea borders in the Canary and Balearic Islands, as well as the sea ports in mainland Spain, with limited exceptions. Only Spanish citizens or citizens/legal residents of EU or Schengen countries may enter Spain. U.S. citizens without Spanish/EU/Schengen citizenship/residency likely will be barred from entering or transiting Spain by air, land, and sea.

United States: U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents will be permitted to return to the United States from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the European Schengen area, which includes Spain. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued instructions requiring U.S. passengers who have been in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the Schengen area to travel through select airports where the U.S. government has implemented enhanced screening procedures. See the DHS website for further details. The Proclamation Suspending Entry of Immigrants Who Present Risk to the U.S. Labor Market issued April 22, 2020, does not apply to U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents, who may return to the United States.

Quarantine Information:

United States: According to the CDC, travelers returning from the specified countries in Europe must stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing. For more information, see the DHS and CDC websites.

Spain: Effective May 15 through June 30, passengers arriving in Spain from other countries will be required to self-isolate at their home/place of accommodation for the 14 days immediately following their arrival. During this mandatory period following your arrival in Spain, you will only be allowed to leave your home/accommodation to shop for food, medications, or other basic necessities, to seek medical assistance, or in other very limited emergency circumstances. More information is available here (in Spanish).
Old 16-06-2020, 15:59   #1455

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Tuesday that the Canada-U.S. border closure on non-essential travel will remain in place until July 21.

The previous agreement was set to expire on Sunday.