Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 04:27   #166
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Corona virus in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe you have a reason not to trust.

But I do not have a reason not to trust China.

I think their data is as reliable as data from any other country. In fact, batter than data from many European countries.

Definitely, way more trustworthy data comes from China than from Italy. Just look up Chinese Universities in the top 100 world universities vs, Italian ones. Or do not waste your time and trust me there are a handful of Chinese ones there, and NOT A SINGLE Italian one.

China is making iPhones, China is sending satellites and sending people to the orbit. Italy is not.

Makes plenty of sense (to me) that Chinese data is better than Italian data.

I bet no country knows the exact infection rates, all we know are the confirmed (tested or by symptoms) cases.

And as it stands, Italian death rates by far exceed China death rates. Makes plenty of sense given how little and how late Italy did.

China is order. Italy is chaos. In times of pest, order wins.

b.

Coming from someone who has obviously not been to China or had any business dealings with China.

Italy historically has a large old age population and suffers from fatalities in this age group from the Flu annually

Lets stop the spread of all this fear and paranoia - Its NOT helpful.
Old 16-03-2020, 05:10   #167

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
A wiser choice than Fox News[emoji2]
+1 from my side
Old 16-03-2020, 05:12   #168

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Lets stop the spread of all this fear and paranoia - Its NOT helpful.[/QUOTE]

Another +1
Old 16-03-2020, 08:08   #169

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Life as we know it is over. They have closed the bars on St Paddy's day.
Old 16-03-2020, 12:29   #170

Italian daily coronavirus deaths jump 19% to 2,158

ReutersMarch 16, 2020, 11:08 AM MDT

ROME, March 16 (Reuters) - The death toll from an outbreak of coronavirus in Italy has risen in the last 24 hours by 349 to 2,158, an increase of 19.3%, the Civil Protection Agency said on Monday.

The total number of cases in Italy, the European country hardest hit by the virus, rose to 27,980 from a previous 24,747, up 13%, the slowest rate of increase since the contagion first came to light on Feb. 21.

However, the head of the agency said they were still awaiting data from the southern region of Puglia and the northern province of Trento.

Of those originally infected, 2,749 had fully recovered compared to 2,335 the day before. Some 1,851 people were in intensive care against a previous 1,672.
Old 16-03-2020, 13:47   #171

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Closed all the bars, restaurants and recreational facilities in Washington State. This went in effect at noon today so I was in the bar having my last few beers this morning. This shouldn't affect the worlds economy because only Boeing, Microsoft and Amazon are based here.

And Canada just closed the borders.
Old 16-03-2020, 14:27   #172

March 15,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	italycovid.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	210699  
Old 27-07-2020, 12:48   #173

Boat: Beneteau First 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A maritime marking color for disease / contagion is the present flag used for the purpose is the "Lima" (L) flag, which is a mixture of yellow and black flags previously used. It is sometimes called the "yellow jack", which became a name for yellow fever. It means the vessel is under quarantine.
That just isn’t true. Lima means ‘stop your vessel immediately’. Look it up in the International code of signals . https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/ICOS
Old 27-07-2020, 13:07   #174

Boat: Currently boatless

Correct. The quarantine flag to be flown on arriving in a new port is solid yellow Quebec or Q flag.
Old 27-07-2020, 15:15   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
Correct. The quarantine flag to be flown on arriving in a new port is solid yellow Quebec or Q flag.
The Quebec signal is used to only request free pratique, whereas laying at quarantine requires the use of the Lima flag. Quarantine used to be 40 days, with Covid-19 the standard is 14 days.

For example: Reference to specific ordinances in Alaska and Maryland.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/ufaqs/wha...can-i-get-one/

https://cmta.wildapricot.org/resourc...ice-harbor.pdf

Bristol Bay notice: See flags denoted below.

https://www.bbrsda.com/covid19

The plain yellow flag ("Quebec" or Q in international maritime signal flags), perhaps derives its letter symbol for its initial use in quarantine, but this flag in modern times indicates the opposite—a ship that declares itself free of quarantinable disease, and requests boarding and inspection by Port State Control to allow the grant of "free pratique". Pratique is the license given to a ship to enter port on assurance from the captain to convince the authorities that she is free from contagious disease. The clearance granted is commonly referred to as free pratique. A ship can signal a request for pratique by flying a solid yellow square-shaped flag. This yellow flag is the Q flag in the set of international maritime signal flags.

There is no request for clearance, or inspection during the period of mandated quarantine. The vessel remains in isolation, no free pratique is requested nor granted until after quarantine is fulfilled and then the ship has remained disease free can request free pratique and fly the Q flag to signal such. Then only after successfully fulfilling quarantine, the port authority may provide inspection and clearance proceedings.

Since flying the Q flag involves a request for boarding by Port State Control, it has also become an invitation to Customs to inspect a vessel for dutiable goods or contraband
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lima Flag maryland order.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	220134   Click image for larger version

Name:	bristol lima.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	220137  

Name:	bristol q.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	220138  
Old 27-07-2020, 15:22   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant View Post
That just isn’t true. Lima means ‘stop your vessel immediately’. Look it up in the International code of signals . https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/ICOS
You are partially correct and partially incorrect.

That meaning 'stop your vessel immediately" applies only when the vessel is underway and is being signaled to stop.

That is not the meaning when the boat is lying at anchor or moored under quarantine and the moored vessel is itself signaling with the Lima signal flag as then it is signaling it is under quarantine.
Old 27-07-2020, 15:57   #177

Further note:

If one is requesting free pratique one flies just a single Q flag; whereas if one Requires Health Clearance, one flies two Q flags which vessel indicates: "I require health clearance."

If a vessel requires medical assistance it signals such with the W flag, Whiskey.
Old 27-07-2020, 17:32   #178

Boat: Beneteau First 435

The current international code of signals does not use Lima for any sense of quarantine, nor does it differentiate between its use at anchor or under way.

Local ordinances may indeed require flying the Lima flag - they could require/request any flag be flown.

Since this thread was about Italy, I didn’t think requirements in Alaska or Maine were especially relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Further note:

If one is requesting free pratique one flies just a single Q flag; whereas if one Requires Health Clearance, one flies two Q flags which vessel indicates: "I require health clearance."

If a vessel requires medical assistance it signals such with the W flag, Whiskey.
Old 27-07-2020, 23:14   #179

Boat: Ericson 38 200

Good morning to you all, in Italy any pleasure boat (private) leaves the port where moored, upon arrival at the new port must hoist the yellow flag, fill out the crew form, declare that no one has contracted viruses and that everyone is in good health.
Old 12-11-2020, 00:58   #180
cruiser

It looks like things will get worse before they get better. I have a holiday booked in January and also end of February and the latter is more likely, if at all, to be able to travel but because of our govt travel restrictions would have to ask for unpaid leave so two problems to circumnavigate. I have all travel documents arranged and translated through https://isaccurate.com/italian-translation-services I have an apartment there (completed days before our govt put quarantine restrictions - how's that for timing) but it's a second home so no right to travel of course. Also have a holiday last weekend of February which is more likely but who knows what the situation will be then.

Tags
Italy