Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 14:58   #121

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Covid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While perhaps not indicative of everywhere but here, Covid patients currently occupy only 5% of hospital beds and less than 4% of ICU beds. Not a big workload.

Hopefully, it subsides from that.
Yeah. Let’s hope this variant is as mild as some of the rumors say it is. Because everybody is getting it. I know a lot of people and they’re all dropping. Everybody is sick right now. Not necessarily with Covid, but lots and lots of people are sick right now. It’s exploding in Miami Dade and Broward.
Old 27-12-2021, 14:58   #122

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

US statistics

Cases
52.2M

Deaths

https://www.google.com/search?q=tota...hrome&ie=UTF-8

From
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/

More Than 9 Billion Shots Given: Covid-19 Tracker

In the U.S., 500 million doses have been given so far. An average 1.13 million doses per day were administered over the last week.

getting there
Old 27-12-2021, 15:01   #123

Boat: Sabre 28

Why didn't you post this one instead? Doesn't really natter they are both a month old and pre Omigodnotmore variant.

Edit: The graph from Mass. that showed 12,000 daily cases of the vaccinated was too big to post. Oh the irony.

Old 27-12-2021, 15:23   #124

Free2Sail said: "OK, so you're saying the BC gov does impose all these Covid restrictions, but since they are commonly disregarded and poorly enforced, you're all free to do as you like?"

Of course we Canadians are free to do as we like. And so are you. I think the essential difference between thee and me is that when I "break the rules", I expect to be held to account for it, and I live my life accordingly. You, on the other hand, appear on the basis of what you've said in this thread, to believe that there should be no consequences befalling you if you break rules you are perfectly familiar with, rules your fellow man would like you to observe. The corollary is, of course, that if someone is injured by your breach of the rules, that is perfectly alright because you were, after all, merely exercising your individual liberty as defined by sundry documents now more than 200 years out of date!

God grant that the level of education in the United States may improve to the point where all Americans can understand their own foundation documents :-)

None of us can escape our cultural inheritance. And therein you will find the reason that Canadian's, by and large, see the world and our obligations in it in a light quite, quite different from the one that appears to shine so brightly in your world.

You will also find in the cultural differences underlying the coming into being of our respective nations the reason that Canadian history consists in very large part of 350 years of resisting and evading cultural artifacts that wash so relentlessly against our southern border day in and day out :-)

TP
Old 27-12-2021, 15:26   #125

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

God grant that the level of education in the United States may improve to the point where all Americans can understand their own foundation documents :-)

TP
Amen to that!
Old 27-12-2021, 15:26   #126

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
I can't speak to what's happening in France; it doesn't directly effect me anyway.

But here's what I do know:
  • As of right now (at age 68), if my wife or I have a heart attack, the local hospital doesn't have room for us.
  • It doesn't have room because it's full of COVID patients.
  • Of the COVID patients they are caring for, most (>80%) are unvaccinated / in the county I live in, less than 43% of eligible people have been fully vaccinated.
  • Vaccinated people are getting sick with COVID, BUT - they are not the ones filling up the hospital.
Yes our local hospital CEO claimed that only the unvaccinated were dying in the hospital until families of the deceased vaccinated went to the media. There are 22,000 hospital beds in my state of 12 million. Think about those numbers and you'll realize why they don't let new mothers stay after a difficult birth. The system can't handle a strong fart without falling apart, but I guess the hospital management would rather spread the blame.
Old 27-12-2021, 15:59   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2Sail View Post
In the US, Fauci is now floating a trial balloon of a ban on domestic air travel without a vax passport.
Yep, and (in the real world) the airlines have cancelled THOUSANDS of US flights 'IN THE LAST FOUR DAYS! Why? Staffing shortages due to... COVID!
Old 27-12-2021, 16:00   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Yes our local hospital CEO claimed that only the unvaccinated were dying in the hospital until families of the deceased vaccinated went to the media. There are 22,000 hospital beds in my state of 12 million. Think about those numbers and you'll realize why they don't let new mothers stay after a difficult birth. The system can't handle a strong fart without falling apart, but I guess the hospital management would rather spread the blame.
That may be the case by you. It's not the case here. My info does not just come from the media. I deal with the hospital on a weekly basis, and am hearing what I stated from 'boots on the ground' as well as witnessing it first hand.

As to hospital beds per capita, again, I can only speak for where I live; we had no problems until COVID.

But my bigger question is: why do you live where the health care system is so inadequate?
Old 27-12-2021, 16:05   #129
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
...... The fear is what must be driving many here to placidly, if not enthusiastically, accept the creeping imposition of a Soviet-like totalitarian regime across the globe. A regime where you had to beg for permission to go anywhere, where a store clerk, ostensibly there to serve you, could chastise you for standing in the wrong spot. It's all here now, in the "free" Western world. At least in the USSR they didn't arrest you for walking all alone on a beach - unless you were trying to defect.

And it's all justified by yet another coronavirus with a fatality rate of well under 1%, mainly in the very old and/or already very unhealthy folks. It's the new "war on terror", likely thought up by some of the same characters who pushed the original one to justify the total surveillance state.

Yeah, it affects cruising in a big way, when two-bit nitwits in a uniform/livery can harass you anywhere and anytime to feed their ego. It has certainly negatively affected our cruising plans.
In what other health setting would you accept a fatality rate of 1%?
I assume you consider the very old and/or already very unhealthy folks to be as worthy of life as yourself. I assume you were taught to respect your elders. I assume you would like to do your best to keep even 1% of them safe or does your rights override their life.

Quote:
........ I've been yelled at by a cashier in a store for not standing on the marked "social-distancing" spot, even though I was standing 20 feet away with a mask on. She felt she could tell me, her customer, exactly where to stand. Full vaccination (and soon, endless booster shots) are a "condition of employment" at my job. So yeah, it's here alright.
Have you forgotten you are a guest in this store?
Have you forgotten the cashier is an employee of the owner and is just carrying out the owner's right to determine what goes on in their premises? Their property, their rules just like your boat.
Maybe the shop owner is stooge trying to extract money from you just like big Pharma
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-12-2021, 16:13   #130

Boat: Freedom 40/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
It is not an insult when it is a fact.

Quoting a BC Gov health policy on restrictions here in BC does not tell you how it is on the ground nor how locals perceive it.

"From your own experience" eh? Have you spent any time experiencing British Columbia over the past 18 months?

Oh, and most here in BC accept (and understand) the restrictions... we don't want the kind of statistics that result from your so-called "freedom": Attachment 250352

All these nice, polite Canadians on this thread are giving me conflicting information: So, are the locals following the BC Gov restrictions or not? And if they're not, can we just dismiss the edicts as no big deal?

Regarding the scare graph, where I am in the US, Covid is not exactly running rampant, with a confirmed Covid fatality rate of <1%, with 75%+ above the age of 70 and already infirm. Given, as we now know, that the number of Covid infections is at least 10x higher than the confirmed cases, we're at about a <0.1% infected fatality rate. And this is despite the best efforts by the Feds to spread fear by incentivizing healthcare providers to assign deaths from multiple or unknown causes to Covid, by direct payments to healthcare providers for every facet of Covid - diagnosis, hospitalization, death, even funeral expenses. I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US, incentives matter. I know from first-hand sources that my hospital received tens of millions of $ from the Federal Gov for treating every possible case as a Covid case.

So yeah, before before you nice folks invest so much faith in SCIENCE! and STATISTICS!, perhaps you should peer a little more into the nitty-gritty details of how these numbers are achieved.
Old 27-12-2021, 16:23   #131

Quote:
the best efforts by the Feds to spread fear by incentivizing healthcare providers to assign deaths from multiple or unknown causes to Covid, by direct payments to healthcare providers for every facet of Covid - diagnosis, hospitalization, death, even funeral expenses...

I know from first-hand sources that my hospital received tens of millions of $ from the Federal Gov for treating every possible case as a Covid case.
Source(s)?
Old 27-12-2021, 16:36   #132

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Yep, and (in the real world) the airlines have cancelled THOUSANDS of US flights 'IN THE LAST FOUR DAYS! Why? Staffing shortages due to... COVID!
Let’s review - testing is inadequate due to government failure so it’s difficult to get tested plus it’s vacation time.

2 +2 = Covid excuse
Old 27-12-2021, 16:43   #133

Boat: Bristol 27

Not that difficult to get tested.

I tested 2 guys at work today both were negative, but we have two others out with Covid and another employee that called in today to say his kids had Covid so he won't be coming in for a while..
Old 27-12-2021, 16:46   #134

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post

Shouldn't all those antivaxxers be dead by now?
We have to test antivaxxers at work and two of the three have tested positive and one has been out for three weeks because he hasn't tested negative yet.
Old 27-12-2021, 16:49   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Let’s review - testing is inadequate due to government failure so it’s difficult to get tested plus it’s vacation time.

2 +2 = Covid excuse
Yeah, there are testing shortages, in some places, but not here. My wife picked up a rapid test Sat. I got one yesterday. Today I went in for a PRC test, she's going in tomorrow.

The airlines did not cancel flights because 'it's vacation time'. They've cancelled flights due to staffing shortages, there are staffing shortages because their employees sick - are coming down with COVID.