Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 18:55   #136

Boat: none yet :(
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In the case of the vaccines, there is absolutely no need to blindly follow anyone. The research and studies are all publicly available for anyone who wants to read them. And the rollout is being scrutinized to a far higher level than any vaccine I'm aware of.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions. That's NOT what I'm ranting about. These anti-folks aren't asking questions. They're not interested in learning the truth because they already know the answers. They're spouting misinformation and false or invalid conclusions based on what some others have told them, usually wrapped up in some bizarre conspiracy theory.

There is plenty we don't know about the world, and about these vaccines specifically. But there is a vast amount we DO know, and it's all available to anyone who actually wants to read accurate information.

This screen shot is take from the Pfizer vaccine website - unless I am reading it incorrectly, which part of this text suggests that we should unquestionably accept these vaccines?

https://www.cvdvaccine.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clipboard_image_f977d8e2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	231343  
Old 26-01-2021, 18:58   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I'm an ex-pat. I'm more than "old enough". Our winter is in the Northern Hemisphere summer. Flu vaccine was still recommended. We were treated like any other resident, here in Tasmania. This is a public health decision. I expect we will be treated like any other resident when the Covid 19 vaccine becomes available, here, as well.

For those ex-pats who think the US should interfere in what other nations are doing with their populations to provide you with a vaccination, I kind of doubt there is any mechanism in place for the US to do that, so you are likely to be mixed in with the local population and to have to do whatever they have to do. If you want to refuse the vaccination, there is probably something in place, a way to legally do that, also.

I will get vaccinated, but no intention -- in spite of a number of pre-existing conditions-- to try and jump the queue. There are always risks with life. Getting the vaccination, imho, may benefit me; as well, it may benefit others and is as unlikely to harm them as me. Both the shot an my death will happen when it happens outside my control, so not to worry either way. A line from a very old song, "I'll live till I die."

Ann
Worst case you have to pay 50 bucks instead of getting it for free. For most cruisers that's probably acceptable.

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...ay-have-to-pay

I think the poster a few pages back was saying the US government should pay for it. Probably not worth the trouble of setting that up. All expats should be able to afford 50 bucks otherwise they shouldn't be overseas. I'm talking about people who are semi permanent expats.
Old 26-01-2021, 19:09   #138

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
Well, it could be worse. I'm a recreational target shooter -- if you want to reallllly see anti-science anti-expert rhetoric, take a tour through their chat forums.

I agree with you that there are voluble anti-smart-people folk here on CF. But really they're a minority barking at the passing traffic. They're bitter that the world is going along without them at the wheel, plus they love the sound of their own yapping. Stopping to try and talk a dog out of barking at cars is useless. Keeping going -- they disappear in the rear view.
I suppose..., but it is fascinating to me. On these recent pages alone we see at least three members with very few posts coming in spouting their conspiracy nonsense. I don't see this kind of activity on SN, but I'll grant you I don't hang out in target shooting forums, so I guess it can always be worse .

ADD: It's starting to feel like we're playing whack-a-mole here. Just when one nonsense-spreader gets responded to, we see another crop up.
Old 26-01-2021, 19:21   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
Interesting observation when a vaccinated person dies, the vaccine is not the cause, but when a person dies from whatever reason (mostly >75 y/o with health conditions and tested positive for Covid, it is registered as Covid -death without any further assessment.
Having several family members and several friends in the medical professions I can assure that this rumor is complete and total nonsense. If anything the number of Covid deaths are underreported, at least in some states.

FL for example the governor removed all Covid deaths from state data if the person was not a full time, legal resident of FL. With tens of thousands of people, many older and retires that use Florida as a winter home this is a pretty significant number.
Old 26-01-2021, 19:29   #140

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

In 2 weeks I’ll be 76. 100% Disabled Veteran, Have had Parkinson’s Disease for several years and my wife is 67, healthy retired Nurse. We will Not take our the offered Vaccines at this time.
Stay Safe and protect yourself everyone.....[emoji1303][emoji4]❤️

S/V Water Wings
Old 26-01-2021, 21:01   #141

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

Located in Washington State. 73 years old. First shot moderna was last week. No after effects. Hoping the same for the second round. I still have an old CQR anchor if anyone wants to know. Seems like there should be some sort of relationship between our feelings about the shots and our anchors, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Or maybe it is guns?
Wishing everyone safe health no matter what you decide to do.
jp
Old 27-01-2021, 04:11   #142

I'm 62 and I haven't even asked to be put on a list yet. Besides I'm pretty sure my wife and I have already had it. I only had a really bad cough that lasted about three or four weeks and felt crappy for about a week, she felt crappy and lost her sense of taste and smell only about half of which she has regained. I'm sure we'll get it sooner or later but I'm more than willing to let other people be the beta testers for this thing.
Old 27-01-2021, 04:51   #143
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Why is CF such a hot bed for anti-science, anti-vax, anti-expertise? It's absolutely fascinating...

It's great to see the vast majority here are still grounded in reality, but it really does amaze me the disproportionate number of folks who have fallen off the logic wagon. Why so many on CF? Or is it just that they're louder?
My sadness is that CF is becoming increasingly more vicious/violent in its responses instead of accepting of individuals opinion..
Over the last few months I have seen people wishing death on others, burying hammers in heads etc..
Seems to be buried in "I am right and if you don't accept my view I'll blow you away"..
The humour that once made this a different place seems to have been replaced with bile and the site has been invaded by Redneck Psuedo Intellectuals determined to impose their will and opinions at any cost.
Makes the old Gun and Anchor threads of yesteryear seem like Play Away at Kindergarten.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 27-01-2021, 04:56   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Indeed, civility is a lost art.

There is a Loooong blog post on this. 10 part mini-book if you will. Some parts are tedious but over all an excellent read. For anyone who wants to know how we got here.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2019/08/story-intro.html
Old 27-01-2021, 05:49   #145

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Marathon, Monroe County Florida: we logged in at 5:40am, at 6:00am we got a choice of multiple sites in Naples and one in Key West. We are getting jabbbed in three days at the Key West site with our second shot in late February.

Very easy and simple to get an appointment.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:02   #146

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Having several family members and several friends in the medical professions I can assure that this rumor is complete and total nonsense. If anything the number of Covid deaths are underreported, at least in some states.

FL for example the governor removed all Covid deaths from state data if the person was not a full time, legal resident of FL. With tens of thousands of people, many older and retires that use Florida as a winter home this is a pretty significant number.

.... hence I mentioned to look and compare on a broader international basis in order to see the cracks in the politically motivated reporting which only raises suspicion - the screen below is only one example. I am sure on many locations things are presented more accurately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	231360  
Old 27-01-2021, 06:15   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
A couple others. What if you already had it. Can you catch it again? If not do you really need the shot? How many have had it and never knew it? Do they really need the shot? How long are they immune? The only way I knew that I had it was my wife got sick so I got tested. Otherwise I would have never known. How many are like me? Hmmm?
This is actually a good question.

For all the "follow the science" rhetoric, they aren't following the science regarding those who have tested positive. Currently, the rules do not consider prior infection.

Now we do need to split this between a case confirmed thru testing vs had some flu like symptoms and you are guessing you might have had it.
- Without a test to confirm it's hard to justify changing your status.
- If you were tested and confirmed to have had it (particularly an antibody test), it is a poor use of the limited supply of vaccine as there is a very high probability that you have immunity already.

This isn't to say those who have had it should never be allowed to get the vaccine but moving them down to a later catagory makes a lot of sense. This will allow the limited supply to focus on those who most likely do not have any immunity.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:17   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you think Canada USA vaccine envy is going to be a problem wait till u see the issues with the EU failing behind due to the Astra issue compared to the U.K. who are already 4x the EU and with an undiminished local Astra supply
Wait? There are already threats being made by the EU to withhold vaccines or building blocks for vaccines if the resultant vaccines will not be sent to EU countries.

Even within the EU, there is infighting with claims some countries are getting more than their fair share.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:25   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
From a previous item it seems that testing in the US can cost $100 or more. So is there a charge for the vaccination process? Can paying shift you up the ladder?

Would you rather see the cost for your jabs be spent vaccinating an entire village in Gambia or Madagascar?

There appears to be an ethical minefield here. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
The vaccine is free to US citizens. The administrator can charge a "reasonable" fee for administering the vaccine but my understanding is since most are going out via large facilities, they aren't charging for that (we didn't get charged anything when we got the 1st shot on Sunday).

You are free to send money to the COVAX program if you want a village in Gambia vaccinated.

Ethics get complicated. This is very similar to "gouging" complaints after hurricanes...in the end it turns out "gouging" quickly gets supplies into the area, encourages people not to purchase more than they need, and spurs pricing to return to normal more quickly. Very similar here. If the wealthy countries had been forced to participate in a worldwide program getting only a share proportional to their population, they likely would have pushed for the poor countries to contribute their share...it would have quickly bogged down and we wouldn't have multiple viable vaccines so quickly. There is no risk that once the supply catches up with demand, supplies will be provided to the poor countries.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:55   #150

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
This is actually a good question.

For all the "follow the science" rhetoric, they aren't following the science regarding those who have tested positive. Currently, the rules do not consider prior infection.
The "rules" do not consider prior exposure because it's not clear how effective this is at producing a lasting immune response.

As I read the science (and I read it every day. I can give you good links to current science news if you like), this is a hot topic being studied. So far, research is in that inconclusive stage. It's not clear how effective prior exposure to SARS-CoV-2 is at producing a lasting immune response. Nor is it clear how long the vaccine-inspired immune response lasts for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
This isn't to say those who have had it should never be allowed to get the vaccine but moving them down to a later catagory makes a lot of sense. This will allow the limited supply to focus on those who most likely do not have any immunity.
The current state of the research does not support this conclusion. It may make sense, or it may not. That's the thing about following the science ... sometimes it takes time to really know something. What seems sensible might turn out not to be. We have to, wait for it... Follow The Science .

Tags