Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 20:20   #1486
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah yes, good point. But the comment I'm responding to is not this one. It's that this is only a personal choice that only affects the individual. This is objectively and demonstrably false. This is an excuse some people are using as cover.

To carry the analogy forward, if people won't drive reasonably the rest of society imposes stiff penalties on them. If people drove responsibly we wouldn't need laws and traffic cops. This is why we're inevitably going to have some sort of societal response to all those who only consider themselves when it comes to vaccines.

It's not what I want, much like I wish there were no need for traffic laws and cops. But sadly too many people can't understand that rights come with responsibilities, and unless you're living alone on an island, your actions in a pandemic affect more than just you.

Are you asking have I ever done a stupid, selfish thing? You bet I have. I try to set a slight higher bar, especially when dealing with other people's lives.

(My last automotive violation of any kind, including a parking ticket, was over 35 years ago ... do I pass? Am I pure enough?)
Is that why folk in N America are wanting to defund the police.???
Get real Mike.. I get it that many are scared for themselves but really.. enough with laying guilt trips on others.
Either vaccines work or they don't..
Either you believe or you don't..
Either way, I live in Portugal.. so your safe..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 29-04-2021, 20:24   #1487

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Ah yes, good point. But the comment I'm responding to is not this one. It's that this is only a personal choice that only affects the individual. This is objectively and demonstrably false. This is an excuse some people are using as cover.
Well lets look at the abortion analogy. The woman has the sole RIGHT to abort the pregnancy without regard of the fathers wishes. The abortion has grave consequences to the unborn baby------------100% fatality rate. How do you think this ranks with the Covid vaccine?
Old 29-04-2021, 21:34   #1488
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

The "knee jerk" panic reactions aimed at attempting to legislate morality are breathtaking.

I think there are valid and serious views for both positions on this subject and here in the social media world the tendency can be to overreact demonize other
points of view without careful consideration. Which only further divide society, as we all know is a real and big concern these days.

To stay on thread, I have not been vaccinated and am still uncertain if I will when the opportunity arises. I am not an anti vaxer.
Old 30-04-2021, 01:54   #1489
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
We'll all be getting Mk 2, 3, 4, etc... in the coming years.

Well if what the West Australia Government are saying about the shot is honest, from my earlier post, I don't think you will need to worry about getting to shots 3,4..... as you'll be long gone......

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/pub...r-vaccine-no-1
Old 30-04-2021, 02:37   #1490

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Well if what the West Australia Government are saying about the shot is honest, from my earlier post, I don't think you will need to worry about getting to shots 3,4..... as you'll be long gone......

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/pub...r-vaccine-no-1
Australia has historically had some marketing issues with their policies. Marketing Covid19 vaccines as poison just doesn't seem like a well thought out plan.
Old 30-04-2021, 02:59   #1491
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Australia has historically had some marketing issues with their policies. Marketing Covid19 vaccines as poison just doesn't seem like a well thought out plan.

No it's certainly not the best way to sell it. On the flip side maybe they are simply being honest in a dishonest world?
Old 30-04-2021, 03:01   #1492

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Sigh... we've been over this a thousand times here, so might as well make it 1001 .

Taking the "bus, the train or drive my car or bike, ..." are ALL personal choices that almost exclusively affect just the person who makes the choice. Wearing of masks and getting vaccinated is a choice that affects everyone around you. This simple fact seems to elude some of you. As the saying goes, it's not just about you.

The true equivalent would be choosing to drive a car recklessly, endangering everyone else on the highway. This is not just a personal choice. It affects everyone.
Yeah, so here we go again. The main danger to others are sick people. And common sense tells us they should refrain from contact with others in close proximity until they have recovered. That goes for both the unvaccinated and vaccinated alike.

Those who are asymptomatic, regardless whether vaccinated or not, are now generally thought to have minimal if any possibility of being infectious and therefore pose little danger to others.

I have challenged you and others to provide links to research that categorically states otherwise and that challenge is still open. So, again, until you can provide evidence that unvacinated asymptomatics are any more infectious than vaccinated asymptomatics your unsupported assertion that unvaccinated healthy people are a danger to others and that, therefore, the unvaccinated are socially irresponsible remains total bunk, and you really should stop repeating it.
Old 30-04-2021, 03:18   #1493

Boat: J/88

Perhaps the best analogy to illustrate Mike's point of impacting the lives of others would be impaired driving. How would you react if a drunk driver killed someone you love?
Old 30-04-2021, 03:25   #1494
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Perhaps the best analogy to illustrate Mike's point of impacting the lives of others would be impaired driving. How would you react if a drunk driver killed someone you love?

Really??? You are going to go as far as that? It's quite sad GAL
Old 30-04-2021, 03:27   #1495
UFO

Israel is looking into inflammation of the heart issues with the vaccine.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb...zer-covid-shot

I hope you all realise that those taking the jab are part of the bigger trial, if you don't then its time to wise up.
Old 30-04-2021, 03:52   #1496

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Israel is looking into inflammation of the heart issues with the vaccine.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb...zer-covid-shot

I hope you all realise that those taking the jab are part of the bigger trial, if you don't then its time to wise up.
When will you feel the need to vaccinate against Covid? You're limiting your cruising to Australia now, a place with one of the world's lowest infection rates, so your chances of getting infected are pretty darn low. To cruise further abroad anytime soon, you'll either be at much higher risk or won't be allowed in without a vaccine.
Old 30-04-2021, 04:05   #1497

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
RIGHTS have no responsibilities with them, privilege's do.

You make my point better than I ever could .
Old 30-04-2021, 04:06   #1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Everyone's always looking for a payoff.. is that a N American thing..???
Like the guy in the Caribe who wanted $100 to ride me out to a boat the owner had asked him to show..
Copout.

We both know that the risky things you listed - eg sailing solo, crossing oceans - they all have an attraction, a payoff. Again: what's the payoff for the greater risk of being susceptible to a preventable disease?
Old 30-04-2021, 04:07   #1499
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
When will you feel the need to vaccinate against Covid? You're limiting your cruising to Australia now, a place with one of the world's lowest infection rates, so your chances of getting infected are pretty darn low. To cruise further abroad anytime soon, you'll either be at much higher risk or won't be allowed in without a vaccine.

At the moment everything is pretty much closed around me - Indo opened up for a few weeks then shut again, Malaysia is kicking out cruisers and Thailand is charging big $$$.

So yes it looks like the land of Oz is what I get at the moment, fortunately its very big and plenty of places to go

If you have ever read any of my posts you will know that I am very happy to take the risk of Covid - Probably already had it when I was in Japan when it all kicked off and i was ill with a sore throat, cough and fever and there is always quarantine and testing on the boat to get into countries. Much rather have a natural immunity than a man made one, especially with all the negative reports on side effects going around along with some scientist talking about the unknown long term effects.

Anyway I am also very happy for those that want to get the vaccine take it, I am not anti-vac, just freedom of choice to take it and info about the issues with it.
Old 30-04-2021, 04:09   #1500

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Everyone's always looking for a payoff.. is that a N American thing..???

Like the guy in the Caribe who wanted $100 to ride me out to a boat the owner had asked him to show..

In this case, the biggest “payoff” for not smoking is a much greater likelihood of living a longer and healthier life without respiratory problems, and pretty much everyone in N America is already aware of that so there’s much less smoking going on here than there used to be. But there’s always the 10% that never get the word and are still trying to be the Marlboro man. Plus, I’ve noticed that most smokers seem to have no idea that they literally stink and non smokers can usually smell them coming from quite a long distance away so when they quit that’s a “payoff” we can all enjoy. Ive never understood why people do that to themselves but as long as I can keep them to leeward and they don’t expect me to help pay for their much more expensive final years of healthcare from a condition they knowingly inflicted on thrmself, to each their own.

Tags