Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 12:49   #196

Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie4203 View Post
Well, here in N/E North Carolina (rural/farming), county pop. of only 14k, we've been vaccinating since Jan. 6 and each Thurs. since! Next week we begin 2 days/week, Tues. for 2nd dose and Thurs. for first. From my perspective who is directly involved (RN) it's a matter of planning. It seems that NC has planned well in advance and those states lagging in the program are playing "catch-up". I wish I could tell y'all to come here. We even have volunteers making calls at the end of the day to our residents to just "come on down" to use the last of the allotment.
Good luck to all!

My county in the more center of North Carolina is doing well with setting up a jab queues. Other nearby areas, not so much.

Later,
Dan
Old 28-01-2021, 13:00   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How in the world will an 80 year old without a cell phone or the internet ever run this trap line?...
My mother and I were discussing this problem the other day.

My mom has a dumb cell phone that she has trouble using and my dad has a sorta smart phone that he can sorta use. In spite of our efforts, my mother cannot use the internet, but thankfully, my dad can. If my dad dies before my mom, her lack of ability to use the internet is going to be a big problem.

I am reading too much about jab queues, from too many geographies, but I THINK I read that a local person to us, simply sat on the phone calling over and over and over until they got to a person. If the phone rang busy, they hung up and dialed again. Took a couple of hours to get to a person.

I don't see my mother making that kind of effort to get signed up on a list.

It is a complicated logistical problem to get a shot, that requires careful handling, to hundreds of millions of people. This is not trivial and using technology is required, BUT the most vulnerable population, the population that needs the vaccine the most, is not equipped to GET the shot due to the required use of technology AND being required to DRIVE to get the jab.

Later,
Dan

PS, How many people on CF do you think know what a trap line is?
Old 28-01-2021, 13:12   #198

Boat: Outremer 50S

My mother-in-law and divorced father-in-law both live in the same city, with the same healthcare provider, in northern California. Both at advanced enough age to qualify in the current group. They both called the same phone number on the same day. MIL got a person answering, spent 5 minutes on the phone, got an appointment for the following Monday (two days away). FIL got recorded message, ended on hold, in total, for more than 12 hours and ended up with an appointment four weeks out.
Old 28-01-2021, 13:49   #199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Chowan County, eastern NC. As reported above hot my first jab already. Things seem to be working but it is very local to the Albramarle Regional Health Servicss region.

I have no idea how it is working for those in nursing homes. Presumably they have been taken care of, I hope.

RE: elders being able to negotiate the system.

This is nothing new. Going back 35 years when my Father passed my Mother; functional illiterate, would have been totally screwed by the system, would have lost her house, had I not stepped in and taken over. He had 4 layers of health insurance; each had to he submitted and processed in the proper order. I am an order freak and was able to set up a system tondo it, but it was completely outside her capabilities. The buggers (with apologies to insects) at the hospital were just draining her dry. It took 3 to 4 years to work the system after he passed.

Then when she was sick I again had to become her advocate and protect her from the hospitals, not just financially but also their blatant incompetence and abominable attitude. In the end they killed her. This crap repeated with my children.

Sure there are wonderful, selfless, competent medical professionals and I have been blessed to met some. It is the other end of the spectrum one must be on guard about.

As we age we fall behind on the technology and our minds become less agile. We tire and become more and more reliant upon others. Short of a wuick and untimely death this is our future. The elderly absolutely NEED some competent advocate who can intervene on their behalf as needed. Frequently it is a grown child, but that can be a heavy burden not all can shoulder. And then where are you?
Old 28-01-2021, 14:04   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
RE: elders being able to negotiate the system.

This is nothing new. Going back 35 years when my Father passed my Mother; functional illiterate, would have been totally screwed by the system, would have lost her house, had I not stepped in and taken over. He had 4 layers of health insurance; each had to he submitted and processed in the proper order. I am an order freak and was able to set up a system tondo it, but it was completely outside her capabilities. The buggers (with apologies to insects) at the hospital were just draining her dry. It took 3 to 4 years to work the system after he passed.

Then when she was sick I again had to become her advocate and protect her from the hospitals, not just financially but also their blatant incompetence and abominable attitude. In the end they killed her. This crap repeated with my children.

Sure there are wonderful, selfless, competent medical professionals and I have been blessed to met some. It is the other end of the spectrum one must be on guard about.

As we age we fall behind on the technology and our minds become less agile. We tire and become more and more reliant upon others. Short of a wuick and untimely death this is our future. The elderly absolutely NEED some competent advocate who can intervene on their behalf as needed. Frequently it is a grown child, but that can be a heavy burden not all can shoulder. And then where are you?
Preach it Brother! Preach it!

We have had HORRIBLE experience with the doctors. Some are Angels, others are just horrible,g and should not be treating pet rocks. Then there is the nursing homes... Don't get me started on either...

My parents had to advocate for their parents. We have already done the same for a father in law and my parents are next. It really is the one thing that might keep us from going cruising. Ironically, if we had a boat, we could live closer to my parents if they stay in their home.

Later,
Dan
Old 28-01-2021, 14:43   #201

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

OK, I finally got my appointment to be jabbed next Wed. by the county not my HMO.

This has taken three days of hitting "Get an appointment" on both sites.

On a more interesting tack, Starboard I believe, a "trap line" is what animal trappers do when they set their traps to catch valuable furry animals. It's a line because they want to go from one trap to another efficiently and it's usually circular so as to end where you parked your truck.
Please note trapping animals for profit is not allowed anymore in most locals. Except Canada.

Now, I'm a little befuddled by your use of this metaphor above.
Old 28-01-2021, 14:47   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Because there many traps in the medical system.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:07   #203

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Touché!
Old 28-01-2021, 15:26   #204

I got the Astra shot this week ,I dont get the second until aprill 13th , theres now another vacine going to be available, its called novavax ,ment to be 89% effective against the new uk strain
Old 28-01-2021, 15:44   #205

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’m still pretty unsure about this vaccine I’d like to get.

Seems a lot of precautions for people like myself who have (epoxy induced) allergies to lots of things and carry an epipen.
Old 28-01-2021, 16:10   #206

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m still pretty unsure about this vaccine I’d like to get.

Seems a lot of precautions for people like myself who have (epoxy induced) allergies to lots of things and carry an epipen.

Our public health people have suggested that you should check with your doctor before getting a shot if you have serious allergies
Old 28-01-2021, 16:49   #207
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Anyone queuing up for a Covac Cocktail - equal parts of Pfizer, Astra and Nova stirred though liquid nitrogen and served in a syringe and taken twice.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2021, 17:04   #208

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
If immunity to the real virus is not durable, why would immunity to an mRNA vaccine that emulates one of the proteins of the virus be any more durable?
When you develop natural immunity, there are two prongs to our immunity: there is the humoral arm, which is antibodies, and then there's the cellular arm which is t cells and B cells. When we are infected with an antigen, like a virus, we don't get to choose which part of the immune system works, or if it works at all, and therefore how the immunity is developed. In other words, we should not confuse survival of the illness with immunity development. They are separate and distinct. This is why the question of reinfection and durability of immunity even comes up because survival doesn't necessarily equate to immunity. In addition, you don't get to pick which part of the virus antibodies are made to. it could be that the antibodies are made to the spike proteins, it could be that antibodies are made to the envelope protein, and it could be that antibodies are made to the envelope protein. We don't know those answers. Again, this is why the question of immunity following natural infection becomes questionable.

The MRNA vaccine is a very specific protein target on the spike protein of the coronavirus. It is designed to cap the spike protein like a specific piece of Velcro so the coronavirus cannot enter our cells and begin the replication process. We have yet to see if the spike protein mutates.

Ben
Old 28-01-2021, 17:10   #209

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Anyone queuing up for a Covac Cocktail - equal parts of Pfizer, Astra and Nova stirred though liquid nitrogen and served in a syringe and taken twice.

Sounds delicious, but I understand that stirring is not recommended as it bruises the mRNA.

I'll see my self out...
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 28-01-2021, 18:14   #210

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
OK, I finally got my appointment to be jabbed next Wed. by the county not my HMO.

This has taken three days of hitting "Get an appointment" on both sites.

On a more interesting tack, Starboard I believe, a "trap line" is what animal trappers do when they set their traps to catch valuable furry animals. It's a line because they want to go from one trap to another efficiently and it's usually circular so as to end where you parked your truck.
Please note trapping animals for profit is not allowed anymore in most locals. Except Canada.

Now, I'm a little befuddled by your use of this metaphor above.

An off topic side note:
The last Fur Table (where buyers come out from the city, to the trappers) in North America occurs in my present home, the small city of Thompson Manitoba, although this year's was postponed due to the pandemic.

Tags