Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 11:40   #226

Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m still pretty unsure about this vaccine I’d like to get.

Seems a lot of precautions for people like myself who have (epoxy induced) allergies to lots of things and carry an epipen.
Generally, they are recommending if you have allergies to hold off.

When we got our first dose last Sunday, they did ask about allergies, so obviously don't lie.

Also, they made us sit in an auditorium for 20min to keep an eye on us in case there was a reaction.

We both had sore arms at the injection site for 24hr but otherwise no issues.
Old 29-01-2021, 11:56   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
If immunity to the real virus is not durable, why would immunity to an mRNA vaccine that emulates one of the proteins of the virus be any more durable?
In simple terms, if it's not durable from infection, it's not going to be durable from vaccine.

If there's a durability problem, the mRNA (and most other vaccine types) is more likely to have issues as it targets a specific part of immunity. Any change that negates that specfic link will negate the vaccines effectiveness. Infection based immunity will be a more broad based immunity utilizing a variety of defenses. A change in the virus may negate some of the defenses but it's less likely (not impossible) to negate all the defenses.

Now there can be some variability in infection based immunity depending on the initial viral load and how your body responded. But recovery does infer a level of immunity (otherwise the virus would be continuing to multiply). The question is how strong and how long can the immunity be expected...Based on how few confirmed reinfections there are while there are over 100,000,000 confirmed 1st infections, there is little doubt that the vast majority of infected individuals are getting significant immunity and it's lasting at least on the order of several months. (New strains could negate the immunity but that applies to vaccines also).

Immunity doesn't mean the virus can't get into your body and start doing it's thing. It means that when that happens, your body has set up defenses to fight back. The level of immunity is how good those defenses are (a 60ft castle wall is harder to breach than a 6ft wall). Also your body can sometimes forget how to fight off a virus (your castle hasn't been breached in years, so you don't raise the drawbridge). Or a new variation of the virus can come along (walls that were good against catapults don't do as well against large cannons)

Eventually when supply catches up, vaccinating those who have recovered from infection makes sense to act as a booster if nothing else but early on with limited supply, they shouldn't be the priority.
Old 29-01-2021, 12:19   #228

Quote:

Seems a lot of precautions for people like myself who have (epoxy induced) allergies to lots of things and carry an epipen.
FYI Chotu

The guidance is for persons that have previously had allergic reactions to vaccines is to have obtain your Covid inoculation where one can be resuscitated and of course, epi injected, which means a hospital not a pharmacy where one would need to thence be transported to emergency clinical or even ICU care.

You will be asked about your allergies and they will be sure to keep close attention on you for a period to time after your inoculation observing for severe adverse reactions.

No drive in or large auditorium sites are advisable for you, nor a doctor's clinic, go to where full care can be deployed in short order.

And do not take anti-inflammatory medicines before your innoculations as they can suppress your immune response and lower the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Stay safe and bon chance.
Old 29-01-2021, 12:24   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Can't comment about the impact of allergies on which or whether or not to do the vaccine at all. What I can say, I had a choice between Pfizer and Moderna so asked my daughter the doctor which one I should choose. She said take the first one you can get, it doesn't matter.
Old 29-01-2021, 12:51   #230

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea
Thumbs up Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No sign of any vaccination programs here in the near future.
Pompano Beach, FL 73 + 81.... We get our second shots 2/1/21

Happiness from the land of Sun & Sand (and Water ofcourse)

Gene
Old 29-01-2021, 15:21   #231

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I received both shots. Pfizer..Dec 18th than Jan 4th. Moderate arm soreness with first shot (which I was happy about), and mild arm soreness (same arm) with second shot. Both times soreness gone the next day.
Old 29-01-2021, 16:03   #232

Boat: Hunter 46

In Solano County, California, with a population 450,000, 34,743 vacinations have been administered out of ~80,000 peope in Phase 1A (front-line health care, long term care residents, dental, labs) with ~43% chosing to be vacinated. I conclude: 1) as a result of those in Phase 1A deciding not be be vacinnated that freed up vacinations for my wife and I to be vacinated way earlier that I thought (on Feb 1) as we are in Phase 1B Tier 1 (65+, education, child care, agriculture) and I guestimate there are 60,000 people in that category, and 2) with this low vacinnation level we will unlikely achieve herd immunity (herd immunity is achieved when large percentages of a population become immune to Covid-19 disease and therefore indirectly protect those who do not have immunity).
Old 29-01-2021, 18:10   #233

Older adults without family or friends lag in race to get coronavirus vaccines

Snipets: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/healt...khn/index.html

A divide between "haves" and "have-nots" is emerging as older adults across the country struggle to get covid-19 vaccines.

Seniors with family members or friends to help them are getting vaccine appointments, even if it takes days to secure them. Those without reliable social supports are missing out.

Elders who can drive — or who can get other people to drive them — are traveling to locations where vaccines are available, crossing city or county borders to do so. Those without private transportation, are stuck with whatever is available nearby.

Older adults who are comfortable with computers and have internet service are getting notices of vaccine availability and can register online for appointments. Those who can't afford broadband services or don't use computers or smartphone apps are likely missing out on information about vaccines and appointments.

. . .

Disproportionately, these barriers appear to be affecting Blacks and Hispanic elders as well as people who are not native English speakers; older adults living in low-income neighborhoods; seniors who are frail, seriously ill or homebound; and those with vision and hearing impairments and without ability to drive.

Help others to get vaccinated, organize your family, friends and neighbors to aid others to get an appointment and to arrange transportation to the facility.

In this Covid pandemic times recall JFK, Jr.'s historic words:

“Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” whereby he challenged every American to contribute in some way to the public good. Helping others to become vaccinated is a way you can contribute to the public good.
Old 29-01-2021, 18:17   #234

Boat: Hunter 46

Montanan........we had the same discussion at out weekly neighbor social distancing gathering an hour ago. We agreed that US Medicare and Supplemental Mediaare Insurance Companies should be proactive to assist Seniors WHO DO NOT HAVE family members or friends to help them get vaccine appointments.
Old 29-01-2021, 19:15   #235

FUBAR

Delayed doses, unfulfilled requests and last-minute allocations: Inside the vaccine rollout
Clinics are left in the dark about how many doses they'll receive, forcing them to scramble at the last minute to schedule appointments.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...llout-n1256072

Health departments must put in their requests for vaccine doses every week, based on community need and the number of people who have pre-registered. The departments must then wait to find out from the state how many they'll actually be allocated then make plans for staff and volunteers and notify persons of their schedule for a vaccine.

"When those allocations aren't being met, you can imagine the shuffling that happens," "You have to think of it this way: We are the last in line to get information, but we're the first in line for the public."

By way of example, the director of the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department Right now, 400,000 people are signed up on a waitlist to get appointments. But they, too, can't be scheduled until a day or two before a vaccination event. "We'll send out 6,000 invitations. Then only 2,000 people show up," Many can't make arrangements to meet the short notice of the appointed vaccination availability, also it appears that people often sign up on multiple waitlists in different counties and providers to see where they can get in first.

"What happened is, and I give a great deal of credit to Operation Warp Speed, especially with the R&D and getting it manufactured, but they didn't account for the importance of the last mile, which is distribution,"

While others say states were too quick to open up eligibility. "We've overpromised," "We've lost sight of the fact that there's limited supply."
Old 30-01-2021, 05:16   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
An off topic side note:
The last Fur Table (where buyers come out from the city, to the trappers) in North America occurs in my present home, the small city of Thompson Manitoba, although this year's was postponed due to the pandemic.
Due to the cancellation of the 2020 Thompson Fur Tables, view the list of "Fur Auction House and Fur Buyers"
http://www.manitobatrappers.com/Fur-Buyers2020.pdf

Old 30-01-2021, 05:35   #237

Got my first Pfizer shot 10 days ago and will get the second in 11 days. (66 yrs old)
Total **** show in Southern Florida.
Broken phone lines, Broken web site registration.
Both my wife and I registered by web portal and thought we would be waiting
till April or May. However we were called in much sooner.
There was and is no coordinated effort at communication and information
and certainly no rhyme or reason to how people are chosen.
Total random chance.
Everybody keeps yapping about the vaccination sites and required personnel.
Fifty years ago I was taught how to do injections because my
younger brother is severely allergic to bee stings and carried a syringe kit
whenever outside. I was taught in an hour.
I believe the real issue to be Supply,
Gotta wonder why Texas and Florida got the biggest first allocations???
Both Red States, now there is some food for the conspiracy theory fans out there.
Old 30-01-2021, 08:11   #238

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

For all the flack thenUSA got for poorly handling the pandemic it now seems the USA is doing relatively well with the vaccine roll out.

Some goodish news.
Old 30-01-2021, 08:30   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Fifty years ago I was taught how to do injections because my
younger brother is severely allergic to bee stings and carried a syringe kit
whenever outside. I was taught in an hour.
I believe the real issue to be Supply,
Gotta wonder why Texas and Florida got the biggest first allocations???
Both Red States, now there is some food for the conspiracy theory fans out there.
There never was any question, it's a supply issue.

The reason Israel is over 50 shots per 100 people is they have a large supply relative to population and don't have to prioritize who gets it. That makes it 100 times simpler. Show up and they will jab you.

No other nation has nearly the supply relative to population, so everyone else is trying to prioritize. The balancing act is making sure they don't artificially restrict demand while using the available doses on higher priority individuals.

Really, at this stage the confused method of signing up is a side show. It's annoying for those pulled into the performance but really has no impact on the main act (getting lots of shots in arms). By the time the 65+ crowd is largely done, it starts becoming more important but they will have time to sort things out by then.
Old 30-01-2021, 12:34   #240

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
D,

I see that you have included the public wearing of a mask. Up until 2020 wearing a mask as a matter of public health would have been laughed at by every professional I know. Here's a little secret, and it is not supposition. It still is being laughed at. Just not publicly because State Medical Boards began persecuting any professionals who offered thoughts contrary to the ongoing narrative. Not one of the supposed pandemic crises of the last 20 years offered up such foolishness. Once the political class floated the idea and the media pounced upon it, they had no choice but to continue with it, even after trying to walk it back. Now look at us. You can debate the merits of public mask wearing if you choose, but this is my opinion and I believe it to be a fools errand. Digression over. Now back to the subject.

I will suppose that the study you cited above without links was performed and published in 2020 with significant competing interest. Probably not too high on the credibility list. At least not in my book. Anyway, had you read my previous post more closely, you might have noticed that there is no supposition offered in it as you seem to accuse. It's merely an answer to the OP's query, with some extended explanation and some questions posed. As to your statements regarding the murine study, I will say that it presented very valuable information was funded by the following. "Funding: Research performed by the authors and summarized in this report was supported by Public Health Service Contract NO1 AI 30039 from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases". Apparently the now priest class of the new religion?

In the second paragraph of the introduction portion of the article, you may read. "A number of therapeutic efforts were employed for the disease in Asia and in Canada; however, no treatment of clear value was identified. Animal models were developed using mice, hamsters, ferrets and nonhuman primates, and efforts to identify useful treatments and effective vaccines are ongoing." Yet no vaccine until 2020. Why? A good scientific question.

As you may know, non-gain of function Corona viruses are what cause the common cold and some other upper respiratory illnesses. Why no vaccine for that? It's an interesting question. Here is a brief article from a credible source about folks having some immunity to Covid-19 due to memory T cells resulted from prior infection of the common cold (Corona Virus). Again, no supposition, just questions and links. Here is the Link to that article. LINK

I understand that some folks are very fearful and a vaccine is their only hope. I always encourage people to do their own research and make choices based on what they have come to believe from that research. I will fight for their right to choose according to their values. That said, the fearful and ignorant fighting to have their behavior mandated by force of government onto others is a great evil and I will always be against it.

It's a sad state of affairs that we are living in. The politicalization of this novel virus is the worst thing that could have ever happened because folks have turned it into another false religion. I'll say it again. It's a crazy world we're living in right now.
Best to you,
MJ, good afternoon to ya:
Couldnt agree with you more that the politicization of the pandemic is unfortunate. Hey, I'm an atheist so no religion here, not even science...but regarding mask wearing, if it reduces transmission of COVID19 by a few %, I figure its the least I can do...no politics, just tie it around my neck each AM - at the ready, after socks/shirt/pants/etc. Give this link (society of inf dis) a look, re: masks & covid. https://academic.oup.com/jid/search-...&allJournals=1. So uncertain who is laughing at masks...it's just so easy, why not? And frankly for most of us, covering some of our face is an improvement, present company included.

Here are links to the articles I cited (hoping they work):
1. Baden L NEJM 2020 Efficacy safety mRNA SARS Cov vx https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33378609/
2. Anderson NEJM 2020 Safety immunogenicity mRNA in older adults
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32991794/
3. Polack F NEJM 2020 Safety efficacy BNT162b2 mRNA vx Pfizer
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33301246/
And yes these are all industry studies but the data is presented so you can make your own determination/conclusions. I am only referencing new engl journal of med articles, but you can find this data at other medical pubs, lancet, journal of infx diseases. Pretty much the preeminent medical journals in the world.

Not a virologist so no answer to why no vx for common cold...could be rapid mutations, multiple & shifting strains. No Federal gov't supporting research at the tune of hundreds of billions of $$. Hey, still no HIV vaccine either.

Wouldnt you agree that being a member of a society by definition you give up certain freedoms and have some behaviors mandated, remember the military draft? I didnt have a choice-I registered. Specific vaccinations were required as a hospital prof - ultimately mandated by gov't in the form of accreditation = funding. And of course, drinking/driving - No/No. You cant vote til 18/drink til 21; drive an auto on the road w/o registration, and the list goes on & ...

So take care MJ and maybe we'll meet on the water? Long Island sound, that is..thanks Dave
PS...almost forgot...local municipality where i dock my dock mandates $300,000 liability insurance or else my boat & I leave.

Tags