Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 14:08   #256

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I wish... in Canada my turn probably won't come up till late Summer. I'm in that in-between category of being too young to be old, but too old to be young.
I think your looking at Fall 2025. I'm at the 3/4 mark and don't expect to get the shot until 2024.
Old 01-02-2021, 14:13   #257

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
I think your looking at Fall 2025. I'm at the 3/4 mark and don't expect to get the shot until 2024.

You might be right .
Old 01-02-2021, 14:45   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Wouldn't it be much better to vax the young people first, the spreaders, who party, eat out, riot, go shopping, have spring break... Then they cannot spread and heard immunity ist much faster there when the black sheeps get vaxed first. Also they likely can cope better with side effects, that may kill the elderly with preconditions.

Also they study, work and go to gym, socialize and date. More exposure and more efficiency.
Going after the spreaders does make sense as a strategy. There is every reason to believe vaccinated individuals will spread it at a much lower rate...they haven't proven it but if you forced the experts to come down yes or no, it will be overwhelmingly yes, they expect it will slow the spread.

Of course, the spreaders don't necessarily correspond to young people.
- The first category of front line health professionals is not so much about protecting the health professionals but they are exposed disproportionately to infected individuals and then disproportionately come into contact with uninfected individuals. Often at very close range.
- One of the earlier phases was to include essential workers...but that quickly became difficult to define and prove. It's fairly easy to say anyone 65+ and check their ID. Likewise, if you show your hospital ID, it's pretty easy to determine you are a nurse. But when you open it up to cashiers, waitstaff etc..., who's doing the determination of who qualifies and who doesn't.
- Recent CDC study has found that schools which remained open are not hotbeds of the spread.

A lot of the initial slowdown was they tried to fine tune who was getting it too much. They have since moved to a more open policy that's easier to apply.

If you look at my post above, you will see that in 2-3 months deaths/hospitalizations will likely tail off dramatically and infections among the young and healthy may drag on a bit but really, that's mostly a nuisance (people who may feel ill for a few days but at little risk of major complications).
Old 01-02-2021, 15:32   #259

Boat: a sailing boat

In Spain our turn will not come before 2022.

Only 0.5% people have been vaccinated in Spain this far (Feb 2021).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/

World section you must scroll half way. Most countries are mentioned.
Old 01-02-2021, 15:48   #260

Boat: McGruer 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
I am under impression that they don't want us to return to 'normalcy'
nb: the cartoon I am (mis)quoting will appear at the bottom - sorry I don't know how to add it in the middle of my message...

* Will this chart guarantee I don't run aground
> No
* If I get this chart will I still need to keep a lookout
> Yes
* If I hit a rock that is not marked on the chart will the chartmaker be liable
> No
* So why would I buy this chart
> If you don't understand why then I recommend you give up Sailing

(In other words something that can improve your chances, without offering absolute guarantees, can still be worth it - even if it comes with some risk. I think anyone who maintains and skippers a sailing boat should understand that)
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 17:07   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
.... hence I mentioned to look and compare on a broader international basis in order to see the cracks in the politically motivated reporting which only raises suspicion - the screen below is only one example. I am sure on many locations things are presented more accurately.

You show a graphic with details of one way the UK counts COVID death figures (in which any death where there was a recent COVID positive result is considered a COVID death)

But there is another source counting COVID deaths in the UK.

For better figures why not check out the ONS data (Office for National Statistics) where they show both - deaths where COVID was present - and also those where COVID was believed to be the Cause ("the underlying cause of death"). This ONS data does not suffer from the problem you are pointing to, and the numbers still look pretty bad.

I am not sure why we have 2 systems but I suspect it is because the system you draw attention to gives results more quickly and is broadly accurate, while the ONS system (based on death certificates) takes more time so is not satisfying for a public and news media that demand daily figures from the government.

(I carry no flag for the current UK government and I am sure they will spin figures to their own advatage on occasion - personally I believe they have a political motivation to play down how badly hit we have been in the UK - while the civil servants at the ONS have no direct political reason for any particular outcome).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...isional/latest

Quoting from the web page:-

"We use the term "due to COVID-19" or "due to Influenza and Pneumonia" when referring only to deaths where that illness was recorded as the underlying cause of death. We use the term "involving COVID-19" or "involving Influenza and Pneumonia" when referring to deaths that had that illness mentioned anywhere on the death certificate, whether as an underlying cause or not."
Old 01-02-2021, 17:24   #262

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

I am in New York State. My wife was vaccinated a few weeks ago, mine is scheduled for Wednesday (we are both 65 and she is in education). My daughter who lives in California is under forty and has had both because she is a pharmacist and so is her husband who also has had both.
Old 01-02-2021, 18:13   #263

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Well, at least we'll know longer term results by then....

But really, I think you are being way too pessimistic. Then again, I am in BC (where ALL long-term cafe residents etc have now been vaccinated - - at least those who wanted it).
Old 01-02-2021, 18:30   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Well, at least we'll know longer term results by then....

But really, I think you are being way too pessimistic. Then again, I am in BC (where ALL long-term cafe residents etc have now been vaccinated - - at least those who wanted it).

How long would I have to sit in a Cafe to qualify ?
Old 02-02-2021, 04:35   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
... J&J data has been submitted and it's way above the 50% threshold for emergency approval. Keep in mind, there are different numbers for each of these vaccines. The one that is probably most critical (risk of hospitalization/death) is at 85%, so even if you may get infected, 85% reduction in chances of hospitalization/death.
Indeed.

“J&J’s one-shot COVID vaccine offers hope for faster protection” ~ by Heidi Ledford
But vaccine shows reduced protection against one fast-spreading coronavirus variant.
On 29 January, Johnson and Johnson (J&J) of New Brunswick, New Jersey, announced that its Janssen Pharmaceutical vaccine was 66% effective overall in protecting against moderate to severe COVID-19, 28 days after trial participants received a single shot. The vaccine was tested in a phase III trial [‘ENSEMBLE’] involving nearly 44,000 participants in the United States, Latin America and South Africa.
But although the vaccine was 72% effective in the United States, it was only 57% effective in South Africa, where a variant of the virus that can evade some immune responses has been spreading. The vaccine was 66% effective in Latin American countries, including Brazil, where other worrisome variants have been discovered.
An effective single-dose vaccine would offer faster protection than most of the vaccines approved for use so far, which are administered in two shots given weeks apart.

Morehttps://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00119-7

“Johnson & Johnson Announces Single-Shot Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Met Primary Endpoints in Interim Analysis of its Phase 3 ENSEMBLE Trial”
https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-...ensemble-trial

“Janssen Investigational COVID-19 Vaccine: Interim Analysis of Phase 3 Clinical Data Released”
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...-data-released

ENSEMBLE Studyhttps://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/s...&draw=2&rank=1

Old 02-02-2021, 15:11   #266

Russia's Sputnik V vaccine has 92% efficacy in Phase III clinical trial

Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine gives around 92% protection against Covid-19, late stage trial results published in The Lancet reveal.

It has also been deemed to be safe - and offer complete protection against hospitalisation and death.

The vaccine was initially met with some controversy after being rolled out before the final trial data had been released. But scientists said its benefit has now been demonstrated.

It joins the ranks of proven vaccines alongside Pfizer, Oxford/AstraZeneca, Moderna and Janssen. The Sputnik vaccine works in a similar way to the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab developed in the UK, and the Janssen vaccine developed in Belgium. It uses a cold-type virus, engineered to be harmless, as a carrier to deliver a small fragment of the coronavirus to the body.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55900622
Old 02-02-2021, 15:39   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Russia's Sputnik V vaccine has 92% efficacy in Phase III clinical trial

Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine gives around 92% protection against Covid-19, late stage trial results published in The Lancet reveal.

(...)

Be careful with that. Not too long ago I said something about Russians having a vaccine before any Western state (and one that works) I got nearly lynched here. You can still dig up that thread read those posts.

How come a Russian anything could be twice as effective as anything made in the USA? How come they outdid us, again?

Let alone the Russian one does not require LN 2 to transport or store it.

But, there is a catch: US and EU governments decided on my behalf that I cannot walk into drug store here (Spain) buy Sputnik and get shot.

So let's forget about the Russian vaccine. We are not getting it.
Old 02-02-2021, 15:54   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlegreg View Post

nb: the cartoon I am (mis)quoting will appear at the bottom - sorry I don't know how to add it in the middle of my message...

That cartoon is self explanatory and correct.

In Spain, I was thru a 50 days' complete lock down. Now there is a 22:00 - 06:00 curfew. Masks are obligatory everywhere in public areas.

And if/when we get vaccined, there will be more masks, more curfew and more masks. We have already been told this here - by the government.

Sorry, but I do not buy this.

Neither do I buy the fact that I am required by the law to wear a mask when I am walking - alone - in a park, while bars and restaurants are teeming with people laughing eating, drinking and spitting at each other.

There is point at which reason must click in. Or do we already live in Orwell's worst nightmare?
Old 02-02-2021, 16:51   #269

Boat: Hunter 46

Here is a dissapointment.............wife and I (70 years old) obtained vacinnation appointments last week then 3 days later they were canceled. Now we have to wait and try to reserve again.
Old 02-02-2021, 16:57   #270

Boat: Hunter 46

Made an estimate last week in the county I live in and found only 43% vacinnation-elgible people (front line health care, first responders, funeral workers, essental workers, 75+) got a vaccine. Lets say that trend continues..................any chance that vacinnation rate will slow the death rate?

Tags