Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 14:31   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Florida and Texas have the highest number of people vaccinated thus far (according to the Johns Hopkins tracking site). Most of the folks over 65 here in Florida I know have received at least their first vaccination and many their second. We are scheduled for the second shot next week.
Old 25-01-2021, 14:32   #17

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

I live in Massachusetts, I'm 58 with none of the identified conditions that would bump me to the head of the line. I can expect a vaccination no earlier than April.

Incidentally, our governor announced that starting Feb. 15, workers in the following sectors will be eligible to get the vaccination:

Early education and K-12, transit, grocery, utility, food and agriculture, restaurant and cafe workers
Food, beverages, consumer goods, retail, and food service
Meatpackers
Sanitation, public works, and public health
Food pantry workers and volunteers
Transit and transportation, including Uber and Lyft, rideshare services, and pharmacy delivery drivers; workers in the passenger ground transportation industry, such as food delivery and paratransit for people with disabilities; MassPort workers other than police
Convenience store workers
Water and wastewater utility staff
Court system workers, such as judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, clerks, who are not listed under first responders
Medical supply chain workers
Funeral directors and funeral workers
Shipping port and terminal workers
Old 25-01-2021, 14:43   #18

As far as I am aware, at least 40% of health care workers in the US have declined to be vaccinated. In addition, it appears that no vaccine is effective against the ZA mutation of the virus, which so far seems to be the most lethal variant. Most countries now enforcing a travel ban on South Africans. I don't now what will happen to tourists who are there now. Probably whatever isolation process their home country prescribes on returning.
Old 25-01-2021, 14:47   #19

Merck ends development of two potential COVID-19 vaccines

Merck is giving up on two potential COVID-19 vaccines following poor results in early-stage studies.

The drugmaker said Monday that it will focus instead on studying two possible treatments for the virus that also have yet to be approved by regulators. The company said its potential vaccines were well tolerated by patients, but they generated an inferior immune system response compared with other vaccines.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:07   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm 72 and in Portugal.. What vaccine.???
While the UK has vaccinated over 6 million people Brussels and the EU still hasn't got its sh1t together..
Fortunately my genes and immune system are top notch..
You got the tanqueray vaccine

Old 25-01-2021, 15:09   #21

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
As far as I am aware, at least 40% of health care workers in the US have declined to be vaccinated
Before dismissing that as entirely unfounded rumor, I'd like to know from where you gleaned that information.

I can state based on evidence at the local hospitals that virtually every physician, nurse, assistants and support staff have eagerly taken the vaccine and urge their families to do the same when the opportunity arises.

Furthermore, the myth that the mutation will render any vaccines in use or in development out of date may also stem from the use of the word “alarming” in a scientific paper describing the speed with which the virus can be passed. This speed, though, has nothing to do with the vaccines’ ability to stop the virus. There is no convincing data to suggest that the available vaccines will be any less effective against the newly detected COVID-19 strain.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:23   #22

Boat: Outremer 50S

Here's one article that says 40% at one Chicago hospital (and was surveyed before the vaccine was available):

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...9-vaccine.html

Here's a more recent survey that says 15%:

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/s...vid-19-vaccine

And here's one that says "up to 80% at some institutions":

https://www.businessinsider.com/covi...accines-2021-1

Based on a quick perusal of the interwebs I suspect I could find a survey and related news article to support just about any number that supported "my" viewpoint - except for maybe 0 or 100%.

Most frequently cited by mainstream media seems to be the Surgo study at 15%.

And remember, this lumps in firefighters/EMTs/nursing home orderlies along with doctors and nurses as healthcare professionals and all of those groups appear (from outward observation and only on the basis of second-hand reports) to be more reluctant than doctors and nurses.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:25   #23

I'm 72, my wife is 70, and we live in Arizona. The state has started a program to vaccinate those 65 and older. However, not vaccines or appointments are available for the general public in this age group for now. I was able to obtain an appointment in February only because I am a volunteer for the American Red Cross Blood Services.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:27   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Update: just got called by my medical provider and am scheduled for first dose this week and second three weeks later. This is in Southern California.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:31   #25

First and second already. Pfizer. Two weeks ago now for the second. I work in a hospital, so I was Tier 1B in the US. Think I got my first one, only 3 days or so after it went live. Only side effects for me were a sore arm for a day, similar to some flu shots. I'm hoping countries will ease quarantine restrictions for vaccinated people, both out of pragmatism and to encourage vaccination. Just over the half century mark here.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:41   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’m 44, so no vaccine yet. As soon as I can get one I will so we can try to return to normalcy.

And I’d also like to thank all you old guys for making sure the vaccine is safe.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:41   #27

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Florida and Texas have the highest number of people vaccinated thus far...

FWIW, CDC shows different results. My wife and I got the Moderna vaccine Saturday, 1/23; as early as allowed. No issues other than a slightly sore arm the next day, although one sailor I know seriously swears that the alien technology microchips in the vaccine will now take over my mind...

The CNMI is considered a case study in terms of covid-19 response. Registration is online, fast and reliable, vaccination is the same or next day from registration, and the staff are very professional, compassionate and considerate. We were done in less than an hour with no wait other than the requisite observation period.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:44   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
it appears that no vaccine is effective against the ZA mutation of the virus, which so far seems to be the most lethal variant.
I've seen NO evidence reported saying this. Indeed perhaps the opposite. If you're going to make such statements, you should cite your source(s).
Old 25-01-2021, 15:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You got the tanqueray vaccine

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 25-01-2021, 15:47   #30

Quote:
As far as I am aware, at least 40% of health care workers in the US have declined to be vaccinated. In addition, it appears that no vaccine is effective against the ZA mutation of the virus, which so far seems to be the most lethal variant. Most countries now enforcing a travel ban on South Africans. I don't now what will happen to tourists who are there now. Probably whatever isolation process their home country prescribes on returning.
Moderna and Pfizer both appear to be effective against the South African mutation. Moderna is working on a booster for the SA variant.

https://www.ft.com/content/943c8ca9-...4-b569a1e123b8

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...0fQcB_OwJ-eofY

Realize health care workers reflect a diverse educational and political background. That's explains the lower uptake among health care workers more than any lack of safety or efficacy for the vaccine. In my department, only one employee abstained, but she has a rare condition that she's worried could be triggered by it, and that would not have been represented in the clinical trials. Generally, the more educated the staff member, and the more they understand how the vaccine actually works, the more likely they will take it. There are some valid reasons not to take it, but most of the reasons given seem to be based on ignorance or misinformation videos on Facebook.

Tags