Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 13:39   #301

Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Getting back to the important issues of vaccination.

So, can you drink alcohol after you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

There’s no official government recommendation on this, but the experts we talked to say it’s not really something to worry about, within reason. Research on both the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines didn’t require trial participants to avoid alcohol, and their findings didn’t mention people having issues after drinking.

“There is no evidence that alcohol reduces the formation of antibodies,” says Richard Watkins, M.D., an infectious disease physician and a professor of internal medicine at the Northeast Ohio Medical. However, he does recommend watching your alcohol intake in the days after getting vaccinated for a different reason. Some people may experience flu-like side effects like a fever, chills, fatigue, and a headache and “being intoxicated or hungover will make things less pleasant,” he says.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/drin...170800472.html

Old 04-02-2021, 14:42   #302

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. it looks like the EU will be taking the Vaccine Passport route.. along with the UK.
No surprise there. I'm sure it's going to be part of the new normal as we all stagger out of this apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Getting back to the important issues of vaccination.

So, can you drink alcohol after you get the COVID-19 vaccine?
There’s no official government recommendation on this, but the experts we talked to say it’s not really something to worry about, within reason.
Geeze you had me in a panic there Montanan. I'd hate to have to choose between my daily beers and getting the jab.
Cheers!
Old 04-02-2021, 14:50   #303

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

LA County is opening more vaccination centers to service "underserved communities".
Unfortunately, when trying to get an appointment at an exiting one, you get
Quote:
No appointments are available, we can’t schedule your COVID-19 vaccination yet.

This the state that several billion $$ unemployment payments to inmates in prisons in other states
Old 04-02-2021, 14:58   #304

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

I've been fortunate enough to get my second dose of the Moderna vaccine. My arm was quite sore the night after, but other than that, no issues.

Alaska has been leading the US states in the % of the population vaccinated. See How is Alaska leading the nation in vaccinating residents? With boats, ferries, planes and snowmobiles for some reasons why we have done better. We are also lucky that we've overall had a lower incidence of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. A younger average population, and geographic isolation probably has something to do with that. Also, Alaska initiated a testing requirement for travelers fairly early on. We've also had lockdowns/restrictions on various businesses and events. This has been controversial, but seem to have helped.

Our State Medical Officer, Dr Anne Zinc has done an awesome job of navigating the sometimes perilous passage between medical science and politics. We are lucky to have her. Her Facebook Page has lots of good stuff.
Old 04-02-2021, 15:31   #305

Geeze you had me in a panic there Montanan. I'd hate to have to choose between my daily beers and getting the jab.
Cheers! [/QUOTE]

Mike I was just clarifying the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You said you were sick.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	231917  
Old 04-02-2021, 15:47   #306

Mixers, anyone?

Patients taking part in a clinical trial launched Thursday in the United Kingdom will receive different vaccines for their first and second doses: the vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca, followed by the one from Pfizer and BioNTech, or vice versa.

The U.K.'s Department of Health said it was the first study of its kind — normally patients receive two doses of the same vaccine — and will help determine the safety of mixing doses across different groups and with a variety of different time intervals.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/n...first-n1256683

Old 04-02-2021, 16:08   #307

Boat: Discovery 55

I am fairly convinced that the Astra Zenneca vaccine is being sledged by the Europeans for political reasons and not medical reasons. The UK left the EU and the EU is keen to punish the UK. In addition the EU's joint procurement programme has descended into a fiasco. To make matters worse both the UK and Trumps America ordered loads of vaccine very early while the EU were picking their noses. The the French got even more angry because they pushed the EU to buy Sanofil and it does not work and the Oxford vaccine does.

The is all about sour grapes and it is putting their own populations at risk because people will die because they decided not to vaccinate them.

The Astra Zenneca has more orders for its vaccine than any other vaccines on the planet.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:21   #308

Quote:
So.. it looks like the EU will be taking the Vaccine Passport route.. along with the UK.
For the first couple years as the worldwide rollout gets taken care of...yes, it will at a minimum make it easier to enter a country and some counties will make it mandatory.

But once everything opens back up, I expect countries to fairly quickly stop worrying about it. For those couple years, it's likely going to be a moving target.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:08   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reading View Post
... The UK left the EU and the EU is keen to punish the UK. In addition the EU's joint procurement programme has descended into a fiasco. To make matters worse both the UK and Trumps America ordered loads of vaccine very early while the EU were picking their noses. The the French got even more angry because they pushed the EU to buy Sanofil and it does not work and the Oxford vaccine does.

The is all about sour grapes and it is putting their own populations at risk because people will die because they decided not to vaccinate them.
Yep, from my reading of EU papers it looked very vindictive and to enact Article 16 was a ...... Up. Unreal that the top level of the EU pulled that trigger. Where/Are they so blind in their hatred of the UK, and fearful that other countries might follow the UK lead, that they did not even consider the consequences of their actions? The question is now that they pushed the Article 16 button, what will be the political fallout. Or worse.

Ireland and Northern Ireland are a flash point. The major fires of The Troubles have been dampened, but the embers are still in place just waiting for fuel. Triggering Article 16 was extremely dangerous. Hopefully, this will just go way but inspectors being pulled from the ports due to threats in NI is not a good sign.

Later,
Dan
Old 06-02-2021, 07:45   #310

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

interesting ? reading

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...srnd=prognosis
Old 07-02-2021, 04:32   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Interesting, but (perhaps?) irrelevant.
In context (as previously reported on CF): Moderna's coronavirus vaccine was designed in just 2 days, so not a whole lot of unnecessary delay.

“... On January 11, researchers from China published the genetic sequence of the coronavirus. Two days later, Moderna's team and NIH scientists had finalized the targeted genetic sequence they would use in the vaccine.
... By February 24, Moderna had shipped its first vaccine batches to NIH scientists in Bethesda, Maryland. Researchers administered the first dose on March 16 in Seattle, Washi
ngton. That launched the first clinical trial of any coronavirus vaccine ...”
More https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3330315

Old 07-02-2021, 06:21   #312
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

UK has decided against Covid Passports regarding them as Discrimination.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 07-02-2021, 06:26   #313
CLOD

Boat: none

I hope no cruiser is making plans that may be impacted by Corvid by getting info from a forum!
Old 07-02-2021, 06:42   #314
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Nor any other plans.. else I'd never have taken up deliveries..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 07-02-2021, 07:21   #315

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
UK has decided against Covid Passports regarding them as Discrimination.
Interesting logic.

And not very meaningful if the destination country requires them.

I personally am not against showing a paper proof if vaccine.

I am very skeptical of the massive data base approach.

Interesting to see how the is all unwinds.

Tags