Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2021, 11:10   #406

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

If anything the shorter infectious period and lower level of infectiousness should reduce the transmission.

s.
That’s supposition. Neither has been established
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19   #407
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Mac and Merk doing a 180 turn as latest evidence shows both AstraZeneca and Pfizer show 80‰ efficacy after a single jab..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22   #408

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

First shot today
Old 02-03-2021, 11:46   #409

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

In my 70s and got my 2nd Pfizer shot a couple weeks ago. Only issues I had was 1st shot-slight headache, 2nd shot-mild gas pains. Seems worth the trouble for a high likelihood of enjoying boating/liveaboard a few more years.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:09   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
That’s supposition. Neither has been established
If you are looking for proven fact via large scale, double blind study with a 95% confidence interval, blah, blah, blah...technically you are correct. We don't have that level of proof.

But you were the one who led us down this rabbit hole and your theory that the vaccine will increase the infection rate was pure supposition with nothing to support it and much to go against it.

On the other hand, the idea that it should reduce or at least not increase the infection rate:
- Consistent with similar experience with other vaccines and viruses.
- Consistent with early data obtained so far.

While technically possible that your theory is correct....it's incredibly unlikely.
Old 02-03-2021, 13:05   #411

Boat: Tayana 47

My wife is a outpatient surgery nurse at a local hospital and she got her second Moderna jab almost 3 weeks ago. But she still is required to be periodically Covid tested and since she visited her out of state sister last weekend she must have a negative test result before returning to work. It seems to me that by the time she goes back to work later this week, there’s almost a 0% chance she could spread Covid to anyone. If protocols such as the repeated testing required of her weren’t in place, the idea that vaccinated healthcare workers could be an additional or greater pathway to spreading Covid infection might have merit, but with the lower potential for infection to multiply within her body, combined with the repeated testing she must undergo, I’d say her potential for inadvertently spreading the virus to someone is at the lowest ebb since Covid began to exist. BTW, I’m the only other one in her household and I got the second Pfizer jab today so I’m pretty unlikely to be a source of her contracting CV too.
Old 02-03-2021, 13:49   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

But you were the one who led us down this rabbit hole and your theory that the vaccine will increase the infection rate was pure supposition with nothing to support it and much to go against it.
Let’s review.

I didn’t lead us down anywhere - Rather, I simply responded to a comment by someone else about the general issue which elicited your rant. Add some judgmental attitude about an opinion which differs from yours and here we are.

Have a nice evening.
Old 02-03-2021, 13:53   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
My wife is a outpatient surgery nurse at a local hospital and she got her second Moderna jab almost 3 weeks ago. But she still is required to be periodically Covid tested and since she visited her out of state sister last weekend she must have a negative test result before returning to work. It seems to me that by the time she goes back to work later this week, there’s almost a 0% chance she could spread Covid to anyone. If protocols such as the repeated testing required of her weren’t in place, the idea that vaccinated healthcare workers could be an additional or greater pathway to spreading Covid infection might have merit, but with the lower potential for infection to multiply within her body, combined with the repeated testing she must undergo, I’d say her potential for inadvertently spreading the virus to someone is at the lowest ebb since Covid began to exist. BTW, I’m the only other one in her household and I got the second Pfizer jab today so I’m pretty unlikely to be a source of her contracting CV too.
The requirement that she be tested frequently indicates someone in the hospital also recognizes the potential for asymptomatic infection by vaccinated people is real. It’s the testing which protects her patients from her, not her vaccination.
Old 02-03-2021, 15:29   #414

Boat: Southerly 57

NC - got first shot yesterday. Pfizer. No issues.
Old 02-03-2021, 15:52   #415

President Joe Biden said Tuesday the U.S. expects to take delivery of enough coronavirus vaccine for all adults by the end of May — two months earlier than anticipated
Despite the stepped-up pace of vaccine production, the work of inoculating Americans could extend well into the summer, officials said, depending both on the government’s capacity to deliver doses and Americans’ willingness to roll up their sleeves.

Biden’s announcements quickly raised expectations for when the nation could safely emerge from the pandemic with the promise of speedier vaccinations, but even as he expressed optimism, Biden quickly tempered the outlook for a return to life as it was before the virus hit.

“I’ve been cautioned not to give an answer to that because we don’t know for sure,” Biden said, before saying his hope for a return to normal was sometime before “this time next year.”
Old 02-03-2021, 16:04   #416

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
The requirement that she be tested frequently indicates someone in the hospital also recognizes the potential for asymptomatic infection by vaccinated people is real. It’s the testing which protects her patients from her, not her vaccination.

Well that’s one opinion but there could be other reasons.
Old 02-03-2021, 16:45   #417

Quote:

Not exactly. Both the testing and her vaccination protects her from infecting others. But I would argue that the vaccination plays the greater role because it’s 24/7 and it means that she could only have a minimal infection in her body. Testing is good but it’s only a snapshot and someone could be exposed a few hours prior to a test but not showing an infection yet, or could be infected just after the test. But the real point is that it’s common for healthcare workers, both before and after vaccination to be tested and the combination of testing/vaccination pretty well ensure that healthcare workers are less of a covid threat than almost anyone you might interact with.
Old 02-03-2021, 18:24   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Not exactly. Both the testing and her vaccination protects her from infecting others. But I would argue that the vaccination plays the greater role because it’s 24/7 and it means that she could only have a minimal infection in her body. Testing is good but it’s only a snapshot and someone could be exposed a few hours prior to a test but not showing an infection yet, or could be infected just after the test. But the real point is that it’s common for healthcare workers, both before and after vaccination to be tested and the combination of testing/vaccination pretty well ensure that healthcare workers are less of a covid threat than almost anyone you might interact with.
Ive found no evidence suggestion vaccinated people are incapable or less likely to transmit the virus but 100% of those who test negative are...

similarly, 100% of people vaccinated can also transmit the virus 100% of the time if infected.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:33   #419

Quote:
Ive found no evidence suggestion vaccinated people are incapable or less likely to transmit the virus but 100% of those who test negative are...

similarly, 100% of people vaccinated can also transmit the virus 100% of the time if infected.

Yes, they ‘can’ but it’s much less likely because the way I understand it is they have much less virus in them that they could shed. In a vaccinated person they may have.a small infection on their mucus membranes but their lungs are not full of it and spewing it out with every breath. You make it sound like you’ve engaged in firsthand research but all either of us has done is to read what’s on the Internet and in my case what the doctors where my wife works have to say about it. Neither of us is a immunology researcher.

But from AAMC.org;

Myth #2: The vaccines don’t really work that well — they don’t reduce virus transmission.
Most experts have been urging people to continue following public health guidelines, including masking and social distancing, even after they’ve been fully vaccinated with two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — and after enough time has passed for those vaccinations to have taken effect (generally two weeks).
The reason for this recommendation is because while the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been shown to have 95% efficacy against illness (and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 85% protective against severe disease), the clinical trials were not designed to test whether any of the trial participants contracted COVID-19 but showed no symptoms.
“The experts are saying that the vaccines do not reduce transmission, but that is an inaccurate statement,” Gandhi says. “Vaccines have always decreased transmission. What they should be saying is that the clinical trials were not designed to test for asymptomatic infection, but there is every biological reason in the world to believe that they will reduce asymptomatic transmission.”
There is already evidence to support this, she says. First, when the vaccines were studied in macaque monkeys (during preclinical testing), they did eliminate asymptomatic infection — researchers swabbed the vaccinated macaques’ noses and found little or no virus. Second, the types of antibodies that are stimulated by most systemic vaccines (IgG and IgA) do tend to block viral infection in the nose (and no viral load in the nose most likely translates to no transmission). Finally, when monoclonal antibodies are given to COVID-19 patients, those antibodies reduce the viral load throughout the respiratory tract, including the nose.
The most convincing evidence, though, is just starting to emerge among real-world data. In Israel, where more than 90% of those age 60 and over have been vaccinated, “cases have plummeted in this population,” Gandhi notes. “Not just hospitalizations, which we expected, but cases [asymptomatic infection] as well.” Moreover, data from vaccinated health care workers recently published in the Lancet and preprint servers show reduced rates of asymptomatic infection and low viral loads in the nose when swabbing after vaccination.
“I think that in a few months, we are going to be able to say with certainty that these vaccines not only protect you, they also protect those around you,” Ranney says.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:29   #420

Quote:
More likely, they want to keep it simple and all staff get tested. That way they don't have to keep track of who needs tests and who doesn't...everyone gets tested.

Also, the first two vaccines are only 95% effective...so it doesn't eliminate all possibility of infection...just dramatically reduces it. But when dealing with high risk patients, they want to be extra careful even if her chance of spreading it is drastically lower.

So no, it doesn't prove anything that they are still testing staff.

PS: Positive news, the average is up to 1.95mil doses per day.

Tags