Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 06:07   #481
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
... I did a little searching online and wasn't coming up with anything giving actual statistics for brazilian hospitalizations...
“COVID-19 hospitalizations in Brazil’s Unified Health System (SUS)”
“... 89,405 hospitalizations were observed, of which 24.4% resulted in death. COVID-19 patients hospitalized in the SUS were predominantly male (56.5%) with a mean age of 58.9 years ...
... Of the total number of hospitalizations, 22.6% reported ICU use. The odds on in-hospital death were 16.8% higher among men than among women and increased with age ...”
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0243126

“Characterisation of the first 250 000 hospital admissions for COVID-19 in Brazil: a retrospective analysis of nationwide data”
“... Between Feb 16 and Aug 15, 2020, 254 288 patients with RT-qPCR-confirmed COVID-19 were admitted to hospital and registered in SIVEP-Gripe. The mean age of patients was 60 (SD 17) years, 119 657 (47%) of 254 288 were aged younger than 60 years, 143 521 (56%) of 254 243 were male, and 14 979 (16%) of 90 829 had no comorbidities ...”
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...560-9/fulltext

Old 11-03-2021, 06:18   #482

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“COVID-19 hospitalizations in Brazil’s Unified Health System (SUS)”
“... 89,405 hospitalizations were observed, of which 24.4% resulted in death. COVID-19 patients hospitalized in the SUS were predominantly male (56.5%) with a mean age of 58.9 years ...
... Of the total number of hospitalizations, 22.6% reported ICU use. The odds on in-hospital death were 16.8% higher among men than among women and increased with age ...”
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0243126

“Characterisation of the first 250 000 hospital admissions for COVID-19 in Brazil: a retrospective analysis of nationwide data”
“... Between Feb 16 and Aug 15, 2020, 254 288 patients with RT-qPCR-confirmed COVID-19 were admitted to hospital and registered in SIVEP-Gripe. The mean age of patients was 60 (SD 17) years, 119 657 (47%) of 254 288 were aged younger than 60 years, 143 521 (56%) of 254 243 were male, and 14 979 (16%) of 90 829 had no comorbidities ...”
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...560-9/fulltext
Thanks Gord. Good data, but it would help to get a snapshot of current hospitalizations. What is alarming is that current ICU patients are younger than earlier in the pandemic. Also, Brazil is going through the worst moment of the pandemic right now- breaking daily death and hospitalization records. Certainly this new strain is much more contagious (and perhaps more deadly). The country has only vaccinated about 4% of the population, so it will be a while before we see any improvements. Sadly, the current anti-science president hasn't done much on the vaccination front...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:07   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
I'll see if I can find something in English, but I've been getting this information on the news and in the papers here. I don't know the exact ratio of younger people. The media uses "good portion" to mean that the percentage is significantly higher this time due to the new variant. From one article:

"Before, ICU patients were elderly and with chronic diseases, which we call comorbidities. Today, it is 60% younger, aged 30 to 50, with no previous disease. And the time they stay in the ICU is longer. We used to have an average of 7 to 10 days of hospitalization, now it's at least 14 to 17 days of hospitalization in the ICU”

https://g1.globo.com/pr/campos-gerai...-49-anos.ghtml

https://www.cnnbrasil.com.br/saude/2...s-por-covid-19

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equili...os-de-sp.shtml

A few reports in English on the current Covid surge:

The good news is that the Brazilian health authority has just announced that the Cornovac vaccine is effective against the P1 variant. It seems that others are too.

I should get a vaccine in July when they vaccinate the 29-59 age group, according to the schedule here. Which one remains to be seen, but I'm happy with any vaccine.
Good info and easy enough to read with google translate (though one had a pay wall so I couldn't read it)

They mentioned the age dropping but then included the following toward the end, which implies it's still heavily weighted toward the elderly:
Emergency care: average age is 63 years, with a minimum age of 23 and a maximum of 82 years;
General ICU: average age is 61 years, with a minimum age of 39 and a maximum age of 83 years;
Covid-19 clinical beds: average age is 60 years, with a minimum age of 24 and a maximum of 88 years;
General clinical beds: average age is 48 years, with a minimum age of 31 and a maximum of 63 years.

For reference, I looked it up and only around 19% of the population in Brazil is over 55, so if the average age of hospitalizations is in the 60's, that implies it's still many times worse for the elderly.

Not that changes should be ignored but they need context of sound facts before we panic. Unfortunately, the media (and sometimes health officials) often seems to be trying to induce panic by presenting a story as a worst case scenario only to add the real fact (if they do at all) towards the end in a very downplayed manner.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:20   #484

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Good info and easy enough to read with google translate (though one had a pay wall so I couldn't read it)

They mentioned the age dropping but then included the following toward the end, which implies it's still heavily weighted toward the elderly:
Emergency care: average age is 63 years, with a minimum age of 23 and a maximum of 82 years;
General ICU: average age is 61 years, with a minimum age of 39 and a maximum age of 83 years;
Covid-19 clinical beds: average age is 60 years, with a minimum age of 24 and a maximum of 88 years;
General clinical beds: average age is 48 years, with a minimum age of 31 and a maximum of 63 years.

For reference, I looked it up and only around 19% of the population in Brazil is over 55, so if the average age of hospitalizations is in the 60's, that implies it's still many times worse for the elderly.

Not that changes should be ignored but they need context of sound facts before we panic. Unfortunately, the media (and sometimes health officials) often seems to be trying to induce panic by presenting a story as a worst case scenario only to add the real fact (if they do at all) towards the end in a very downplayed manner.
No doubt there are a number of factors involved. Older people here are staying in, while younger ("immortal") people are going out and socializing. This certainly helps to account for the decrease in average age in hospitals. What is worrisome is that a lot of these younger people are dying. There does seem to be something different about this new strain- it seems to be more lethal, and not just for the elderly.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:46   #485

Boat: Hunter 46

These U.S. statistics suggest herd immunity, based on 85% of the population vaccinated or infected, is around the corner.

59.4 million of the US population are vaccinated with at least one shot. Based on the data from these sources there are 54 million 65+ year old, 32 million front line workers plus 95.1 million who have had Covid in a population of 328 million. That leads me to a few observations: 1) 69% (59.4/(54+32) of vaccine-eligible folks got vaccinated to date, 2) 47% (59.4+95.1)/328 of the population has immunity, 3) 38% or 124.6 million (328 x 38%) more vaccinations or positive infections are required for the US to achieve herd immunity.

https://cepr.net/wp-content/uploads/...ne-Workers.pdf
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-sex-and-age/
https://covid19-projections.com/?cam...-updated-daily
Old 11-03-2021, 13:35   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I guess The Fast Food, Processed Food and the Sugar industry have a lot to answer for - But its the choice of those who consume ultimately or maybe it's not? Is it possible that people really just do not understand? Maybe education is lacking in this area as its too profitable to educate otherwise? Seems like common sense to me though.
I agree it is on people to watch what they eat, but having said that, have you read the food labels to see what is in the food we buy? It is VERY difficult to find food WITHOUT High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) being added. SAUSAGES have HFCS for goodness sake. It can be impossible to find food without added HFCS sometimes. And food one would not expect to have added carbs, much less HFCS.

Years ago, we were on a boat cruising Scotland and Ireland. We were eating in a restaurant and the boat owner wanted a Gin and Tonic but was concerned there would be HFCS in the tonic. We were talking about this when the waiter showed up so we asked the waiter. Said waiter looked at us like we were from Mars.

The boat owner got the G&T, and low and behold, the tonic was made in Scotland and had NO HFCS. When I got back to the states, I checked the same brand of tonic water, and yep, it had HFCS.

We have been overseas three times. On the trips we lost weight, in spite of our eating like pigs, and the only thing we can think was the cause of the weight loss, was that we were not eating foods with HFCS. The last trip we were eating prepared food from Irish grocery stores, something we would not do at home. However, we did not loose as much weight on that trip, and I blame the chips and stout, but I was less stout when I got back home, I just should have been less stout. The thing is, we do not really eat out that much, nor eat much processed food, but I think the little we do eat, is not good for us, or at least me.

When I was in high school, I was bused for desegregation purposes to a school in the city. I would think most people in the US would know what I am talking about, but for those outside the US, there were court orders decades ago in some cities across the US, to bus kids based on race from one school to another. This was to provide a magic mix of kids based on race that was supposed to improve learning. Not sure it did, but it surely was educational to me.

One of the out of school lessons I learned was about nutrition. We had a class about nutrition back then that told us what to eat and not eat.

After school was over, we had to wait for our bus to get to our school. This made for a long day, since the bus ride was a good hour from home to the city school. There was public housing around the school and sometimes we would go to the grocery store in the housing complex while we waited for the bus. I would see people using food stamps to buy potato chips, sodas, candy, etc. They were not buying good food but trash food. Even as a kid I knew they should be buying better quality food. Now, they had gone to the same school system I was attending, and a required class was about proper eating and exercise. The education was there, but just because one was given knowledge, does not mean one would use it....

Later,
Dan
Old 11-03-2021, 15:05   #487

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
...............It is VERY difficult to find food WITHOUT High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) being added...........We have been overseas three times. On the trips we lost weight, in spite of our eating like pigs, and the only thing we can think was the cause of the weight loss, was that we were not eating foods with HFCS............
While off the OP's topic, we lived in Czechoslovakia for 1 year, Scotland for 3 years and just returned to the U.S. from Wales after 3 years and never (or rarely) ate foods with HFCS that you find listed in the link below. We were able to easily purchas/cook HFCS-free food and did not loose weight. So there is still hope you can make another overseas trip and do the same.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_5
Old 12-03-2021, 18:55   #488

More than 101 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered in the United States, according to data published Friday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The tally includes doses administered since the first shot on December 14, 2020.

More than 2.9 million more doses were reported administered since yesterday, marking a new daily record. The seven-day average of reported doses administered is about 2.3 million.

Overall, the CDC reports that 101,128,005 doses have been administered – about 76% of the 133,337,525 doses delivered.

More than 1 in 10 people in the US – about 35 million people – are now fully vaccinated, and about 1 in 5 people – nearly 66 million people – have received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
Old 12-03-2021, 19:29   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think the waist less than inseam is a bit extreme but I do agree that obesity is a major problem in the US. My waist and inseam are about equal at 34, depending on which brand of jeans I’m wearing, but according to some tables, at 73” and 195# I’m on the verge of being considered ‘overweight’ despite having exercised my whole life and not ever even come close to having dunlaps disease. Just trying to point out that, while I agree with the overall theme, some of the overweight category boundaries and guidelines seem a bit arbitrary.

30 years ago. a good friend who’s an ER doc told me that literally about 90% of patients he saw had issues related to obesity, smoking, or alcohol overuse. Now, I assume he would probably add drug addiction. Almost all of those with health issues have made the choice to overeat, smoke, drink excessively, or inappropriately use drugs despite knowing it’s very bad for their health. If people stopped doing those 4 things, it would change everything about our healthcare system, including its overall cost to those of us who take better care of ourselves.

But perhaps “overeat” isn’t the right word because many people who can’t seem to control their weight aren’t constantly stuffing themselves with huge amounts of food. Rather, it’s what they are choosing to eat that’s most of the problem. Starting off the day with even a moderate portion of a high carb, sugary cereal or bagel or pastry and sweetened coffee gives them a little sugar high that makes them feel alert, but it soon wears off and by mid morning they “need” a little snack (usually carb based) and they end up spending all day on that roller coaster, subconsciously chasing a sugar high that began with breakfast. They see it as normal and inevitable because they have a lot of company and even if they go to the gym, they can’t seem to get rid of those extra pounds. Europeans seem to have much better breakfast habits that are less carb/sugar based and that sets the tone for their whole day and the result is that they are a lot less round.

As you point out above, being obese makes us vulnerable to all sorts of deadly diseases, Covid just one more on a very long list. I realize that some people in poverty don’t have access to healthier food, but the vast majority of Americans do, and yet they continue to regularly choose carb based foods, sugary drinks and sugary “healthy” fruit juices, and wonder why their waist size keeps increasing. Unfortunately I don’t see this trend reversing itself anytime soon because this sort of diet is so ingrained in our culture and many in the US see it as being normal to gain a few more pounds every year.
Body mass index (BMI) is an index widely used to define obesity. BMI does not always accurately indicate the degree of fatness. The degree of central fat distribution may be more closely tied to metabolic risks than BMI. Measurement of the degree of central fat distribution thus appears to be important for the early detection of subsequent health risks, even among those of normal weight. Waist-to-height ratio (Waist / Height) corresponds better to metabolic risk than BMI.

How to interpret Your Waist-to-Height Ratio

MEN

Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
Ratio 35 to 43: Extremely slim
Ratio 43 to 46: Slender and Healthy
Ratio 46 and 53: Healthy, Normal Weight
Ratio 53 to 58: Overweight
Ratio 58 to 63: Extremely Overweight/Obese
Ratio over 63: Highly Obese

WOMEN

Ratio less than 35: Abnormally Slim to Underweight
Ratio 35 - 42: Extremely Slim
Ratio 42 to 46: Slender and Healthy
Ratio 46 to 49: Healthy, Normal Weight
Ratio 49 to 54: Overweight
Ratio 54 to 58: Seriously Overweight
Ratio over 58: Highly Obese

So my waist is 32 inches and my height is 72 inches [6 feet] which makes my Waist to Height ratio - 44.44 Slender and Healthy

If my waist was 33 inches I would have a ratio of 46 which would mean that I was at the light range of Healthy, Normal Weight.

A year ago I noted that my 32 inch waist pants were tight and I was more comfortable in a 33 inch waist pants but I recognized where that was leading so got busy on major hard work projects and adjusted my diet and reverted back to being comfortable again in my 32 jeans. Albeit winter and Covid isolation in Montana has induced a four pound gain and it sits right at my waist line; today's goal to have my six pack abs back within four to six weeks, in time for our first sailing day of the season that we often make as our way of celebrating my birthday, May 2nd, will be my 64th. Don't want to have a Dad Bod, nor a Father Figure.

dad bod

NOUN
informal

a male physique that is relatively slim but not lean or toned.

My wife and I will receive our second Moderna Covid vaccine jab in 10 days.

All the best, stay safe, stay healthy.
Old 13-03-2021, 10:24   #490

Opinion article: The backlash against Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine is real and risky — here’s exactly how to make the rollout a success.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/9bfe...t-johnson.html

Very interesting read and a complex subject matter. There be a somewhat similar issue with the roll out of the AstraZeneca vaccine with it perceived lower efficacy and now with some countries halting its administration due to a few cases of blood clots which need to be investigated as to if the blood clots were associated with the vaccine, or perhaps a batch of the vaccine, or just a statistical anomaly and unrelated to the vaccine. Perception is a reality; the perception may be accurate or inaccurate.
Old 15-03-2021, 09:46   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
While off the OP's topic, we lived in Czechoslovakia for 1 year, Scotland for 3 years and just returned to the U.S. from Wales after 3 years and never (or rarely) ate foods with HFCS that you find listed in the link below. We were able to easily purchas/cook HFCS-free food and did not loose weight. So there is still hope you can make another overseas trip and do the same.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_5
We can find HFCS free food in the US, but one REALLY has to read the labels. It is shocking where you can find HFCS. Do hot dogs need HFCS? Really?

We were amazed at the food quality we found in Ireland even in the itty bitty stores they call grocery stores. The fresh food was pretty good and often cheaper than we have had home. Go figure. The best strawberries I have ever eaten were bought in a gas station in Ireland. I have been to many a You Pick It Farm in the US and the strawberries picked in the field were nothing compared to the Irish strawberry. Then there were the potatoes.

Keeping your BMI under control keeps one away from needing the doctors.

Later,
Dan
Old 15-03-2021, 10:05   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
More than 101 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered in the United States, according to data published Friday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The tally includes doses administered since the first shot on December 14, 2020.

More than 2.9 million more doses were reported administered since yesterday, marking a new daily record. The seven-day average of reported doses administered is about 2.3 million.

Overall, the CDC reports that 101,128,005 doses have been administered – about 76% of the 133,337,525 doses delivered.

More than 1 in 10 people in the US – about 35 million people – are now fully vaccinated, and about 1 in 5 people – nearly 66 million people – have received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/
Based on the above estimates, around 37% of the US population has immunity (via infection or vaccination) and we are gaining a percentage point every 2-3 days.

Europe has finally broken the million/day and are up at 1.25m/day and climbing.

Globally 9.25mil/day with 1/3 of a billion doses administered.

Watching closely to as the numbers really start become substantial to see if the infections and deaths track vaccinations (obviously with a delay as immunity isn't immediate)
Old 15-03-2021, 10:22   #493

My chum got inoculated.

As a manchurian candidate, he is awaiting orders.
Old 15-03-2021, 12:10   #494
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

An elite "pro-vaccine" vaccine development scientist sounds an alarm to his fellow scientists (an open letter one week ago) and the world about the mass covid vaccine program; just after the 13:30 time mark he explains how highly virulent strains are being promoted while vast numbers of people are having their natural immune response blocked (24:00) and not just for covid. You have been warned...

Old 15-03-2021, 13:00   #495
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

For further information, Dell Bigtree- former producer of the tv show "The Doctors" (labeled an "anti-vaxxer" by Big Pharma) clearly explains the recent CDC data showing masks and lockdowns are completely ineffective and calling the Bossche interview "the most significant interview in human history." He takes an even deeper dive into the phenomenon 'antibody dependent enhancement.'

https://www.bitchute.com/video/BGtSE3OfO2wv/

Tags