Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 12:49   #766

Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
See my thoughts embedded above.
Hospital staff is one of those special cases I mentioned. Prior to covid, did she complain about having to wear masks? For most businesses, it's simply not going to be a big deal.

Absences are unlikely for most if the vaccines are successful and even if they get it between now and then it's a one time thing.

Life insurance could but only after clearly documenting the risk and costs...then running it thru the govt overshight boards...by the time they get done with that covid is likely to be a non-issue. Health care faces similar hurdles and as shown by the flu vaccine, it's not an issue they want to fight.

Keep in mind, the primary danger from covid is it's novel nature. Our bodies have never dealt with it, so everyone is susceptible. If the vaccines don't eliminate it and we get repeated variants similar to the flu, it will likely be similar to the flu. I know people freak out about comparison to the flu but this is the truth.
Old 05-04-2021, 13:50   #767

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A very good post, but I just wanted to point out that just about everywhere, including US, the vaccine distribution is being done as if within a government "single-payer" health system: the government did the buying, arranged the distribution, organized (or delegated) the injecting, and is footing the bill.

So in that regard, the types of different health systems are almost irrelevant when it comes to the actual vaccination. As you point out, making prudent purchases early has made the difference in what countries are getting vaccinated first. Given how hard they've been impacted, it only makes sense that the UK and US made sure that they got vaccines quickly. It's going to save many lives, and get them back to normal faster.

I expect that most of the first world will have completed at least first shots to their citizens (that want them) by July, and hopefully efforts will shortly swing to the rest of the world to vaccinate them too.
Yes, but as a resident of the EU I'm not too pleased with the fumble at the EU level of the acquisition. It seems to me that this is what happens when you institutionalize the "precautionary principle" into a kind of pathological bureaucratic aversion to risk. There is no aspect of human life where you can just blindly avoid risk and reach optimal outcomes. Almost all optimal outcomes require taking some risk.

Imagine if you tried to run a military campaign based on the precautionary principle. Well, this situation was very much like a military campaign -- lots of people are going to die in any case, so you'd better be ready for some risks and some causalties in order to reach the optimal result, which is victory with the least possible (not none) casualties. Operation Warp Speed was run by a brilliant pharma executive (Moncef Mohamed Slaoui) with an Army General (General Gustav Perna) at his right hand, and not just any Army general -- the former Director of Logistics for the U.S. forces in Iraq. THOSE are EXACTLY the kind of people you want running something like this, NOT a committee of Eurocrats. When every day means tens of thousands of deaths and billions of dollars of economic output, you need bold, decisive, intelligently risk-taking, and highly organized action -- just like in a military campaign. Slaoui and Perna deserve medals in my opinion.

I hope we will study this deeply when it's all over.

I didn't think much of it and wasn't much conscious of Operation Warp Speed during last year; now I'm starting to feel some awe for it as a singularly outstanding iniative which has achieved outstanding results based on really intelligent risk-taking which hugely paid off.

I'm sure books will be written about it in coming years.

And why did the incoming administration fire Moncef Mohamed Slaoui, the mastermind of Operation Warp Speed?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 05-04-2021, 14:00   #768

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, but as a resident of the EU I'm not too pleased with the fumble at the EU level of the acquisition. It seems to me that this is what happens when you institutionalize the "precautionary principle" into a kind of pathological bureaucratic aversion to risk. There is no aspect of human life where you can just blindly avoid risk and reach optimal outcomes. Almost all optimal outcomes require taking some risk.

Imagine if you tried to run a military campaign based on the precautionary principle. Well, this situation was very much like a military campaign -- lots of people are going to die in any case, so you'd better be ready for some risks and some causalties in order to reach the optimal result, which is victory with the least possible (not none) casualties. Operation Warp Speed was run by a brilliant pharma executive (Moncef Mohamed Slaoui) with administrative help from an Army General (General Gustav Perna) who was Director of Logistics for the U.S. forces in Iraq. THAT is EXACTLY the kind of people you want running something like this, NOT a committee of Eurocrats. When every day means tens of thousands of deaths and billions of dollars of economic output, you need bold, decisive, intelligently risk-taking, and highly organized action -- just like in a military campaign. Slaoui and Perna deserve medals in my opinion.

I hope we will study this deeply when it's all over.

I didn't think much of it and wasn't much conscious of Operation Warp Speed during last year; now I'm starting to feel some awe for it as a singularly outstanding iniative which has achieved outstanding results based on really intelligent risk-taking which hugely paid off.

I'm sure books will be written about it in coming years.

And why did the incoming administration fire Moncef Mohamed Slaoui, the mastermind of Operation Warp Speed?

Not sure of the details but perhaps for the same reason he was fired from the Board of Directors of GSK in February of 2021. The pharma industry is a tight-knit community and his past behaviors were probably known.
Old 05-04-2021, 14:00   #769

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:

Imagine if you tried to run a military campaign based on the precautionary principle. Well, this situation was very much like a military campaign -- lots of people are going to die in any case, so you'd better be ready for some risks and some causalties in order to reach the optimal result, which is victory with the least possible (not none) casualties. Operation Warp Speed was run by a brilliant pharma executive (Moncef Mohamed Slaoui) with an Army General (General Gustav Perna) at his right hand, and not just any Army general -- the former Director of Logistics for the U.S. forces in Iraq. THOSE are EXACTLY the kind of people you want running something like this, NOT a committee of Eurocrats. When every day means tens of thousands of deaths and billions of dollars of economic output, you need bold, decisive, intelligently risk-taking, and highly organized action -- just like in a military campaign. Slaoui and Perna deserve medals in my opinion.

Politics!
Old 05-04-2021, 14:31   #770

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Politics!
Perhaps but the company where he worked for years before joining the previous administration fired him as soon as he rejoined. It was not for political reasons and the company is a UK-based corporation.
Old 05-04-2021, 15:11   #771

Quote:
...why did the incoming administration fire Moncef Mohamed Slaoui, the mastermind of Operation Warp Speed?
... did they?
[Slaoui] resigned from Operation Warp Speed on January 12, 2021
(wikipedia)

He was fired from some other positions in late March of this year.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:22   #772

Germany appears to be headed toward Vaccine Passports and implement a nationwide lockdown, [similar to what the "passport scheme" the UK is likely to implement].

https://www.yahoo.com/news/germany-p...173808797.html

Germany has announced plans to allow people vaccinated against Covid-19 certain privileges over their unvaccinated peers, in a significant step towards introducing so-called "vaccine passports." Jens Spahn, the country's health minister, said on Sunday that vaccinated people would be allowed to travel without quarantine, visit hairdressers and go shopping with minimal restrictions after new research indicated vaccinated people only pose a minimal risk of transmitting the virus. “Anyone who is vaccinated can go to the shop or the hairdresser without further testing. In addition, according to the Robert Koch Institute (Germany’s peak health research agency), completely vaccinated people no longer have to be in quarantine,”

He did not give an exact date upon which the rules would come into effect, although German media reported the measure would be introduced in the coming weeks.

. . .

Germany is expected to put in place a stricter, nationwide lockdown after the Easter break, which could include some of the toughest measures since the outbreak of the pandemic. Measures on the table include nationwide stay at home orders imposed either at night or for a 24-hour period. It would be the first time such a measure has been put in place in Germany. Schools would close, while companies would be required to regularly test their employees or force them to work from home.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:27   #773

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
. .. Germany is expected to put in place a stricter, nationwide lockdown after the Easter break, which could include some of the toughest measures since the outbreak of the pandemic. Measures on the table include nationwide stay at home orders imposed either at night or for a 24-hour period. It would be the first time such a measure has been put in place in Germany. Schools would close, while companies would be required to regularly test their employees or force them to work from home.

This is a horror movie; so sorry to hear this. It just never seems to end
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-04-2021, 18:55   #774

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

They test the boundaries...
Elections looming in the fall and politicians want to show off as the strong men that saved the population.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:59   #775

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
This is a horror movie; so sorry to hear this. It just never seems to end
This is the new variants, and they found one more in Japan, that, at least there, is non-symptomatic. Details out tomorrow, or so.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:03   #776

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I spent some time early this morning looking at the reports of recent new covid cases for various countries vs the percentage of the population that has had at least one dose of covid vaccine. Israel is close to 60% of the people with at least one jab(52% fully vaccinated), and their 7 day average daily case rate has dropped from 8600 in mid January to 350 in April. The UK is up to 46% vaccinated and their case rate has dropped from 59,000 in early January to 3500 today. The US is up to 32% vaccinated and the case rate has dropped from 250,000 in early January to 65,000 today. On the other hand Italy is only up to 12.5% vaccinated and their case rate was 16,000 in early January and has increased to 19,000 today.

There are probably some outliers, but the data shows me that vaccinations work and they give us a way to end the pandemic and its restrictions for good.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:15   #777

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

“COVID vaccination status for CF members” - In 2 days, I’ll be among the vaccinated. Exciting times! Found the Janssen vaccine, which is the best one to take with my aromatic amine issues.

Looking forward to being able to go out to eat again a bit and getting slightly back to normal.

My girlfriend is looking forward to not wearing 3M n95 masks and just using fashionable regular masks.

Visited my father and step mom a few weeks ago. It was weird because there was no Covid precaution at all in their house. Both are vaccinated. One for being old, the other for being in healthcare management at a local hospital system. For them, life seems to be back to normal in most ways.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:42   #778

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
“COVID vaccination status for CF members” - In 2 days, I’ll be among the vaccinated. Exciting times! Found the Janssen vaccine, which is the best one to take with my aromatic amine issues.

Looking forward to being able to go out to eat again a bit and getting slightly back to normal.

My girlfriend is looking forward to not wearing 3M n95 masks and just using fashionable regular masks.

Visited my father and step mom a few weeks ago. It was weird because there was no Covid precaution at all in their house. Both are vaccinated. One for being old, the other for being in healthcare management at a local hospital system. For them, life seems to be back to normal in most ways.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the vaccinated!

I get my second shot next week.

I am still taking full precautions although almost two weeks after the first Pfizer shot, and still showing some antibodies from my COVID infection last year.

But I'm feeling more confident. I am slightly less paranoid about hand hygene (but that's also because fomites don't seem to be a significant vector of transmission).

I was with my own father and step mother, who are fully vaccinated. We lived absolutely normally inside their house -- hugs and no social distancing. Outside the house we took normal precautions with masks everywhere except when actually consuming food at a restaurant table.

This is something like the new normal, at least the transition normal. Once enough people are vaccinated and infections die away, I guess we will start skipping the masks.

Meanwhile I'm quite used to wearing masks now and it doesn't really bother me. I will keep wearing them as long as necessary if only just to make other people feel more comfortable.
Walt Whitman
Old 06-04-2021, 01:46   #779

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I spent some time early this morning looking at the reports of recent new covid cases for various countries vs the percentage of the population that has had at least one dose of covid vaccine. Israel is close to 60% of the people with at least one jab(52% fully vaccinated), and their 7 day average daily case rate has dropped from 8600 in mid January to 350 in April. The UK is up to 46% vaccinated and their case rate has dropped from 59,000 in early January to 3500 today. The US is up to 32% vaccinated and the case rate has dropped from 250,000 in early January to 65,000 today. On the other hand Italy is only up to 12.5% vaccinated and their case rate was 16,000 in early January and has increased to 19,000 today.

There are probably some outliers, but the data shows me that vaccinations work and they give us a way to end the pandemic and its restrictions for good.
The simple correlation doesn't prove that vaccines work, but even without proof I am certain that they work, and I am certain that the level of vaccination we've reached in U.S. and U.K. has definitely knocked the guts out of the pandemic. It should be well and truly over in the U.S. and U.K. by early to mid summer; see here:

https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/

If anyone gets discouraged about how the pandemic drags on and on, just have a look at this page and cheer yourself up.

According to CDC, fully 75% of everyone in the U.S. over 65 has gotten at least one dose of the vaccine. And it's only 06 April! This is an extraordinary achievement!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	235993

The daily death rate in the U.S. has fallen from over 10 per million all the way to 2.35. That's still double the death rate in Sweden today, but we are only a few weeks behind the UK, which is now all the way down to 0.52, half of the Swedish rate. Within just a couple of weeks we should be there too, and 0.52 per million is insignificant -- that's already approximately the number of people dying anyway out of mere coincidence.

So from the point of view of COVID deaths we are back to normal life even long before summer, like within a few weeks. Our infection rate is already below 200, down from over 750 some weeks ago.

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost here!!!
Walt Whitman
Old 06-04-2021, 03:35   #780
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hope you guys are avoiding the AZ Jab, unless you are a gambler that is...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...cine/100047490

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-an...0210406-p57guv

Tags