Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 20:38   #856

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Updates:

Me: Had the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson shot at around 10am Thursday. Was very active Friday day, did all sorts of stuff all day. Was in bed sleeping and woke up into chills, fever and pretty violent shaking of all my sore muscles at about 11pm. Was sick like that for around 24 hours, but the shaking went away and was replaced by a dull hangover type headache and fatigue which has only really fully gone away today.

It was like having the flu for 24 hours, but without respiratory symptoms. All better now and full vaccinated status starts in less than 2 weeks.

Girlfriend: Had her shot at 6pm Friday. Moderna 1st shot. Very sore arm leading all the way into her shoulder. Some shakiness and chills last night. Otherwise unaffected. Her sore arm is her worst symptom by far. She’s younger so it may have something to do with it. Bounces back from everything faster than me.

We are quite glad to battle some effects of the vaccine rather than battling Covid. 24 hours of flu like symptoms or weeks in the ICU, losing taste, smell, half a lung, brain issues, heart issues, etc etc.

She has one more shot to go and it’s the doozy. Mine is all done. Pretty sure the Johnson and Johnson gives you a bigger viral load right away and the Moderna gives you a lighter load a couple times.

In any case, my body has now cleared out the vaccine virus and Covid spike proteins and created antibodies to them. I’m fine. There are no side effects to worry about if you’re concerned about that.

If you’re concerned about allergies, just look at the ingredients of all 3 and choose the one without ingredients you’re allergic to. I had to get a Johnson and Johnson because I felt the aromatic amines in the Pfizer and Moderna were too close to the aromatic amines that make up epoxy hardener. I’m one of the most allergic guys around and I’ve had zero reactions.

If you are concerned about the polysorbate-80 or polyethylene glycol, buy some on Amazon and stick it under a band aid on your skin for 24 hours. These are the two ingredients that cause most allergic reactions in the vaccines. I had no reaction to either in my skin allergy test. So that ingredient didn’t concern me.

In short, there is nothing to be afraid of. The mRNA in Pfizer and Moderna doesn’t affect the dna in your cells. Incidentally, a virus like the SARS-Covid-2 and the common cold DOES absolutely destroy your DNA/cells and you’re fine. The mRNA gives the protein production part of your cells instructions to churn out the Covid spike proteins. In the Johnson and Johnson, they use an attenuated adenovirus to deliver a DNA snippet to the same protein producing part of your cells to churn out some Covid spike proteins. In neither case does this affect your DNA.

So get the vaccine. It’s the right thing to do, both from a civic point of view as well as just for self preservation.

Just like having life jackets and maybe a life raft aboard. Or fire extinguishers
Old 10-04-2021, 21:12   #857

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Yes, you are right, I will think about it in 5...10 years.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....c-scenario.pdf

Interesting read...
Also the othe war games before...
Old 11-04-2021, 00:48   #858

Cat: it’s only a vaccine. It’s something that trains your immune system to recognize certain antigens - the spike protein on the SARS Covid-19 virus.

Just like it was trained by all the other vaccines to recognize the diseases below.

These are what’s required to enter school as a child in the USA. I’ve had all these (except chicken pox, I lived through that mess) as well as yellow fever and whatever else was needed for travel in central and South America. Do you not get vaccinated for visiting and living in places with disease like yellow fever when sailing to them?

Haven’t you had all these already anyway, which do the same thing? What’s the big deal?

Students Admitted at TK/K-12 Need:

Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses
(4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday.)
For 7th-12th graders, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.

Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses
(3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)

Hepatitis B — 3 doses
(not required for 7th grade entry)

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses
(Both given on or after 1st birthday)

Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses
Old 11-04-2021, 04:45   #859
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"What is mRNA?
The messenger molecule that’s been in every living cell for billions of years is the key ingredient in some COVID-19 vaccines"
https://theconversation.com/what-is-...-in-some-covid

Old 11-04-2021, 04:57   #860

Boat: Hunter 46

Once you get fully vaccinated you can have your vaccination card copied and laminated at Office Depot for free.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:38   #861

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270

As I noted earlier both the wife and myself got our second Pfizer shots this last Thursday, three weeks after we received our first. In both case all we had was a mildly sore shoulder for about 1 day. Well I was feeling a bit ‘sluggish’ about 48 hours after the second shot. But at my age I do have some ‘sluggish’ days every now and again. 😴 I am fine today. All the cruising/boating folks we know down here have either got their shots, or for the younger crowd are on the schedule to get them very soon. The Netherlands did a good job of getting the required number of Vaccine doses to its 3 directly linked Caribbean Islands. In Canada right now you might have to wait up to 4 months to get your second shot, at least that is what I read about for some Provinces.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:19   #862

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingt-Knots View Post
In Canada right now you might have to wait up to 4 months to get your second shot, at least that is what I read about for some Provinces.
Recent research has shown nearly equal efficacy of delayed 2nd shot out to at least 6 months (study was not able to assess beyond 6 months). Delaying 2nd shot means more 1st shots can be administered.

British Columbia is currently planning to delay 2nd shot by up to 4 months, though it may be a lot less if vaccine supply increases continue.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:52   #863

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
If this is not forcing vaccinations then nothing is - If you want to flee that volcano you have to be vaccinated.

A simple prerequisite of the islands that are providing safe harbor sanctuary so as to protect those islands which have isolated by keeping their borders restricted. Only the northern end of St. Vincent is deemed a red zone for evacuation but the migration away from the volcano places considerable burden on the sheltering capabilities of the island, only so many homes and schools and such to house those that have been forced away from the hazard.

The neighboring islands are being exceptionally supportive and the cruise lines have availed numerous ships to transport and house the persons that desire to leave.

Vaccination of all of the crews and the passengers is and will be standard procedure for all cruise ships. No vaccine, no embarkation. The new norm.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:41   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Vaccination of all of the crews and the passengers is and will be standard procedure for all cruise ships. No vaccine, no embarkation. The new norm.
Wasn’t that always the norm? I swear I wasn’t allowed into some Caribbean countries if I didn’t have my updated, valid yellow fever vaccination. It was a few years back, but it was mandatory.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:03   #865
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Wasn’t that always the norm? I swear I wasn’t allowed into some Caribbean countries if I didn’t have my updated, valid yellow fever vaccination. It was a few years back, but it was mandatory.
I have never had shots for any mosquito borne virus yet have been to a few islands in the W.I. and spent 2 months in Panama..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:17   #866

U.S. CDC:

Yellow fever vaccine is recommended for people who are 9 months old or older and who are traveling to or living in areas at risk for yellow fever virus in Africa and South America.

For most people, a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and a booster dose of the vaccine is not needed. However, travelers going to areas with ongoing outbreaks may consider getting a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine if it has been 10 years or more since they were last vaccinated. Certain countries might also require a booster dose of the vaccine; visit Travelers’ Health for information on specific country requirements.

readers should refer to the online version of this book (www.cdc.gov/yellowbook) and the CDC Travelers’ Health website (www.cdc.gov/travel) for any reported updates to country entry requirements since publication of this edition.

WHO:

Yellow fever
Vaccination
Yellow fever vaccination is required for travellers to certain countries and is recommended for all travellers
to areas subject to endemic and epidemic disease. For a summary of vaccine data and further details on WHO
recommendations, please consult the updated chapter 6 on the international travel and health website
(https://www.who.int/ith/updates/20130521/en/).

Yellow fever vaccination for travellers is carried out for two different purposes:

1. To prevent the international spread of the disease

Countries protect themselves from the risk of importing or further spreading the yellow fever virus by establishing entry requirements on yellow fever vaccination for travellers. The countries that require proof of vaccination are those where the disease may or may not occur and where the mosquito vector and potential non-human primate hosts of yellow fever are present. Any importation of the virus into such countries by infected travellers may result in its propagation and establishment, leading to a permanent risk
of infection for the human population. Proof of vaccination is often required for travellers arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and sometimes for travellers in transit through such countries. It should be noted that some countries require proof of vaccination from all travellers.
A meeting of yellow fever experts proposed in 2010 that less than 12 hours of airport transit in an area at risk of yellow fever poses an almost non-existent risk of yellow fever and, therefore, that proof of vaccination might not be necessary. This information is provided to WHO Member States, but travellers should confirm individual country requirements by contacting the relevant consulate or embassy of the country they intend to visit.
Countries requiring yellow fever vaccination for entry do so in accordance with the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005). Yellow fever is currently the only disease for which proof of vaccination may be required for travellers as a condition of entry to a State Party under Annex 7 of the IHR (2005). An important change was made in May 2014, when the World Health Assembly adopted an updated annex to the IHR (Annex 7), which extends the validity of a certificate of vaccination against yellow fever from 10 years to life.
This change came into force on 11 July 2016. For both existing and new certificates, revaccination or a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine cannot be required of international travellers as a condition of entry into a State Party, regardless of the date on which their international certificate of vaccination was initially issued.
The fact that a country has no requirement for yellow fever vaccination does not imply that there is no risk of yellow fever transmission.

2. To protect individual travellers who may be exposed to yellow fever infection

The risk of yellow fever transmission in a country depends on the presence of the virus in humans, mosquitoes or animals. Because yellow fever is frequently fatal for those who have not been vaccinated, vaccination is recommended for all travellers (with few exceptions, as noted in Chapter 6) visiting areas where there is a risk of yellow fever transmission. Annex 1 of International Travel and Health provides a summary list of countries with risk of yellow fever transmission in whole or in part as defined by WHO, as
well as a list of countries that require proof of yellow fever vaccination as a condition for entry.
WHO determines those areas where “a risk of yellow fever transmission is present” on the basis of the diagnosis of cases of yellow fever in humans and/or animals, the results of yellow fever sero-surveys, and the presence of vectors and animal reservoirs. The GRYF was established in 2015 to maintain up-to-date yellow fever risk-mapping and to provide guidance on yellow fever vaccination for travellers in ways that facilitate international travel.

Decisions regarding the use of yellow fever vaccine for travellers must take several factors into account, including the risk of travel-associated yellow fever virus disease, country requirements, and the potential for serious adverse events following yellow fever vaccination (Chapter 6). Yellow fever maps and graphics are available from the WHO website.

file:///C:/Users/danga/Downloads/yellow-fever-vaccination-requirements-country-list-2020-en.pdf
Old 11-04-2021, 10:21   #867

We are fortunate that SARS-CoV-2 virus is not transmissible via mosquitos acting as vectors. We don't have to worry about her first biting an infected person and then inoculating another person with the virus when she bites an uninfected person.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:36   #868
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
We are fortunate that SARS-CoV-2 virus is not transmissible via mosquitos acting as vectors. We don't have to worry about her first biting an infected person and then inoculating another person with the virus when she bites an uninfected person.
They're working on that...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:57   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They're working on that...
Whoa, now that is so the start of yet another Covid conspiracy theory that will rapidly go viral [pun intended].

Albeit this time there will be released mRNA modified male mosquitos with nanochips that result in male mosquitos biting persons instead of the normal itchy bitches being the vectors for spreading viruses.

Get out the DEET!

Old 11-04-2021, 12:42   #870
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Tags