Old 15-04-2021, 06:47   #1051
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You flatter me Gord..
But then people who consider themselves above average do tend to be condescending..
You may not be the only Phil, nor the one, to whom I was referring.

Reminds me of an old story:

It was the mid-1820’s when Phillip and his brother Terrence decided that they wanted to better their lives.
So the two brothers packed a wagon with everything they owned and started out from their small home in Missouri. The trail to Oregon was very tough and the relationship between the brothers was already stressed at best.
Phillip, being the older brother, was constantly very critical of his younger sibling. He called him all manner of condescending names and profanities. The wagon wheel broke, it was stupid Terrence’s fault. When the wagon flooded trying to Ford a river, Phillip accused Terrence, the idiot, of hitting a rock. Anytime they stopped at a fort or rest area, Phillip would find any group of other travelers and lament at how ridiculously dumb his brother was.
Finally, at one particularly grueling portion of the trail, the brothers chose to stop to hunt. The both grabbed rifles and stood in the middle of the field. Phillip watched his brother take aim at the buffalo and miss completely and he laid into his brother calling him all manner of horrible names. Something in Terrence snapped and he turned the rifle on his brother and shot him dead.
Phillip was buried next to the road that the two brothers had traveled for so many miles. A small headstone was left as the only marker.

“Here lies Phil. He died of dissing Terry.”

Old 15-04-2021, 07:04   #1052
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

And now we have the 'Two Step' swerve so popular with the classic condecending pseudopersonality..

One of the common features of the pseudopersonality created in cults is an attitude of superiority. Members believe they are better, or know more, than those around them. This makes sense when you consider they are actually copying a psychopath!

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 15-04-2021, 07:22   #1053

Boat: J/88

Mike, thanks for the research.

Reading the first item Demographers put COVID-19 death toll into perspective, I was ok till I read the estimated economic cost of each death. If you do the math it looks like they are claiming a $ 10 million dollar economic cost for each death. I am baffled how they reached that number or what it might represent.
Old 15-04-2021, 07:23   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
+/- 10% isn't horribly off. And the UK later went back and cleaned up a lot of those records, so their death numbers are now more accurate.

Even where there is pretty good record-keeping, there is likely a non-trivial number of COVID deaths that don't get recorded as such (they aren't always testing every single death for COVID), so it's just as likely that there's some under-reporting.
+-10% random...is probably reasonable.

+10% thru systematic flaw is unreasonable and leads to the question of what other large flaws are there. So I would like to see the 23% source as it's quite plausible given past failures. Not saying it's true but it's worthy of review and discussion...unlike some suggestions that it's misinformation.

Back at the beginning of the pandemic, you could argue some cases were honestly being missed because they couldn't test every death and they may have had higher priorities. Given the ease, cost and availability of testing, missing deaths is far less likely after the first few months. At least in the USA where there are large financial rewards for treating a covid case, even more unlikely that they would pass up the opportunity to do a $50 test to cash in on thousands of dollars related to treating a covid death.
Old 15-04-2021, 07:31   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Obviously the medical professionals DON'T think this is the case, so what evidence do you (or anyone) have that this is the wrong? I'll side with actual experts in most cases.
Given the politicization of the pandemic, it's a huge leap to suggest, this is indicative of what the "medical professionals" think.
Old 15-04-2021, 08:08   #1056

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In many places, the fact that COVID ran rampant through institutionalized seniors and other health-compromised people, is an indictment of the way those people are housed and managed. If those vulnerable people were better protected from the outset, the death toll from COVID would have been much lower. The fact that this wasn't recognized and acted upon right from the outset of COVID increased the magnitude of the COVID crisis, and added urgency to the need to invoke harsher and broader measures.

So... a different crisis, really, in the countries where vulnerable people get warehoused like that.
Indeed, and I hope we learned some lessons and will handle the next one differently.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 15-04-2021, 08:19   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What the statistic indicates is,

. . .

If you look to the person to your right, know that one of you is probably below average. And if you don’t know who it is, it is probably you.

* “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~ George Carlin

“65% of Americans believe they are above average in intelligence: Results of two nationally representative surveys” ~ Patrick R. Heck et al
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0200103
My father in law, was a school principal and the President of the Montana Education Association for the K-12 faculty and staff.

I recall him often stating, especially when discussing having meetings with parent of the pupils that; "Half of the children are below average in intelligence." Now getting the parents to wrap their heads around that fundamental characteristic was always a challenge particularly if the subject matter child was below average in intelligence [and / or if the parent's were "below average" in intelligence].
Old 15-04-2021, 08:30   #1058

People who had COVID-19 were about eight times more likely to end up with a blood clot on their brain than somebody who took the AstraZeneca vaccine, according to a new study.

"Clots are extremely rare in both cases, but occured significantly more in people who got sick from COVID-19, according to a comparison of two large data sets by experts at the University of Oxford.

The study, released on Thursday, has not yet been peer-reviewed, the formal process by which scientific findings are scrutinized and challenged.

Nonetheless, it provides an insight into the fraught decisions being made by regulators around the world when deciding how to respond to reports of rare occurrences of blood clots in people who have taken the vaccine."

Reference links:

New article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

Pre-print of research report:

https://osf.io/a9jdq/
Old 15-04-2021, 09:31   #1059

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Mike, thanks for the research.

Reading the first item Demographers put COVID-19 death toll into perspective, I was ok till I read the estimated economic cost of each death. If you do the math it looks like they are claiming a $ 10 million dollar economic cost for each death. I am baffled how they reached that number or what it might represent.
I only scanned those papers. I was just curious to see what demographers were looking at. Seemed like some, or a lot, of the assessments were based on extrapolation or best guesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Given the politicization of the pandemic, it's a huge leap to suggest, this is indicative of what the "medical professionals" think.
If you have evidence to say someone other than medical professionals wrote the document, then please share. Once again, if you read the document, the methodology described to assigning cause of death is no different than it has ever been. The professional assessment that Covid-19 should be prioritized when medically indicated is just that. I trust it is for sound medical and epidemiological reasons, but if you have evidence to the contrary, I'm happy to read it.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:34   #1060
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
My father in law, was a school principal and the President of the Montana Education Association for the K-12 faculty and staff.

I recall him often stating, especially when discussing having meetings with parent of the pupils that; "Half of the children are below average in intelligence." Now getting the parents to wrap their heads around that fundamental characteristic was always a challenge particularly if the subject matter child was below average in intelligence [and / or if the parent's were "below average" in intelligence].
One important fact to remember.. having a load of qualifications from Uni etc is no measure of intellect.. merely a measure of memory retention.

Old 15-04-2021, 09:36   #1061

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Thursday that it would donate COVID-19 vaccine for 800,000 people via the COVAX dose-sharing facility that aims to protect health workers and other vulnerable people in lower income countries.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:42   #1062

"Vaccine breakthrough infections make up a small percentage of people who are fully vaccinated," the CDC told The Hill in a statement. "CDC recommends that all eligible people get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as one is available to them."

The 5,800 breakthrough COVID-19 infections reported to the CDC were out of more than 75 million fully vaccinated individuals in the U.S., occurring in less than 0.008 percent of fully vaccinated people. Hospitalizations have occurred in 0.0005 percent of all full vaccinations and deaths in almost 0.0001 percent.

Only about 7 percent of the recorded breakthrough cases resulted in hospitalization and about 1 percent of the people who contracted breakthrough infections died.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 15-04-2021, 10:05   #1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One important fact to remember.. having a load of qualifications from Uni etc is no measure of intellect.. merely a measure of memory retention.
Would agree to never confuse the fact that degrees have been awarded with the true meaning of intelligence. Many of my professors asked questions and engage us in project assignments that required applying knowledge, not remembering facts. Many of my class assignments involved soliciting research or applied projects where businesses or governments paid us students to perform the class assignment.

intelligence
[inˈteləjəns]

NOUN

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
Old 15-04-2021, 10:22   #1064
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Old 15-04-2021, 10:41   #1065
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

More misinformation from Trudeau..

Justin Trudeau has bizarrely claimed that the UK is facing a “very serious third wave” of Covid-19, despite cases in Britain currently being much lower than in Canada.
“We know for example that the UK is ahead of just about everybody else on vaccinations and yet they maintain very strong restrictions and are facing a very serious third wave,” Mr Trudeau told the Canadian House of Commons.

“Vaccinations on their own are not enough to keep us safe.”

However, as of 14 April, the UK’s coronavirus case rate remains much lower than in Canada, where infections are rising.

The UK’s rolling seven-day average of cases per million people is 24, while Canada’s is 225, according to figures collected by Our World in Data.

The Independent

Tags