Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 16:28   #121

Boat: Junk rigged composite Atkin Tern, 30 feet
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

I'm 75, in California, San Francisco East Bay. I will be getting my first shot via my medical provider (Kaiser Northern California) tomorrow afternoon. Getting an appointment took a few days of "try again tomorrow" phone calls, and success came with their online appointment center. Vaccine will be either Moderna or Pfeizer (no choice), either of which is fine by me!

Friends who have already had their first shot report various side effects, ranging from sore arm to fever and chills the next day, but actually getting the shot has been efficient and relatively painless, and they have departed the vaccination center with an appointment for their second shot. I'll report back if I experience anything different.

Carol
Old 26-01-2021, 16:30   #122

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
For some reason, mariners in general seem to gravitate towards the Q-Anon spectrum. I try to avoid gatherings with them, as the conversation inevitably ends up in wacko territory.
That's not my experience... not in real life anyway. Only here do encounter these conspiracy theory embracers. It doesn't even happen at anywhere near the same level on the other sailing forum I hang out in.

So I have to wonder... what's so screwy about CF?

Maybe it's because it is so large and active. Kinda like Facebook, it really is the 1000 pound gorilla in the cruising-forum world (which granted, isn't very big). But no where else do I encounter anywhere near the same level of anti-science/anti-experts as I do here.
Old 26-01-2021, 16:54   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you think Canada USA vaccine envy is going to be a problem wait till u see the issues with the EU failing behind due to the Astra issue compared to the U.K. who are already 4x the EU and with an undiminished local Astra supply
You do like to stir it don't you..

Now approved for use, the Pfizer vaccine is being administered throughout the UK. 90-year-old Margaret Keenan from Coventry was the first person to receive the jab after it was given the green light by the country’s medicine regulator.

Some 800,000 doses of the vaccine have been delivered to UK hospital hubs – enough for 400,000 people – but it is unclear when more doses will arrive from the German manufacturer.

As of Sunday 24 December 2020, over 600,000 people had received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in the UK.

On 30 December, the Oxford University vaccine was approved for use in the UK and the first doses were delivered on 4 January 2021, while the Moderna vaccine was approved on 7 January.

Meanwhile in the EU..

“It’s Europe’s moment,” Ursula Von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, tweeted on Thursday confirming that Covid-19 vaccination will start across the European Union on December 27, 28 and 29, two days after Christmas.

As for AstraZeneca.. it May be approved by Jan 29th so not to blame for EU incompetence.

The jab would be the third available for the 27-nation European Union after the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna drugs, as the bloc struggles to speed up the rollout.

"EMA has received an application for conditional marketing authorisation for a COVID-19 vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University," the Amsterdam-based regulator said in a statement.

The EMA said its assessment would "proceed under an accelerated timeline".

"An opinion on the marketing authorisation could be issued by 29 January... provided that the data submitted on the quality, safety and efficacy of the vaccine are sufficiently robust and complete," it said.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 26-01-2021, 17:08   #124

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm an ex-pat. I'm more than "old enough". Our winter is in the Northern Hemisphere summer. Flu vaccine was still recommended. We were treated like any other resident, here in Tasmania. This is a public health decision. I expect we will be treated like any other resident when the Covid 19 vaccine becomes available, here, as well.

For those ex-pats who think the US should interfere in what other nations are doing with their populations to provide you with a vaccination, I kind of doubt there is any mechanism in place for the US to do that, so you are likely to be mixed in with the local population and to have to do whatever they have to do. If you want to refuse the vaccination, there is probably something in place, a way to legally do that, also.

I will get vaccinated, but no intention -- in spite of a number of pre-existing conditions-- to try and jump the queue. There are always risks with life. Getting the vaccination, imho, may benefit me; as well, it may benefit others and is as unlikely to harm them as me. Both the shot an my death will happen when it happens outside my control, so not to worry either way. A line from a very old song, "I'll live till I die."

Ann
Old 26-01-2021, 17:30   #125
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Meanwhile Hungary buys Russia's Sputnik V vaccine.. EU to slow..

Hungary has signed a deal to buy two million doses of Russia’s Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine, the first European Union country to do so, foreign minister Peter Szijjarto told a briefing during talks in Moscow on Friday.

With its order for Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine, Hungary is the first EU member to break ranks and unilaterally approve the shot as frustrations build in Europe over delays in supplies of Western vaccines that are hampering economic recovery.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 26-01-2021, 17:46   #126

Tell that to the millions of dead people who got HIV from the virus contaminated polio vaccines made by lowest bidder US pharma companies for Africa.... There will never be a settlement in that case. And not to mention, that was a long slow and painful death.

I also highly doubt that all of those other vaccines that you mention were developed and tested in a year before being released onto the market. Why it is that we still don't have an aids vaccine ? Its "just a virus" right ? Why is it that cancer rates in dogs have skyrocketed ? Perhaps because of the number of state and federally mandated vaccines that they have to get by force of law ?

Against all the uncertainty, why is it that any form of prophylactic treatment in the US and many other developed countries is banned ? India and the majority of poor countries are using them and having much greater success against the "carnage" as you put it, because our doctors are prohibited by the FDA, the CDC and others from using their own judgement and having access to existing medications.

So long as there is a large segment of the population who is going to clamor at the feet of government for protection, there are going to be people who are going to try to appease. Whether or not the treatment is ultimately effective, whether it ultimately causes more harm than good, they are likely to already be out of office by the time the birds come home to roost and would have benefited politically in the here and now. And they will be forever immune from prosecution regardless.

We don't all have to be sheep. Or Lemmings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
One thinks you have missed social media and this forum. But he'll who cares im getting jabbed and will no doubt be allowed into countries that demand you do .
Flu jab, small pox, measles , diphtheria, ebola . Etc vaccines work for 99% of a population ,
some will get a reaction one might die but the odds for the lottery are better, amazing how social media was not around during small pox and it is now eradicated in the western world , could you imagine if we had Facebook back then or this forum , and others , our children and grand children would have been at risk.
Old 26-01-2021, 17:58   #127

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Tell that to the millions of dead people who got HIV from the virus contaminated polio vaccines made by lowest bidder US pharma companies for Africa.... There will never be a settlement in that case. And not to mention, that was a long slow and painful death.....
Really? On the basis of an article in that esteemed scientific journal, Rolling Stone? An article for which Rolling Stone later published an apology and retraction?

Quote:
The editors of Rolling Stone wish to clarify that they never intended to suggest in the article that there is any scientific proof, nor do they know of any scientific proof, that Dr. Koprowski, an illustrious scientist, was in fact responsible for introducing AIDS to the human population or that he is the father of AIDS…. Dr. Koprowski's pioneering work in developing polio vaccines has helped spare suffering and death to hundreds of thousands of potential victims of paralytic poliomyelitis and is perhaps one of his greatest contributions in a lifetime of high and widely recognized achievements.
Regardless, that one story in that one esteemed, peer-reviewed journal lives on, spawned a conspiracy theory book, and is now a reason not to get the Covid vaccine
Old 26-01-2021, 18:01   #128

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Here in San Diego, CA we're getting very uneven vaccinations, my HMO only got 975 doses for 150,000 eligible people!

Rumor has it the County is giving shots right now downtown at the ball park, will try them in a moment.

Of course our Governor want to vaccinate all minorities first to ensure their vote!

Stay tuned
Old 26-01-2021, 18:09   #129

Boat: none yet :(

I happy to wait until I decide otherwise. I will suggest to everybody to read carefully the small print disclaimers for all 'vaccines' at FDA/CDC or respective manufacturer's website as they are still not FDA-approved as vaccines but 'investigational' or 'experimental' 'vaccine-candidates' provided under 'emergency' provisions with 'not established efficacy and safety statistics and unknown duration of its effectiveness'. Still to young to be a guinea pig.

Also, the chances of being tested PCR positive (given how that test works) increases dramatically and vaccinated people may end up in quarantine.

Just sayin'
Old 26-01-2021, 18:10   #130

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Of course our Governor want to vaccinate all minorities first to ensure their vote!
Hmmm... in SD county are not Caucasians a minority? Quick... get in line! (just assuming here from your post that you are a member of that group)

Jim
Old 26-01-2021, 18:22   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’m 44, so no vaccine yet. As soon as I can get one I will so we can try to return to normalcy.

And I’d also like to thank all you old guys for making sure the vaccine is safe.

I am under impression that they don't want us to return to 'normalcy'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vax-mask.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	231342  
Old 26-01-2021, 18:29   #132

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That's not my experience... not in real life anyway. Only here do encounter these conspiracy theory embracers. It doesn't even happen at anywhere near the same level on the other sailing forum I hang out in.

So I have to wonder... what's so screwy about CF?

Maybe it's because it is so large and active. Kinda like Facebook, it really is the 1000 pound gorilla in the cruising-forum world (which granted, isn't very big). But no where else do I encounter anywhere near the same level of anti-science/anti-experts as I do here.
Well, it could be worse. I'm a recreational target shooter -- if you want to reallllly see anti-science anti-expert rhetoric, take a tour through their chat forums.

I agree with you that there are voluble anti-smart-people folk here on CF. But really they're a minority barking at the passing traffic. They're bitter that the world is going along without them at the wheel, plus they love the sound of their own yapping. Stopping to try and talk a dog out of barking at cars is useless. Keeping going -- they disappear in the rear view.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:29   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A little context to these statements. No conclusion that the deaths were caused by the vaccine, although the jury is still out. It turns out that with or without the vaccine people in the population die.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN29P2R1
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...death.amp.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfg...y-15895656.php

Interesting observation when a vaccinated person dies, the vaccine is not the cause, but when a person dies from whatever reason (mostly >75 y/o with health conditions and tested positive for Covid, it is registered as Covid -death without any further assessment.

I hope that everyone should recognize that there have been worrying and contradicting protocols especially if looked and compared on international level.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:43   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post

We have decided against the new shot. Far too many ignorant and politically motivated voices have been involved in perpetuating the hoax that any vaccine will be a panacea. If you believe that it will be, then you have been duped and should reevaluate your historical perspective in my opinion. Fear breads irrationality.

You should do your own homework and make your own choice. You should not, however thrust your choices onto others for any reason. That's my two cents for what it's worth.
Good luck,

I second this view. Well articulated.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:43   #135

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

61 in the US and in good health. I don't expect to be able to get vaccinated until at least May. Unless I become a volunteer firefighter.........

Tags