Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 11:25   #1396

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

I had no side effects from the first Moderno shot. Haven't had the second shot yet.

A person at my wifes work got Covid after being fully vaccinated. Don't know which vaccination.
Old 27-04-2021, 11:39   #1397

At the age of 63, I am old enough to remember such signs, so this image and statement, hits with a lot of force. Sure puts things into full and harsh perspective as to the sign of our times.

Wearing a mask is not a big ask, nor a hard task.

All the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mask only.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	237395  
Old 27-04-2021, 11:56   #1398

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I had no side effects from the first Moderno shot. Haven't had the second shot yet.

A person at my wifes work got Covid after being fully vaccinated. Don't know which vaccination.

While the vaccine is not 100% effective it is better than not getting vaccinated. My wife got Moderna and had mild body aches after shot #2.
Old 27-04-2021, 11:57   #1399

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm not aware of any quality data that tracks normal side effects. Too bad, because it might be interesting to see what, if any, commonalities exist with people who report different levels of effects. It does seem to be all over the map. I personally know people who've had both shots with zero reported side effects. And I've read about a number who seem to have a stronger effect with the second jab.

But part of the challenge of this kind of data is that a lot of these "normal" effects are subjective in scale. Headaches, muscle pains, even chills and dizziness can be quite subjective. People with different pain thresholds or normal experiences would report different levels of effects.
Major side effects so far:

Significant reduction in stress
Loneliness and isolation have been reduced by 80 to 90%
I get to see people's whole face again ( sometimes good, sometimes not)
Feelings that there is hope in the future, increased dramatically.
Loss of interest in the current Covid statistics
Acquired the ability to convince the girlfriend to book a vacation for us.
Mild feeling of fatigue on the day following the second shot, only lasted about 6 hours.

So yes, several side effects to the vaccine, your experience may vary
Old 27-04-2021, 11:59   #1400

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm not aware of any quality data that tracks normal side effects. Too bad, because it might be interesting to see what, if any, commonalities exist with people who report different levels of effects. It does seem to be all over the map. I personally know people who've had both shots with zero reported side effects. And I've read about a number who seem to have a stronger effect with the second jab.

But part of the challenge of this kind of data is that a lot of these "normal" effects are subjective in scale. Headaches, muscle pains, even chills and dizziness can be quite subjective. People with different pain thresholds or normal experiences would report different levels of effects.

The US CDC has a link on their website for the purpose of tracking side effects. Your point is valid though- it is hard to collect and thus hard to analyze.
Old 27-04-2021, 12:17   #1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Interesting............my wife and I and all of our friends that got the Pfizer vacinne had zero side effects and no sore arm on both shots.
Like I said, I had a really bad headache, which was a surprise. My arm was sore but I really don't see that as a side affect of the vaccine. If someone had just jabbed me with a needle, my arm is going to be sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The side effects seem to vary widely depending on the person. I've had friends and colleagues experience anything from no side effects up to 48 hours of fever, aches and misery. That's from both the second shot of Moderna and Pfizer as well as from the J&J shot.

I'll find out what I get, as I'll be receiving my second dose of Pfizer in a week. Just a very slight soreness when that muscle was pushed on for about a day after my first shot.
What is surprising me is the number of very similar reactions. Not wanting, or unable, to get out of bed, as reported by three people, is alarming and a large number of the results people are reporting at work. Others have had the aches, fevers, and misery seems like a good word to describe what they are going through. Genetically, it is a large sample of people from around the world.

Due to the number of people reporting down time, we are planning on that down time as people get the vaccine. These are not people that b...ch and moan about things either. For them to miss work is a big deal and they will drag themselves to work, even when they should not. But they are calling out sick due to the jab.

Later,
Dan
Old 27-04-2021, 12:38   #1402
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
https://fortune.com/2021/02/19/do-co...virus-vaccine/

Many other links, come up when the subject is searched.
Many, many links come up, not one of which links to the mentioned "studies". I believe they are referring to this though: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765
The claim that "The risk of Covid-19 transmission by vaccinated people is low, evidence shows." is not supported. Most of the studies endpoints are to symptomatic covid only. Asymptomatic people in the studies were not tested for covid. In the Pfizer study it was up to the practitioners (Pfizer employees) to decide if symptoms warranted that person getting tested. But since the shots themselves produce symptoms, it was at their discrepancy to decide what warrants testing. This is a major conflict of interest and a major study design flaw. All participants should have been tested before, during, and after the study! There are no studies (that I can find) showing that vaccinees don't spread the disease, only mainstream news articles. Montanan's link (https://fortune.com/2021/02/19/do-co...virus-vaccine/) links to this article:
Quote:
Do COVID vaccines stop coronavirus from spreading or just make you less sick? https://fortune.com/2021/02/02/does-...virus-vaccine/
But there's a crucial mystery still left to unravel: Do these vaccines simply stop you from getting really sick, or can they actually stop transmission of the coronavirus itself?

Unfortunately there isn't anything approaching a clear-cut answer to that yet. The rapid production timeline for these immunizations means we need to wait and see all the data.
Old 27-04-2021, 13:03   #1403

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Updated US Center for Disease Control and Prevention guidance regarding wearing masks.

The new guidelines are the latest easing restrictions for vaccinated people and encourages more people to become vaccinated.

People who are fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus don’t need to wear masks when walking, hiking, biking, running alone or gathering in small groups outside. The same applies to dining at a restaurant outside, and to small outdoor gatherings that include some unvaccinated people

Yet vaccinated people should still wear masks in public settings indoors and outdoors where there is a substantial risk of Covid-19 transmission, such as concerts, sporting events and other crowded gatherings.

The fully vaccinated should also wear masks at indoor gatherings with unvaccinated people, visits to a barber, hair salon, shopping mall, museum, movie theater or crowded house of worship. Vaccinated people should also wear masks if singing in an indoor chorus.

They follow mounting scientific evidence indicating the risk of infection is low outdoors, especially among people who are vaccinated. The risk of Covid-19 transmission by vaccinated people is low, evidence shows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote:

“The message is clear: ‘You’re vaccinated, guess what? You get to return to a more normal lifestyle. If you’re not vaccinated, you’re still in danger,” Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra said
Well this is the case in all places we have been since June 2020, no masks outside, no masks on the beaches, masks only in stores and restauraunts until seated, then no mask of course.

Hand sanitizer on each entrance.

No problems or infection spikes in this areas.
People are friendly and disciplined, keep dinstance if possible - but not freaking out.
Old 27-04-2021, 13:25   #1404
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“COVID vaccines: time to confront anti-vax aggression” ~ OPINION by Peter Hotez
Science is losing the information war against well-financed anti-vaccine movements in the United States, and disinformation from Russia, argues physician-scientist Peter Hotez.
He reports from the front lines of the conflict, as a vaccine scientist, and the father of an adult daughter with autism — the subject of his 2018 book, "Vaccines Did Not Cause Rachel’s Autism".
He calls for “direct, even confrontational, approaches” to counter anti-science campaigns.
More ➥ https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01084-x

“Anti-vaccine movement could undermine efforts to end coronavirus pandemic, researchers warn” ~ by Philip Ball
Studies of social networks show that opposition to vaccines is small but far-reaching — and growing.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01423-4

“The race to curb the spread of COVID vaccine disinformation:” ~ by Jeff Tollefson
Researchers are applying strategies honed during the 2020 US presidential election to track anti-vax propaganda.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00997-x

“The epic battle against coronavirus misinformation and conspiracy theories” ~ by Philip Ball & Amy Maxmen
Analysts are tracking false rumours about COVID-19 in hopes of curbing their spread.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01452-z

Old 27-04-2021, 14:03   #1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
The claim that "The risk of Covid-19 transmission by vaccinated people is low, evidence shows." is not supported.
... nor has it been disproven. "Low" is of course relative.

If one accepts that vaccination lowers the chance of catching COVID, and/or lowers the severity and duration of COVID if the vaccinated person does catch it, then it's reasonable to conclude that a vaccinated person is less likely to infect other people.
Quote:
There are no studies (that I can find) showing that vaccinees don't spread the disease
... and no-one has made that claim. We call this a "straw man" argument.
Old 27-04-2021, 15:24   #1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
There are no studies (that I can find) showing that vaccinees don't spread the disease
Possibly correcting myself; did you mean "vaccines", or "people who have been vaccinated", which is what I first thought (above)?

If you did mean vaccines...claiming or implying that the vaccines themselves spread the disease... is totally unfounded. It's nuts. Unfortunately, we have nuts:

Miami school bars vaccinated teachers from seeing students
Old 27-04-2021, 16:18   #1407

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Which is interesting. People I know getting Moderna and Pfizer are have serious side affects after the second shot.

My first Moderna I had a very, very bad headache and I don't get headaches. I could barely read which impacted my CF reading. Making fun of it but I have never had a headache that bad from a vaccine and I have had plenty of vaccinations.

However, it is the second shot that is the big problem. Many of the people I work with have been laid out by the second shot. No energy, fevers, chills, headaches, dizziness, etc. Hits them quickly 12-24 hours after the shot and lasts 8-12 hours minimum with some being laid out for a few days.

I have not been keeping track of the actual count but it seems that most of the people I work with have been hit hard. At least half to three quarters is a good guess. It is bad enough that we are planning workload and deadlines based on when people get the second shot.

Get my second shot soon so it will be interesting if I am hit as hard as others.

Later,
Dan
IDK I'm one of those classed as having a high tolerance for pain. Throughout life I've always just plowed through. But that Being said...

With both I had the expected slight pain in the arm muscle. For the second shot I applied ice packs to the shot sight and that made a huge difference in the level of discomfort and duration. Stupid they don't recommend that. I asked but never got an answer about taking an asperin after the second shot. So, i also took 1 asperin. I never had a headache for 1st or second. But I drink very strong coffee? Could've helped? I'm working from home so I didn't need to go into work. Relaxed atmosphere? Maybe made a difference as opposed to people required to shower, dress, drive, attend a stressful environment?

I understand the importance of preparing people of the wide varity of side effects. But my own experience was that it was no different than any other vaccine I've had. Sore arm pain and a little bit of a desire for more sleep. And that Being said after both vacines, there were cold fronts that moved through. So were my hunker down days based on weather and old age, or side effects? So mild they are hard to discern.

I'm thinking people expect to be dibilatated so they are. And not to minimize people that do become debilitated, but because they've reported incidences of such, I believe it's become a placebo effect, where people dread the second jab. I would like to see data on the severity of side effects. My belief is that they're building up and putting out the worse case scenarios in order to prepare people that that may happen, but I'm wondering if the majority suffer very little.
Old 27-04-2021, 16:33   #1408

Boat: Other people's boats

When I got my first shot one of the papers included was info on how to sign up with the CDC's v-safe tool. It sends you text links to a short web survey, daily for the first week, weekly for the next five weeks, etc.

I've known a few people who were feeling under the weather or took the day off after the second shot, and like Dan I will have the second soon so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old 27-04-2021, 17:18   #1409
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... nor has it been disproven. "Low" is of course relative.

If one accepts that vaccination lowers the chance of catching COVID, and/or lowers the severity and duration of COVID if the vaccinated person does catch it, then it's reasonable to conclude that a vaccinated person is less likely to infect other people.
... and no-one has made that claim. We call this a "straw man" argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Possibly correcting myself; did you mean "vaccines", or "people who have been vaccinated", which is what I first thought (above)?

If you did mean vaccines...claiming or implying that the vaccines themselves spread the disease... is totally unfounded. It's nuts. Unfortunately, we have nuts:

Miami school bars vaccinated teachers from seeing students
No straw man argument here buddy. In the post that I replied to, the claim was made:
Quote:
The risk of Covid-19 transmission by vaccinated people is low, evidence shows.
to which I replied, asking for the evidence. "Reasonable to conclude" does not hold water. You know what they say about assumptions? Why weren't the vaccinees in the trial tested for covid? Why did Pfizer get to design, execute, analyze, and write their own trial. Yes I meant vaccinees. But there are plenty of instances where vaccines have spread the disease that they were supposed to make people immune to. Look up polio.
These new so called vaccines were not even studied to see if they could prevent the disease, only the symptoms. They are not even vaccines by any traditional sense of the word. Pfizer is now trialing a protease inhibitor
Quote:
PFIZER INITIATES PHASE 1 STUDY OF NOVEL ORAL ANTIVIRAL THERAPEUTIC AGENT AGAINST SARS-COV-2https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...oral-antiviral
It inhibits the enzyme that transcribes RNA into DNA. Perhaps they are worried about their new gene therapy affecting the human genome. When the true dangers of these new vaccines are exposed, it will be too late and you'll just have take whatever they want to give you from here on out.
Ivermectin also inhibits protease, and is proven (over 50 studies) to be very effective at preventing and treating covid.
Old 27-04-2021, 17:52   #1410

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Got my second Pfizer three days ago. No longer have a sore arm.
The soreness is slightly worse than a tetanus booster.
My wife is at one Moderna. Slightly sore arm.
Possible we were both tired after the shots. But it is REALLY hard to sort out what you feel from what you think you should feel when it’s really mild.
My younger son felt like crap for two days after Moderna round two.
I am SO looking forward to a sort of normal summer.

Tags