Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 12:19   #1456
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
There is no known rational reason not to get vaccinated by any of the vaccines in the US and probably the world. I do feel it's everyone's right to chose though. After all, there are plenty of irrational people.
Hep B, same day as birth? Guardasil? I guess it depends on who you get your info from. A trustworthy source one would hope.
Old 29-04-2021, 12:48   #1457

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Not sure I trust or believe these numebrs, and the source is dubious at best.
You are more likely to die in a car crash than from a covd vaccine...
That is a gross exaggeration. A more accurate comparison would be " You're more likely to die sitting in a car in your driveway than dying from the vaccine ".
Old 29-04-2021, 12:49   #1458

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's easy to see that you don't understand risk/benefit ratios.

What deception? We all know about it...
I saw this argument made on TV by a physician in Ontario yesterday where he calmly made the case that we should not be afraid of a small risk of dire consequences. This same fellow has made several references to the stupidity of some people and our governments for not locking down completely to avoid the risk of Covid death which currently stands at 1 person in 2000, the way we HAVE done it.

Please don't colour me anti-lockdown, I just find it hard to imagine that we have seen Covid in such a binary fashion without much thought to risk/benefit ratios in our decision making.
Old 29-04-2021, 12:52   #1459

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
That is a gross exaggeration. A more accurate comparison would be " You're more likely to die sitting in a car in your driveway than dying from the vaccine ".

Exactly my point. So are we going to stop driving? Very unlikely, yet that is what the naysayers are saying- stop or don't get vaccinated.

Whether it is 58 deaths or 10,000 those numbers are still an incredibly small percentage. I don't mean to trivialize anyone's death, just pointing out the stats in all of this.

And you are actually more likely to be hit by lightning than die from the COVID vaccine. Go look up the stats.
Old 29-04-2021, 12:54   #1460

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I thought that was a Canadian thing . We have a lot of weather in this big country .

Yeah cold, colder, coldest. I live in Wisconsin you can’t fool me :-)
Old 29-04-2021, 13:43   #1461
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I don't doubt that some may die because of a reaction to a covid vaccine. But you're now talking 60 people out of 234 million vaccinations. Calculate that fatality rate for us, would you? It's probably below an American's chance of being struck by lightning...
According to the US NWS, your odds of being struck, by lightning, in your lifetime (Est. 80 years) are 1 in 15,300 [0.00653%].
The odds of being struck, in a given year, are 1 in 1,222,000 [0.00008%].
According to reports from BoatUS Marine Insurance claim files, the odds of your boat being struck by lightning, in any year, are about one in 1,000 [0.1%].

Old 29-04-2021, 14:08   #1462

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:
Exactly my point. So are we going to stop driving? Very unlikely, yet that is what the naysayers are saying- stop or don't get vaccinated.
How does the risk of dying from Covid-19 compare to the risk of dying in a car crash in the US? Were you against the Covid lockdowns? Should we stop driving?

I am fully vaccinated BTW.
Old 29-04-2021, 14:49   #1463

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
I saw this argument made on TV by a physician in Ontario yesterday where he calmly made the case that we should not be afraid of a small risk of dire consequences. This same fellow has made several references to the stupidity of some people and our governments for not locking down completely to avoid the risk of Covid death which currently stands at 1 person in 2000, the way we HAVE done it.

Please don't colour me anti-lockdown, I just find it hard to imagine that we have seen Covid in such a binary fashion without much thought to risk/benefit ratios in our decision making.
It's hard to find the "optimum" balance between covid risks and lockdown risks, because most restrictions or lockdowns can't be predictably modulated in a nice linear way, so there's no reliable way to predict "how much" lockdown to apply to save X lives. Basically, all we have is that when epidemiologists start to yell, we get a lockdown. If the numbers are still heading north, the epidemiologists yell for "more lockdown!". Seems that this is the best we have for now.

Ontario's current surge comes from the government pretty much ignoring the yelling.
Old 29-04-2021, 14:51   #1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
How does the risk of dying from Covid-19 compare to the risk of dying in a car crash in the US? Were you against the Covid lockdowns? Should we stop driving?

I am fully vaccinated BTW.

No there is sarcasm here. If you are afraid to get vaccinated because YOU MIGHT DIE THEN YOU SHOULDN'T DRIVE OR RIDE IN A CAR.

I am fully vaccinated too and fail to understand why more are not going in that direction.
Old 29-04-2021, 15:02   #1465

Quote:
No there is sarcasm here. If you are afraid to get vaccinated because YOU MIGHT DIE THEN YOU SHOULDN'T DRIVE OR RIDE IN A CAR.

I am fully vaccinated too and fail to understand why more are not going in that direction.
There is more sarcasm than you think. So, let me unpack that for you.

The risk of dying in a car crash in the US is about the same as the risk of dying from Covid.

Since you brought up the car crash analogy, I am curious how you feel about the lockdowns?
Old 29-04-2021, 16:12   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
There is more sarcasm than you think. So, let me unpack that for you.

The risk of dying in a car crash in the US is about the same as the risk of dying from Covid.

Since you brought up the car crash analogy, I am curious how you feel about the lockdowns?
Ok let me lay it all out for you. First, I work in the pharmaceutical industry and fully understand the impact and danger that COVID presents for mankind. I wear a mask when needed but dislike it. Doubt anyone truly likes masking up. I’m am tired of the socio-economic impact from COVID. I understand why lockdowns and the like have been implemented but again don’t like them. I feel that it should be up to the individual to assess the risk of getting out and about so while some controls are good and necessary, total shutdown and closing of businesses -no.

Back to the driving analogy...one doesn’t have to drive but it is necessary and provides a convenience. The same is true for getting vaccinated.
Old 29-04-2021, 16:54   #1467
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

You seriously could not make this up!

So it looks like the West Australian government states the Vaccine as a Poison, I hope you all enjoyed your shot of Poison

Taken from an Australia Government site:

Authorisation to supply or administer vaccine (No. 1)

Guidance

This is an Instrument of authorisation to supply or administer a poison (SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19) VACCINE))

THIS IS NOT A TYPO - READ THE DOCUMENT LINKED TO ON THE PAGE

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/pub...r-vaccine-no-1
Old 29-04-2021, 18:02   #1468

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... I am allergic to Eucalyptus and happen to live in a country where this is widely grown and harvested..
Better stay away from the popular parts of Aus!

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&u...AAAAAdAAAAABAI
Old 29-04-2021, 18:09   #1469

Quote:
Ok let me lay it all out for you. First, I work in the pharmaceutical industry and fully understand the impact and danger that COVID presents for mankind. I wear a mask when needed but dislike it. Doubt anyone truly likes masking up. I’m am tired of the socio-economic impact from COVID. I understand why lockdowns and the like have been implemented but again don’t like them. I feel that it should be up to the individual to assess the risk of getting out and about so while some controls are good and necessary, total shutdown and closing of businesses -no.

Back to the driving analogy...one doesn’t have to drive but it is necessary and provides a convenience. The same is true for getting vaccinated.
I think we are in a violent agreement.

Peace!
Old 29-04-2021, 18:23   #1470

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:

Whether it is 58 deaths or 10,000 those numbers are still an incredibly small percentage. I don't mean to trivialize anyone's death, just pointing out the stats in all of this.

And you are actually more likely to be hit by lightning than die from the COVID vaccine. Go look up the stats.
Same for Covid almost... I can chose to take the bus, the train or drive my car or bike, take a taxi or stay outside in a thunder storm, smoke or drink coca cola, eat a big mac, consume coffee or alcohol, use a condom - same as I can chose to wear a mask, get vaccinated, stay home or nothing from all of this.

It is about personal choices and risk acceptance. Everybody makes different benefit / risk assessments for his situation and this is perfectly ok.

Tags