Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 18:48   #1471
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Same for Covid almost... I can chose to take the bus, the train or drive my car or bike, take a taxi or stay outside in a thunder storm, smoke or drink coca cola, eat a big mac, consume coffee or alcohol, use a condom - same as I can chose to wear a mask, get vaccinated, stay home or nothing from all of this.

It is about personal choices and risk acceptance. Everybody makes different benefit / risk assessments for his situation and this is perfectly ok.
Yup.. its just some low risk tolerant folk can't handle this..
That's why they think folk who cross oceans or sail solo are nutz.. you gotta love risks to understand..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 29-04-2021, 19:00   #1472

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Sigh... we've been over this a thousand times here, so might as well make it 1001 .

Taking the "bus, the train or drive my car or bike, ..." are ALL personal choices that almost exclusively affect just the person who makes the choice. Wearing of masks and getting vaccinated is a choice that affects everyone around you. This simple fact seems to elude some of you. As the saying goes, it's not just about you.

The true equivalent would be choosing to drive a car recklessly, endangering everyone else on the highway. This is not just a personal choice. It affects everyone.

Try this one... how do you feel about people cruising without any insurance? Most here consider this wrong, if not immoral, since it means you put others at risk if you crash into them. This is the same as not wearing a mask or not getting vaccinated.
Old 29-04-2021, 19:07   #1473
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike.. I'm a Monty Python fan..
Seems the vaccines you guys have taken are useless for the Indian variant that's hit the UK and France.
Guess I may just wait for the Mk 2..
Always look on the Bright Side of Life..

Old 29-04-2021, 19:12   #1474

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Same for Covid almost... I can chose to take the bus, the train or drive my car or bike, take a taxi or stay outside in a thunder storm, smoke or drink coca cola, eat a big mac, consume coffee or alcohol, use a condom - same as I can chose to wear a mask, get vaccinated, stay home or nothing from all of this.

It is about personal choices and risk acceptance. Everybody makes different benefit / risk assessments for his situation and this is perfectly ok.

As I’ve mentioned before, none of those are communicable, just pointing that out
Old 29-04-2021, 19:18   #1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yup.. its just some low risk tolerant folk can't handle this..
That's why they think folk who cross oceans or sail solo are nutz.. you gotta love risks to understand..

I get why someone would cross oceans, sail solo, climb mountains, jump out of plains, jaywalk ... done one or two "risky" things myself. I even understand why people like to smoke. I don't see the attraction of leaving oneself more open to catching a mostly preventable serious illness. What's the payoff?
Old 29-04-2021, 19:22   #1476
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
As I’ve mentioned before, none of those are communicable, just pointing that out
Tell that to these folks..

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...rrorist-attack

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/...tesville-Rally

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/uk-p...ooting-1672380

Old 29-04-2021, 19:23   #1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mike.. I'm a Monty Python fan..
Seems the vaccines you guys have taken are useless for the Indian variant that's hit the UK and France.
Guess I may just wait for the Mk 2..
Always look on the Bright Side of Life..
If you're waiting for perfection, it will be a long wait. This is a mutating virus, much like influenza. Given our inability to kill it (which is exacerbated by all those refusing to follow public health measures), the virus will likely be with us permanently.

We'll all be getting Mk 2, 3, 4, etc... in the coming years. If we're lucky the virus will become less virulent. Our immune systems will also adapt to better deal with it. It will no longer be "novel" but I doubt it's going away.

Thanks for reinforcing my point. Driving is (mostly) a personal choice that affects the driver. Driving dangerously affects others, just like choosing to ignore public health measures around this pandemic.
Old 29-04-2021, 19:25   #1478
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you're waiting for perfection, it will be a long wait. This is a mutating virus, much like influenza. Given our inability to kill it (which is exacerbated by all those refusing to follow public health measures), the virus will likely be with us permanently.

We'll all be getting Mk 2, 3, 4, etc... in the coming years. If we're lucky the virus will become less virulent. Our immune systems will also adapt to better deal with it. It will no longer be "novel" but I doubt it's going away.
I said as much a long time ago but so many knew better..
Lone Ranger fans..

Old 29-04-2021, 19:46   #1479

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Sigh... we've been over this a thousand times here, so might as well make it 1001 .

Taking the "bus, the train or drive my car or bike, ..." are ALL personal choices that almost exclusively affect just the person who makes the choice. Wearing of masks and getting vaccinated is a choice that affects everyone around you. This simple fact seems to elude some of you. As the saying goes, it's not just about you.

The true equivalent would be choosing to drive a car recklessly, endangering everyone else on the highway. This is not just a personal choice. It affects everyone.

Try this one... how do you feel about people cruising without any insurance? Most here consider this wrong, if not immoral, since it means you put others at risk if you crash into them. This is the same as not wearing a mask or not getting vaccinated.
We are only responsible for our own health, not others. Others can chose to isolate if they feel threatened.
Take everything, give nothing back!!!!
Old 29-04-2021, 19:47   #1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
We are only responsible for our own health, not others. Others can chose to isolate if they feel threatened.
Take everything, give nothing back!!!!

So you're good with driving as you see fit, regardless of others? Or cruising without any insurance?
Old 29-04-2021, 19:49   #1481

Quote:

Wearing of masks and getting vaccinated is a choice that affects everyone around you. This simple fact seems to elude some of you. As the saying goes, it's not just about you.
Mike, If someone won't take the vaccine for them self they sure as hell aren't going to take it to help others.
Old 29-04-2021, 19:51   #1482

Quote:
So you're good with driving as you see fit, regardless of others? Or cruising without any insurance?
I recognize it's my choice. I've never received a moving violation in my life. How about you?
Old 29-04-2021, 20:01   #1483
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I get why someone would cross oceans, sail solo, climb mountains, jump out of plains, jaywalk ... done one or two "risky" things myself. I even understand why people like to smoke. I don't see the attraction of leaving oneself more open to catching a mostly preventable serious illness. What's the payoff?
Everyone's always looking for a payoff.. is that a N American thing..???
Like the guy in the Caribe who wanted $100 to ride me out to a boat the owner had asked him to show..

Old 29-04-2021, 20:02   #1484

Quote:
Mike, If someone won't take the vaccine for them self they sure as hell aren't going to take it to help others.
Ah yes, good point. But the comment I'm responding to is not this one. It's that this is only a personal choice that only affects the individual. This is objectively and demonstrably false. This is an excuse some people are using as cover.

To carry the analogy forward, if people won't drive reasonably the rest of society imposes stiff penalties on them. If people drove responsibly we wouldn't need laws and traffic cops. This is why we're inevitably going to have some sort of societal response to all those who only consider themselves when it comes to vaccines.

It's not what I want, much like I wish there were no need for traffic laws and cops. But sadly too many people can't understand that rights come with responsibilities, and unless you're living alone on an island, your actions in a pandemic affect more than just you.

Quote:
I recognize it's my choice. I've never received a moving violation in my life. How about you?
Are you asking have I ever done a stupid, selfish thing? You bet I have. I try to set a slight higher bar, especially when dealing with other people's lives.

(My last automotive violation of any kind, including a parking ticket, was over 35 years ago ... do I pass? Am I pure enough?)
Old 29-04-2021, 20:17   #1485

Quote:
But sadly too many people can't understand that rights come with responsibilities, and unless you're living alone on an island, your actions in a pandemic affect more than just you.
RIGHTS have no responsibilities with them, privilege's do.

Tags