Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 12:12   #691

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
NO. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the process of science is or does. Science fundamentally DOES NOT rely on so-called "common sense."

The process of science is necessary to combat against this highly flawed method of discerning reality. Understanding this fact is the first step in truly understanding what science does and how it works.
We are asked to use common sense AND accept science. Two separate statements. Never was it my suggestion that accepting science was common sense.
Sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 02-07-2021, 12:14   #692

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
We are asked to use common sense AND accept science. Two separate statements. Never was it my suggestion that accepting science was common sense.
Sorry for the misunderstanding

So, you could have said, there are pink flamingos AND accept science????
Old 02-07-2021, 12:16   #693
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Exactly, but,

Common sense is actually nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the age of eighteen. --Einstein
Likely explains my deep distrust of authority figures..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 02-07-2021, 12:52   #694
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I never said the earth was flat...but I find it interesting there are several flight paths for commercial airlines that make absolutely no sense distance wise on the globe, but make perfect sense laid over a map of *flat earth*. I would love to know the piece of the puzzle that explains that.
If you think flying from A to B is a matter of plotting the most direct path between two places, think again.

Security and political issues determine flight paths, and ticket prices, far more than considerations about an airline’s carbon footprint [distance flown] .
Pilots cannot just fly wherever they want. Apart from technical and practical matters like waypoints, and the Earth’s natural jet streams, there are also man-made constraints such as political, legal and financial restrictions on airspace, and agreed flight paths.

Old 02-07-2021, 13:28   #695

Quote:
So, you could have said, there are pink flamingos AND accept science????
The common sense comes into play when the science contradicts itself but we are told we should accept it. (Most of us were raised being told to use common sense)
Any *science* that requires you to ignore 100 years of proven scientific research should be approached with skepticism and common sense
Old 02-07-2021, 13:32   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If you think flying from A to B is a matter of plotting the most direct path between two places, think again.

Security and political issues determine flight paths, and ticket prices, far more than considerations about an airline’s carbon footprint [distance flown] .
Pilots cannot just fly wherever they want. Apart from technical and practical matters like waypoints, and the Earth’s natural jet streams, there are also man-made constraints such as political, legal and financial restrictions on airspace, and agreed flight paths.
All well and true, just interesting that several routes where shortest distance would be straight like a->b over open ocean are flown at nearly 75% further route over land/multiple countries. Especially when the longer 'land' route is shortest route when laid over a *flat earth* map.. it's just interesting
Old 02-07-2021, 14:02   #697

Quote:
The common sense comes into play when the science contradicts itself but we are told we should accept it. (Most of us were raised being told to use common sense)
Any *science* that requires you to ignore 100 years of proven scientific research should be approached with skepticism and common sense

All findings that come from the process of science are treated skeptically(scientific skepticism, which is not how many people use the term). Findings that challenge long-established facts or paradigms are treated with greater scrutiny.

Whatever common sense is, it doesn't inform this process.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:13   #698

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I don't believe in a flat earth although we could possibly have a hollow planet. Moon landing? I have no idea so no comment. However 9/11, I believe was most definitely a false flag. It is very hard to deny that it was not some sort of a controlled demolition.
So 9/11 was a giant conspiracy by Republicans?
And again who is they?
Old 02-07-2021, 14:15   #699

Quote:
All findings that come from the process of science are treated skeptically(scientific skepticism, which is not how many people use the term). Findings that challenge long-established facts or paradigms are treated with greater scrutiny.

Whatever common sense is, it doesn't inform this process.
All true, but when established patterns are disregarded and science is politicized for an agenda...common sense is needed. You keep trying to relate common sense to the scientific process and that WAS NOT my meaning. I was more on the *don't wizz on my back and try to scientifically tell me it's raining*... as a whole we are being told to accept science that contradicts reality, and in such cases one should have and use common sense
Old 02-07-2021, 14:17   #700
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
All well and true, just interesting that several routes where shortest distance would be straight like a->b over open ocean are flown at nearly 75% further route over land/multiple countries. Especially when the longer 'land' route is shortest route when laid over a *flat earth* map.. it's just interesting
Can you show us some examples?

Old 02-07-2021, 14:18   #701

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Aah, SV Adeline, you aren't being very clear. But, as a sailor, you do understand great circle routes?

The shortest route on Earth is not a straight line for long-distance travel. It is a great circle route. That's why planes leaving the U.S. fly way north on their way to Europe instead of a straight line on a map.

Sailors who cross the Atlantic Ocean always agonize over heading north to cut miles vs. staying south to reduce the chance of bad weather.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:20   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
So 9/11 was a giant conspiracy by Republicans?
And again who is they?
I find it interesting one of our alphabet agencies had the exact same scenario planned (to be blamed on Cuba)
Have no real clue who *they* are or what the plan is, but I'm really confused as to why there didn't seem to be any plane wreckage at the Pentagon. If there was some revealed, I would like to see those photos.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:36   #703

Quote:
All true, but when established patterns are disregarded and science is politicized for an agenda...common sense is needed. You keep trying to relate common sense to the scientific process and that WAS NOT my meaning. I was more on the *don't wizz on my back and try to scientifically tell me it's raining*... as a whole we are being told to accept science that contradicts reality, and in such cases one should have and use common sense
OK, most of this is just opinion or your own personal observation. It's not really open to scientific discussion. But you are making a claim which can be examined or explored. That is: "we are being told to accept science that contradicts reality."

So, to examine this scientifically: #1. Who is telling you this? And what is the "science*" that contradicts reality?

*By this I assume you mean a scientific finding. Science is a process. It's not a thing, or an authority.
Old 02-07-2021, 14:42   #704

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Who’s they?
https://brandnewtube.com/watch...deo...zlGbGYNn9.html

Watch and you will know, if you are interested in the answer at all. It may also teach you what science is.
Old 02-07-2021, 15:24   #705

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

OK, SV Adeline, I was so puzzled by your posts about routes that I had to read them again. Now I'm laughing.

Not only do you not have a clue about basic navigation, but even your error has an error.

In one post, you seem to be saying that it's a puzzle why planes take these routes that appear to be longer on a map. The answer to that, of course, is that they are taking great circle routes, which actually are shorter.

You know, Earth is kind of round. The closer you get to the poles, the shorter the distance around the world.

Then you seem to say that the route shown by a straight line on a map is shorter in actuality than a great circle route, which is dead wrong.

We should believe your conspiracy theories why? You don't even know basic principles of sailing.