Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 08:15   #316

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

The reportet figures are politically biased, as policies define the counting framework. Some countries report more honestly by disclosing what they are counting, others not so much.

Statistics in Germany count covid death as death caused by covid or occured with a positive covid test. So now this can be a huge difference of covid deaths caused by covid as we know. Knowing that only one percent of infections (some argue 2) are ending up deadly - that means only 2 percent of the counted deaths ase actually caused by covid and 99%... 98% are caused by other diseases but being tested positive.

Long Covid is neglectible in deaths counts I guess...

I know this will cause an uproar, and maybe the numbers are more different, but this shows that applied statistics can be used to show what you want to show and big numbers without context mean nothing. The statistics are intentionally made that broad and indifferent to scare people and push the containment and surveillance measures and finally the vaccination agenda.

It is called framing. Same for the WHO, that simply changed the definition of a pandemic, so COVID become one. The original definition relied on relations of infections to deaths. Now infections are more prominent in the definition, with the old definition COVID may not has qualified to be called a pandemic. The claim, we will see more pandemics in the future is unavoidable true by this changes in the definition and has nothing to do with climate change - but with policies and creating a huge market for new gen technologies.
Old 17-06-2021, 08:26   #317
CLOD

Boat: none

I was shocked this morning on the news to learn that only 52% of the US has gotten ONE dose of the vaccine. Meanwhile I got the 1 dose JJ and was wondering whether it was worth trying to get a dose of one of the others. Based on what I see at stores etc. that give the shots there does not appear to be any real demand for them now as compared to 2 months ago, yet still only 52% have got them. Here in Florida 51% have gotten 1 dose and the State in pretty much fully open and lot more people than 51% are walking around in stores maskless now.

I believe I got the vid last year. It had me trying to get to the see the doctor, who wouldn't see people and I cleared up by time I got in. I was pretty close to going to the ER. I definitely do not want to experience it again!
Old 17-06-2021, 08:50   #318

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Totally agree...the recommendations from the government is for the masses who think we all are ignorant and stupid with lots of politics involved and billions of dollars at stake. Nobody have yet to give a great explanation as to why you need to wear masks after you have had covid or the vaccine either. On March 6 the CDC found no evidence that wearing a mask made any difference in transmission but then they turn around and tell us to wear one anyway. Before they elections they said do not take the Trump vaccine it is to dangerous and it was rushed...Trump lost and the same people are ramming these vaccines down our throat. My point...you can not trust anything they are telling us because there is too much politics, control, and money involved.

In my thirty years of practice I never heard anyone being told to get the chicken pox vaccine, the measles vaccine, or a flue shot just after having the disease.

MY 2 Cents

Abe
My 2 cents--beware spreaders of disinformation on the internet.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/03/sc...duce-covid-19/
Old 17-06-2021, 09:00   #319
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My 2 cents--beware spreaders of disinformation on the internet.
what

it is on the internet, it has to be true
Old 17-06-2021, 09:02   #320
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I’m close to my second dose Moderna but it’s with mixed feelings and I’m not happy that I feel forced to take it to be able to travel.

It’s disgusting to hear they still want tests, quarantine and face masks for people, let alone for those fully vaccinated, when everyone has had the chance to vaccinate. Here in Florida it’s walk in and out, no lines, everyone who wants it has it.

Old 17-06-2021, 09:24   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I’m close to my second dose Moderna but it’s with mixed feelings and I’m not happy that I feel forced to take it to be able to travel.

It’s disgusting to hear they still want tests, quarantine and face masks for people, let alone for those fully vaccinated, when everyone has had the chance to vaccinate. Here in Florida it’s walk in and out, no lines, everyone who wants it has it.
Are there still restrictions on travel within the US? Restrictions on international travel are a given, till there's a better worldwide handle on COVID. No country has a right to force other countries to assume risk.

The more contagious Delta variant is making the rounds in the UK, and if the US doesn't get its vaccinations up, it's gonna kick ass in the US in the summer and fall. Which will make other countries even more reluctant to open again to US tourists, without proof of vaccination or other precautions.
Old 17-06-2021, 10:38   #322
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
... It is called framing. Same for the WHO, that simply changed the definition of a pandemic, so COVID become one. The original definition relied on relations of infections to deaths. Now infections are more prominent in the definition, with the old definition COVID may not has qualified to be called a pandemic ...
And, you got this absurd idea, where?

The World Health Organization defines an epidemic as “the occurrence in a community or region of cases of an illness ... clearly in excess of normal expectancy.”
The CDC defines it as “an increase, often sudden, in the number of cases of a disease above what is normally expected” in a region.

When it comes to defining a pandemic, things get a little more complicated.
I think one of the things people misunderstand, when it comes to pandemics, is it’s not about how severe it is, or how many cases there are, or even how worried we need to be. It’s literally about geography.
A pandemic is basically a widespread, or global global epidemic.

The WHO defines pandemic loosely as “the worldwide spread of a new disease.” The last time the WHO declared a pandemic was during the 2009 H1N1 swine flu.
According to “A Dictionary of Epidemiology”, the standard reference for epidemiologists, a pandemic is “an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people.”
Almost all uses of the term pandemic refer to diseases that extend over large geographic areas—for example, the 14th-century plague (the Black Death), cholera, influenza, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/AIDS.

“The effect of the definition of ‘pandemic’ on quantitative assessments of infectious disease outbreak risk” ~ by Benjamin J. Singer et al
“... The term ‘pandemic’ has no corresponding theoretical definition, and there is no consensus mathematical approach to determining the probability of a pandemic ...”
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81814-3

“The elusive definition of pandemic influenza” ~ by Peter Doshi corresponding author [2011]
“... WHO did not change its definition of pandemic influenza for the simple reason that it has never formally defined pandemic influenza ...”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127275/

Old 17-06-2021, 11:37   #323

Joshua Garza had a chance to get vaccinated against COVID-19 in January but he passed it up, thinking he didn't really need it. Now, the 43-year-old Texan is hoping to inspire others to get the shot after he became so ill following his COVID-19 diagnosis that he needed a rare double lung transplant to survive.

After testing positive for COVID-19 in late January, Garza's health deteriorated rapidly. On Feb. 2, when he ended up falling while trying to walk, his wife called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He was ultimately transferred to Houston Methodist, where he was put on an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine to pump and oxygenate his blood for him.

"It was quick, it was within three weeks, the lungs were already shot,"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 17-06-2021, 11:57   #324

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Vaccination against Covid-19 saves lives, period. Some choose not to get vaccinated, and with rare exception, there is no swaying their belief. Those who are inclined, get vaccinated and wear masks. Those who aren't inclined to vaccinate, will be part of natural selection.
Old 17-06-2021, 12:05   #325

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
All zombies act the same. That's what makes them Zombies. Any fan of zombie movies will tell you that.

Nonononono
There are old school zombies, slow and dumb. There there were fast zombies and now there are fast thinking planning zombies.

Ya gotta keep up with the zombie evolution
Old 17-06-2021, 12:07   #326

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Vaccination against Covid-19 saves lives, period. Some choose not to get vaccinated, and with rare exception, there is no swaying their belief. Those who are inclined, get vaccinated and wear masks. Those who aren't inclined to vaccinate, will be part of natural selection.
Yes. Unfortunately they'll also take down a small, but not insignificant, number of the rest of us since no vaccine gives 100% protection. Further, by not vaccinating, they help perpetuate the pandemic and provide an easy evolutionary path for more variants to arise.

(I know you know all this Ben.)
Old 17-06-2021, 14:32   #327

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Are there still restrictions on travel within the US? Restrictions on international travel are a given, till there's a better worldwide handle on COVID. No country has a right to force other countries to assume risk.

The more contagious Delta variant is making the rounds in the UK, and if the US doesn't get its vaccinations up, it's gonna kick ass in the US in the summer and fall. Which will make other countries even more reluctant to open again to US tourists, without proof of vaccination or other precautions.
Here in Florida we have visitors from all over the US. Masks in lyft/Uber and a couple stores (ups and cvs). No restrictions.

I'm Frontline in the hospitality industry and we are back to pre-covid standards. Matter of fact upper management sent out an email yesterday to that affect (no masks, no gloves, focus on guest satisfaction etc)
Old 17-06-2021, 15:35   #328

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Joshua Garza had a chance to get vaccinated against COVID-19 in January but he passed it up, thinking he didn't really need it. Now, the 43-year-old Texan is hoping to inspire others to get the shot after he became so ill following his COVID-19 diagnosis that he needed a rare double lung transplant to survive.

After testing positive for COVID-19 in late January, Garza's health deteriorated rapidly. On Feb. 2, when he ended up falling while trying to walk, his wife called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He was ultimately transferred to Houston Methodist, where he was put on an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine to pump and oxygenate his blood for him.

"It was quick, it was within three weeks, the lungs were already shot,"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp
And then, of course, there are these people, too... that don't make into the MSN.

https://www.c19vaxreactions.com/real-stories.html
Old 17-06-2021, 16:10   #329

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Interesting, posted a link to a January 2021 NIH research paper on the previous page and not a peep from the "science and facts matter" crowd here.

You'd figure that with the recent info coming out about the biodistribution of these vaccines as well as the cases of cardiovascular issues, particularly in young men, what the authors say in this now somewhat dated paper would be of interest.

SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Elicits Cell Signaling in Human Host Cells: Implications for Possible Consequences of COVID-19 Vaccines

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...lUxbZ5HA0ekbYA
Old 17-06-2021, 16:19   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Do you have a source for this NP? I've read one study so far which found statistically identical levels of protection, but I've read a number which find vaccines are superior (ranging from slightly to significantly). I've also read some research pointing to the differences induced by natural exposure vs vaccine. Seems to me we don't yet know the answer to "which is better." Although it's clear both routes provide some level of protection.
One of those links you provided actually breaks down the additional immune responses that natural Covid exposure generates vs mRNA vaccine exposure. Obviously, based on the metrics, both are highly effective.

Just Google "Covid re-infection rate". You will see numbers all over the place because re-infection rate estimates suffer from the same estimation problems as the overall infection rate.

Denmark study (.65%)
Becker Hospital Review (0.4%)
UK SIREN study (.66%)