Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 09:58   #1

Covid vaccine after having covid

I had covid and felt like crap for a few days and after my 2 weeks was up I felt fine. I talked to the heath department and they said the CDC recommends waiting 2 weeks after having covid before getting vaccinated. So another 2 weeks go by and I get the first moderna shot. Arm stung some but nothing too crazy. Following day I felt worse then when I did have covid. another 24 hrs later and I'm mostly better. Has anyone else had this happen to them after having covid and getting vaccinated shortly after?
Old 17-04-2021, 10:19   #2

Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

Your immune response to the vaccination is the norm expected for a person that has previously had COVID.

Your system was primed by having had previously infected to respond to the presence of the indicator spike proteins of the vaccines.

Your antibodies will be significantly elevated by your inoculation, far higher than what your system will have had established due to having been infected and recovered.

All is good.
Old 17-04-2021, 10:45   #3

FYI

Covid Survivors May Require Just One Shot of a Two-Dose Vaccine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 17-04-2021, 11:44   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

If somebody has had a verifiable covid infection (with symptoms), why on earth they would choose to get one of these so-called vaccines escapes me. I know that we have multibillion dollar ad campaigns in favor of everybody getting the shots, but seriously? You have natural immunity! Please link me to either the science, or the argument that would convince you to get the shots after having the virus. I don't get it.
Old 17-04-2021, 12:47   #5

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
If somebody has had a verifiable covid infection (with symptoms), why on earth they would choose to get one of these so-called vaccines escapes me. I know that we have multibillion dollar ad campaigns in favor of everybody getting the shots, but seriously? You have natural immunity! Please link me to either the science, or the argument that would convince you to get the shots after having the virus. I don't get it.
Because with the new variants, people are getting reinfected with Covid. I know of someone who has had it 3 times now.
Old 17-04-2021, 13:13   #6

Having had Covid or not, some people react a bit to the vaccine. I know two who had covid and the shot with no big issues.

Old 17-04-2021, 14:12   #7

Lots of people have had the kind of reaction that you did. It is a gross generalization, but people who have had COVID tend to react to the vaccines more than those who have not.
Old 18-04-2021, 09:46   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
That simply is not right.
You cannot ascertain that you have immunity to any infection without actual tests being performed.
Not everyone reacts the same to the same infection.
Getting vaccinated only helps with the likely symptoms you'd have if you didn't vaccinate.
This in turn helps with the slowing of the spread.
Because you vaccinate, does not mean you won't spread the virus.
Vaccinated individuals, can expect milder symptoms than unvaccinated individuals.
SV Cloud Duster
Old 18-04-2021, 09:57   #9

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

Had COVID
Had 2 shots Pfizer
Sick for 2 days after both shots
Same symptoms as COVID
Old 18-04-2021, 10:16   #10

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
...I know of someone who has had it 3 times now.
He's not called Worthing is he? To catch Covid once may be regarded as a misfortune...
Old 18-04-2021, 10:37   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Because you are not immune for life.

One year and two months after recovering from COVID, I got my first shot of Pfizer. Last week I got the second one.

Best guess is that natural immunity probably doesn't last more than a year.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 95% effective, and 100% effective against severe cases. This is now known based not only on the results of the clinical trials, but based on massive amounts of real world data since hundreds of millions of doses have now been administered. See for example results in Israel: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-protection

The Israelis were the first to get more than 50% of their population vaccinated, and they have already almost stopped the pandemic entirely, with 18 daily cases per million as of today (compare to 212 in the U.S. so far, down from 750 a couple of months ago).

My case of COVID was a severe one, and I wouldn't want to go through that again for anything. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life and might have been fatal if I weren't so lucky as to be in such excellent health.

People's reactions to the vaccine vary, but mine were mild. After the first shot, nothing but a sore arm. After the second shot, a very sore arm and a day of feeling a bit sick. Very small price to pay for immunity.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2021, 10:47   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post
Had COVID
Had 2 shots Pfizer
Sick for 2 days after both shots
Same symptoms as COVID
Similar antibody response of course, but your 2 day reaction to vaccination is hardly the same as an actual Covid infection. Symptoms last longer, are often much more severe, and may do permanent harm. Emergency room care and death are real possibilities. Be grateful you have been vaccinated and move on.
Old 18-04-2021, 10:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccine after having covid

New slogan..
Had Covid, Will Travel..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 18-04-2021, 11:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
. . . Because you vaccinate, does not mean you won't spread the virus.. .

Data is accumulating that vaccination considerably inhibits vaccinated people from spreading the virus.

See: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm and https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...h=33f469662d93
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2021, 11:37   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Because you are not immune for life.

Best guess is that natural immunity probably doesn't last more than a year.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 95% effective, and 100% effective against severe cases. This is now known based not only on the results of the clinical trials, but based on massive amounts of real world data since hundreds of millions of doses have now been administered. See for example results in Israel: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-protection

The Israelis were the first to get more than 50% of their population vaccinated, and they have already almost stopped the pandemic entirely, with 18 daily cases per million as of today (compare to 212 in the U.S. so far, down from 750 a couple of months ago).

My case of COVID was a severe one, and I wouldn't want to go through that again for anything. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life and might have been fatal if I weren't so lucky as to be in such excellent health.

People's reactions to the vaccine vary, but mine were mild. After the first shot, nothing but a sore arm. After the second shot, a very sore arm and a day of feeling a bit sick. Very small price to pay for immunity.
Sorry Dock, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think you are misinformed. I have seen no studies claiming long term immunity from the shots (They are already planning booster shots). There is research claiming "robust" immunity from natural infection https://science.sciencemag.org/conte.../eabf4063.full
My understanding of the trials for these shots was that they didn't even evaluate them in relation to severe cases (only mild cases in low risk individuals). Yet you claim that they are "100% effective against severe cases". The link that you posted,
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-protection states
Quote:
The top line of the real-world results, issued by the Israeli ministry of health and the companies but not yet peer-reviewed by scientists, is efficacy of 97% against disease and death and 94% against infection without symptoms.
and
Quote:
Last month a paper from Israel’s largest health provider, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, said the vaccine appeared to have 94% efficacy against symptomatic illness and 92% against severe disease.
The claim of 100% effectiveness
is false.
I added a NYT link about natural immunity:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/h...-immunity.html