Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 11:23   #16

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
Re: Crewing and Covid 19

If you are willing, find a captain that will let you quarantine local to the vessel. No blood test with accuracy yet but the good old 14 day no fever-no symptoms seems to be the global gold standard at present. There have to be some captains in need of safe crew willing to pay for a 14 day accomodation to ensure boat safety.
Old 19-04-2020, 12:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
A more accurate statement would be, 'it could lead to everyone onboard being exposed & test positive for SARS-COV2.'

Statistically speaking, less than ~80% of people who test positive for SARS-COV2 will develop Covid-19.

Excellent and accurate distinction made.

And then I suppose that 100% could become vectors, which runs up the Rnaught potential.

I suppose one could crew a large catamarran and make sure the newcomer stays on their half of the boat, or split the boat down its length and tell the new comer to stay forward while the master stays aft and they never wander from their assigned duty stations. Fore and aft perhaps being viable for a half-boat [read monohull] with a long enough LOA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	her-hes-probably-871c9fc30d.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	213225  
Old 19-04-2020, 15:35   #18

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Unfortunately most areas still only are eating those with symptoms
The results of the US aircraft carrier crew revealed that of the positive sailors tested, approximately 50% had no symptoms... asymptomatic carriers
Read up on Typhoid Mary about how difficult it is to determine asymptomatic carriers...they remain invisible without widespread testing and contact tracing.We, the USA, are not even close to making that happen.

QUOTE=Discovery 15797;3121064]A more accurate statement would be, 'it could lead to everyone onboard being exposed & test positive for SARS-COV2.'

Statistically speaking, less than ~80% of people who test positive for SARS-COV2 will develop Covid-19. [/QUOTE]
Old 19-04-2020, 16:12   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Theory View Post
Are there any ways that I can prove to Captains that I am corona virus free? If possible, I would like to seek opportunities on serving as crew.
Given that no captains are going anywhere at the moment (as everywhere is closed) whether or not you can prove you're Covid free would seem to be a moot point. Just sit tight and try not to get your boxers in a knot
Old 19-04-2020, 16:22   #20

Boat: 1978 O'day 27

To the OP; currently there are a number of rtPCR tests(nasal swab) that can detect an "active" COVID-19 infection. From what I have read, the jury is still out on wether or not these tests can detect a low virus titre, asymptomatic individual.
To find out if you have been infected and recovered from whatever symptoms you may or may not have had, a test to detect antibodies against the (hopefully cleared)SARS COV-2 virus will be necessary. The gold std. for this is a blood sample/ELISA conducted at an approved lab. It is my understanding that currently no such test has been thoroughly vetted/approved. The "dipstick"(home use) tests that are circulating right now are basically garbage; may as well flip a coin.
I would suggest you kick back for now and keep your eyes on the CDC, WHO and local Co. Health Dept. websites for direction on when the validated antibody tests will be available to you. Armed with a neg. PCR and a pos. antibody test you(and the rest of us) can feel somewhat OK about gett'n back to business. Notwithstanding the fact that this virus is new enough that nobody knows how long the anamnestic(latent immune) response will last. Caveat emptor.
Old 19-04-2020, 16:28   #21

Here you go, Time Theory:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ay-232512.html

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 19-04-2020, 17:08   #22

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark43 View Post
Unfortunately most areas still only are eating those with symptoms
The results of the US aircraft carrier crew revealed that of the positive sailors tested, approximately 50% had no symptoms... asymptomatic carriers
Read up on Typhoid Mary about how difficult it is to determine asymptomatic carriers...they remain invisible without widespread testing and contact tracing.We, the USA, are not even close to making that happen.
On April 16, ~60% of the 600 sailors who tested positive for SARS-Cov-2 virus showed no symptoms.

As of 16 hours ago, 94% of the crew has been tested. There are 669 positive test results and 3,913 negative results. 8 sailors are in the hospital, 1 is in ICU, and 1 died. All this according to Pacific Daily News.

So, if we look at the USS Teddy Roosevelt as a petri dish, about 14% of the population was infected with the virus. About 1.5% of those infected required hospitalization (so far). .14% of the cases ended in death.

This CDC page will provide more relevant information on this particular virus as compared to reading about Mary Mallon. It's a short read.

I'm not sure what USA you live in, but I know that some states have been more effective in combating this compared to others. I also know that molecular tests only show if you have SARS-Cov-2 virus at the time of testing. It's very possible to test negative today, go pick up some food or stop at Starbucks and test positive ~5 days later. WRT testing, Abbot has produced rapid tests that were approved by the FDA last week and expect to produce 50,000 per week. That, along with antibody testing that was also recently approved by the FDA will give scientists a much better picture.

IMHO, the call to have everyone tested (molecular) is a red-herring, unless we are also willing to immediately quarantine in isolation those people who test positive until after a 14 -21 day period and 2 molecular tests return a negative result.

Tags
crew, crewing