Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 17:36   #1

Crewing during Corona

Long shot question, but I’ve been increasingly curious. With oodles of time on my hands, and no commitments in the near future, ignoring all other current world events this is an ideal time for me to be able to commit to long periods of time crewing. I have almost no experience (one summer racing dinghies in LI sound) and lots of book knowledge.

Is it any kind of realistic for captains being in need of crew during the next number of months? Or is it pretty much 100% hunkered down?

Aside from being virus free, tested and quarantined, which is a consideration to figure out with the captain during interview, if even possible.
Old 24-07-2020, 20:06   #2

Talking Re: Crewing during Corona

Maybe let me add - as I feel weird now during these weird times to even ask. As I’m exploring options, pretty much every time I bump up against its way better if you just STAY HOME. So, if crewing is definitively bad, or even just “probably not a good idea” and bad timing, I’ll accept no problem. Are then other ways to constructively spend time building relevant skills? Just trying to make good use of time is all. (While being landlocked) Thanks :-)
Old 12-08-2020, 16:00   #3

Re: Crewing during Corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertusg View Post
Maybe let me add - as I feel weird now during these weird times to even ask. As I’m exploring options, pretty much every time I bump up against its way better if you just STAY HOME. So, if crewing is definitively bad, or even just “probably not a good idea” and bad timing, I’ll accept no problem. Are then other ways to constructively spend time building relevant skills? Just trying to make good use of time is all. (While being landlocked) Thanks :-)
I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as you. At age 60, crewing is too risky for me, as I can't be 100% sure the captain and other crew have properly quarantined before the trip.

So until a vaccine is available or I buy my own boat (in the works) , I'm taking online sailing courses at NauticEd.com. The courses are thorough and cover many topics, plus you can proceed at your own pace. Cost is very reasonable.

I'm also watching YouTube sailing videos. Two channels I recommend are Nautilus Sailing and Patrick Laine. They both cover sailing basics.
Steve

Tags
crew, crewing